Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two charged with obstructing justice in Heather Elvis missing person case

52e86c16de6e1.preview-300.jpg

William Christopher Barrett (left) and Garrett Ryan Starnes (right) have been charged with obstructing justice after police said in a report they interfered with the Heather Elvis investigation.

A police report says the first suspect made a post on Facebook stating that indictments were coming for a person and that the Department of Social Services were coming to take that person's children.

"This created a community reaction that diverted investigating officers," the report said.

The report also said the suspect told a witness he was investigating the incident for the victim's family. Police said in the report the questioning was an attempt to access confidential information about the ongoing law enforcement investigation.

The suspect also conducted an independent search of a location in Horry County that revealed potential evidence and didn't immediately report it to investigating officers, according to the report.

Kegler said in the statement that Starnes also "fabricated misleading information" regarding Elvis' disappearance, and then relayed the false information to law enforcement.

This information was then posted to a social media site, causing investigating officers to obtain legal process regarding the information which diverted them from legitimate leads, Kegler's statement and the police report said.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_ae82099c-885c-11e3-b373-001a4bcf6878.html

If anything was actually falsified...I have no sympathy for anyone charged. I don't care how emotional a case is, that is the quickest way to make sure it never gets to court, IMO. If there are POI's and they have a defense attorney, they are loving this, IMO. I am just finding it amazing that people on the page just don't get it, though I shouldn't, I guess...JMO

BBM and ITA!

JMO only...national coverage is not going to matter in the end, in this case. JMO it is all extremely local, maybe extending a county or so at most. Yeah, more coverage the better, etc. but it is not "good" coverage to me...good coverage would be far more activity on the part of local media and reporters. JMO

I suppose national coverage could put more pressure on the suspects? Or maybe if national media outlets starting calling LE, they would be more likely to have a PC? I don't think it will make much of a difference, and I think the clamouring for it is merely for symbolic reasons.

I suppose national coverage could put more pressure on the suspects? Or maybe if national media outlets starting calling LE, they would be more likely to have a PC? I don't think it will make much of a difference, and I think the clamouring for it is merely for symbolic reasons.

Somehow I don't think LE would respond much to national media. They went all through that in BD's case. It wouldn't be new to them. Now if national media prints a suspect/POI name, that could get interesting IMO. Or takes on that FB page for a story.

You said, "HE just got more national news coverage." She wanted to know what "more national news coverage" is hE getting? She was pointing out that the Dateline piece was done prior to today and the two men getting arrested. You responded saying. When did I say that, with a chill out animation. I provided you with your quote. So, you didn't mean it just got more "national new coverage"? Or did you? I don't live near you and nothing broke hear about the case.

Heres how it went - sorry to confuse you

lovinlife83;10177859]Looking at the positives, HE just got more national news coverage.

What national media outlets have picked up the story about the arrest of the two men?
It looks like Dateline's segment about the case was done before, and is not related in any way...

When did I say they were?
:chillout:

"Looking at the positives, HE just got more national news coverage."

I never mentioned the arrest of the 2 men. I was talking about the positives in this case today.

according to the dateline link - this piece was from today - they added it 3 hours ago. No it doesn't mention the 2 arrests - I never said it did.

:seeya:

My prayers and thoughts tonight are with all those people that love Heather. I know those 2 guys did wrong, but IMO, things were getting desperate in the home camp and they thought they were helping. Family should hire a Private eye instead of doing things on their own. I would be desperate also if my loved one was missing. I would be out there doing my own thing and probably end up in the slammer also.

Obviously technology is not a strong point for the HCPD. Redacting by highlighting text the color black, super generic blog run through wordpress.com without its own domain name, etc.

Not sure we would know. If she was involved in an affair that had to be kept somewhat secret, I doubt she would give away her meeting places, if any.

I believe her dad stated she'd go there & maybe VI stated too-Except I believe it was also stated unlikely to go at an early hour or by herself.

Another thing jumped out at me-since it's not run through their own domain might it be possible for anyone to hack it and keep an eye on edits/etc? Look at all the questionable press hacking that's been going on by the Murdoch bunch,etc. Lots of kids even know how to do this stuff and it doesn't take a genius. I didn't notice they were using a generic wordpress blog without their own domain..Really??

I would say a wordpress.com blog is actually less likely to be hacked than a blog on running on its own domain name. If your blog is on Wordpress.com you are using their server which you don't have control over. I'm sure that a wordpress.com blog is more secure than buying a domain and slapping a blog on it with a run-of-the-mill shared web hosting plan.

Either way, using wordpress.com looks super unprofessional for any official organization IMO.

My prayers and thoughts tonight are with all those people that love Heather. I know those 2 guys did wrong, but IMO, things were getting desperate in the home camp and they thought they were helping. Family should hire a Private eye instead of doing things on their own. I would be desperate also if my loved one was missing. I would be out there doing my own thing and probably end up in the slammer also.

How is keeping evidence from LE helping Heather?

I believe her dad stated she'd go there & maybe VI stated too-Except I believe it was also stated unlikely to go at an early hour or by herself.

Unless that was a meeting place she had used before. I am not convinced her family knew as much about her recent life as they may have thought, JMO.

Heres how it went - sorry to confuse you

:seeya:

Quote:
lovinlife83;10177859]Looking at the positives, HE just got more national news coverage.

So, based on your statement, one would conclude that you are finding the positives in what happen today and from that "HE just get more national news coverage." So again....where?

The one on the poster I am looking at right now is 843-915-tips - if you are saying that this is not a LE number, I don't understand. This is the number listed on the horry county police website all the way to the left under "crime tips"
http://police.horrycounty.org/Home.aspx

I have already said that is the number to call. It is LE. Not sure what else I can say. Sorry, but I am not understanding your question.

Quote:

So, based on your statement, one would conclude that you are finding the positives in what happen today and from that "HE just get more national news coverage." So again....where?

On dateline

I have already said that is the number to call. It is LE. Not sure what else I can say. Sorry, but I am not understanding your question.

So which number are you saying is incorrect then? You guys were saying they were telling people to call a number that is NOT LE?

That case does not seem at all similar, IMO...

I agree it seems different on the face of it but it is causing me to rethink what may have happened. There are just to many missing from that one county for it to be coincidence

Quote:

Dateline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member