SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not stereotyping anyone. I am just pointing out that people do snap. And all older women are not hags, wasn't saying that at all. I am older and I look darn good for my age.

You tell it Mama- me too !!!

I posted previously it might seems a perfect opportunity for someone else (or ex) to be aware of Heathers relationship w/OM and take that as a perfect opportunity to get her out of the picture & have blame on OM. After doing the dirty deed you could then text OM from her phone (leading to OM saying don't call me anymore). Then all the heat/attention would be focused somewhere else & you could literally get away w/murder while everybody else is all riled up.......

Can't help but feel there were two people involved !!!! Maybe only an accessory but involved nevertheless !!!!:

I did a street level view on google maps all the way through the route she would take from her apartment to get to PTL. Mostly residential, some businesses. This is assuming of course, she went straight from the apartment there.

There were a couple of gas stations, other than that not much that I could think of in the way of cameras.

Which road did you take - Burcale or Forestbrook. I know it would seem that the most direct route is Burcale, but the main road traveled is actually Forestbrook for most locals - especially late at night. Burcale and McCormmick are both rather dark roads, with Burcale being more of a troublesome area (not a place you want to breakdown, get stuck, or have something happen.)

Forestbrook is mostly residential with a few business scattered throughout. There are quite a few wooded area, open fields, and 2 or 3 new residential construction areas going up. Other than the Dollar General located mid-way, and the gas station on the corner of Dick Pond and Forestbrook, I don't think there would be any video footage from Forestbrook Road.

There is also the option of taking 31 over to 544 and then hoping on Dick Pond Road to get to PTL. If you were to take that route, the gas station on the corner of Dick Pond, and the one on the Wacammaw BLVD would be the only place that would have video footage.

My hunch is she did drive the car there. Her personal familiarity with the place would indicate that anyway. If a perp did it he would have to know her well enough to know this, and that to me seems like it would likely be uncovered eventually.
I haven't decided which yet. I could see HE driving there to think or meet someone. But I could also see, if HE disappearance was caused by someone she knows, her car being abandoned there to make it look like she left it there. There is also the chance that HE was on her way somewhere (like parents house for some reason) and random occurrence led to her being kidnapped and the car left in a convenient location to the Perp(s).

In any case, it would appear that whomever left the car there, is a local and knows the area enough to know there would be a dead end to leave a car where someone might not report it for at least a day. (A car in a place where you might take out a boat would not be unusual).

As someone mentioned earlier( and I have been thinking about it since), it does seem to me that if LE could obtain and compare Heather's cell phone pings alongside OMM AND OMW during the night she was last seen, then they may have more evidence to go forth with .

As someone mentioned earlier( and I have been thinking about it since), it does seem to me that if LE could obtain and compare Heather's cell phone pings alongside OMM AND OMW during the night she was last seen, then they may have more evidence to go forth with .

Could they do that without a warrant, or without one or both being named POI?

I go back and forth on how the car got to PTL. I think it's very possible she drove it there if she was meeting someone she knew and trusted and was familiar with the area. It's also very possible that it was dumped...just don't know...

Thanks Clu, is there also a link to daily police logs or reports? Specifically looking for a missing person report (Angie Pipkin).

IDK if this has already been answered or not but spotcrime.com is the one I frequently use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which road did you take - Burcale or Forestbrook. I know it would seem that the most direct route is Burcale, but the main road traveled is actually Forestbrook for most locals - especially late at night. Burcale and McCormmick are both rather dark roads, with Burcale being more of a troublesome area (not a place you want to breakdown, get stuck, or have something happen.)

Forestbrook is mostly residential with a few business scattered throughout. There are quite a few wooded area, open fields, and 2 or 3 new residential construction areas going up. Other than the Dollar General located mid-way, and the gas station on the corner of Dick Pond and Forestbrook, I don't think there would be any video footage from Forestbrook Road.

There is also the option of taking 31 over to 544 and then hoping on Dick Pond Road to get to PTL. If you were to take that route, the gas station on the corner of Dick Pond, and the one on the Wacammaw BLVD would be the only place that would have video footage.

I took forestbrook as it seems the most logical route. Some gas stations and a few businesses on the way but otherwise not much. Doesn't appear to be any type of traffic cams either.

There's an estimated 185,000 unsolved murder cases and SC has a fairly high solve rate.

Just because a crime goes unsolved doesn't mean adequate resources weren't invested. Even in cases where numerous federal and state agencies are asked for help, they have gone unsolved.

Doesn't the number of unsolved cases support the argument that if LE was willing to release more information to the public, earlier in the case or even later, having more details about a crime might increase the odds of cases being solved?

None of the trained professionals are around when the crime is committed.
Also the idea of advancing shared data systems needs improvement.
DNA input is way behind throughout the country. DNA bank input should be a priority imo.

My hunch is she did drive the car there. Her personal familiarity with the place would indicate that anyway. If a perp did it he would have to know her well enough to know this, and that to me seems like it would likely be uncovered eventually.

Since we really don't know the time frame involved if Heathers car was found on 19th-maybe a perp could have held her hostage for a day or two and then have her drive the car over at any time after securing boat/hiding place? Since LE "found" it at 7PM on 19th.
I remember reading somewhere that OM had money..Would it be possible for someone to grab Heather and then try to exact a ransom?? Just thinking out loud since we have no details to go by except as reported in press?

Doesn't the number of unsolved cases support the argument that if LE was willing to release more information to the public, earlier in the case or even later, having more details about a crime might increase the odds of cases being solved?

None of the trained professionals are around when the crime is committed.
Also the idea of advancing shared data systems needs improvement.
DNA input is way behind throughout the country. DNA bank input should be a priority imo.

I think they have released all the relevant information they can already. If they feel that releasing certain pieces of information could compromise the case in any way imaginable they aren't going to do it. Too much information and public assistance quickly turns into public interference.

There have been cases which have been affected by well meaning people that have accidentally ruined certain pieces of evidence or a crime scene entirely.

I understand and "get it" that jurors need concrete evidence to convict a POI (yes, we no longer like circumstantial evidence as a whole in the judicial system), we have many more newer forensic "tools" that LE can use such as:

• GPS, pings, phone records, texts
  • SM databases and computer/internet harddrives
  • Video surveillance from homeowners & businesses
  • Live time alerts thru internet broadcasts
  • Larger rewards for information being offered via computer "broadcasts" of such
  • Specialized search teams and canine detection dogs
  • Currency transactions being more "digitized" than ever leaving a "path"
  • Advanced DNA and tDNA technology
  • Criminal profilers with a high degree of accuracy via FBI
That being said, what has been utilized in HE's case??? It's a case which in my opinion is very simple to resolve at face value if we implore the Occum's Razor philosophy.

moo

Thank you, ATaste and Foxfire.

Something I've been thinking about too is that the law enforcement officers and all others in crime solving workforce populations, have to catch up with the technology. As the generation of now begins filling these roles, they'll be better equipped to incorporate the technology available to help solve crimes.

Even if a fifty year old person takes a course in computers and cellphones, their understanding isn't the same as someone who grew up always using them and was present for all the advances taking place every day. The workforce hasn't caught up to the technologies available either in mindset or experience. In addition it takes money to upgrade, hire technical savvy employees and hand more power over to these new divisions (always an issue to balance the need of varied sources all being equally important and recognized as such).

Make sense?

I think they have released all the relevant information they can already. If they feel that releasing certain pieces of information could compromise the case in any way imaginable they aren't going to do it. Too much information and public assistance quickly turns into public interference.

There have been cases which have been affected by well meaning people that have accidentally ruined certain pieces of evidence or a crime scene entirely.

Yes, while that does make a lot of since to me, if they really have any substantial information , it seems there would be a POI NAMED AND TRULY INVESTIGATED BY NOW .

not to imply these LEO might condone mob mentality justice-but I've heard it mentioned personally amongst smaller LE's that such behavior might make it easier to "take care of things".It also might work to create a more "compliant" mentality amongst perps who might think they'd be left unprotected to the whims of a mob. Kinda like either you tell me what you know or I can't protect you (and intentionally not releasing any info).
It seems to be much more prevalent in southern states :moo:

Which, if true, is a crime in and of itself imo.

Snowyowl, I want to hug and pet your Snowyowl picture but for real!
Even if I had a snowyowl available, I know he wouldn't let me.
Doesn't he look like he's ready for a conversation though? lol!

Do we know for sure ,without a doubt that HE did not visit the emergency room the afternoon before her date? I know with HIPPA laws that information would not be given out.Did LE release an official statement saying this was another HE? And if so,has LE ever given info as such to throw people off?

Oh I know but there must be other ways to improve results.
In reality, LE hasn't released any official information. All we know are four names that were provided to LE to begin questioning - don't even know if all of them were brought in to the station or if only phone interviews took place.

In Caylee's case, where lots of discovery was released leading up to the trial, LE would conduct a phone interview and then ask the person to come into the station with their phone letting the person know that they'd like to see it if possible. LE, at times, kept the person's phone for a day or two or longer, or their computer as well. LE would ask if they had permission to copy the info - this is all coming back to me - and usually the person said, 'yes'. This didn't mean the persons were suspects but that they may have coordinating information or just that LE wanted backup of what they told LE during their interviews to outrule them (comparing phone and in person interviews to include where LE can look into their eyes and observe body language). LE isn't going to write a report, and let it stand alone, simply based on he said she said imo.

We don't know one iota of what LE has done to collect evidence in this case imo.

Thank you, ATaste and Foxfire.

Something I've been thinking about too is that the law enforcement officers and all others in crime solving workforce populations, have to catch up with the technology. As the generation of now begins filling these roles, they'll be better equipped to incorporate the technology available to help solve crimes.

Even if a fifty year old person takes a course in computers and cellphones, their understanding isn't the same as someone who grew up always using them and was present for all the advances taking place every day. The workforce hasn't caught up to the technologies available either in mindset or experience. In addition it takes money to upgrade, hire technical savvy employees and hand more power over to these new divisions (always an issue to balance the need of varied sources all being equally important and recognized as such).

Make sense?

Woe - This post should be a sticky! Well said!!!

I know of "techie" LE who couldn't figure out how to navigate WS, let alone the many tools we commonly use here as sleuthers (eg.Wayback Machine, Cache, Historical Google Time Searches, Exif and Gps Data on Photos, PIPL, Maps; Facebook "like/comment/place" searches etc.)

No question there is a generation gap operating in local police services around your country and mine. The problem is the warp speed that tech has grown. That's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member