Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CarolinaAsh View Post
K, got permission from Salem to bring this over here...

It was stated by TE on FB that the correct wording used by the man Tuesday is the quote used in this article:

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...6#.UvaaD_ldXG4

It is NOT the quote stated "We have Heather." Biggggg difference to me.

--------

So - we are supposed to take this new version from TE as the truth, and not believe what he said to the police right after it happened?

I do not think they will prosecute the case without finding Heather. I could only find 3 examples in the past 25 years of no body cases in Horry County. Also, the Supreme Court in South Carolina says prosecutors must show signs of criminal conduct, such as blood stains, before there can be a conviction. Lastly, if Horry County is not speaking out much because they are worried about their reputation, tourism, well, a no-body case is very unusual, and is sure to bring a lot of attention to the area. It's also risky, and there's a chance they could lose the trial, and a murderer could get away with it. So if what people are saying about Horry County and MB is true, it doesn't seem like the place that is going to try a no-body trial.

Is the Supreme Court decision something you have a link for? I have been searching for this and have not been able to find anything about criteria. Thanks.

Is the Supreme Court decision something you have a link for? I have been searching for this and have not been able to find anything about criteria. Thanks.

I don't have a link b/c it's from this newspaper archive database I have access too. It's a 1998 article from the The State (newspaper out of Columbia, SC).

In murder cases where there is no body , the Supreme Court ruled a defendant could be convicted if prosecutors prove the only explanation for a disappearance is that the person was killed.

Using circumstantial or direct evidence, prosecutors must show that a victim's habits and routine were disrupted, the court ruled. That must prove the person didn't voluntarily disappear.

The court ruled prosecutors then must provide evidence of criminal conduct, such as blood stains, linked to the disappearance.

Here's a citation (incase I can't post it w/o a link):

ALLARD, JOHN. "MAN ON TRIAL FOR WIFE'S MURDER MISSING VICTIM CASE SECOND SUCH IN STATE." State, The (Columbia, SC) 10 Aug. 1998, FINAL, METRO/REGION: B1. NewsBank. Web. 9 Feb. 2014

I'm not sure what the exact case name was.

Originally Posted by CarolinaAsh View Post
K, got permission from Salem to bring this over here...

It was stated by TE on FB that the correct wording used by the man Tuesday is the quote used in this article:

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...6#.UvaaD_ldXG4

It is NOT the quote stated "We have Heather." Biggggg difference to me.

--------

So - we are supposed to take this new version from TE as the truth, and not believe what he said to the police right after it happened?

I think the point is that MSM published the quote wrong. Given that TE was the victim in this encounter and TE was the one that gave the information to LE and MSM, it would seem he would know, right? But.. you have every right to believe, or not believe, either version of the statement.

Salem

Y'all, if this gets any stranger, I'll need medication.

Bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the point is that MSM published the quote wrong. Given that TE was the victim in this encounter and TE was the one that gave the information to LE and MSM, it would seem he would know, right? But.. you have every right to believe, or not believe, either version of the statement.

Salem

Yes, thanks, I would rather believe a 30-year journalism veteran to get a direct quote from a police report correct.

While we're waiting for the TE interview, a reminder that he will also be on blogtalkradio tonight at 6:30 pm.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Salem

Are we 100% sure it was even TE that gave the quote to all the MSM reporters? One of them could have talked to someone who had talked to TE and paraphrased because they couldn't get ahold of TE directly in time.

I didn't mean someone couldn't disappear her...I meant I don't think her being afraid of someone would make her leave, and drop off the radar screen. I just think if she was leaving because she was afraid of someone, she would just move a "safe" distance from them and resume her life without cutting herself off from friends and loved ones.

I do agree that if she wanted to move on, someone might be upset. Someone else would probably be happy about it, and have less motive to harm her, kwim?

I think JF put a scare in her , enough so that her father knew about it (probably through BW). Let's keep in mind we're still talking about a 20 year old, dreamer /idealistic one ,imo. Sometimes that might lead one to either ignore or misinterpret signs of where danger lurks.

Who do they suspect has Heather......... friends............ confused

This case has all the makings of a lifetime movie, ugh.

While we're waiting for the TE interview, a reminder that he will also be on blogtalkradio tonight at 6:30 pm.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will try and catch that! Do you know who the host is?

Yes, thanks, I would rather believe a 30-year journalism veteran to get a direct quote from a police report correct.

According to TE, the quote is wrong. I'm guessing the reporter has it correct based on the pr - but perhaps the pr was worded wrong. I don't know why TE would say one thing on the 4th and change his mind later, if that's what you're insinuating? Or were you thinking something else? confused, am I missing something?

According to TE, the quote is wrong. I'm guessing the reporter has it correct based on the pr - but perhaps the pr was worded wrong. I don't know why TE would say one thing on the 4th and change his mind later, if that's what you're insinuating? Or were you thinking something else? confused, am I missing something?

"Has Heather" makes a much better headline...

I don't know why TE changed what he said either, but yes, I am saying I believe the police report.

I don't know why TE changed what he said either, but yes, I am saying I believe the police report.

But we haven't seen the police report right? and reporters get things wrong all the time.

But we haven't seen the police report right? and reporters get things wrong all the time.

It was a direct quote. The journalist was looking at the police report when that quote was inserted into the article. They're extremely careful about direct quotes, so I believe that is what TE told the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheeseghost22