SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, how do I post pictures?

Snipped and BBM-

If you want your image to be visible within your post, that's done by using a service such as photobucket. Create an account at http://photobucket.com. Within your User Account Settings, you can set your Album to Private (that's what I do).

Under "Mobile" you will find an email address which will allow you to send images directly from your device (or computer).

There is a bright (I think it's orange) upload button, which will allow you to upload images to your album.

Once it's in the album, there are all sorts of edit features. I've had problems with my uploads "blowing the margins" of other WSers, so I've resized my image to 640x, but you may or may not have to do that. I'm on a chromebook at the moment (Scroogled! :banghead:).

In order to have your image visible, copy the IMG code, which will be visible on the page your image in on, once it's uploaded.

Click on the URL link (it's the Earth+link button, under the smiley face) on toolbar on the post page, and paste it there (I always backspace the http:// 1st, then paste).

That's it! It's a lot on the initial set-up, but a breeze afterwards, I promise!

Hope this helps!

from Nov. 2012..apparently there is at least one house close enough to see the Boat Ramp area at PTL..

http://www.wtoc.com/story/20068102/...-dangerous-dead-end-road?clienttype=printable

Peachtree residents want safety changes on dangerous dead end road

Posted: Nov 11, 2012 8:00 PM EST
Updated: Nov 15, 2012 8:01 AM EST
By Stephanie Robusto - email

SOCASTEE, SC (WMBF) – A local family is asking for safety changes, after witnessing the second fatal accident in their backyard in just two years.

Christy Harter can't remember what made her walk outside on Saturday night. She just had a weird feeling, and stepped out onto her porch.

"The car was smooth, I couldn't hear the engine. All I heard was the tires and saw the headlights," recalls Christy Harter, a resident near the boat launch at the end of Peachtree Road.

She watched in horror as 65 year old Linda Graham drove her car off the end of Peachtree Road, right near the boat ramp, and into the water.

"The next thing I heard was the bottom of the car scraping the pavement, before the car was launched out into the water," says Ms. Harter.

Ms. Harter immediately ran inside, told her mom to call 911, and then ran next door to a neighbor's house, asking for help.

"You feel helpless, you can't jump into the water, you don't know where the car is. It didn't stay emerged very long," says Karen Harter, Christy's mom.

Christy pointed her headlights into the water, trying to find the car.

"At that point, there was nothing I could do," says Ms.Harter

She watched as emergency responders dove into the water.

"There were ambulances, police, a dive team. They were all here in respectable time, but no matter how fast they get here, its not fast enough," says Ms.Harter.

The 65 year old Socastee woman was dead inside her car when responders were able to pull it out of the water. Autopsy results show she died from drowning.

This isn't the first time the family has witnessed a fatal accident on this dead end road.

"Two deaths in just two years, it's awful," expresses Ms. Harter.

In 2010, Christy's husband dove into the water to save a trapped driver in the exact spot that Linda Graham lost her life on Saturday night.

"It tears your heart out, even though you don't know them you still feel for them," says Mrs. Harter.

He was unable to save the other passenger in the car. It is a memory that still haunts the family.

"There's no reason for that, for a loss like that, If there's something that can be done to prevent it," says Mrs. Harter.

The family wants something done now to stop these accidents from happening so close to their home.

"We should have strips down, a few rumble strips. I don't know if it will help all, but it might help a few," suggests Ms. Harter

"We need to speak to people about getting something done, this is too extreme," agrees Mrs. Harter.

They are writing into the county and the Department of Transportation for help.

"Something has to be done, I'll do what I can, do my best. But this is awful," says Mr. Harter.

I remember that. I also remember a similar case in the early 90's where the intoxicated driver escaped before the car sank and ran to a nearby house for help.

I lived in Socastee for 20+ years and have 2 adult daughters that live less than 3 miles from PTL. I was visiting my daughters Dec 20th - 22nd, drove by Peachtree Road several times, was actually stopped for several minutes right in front of PT road because of the bridge turning , went in several stores but did not know HElvis was missing till I returned home. I am assuming, so early into her disappearance that most of the police activity was centered at the landing and her condo.
The Socastee and 501 area of MB has changed quite a bit since I lived there. I went to school at Socastee, spent hundreds of weekends boating on the waterway , launching from PTL. That area of Socastee used to be more rural , with very little development on the waterway and dozens of secluded access points. USED to be.. Still, I have been wondering why leave her car at Peachtree Landing ? While her condo and the businesses open that late at night, are only a short drive from PTL.. knowing that area..there are hundreds of places one could abandon a car. So I spent some time looking at the satellite map for places one could access the waterway or just abandon a car without being spotted or caught on a security camera. PTL. appears to be the most secluded and convenient place within a 20 mile radius. IMO, it has to be a local or someone who spends time on the waterway to of had knowledge of PTL .

That whole area around the PT ramp has moved "upscale" a bit in the last 10-15 years. There are 2 very nice gated housing developments next to the Landing, with homes in 400K-500K range. Its not as rural as it used to be. One of the developments has 2 homes that back right up to PT and the old swing bridge. You can clearly see the homes as you drive across the bridge.

Plus traffic has picked up thru there vs years past. I returned in from Charleston last night at midnight and came in thru 707, and then up to 544 and across the old drawbridge. Even with the rain traffic was pretty busy.

Apparently, many younger people have bonfire parties down near the Landing.

My daughter is in HS here and she brought it up out of the blue.

There was supposedly 2 bonfire "Xmas" parties that happened down there over the past 3 weeks.

at 3 am the residents next to the landing would have noticed a hangout session. even on the night of the 18th. I think whoever put the car there was quiet and it wasn't a crowd. its less than 50 ft from the window of a mobile home to the middle of the landing lot. plant life in between the two doesn't obscure view. The person reporting the car didn't even know how long it had been sitting there. that takes stealth.

I also just remembered there is an old gravel quarry down near the end of Peachtree very close to the landing. Just looked on Google Earth and it is still there. I hope it has been searched.

I'm not sure where the info is coming from, but Heather did not carry a purse. She usually put her license, debt card etc in her pocket. The car was locked, no keys, no debit card, but her license was in the car. The car was not parked in a parking space, its as if she came there to meet someone and they were already pulled up with their car facing the road coming in , she just pulled up next to them, got out, locked her car and got in their car. This is why iim convinced this was an acquaintance. Im pretty sure the person she went on the date with is not a person of interest. I do believe knowing the identity of the former boyfriend would be the direction we need to be going in.

You may end up being right about that but her ex hasn't been named a poi so it's against tos to research & post that here. & to once again use Sam Koenig's thread as an example, there was a guy that was targeted by the public & family members of hers that took alot of heat - including death threats to himself & his family - and he had absolutely nothing at all to do with Sam's disappearance. A person that nobody suspected - Israel Keyes - was the perp & turned out to be a serial killer just like we suspected. Right now, not alot of info is available in Heather's case, so the perp could be anybody really - including herself. Until more info is released, I don't feel comfortable posting about her ex. Again, you could be right on target, but we need more info first. :)

As a local i can tell you no one has parties right at the landing, but if you turn down hwy 814 which is off peachtree there are side roads that lead to these ponds. Kids have always gone there and had bonfires. I just have feel whoever she met lives off peachtree and that was a convent place to meet..

Wondergirl, this is a different landing than the one where the car was left. The one is about 2 miles down Peachtree Road, at the very end of the road. Also, the end of Peachtree is not the only access point to the end of he road where the landing is.

Also, there's not much place to stage a boat at Peachtree. It's an older landing than the one under the bridge, and instead of being directly on the Intracoastal Waterway, it is on the Waccamaw River, which leads to the waterway, and also further inland to Conway.

Lots of people are confusing the two landings, when they are indeed separate and a couple of mile apart on different bodies of water.

EDIT: The most recent pic you posted is the correct landing.

Also, how do I post pictures?
BBM - There are different ways to do this, but the easiest is with its URL. If you have that you can type in the image code yourself:
B]Paste in the URL[B]
You should be able to see your picture in "Preview Post" at this point. (You don't have to bold them-I just did that to make them stand out.)

You can also use the "Insert Image" button on the tool bar above your comment box.
2en7nv6.jpg
(See button circled in red.)

Or, I use http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload, if I have the picture on my computer.

(If you quote this comment just to get a look at how the addresses appear, that might help, too. Then you can just back out of it.)

Thanks so much for your great and helpful comments! :)

BLKZ06.. I agree , there are several areas in Socastee that are more "upscale " . The housing developments that were " upscale " when I lived there, are now the rundown areas . Socastee reminds me of the coastal area I live in now.. One street has homes $500k and up, the next street over is rundown tract housing or mobile homes.

I go the same route as you do..and regardless of the time of day, there is always traffic

I'm not sure where the info is coming from, but Heather did not carry a purse. She usually put her license, debt card etc in her pocket. The car was locked, no keys, no debit card, but her license was in the car. The car was not parked in a parking space, its as if she came there to meet someone and they were already pulled up with their car facing the road coming in , she just pulled up next to them, got out, locked her car and got in their car. This is why iim convinced this was an acquaintance. Im pretty sure the person she went on the date with is not a person of interest. I do believe knowing the identity of the former boyfriend would be the direction we need to be going in.

That makes the most sense. A random stranger wouldn't know if it's well lot or pitch black, they also wouldn't have any ideas if there were cameras up or gates that close at a certain hour. I feel strongly that this had to be someone Heather Knew and felt she could trust if she drove herself there to meet someone.

Been on WS for many years and followed a few cases...a friend from NC told me about this, and as I was reading today, something came over me, kept thinking someone on here knows a whole lot more about what happened to Heather, gave me chills...we can't all be wrong, very creepy to me

yikes

:gasp:

(edit: it's not me---I haven't left Colorado, I swear!)

The unfortunate thing is that in this area and the way the le works here, even if we do find heather and find a person responsible we will never here why this happened or the evidence. Everything is always kept hush hush. Because we are in a tourist town they don't want to jeopardize the reputation of the town! Hard to live here knowing thats how things are handled, but thats the truth of it!

Snipped and BBM-

If you want your image to be visible within your post, that's done by using a service such as photobucket. Create an account at http://photobucket.com. Within your User Account Settings, you can set your Album to Private (that's what I do).

Under "Mobile" you will find an email address which will allow you to send images directly from your device (or computer).

There is a bright (I think it's orange) upload button, which will allow you to upload images to your album.

Once it's in the album, there are all sorts of edit features. I've had problems with my uploads "blowing the margins" of other WSers, so I've resized my image to 640x, but you may or may not have to do that. I'm on a chromebook at the moment (Scroogled! :banghead:).

In order to have your image visible, copy the IMG code, which will be visible on the page your image in on, once it's uploaded.

Click on the URL link (it's the Earth+link button, under the smiley face) on toolbar on the post page, and paste it there (I always backspace the http:// 1st, then paste).

That's it! It's a lot on the initial set-up, but a breeze afterwards, I promise!

Hope this helps!

I always use tinypic.com now. I choose the size for message boards / forums. It's 640 x whatever lol. Alot easier. Then I just click the link supplied once loaded - which is instantaneously- and paste one here. It's real simple, literally.

Luckyladee... I disagree about PTL being a convient place to meet.. if anyone asked me to meet them there in broad daylight without plans to launch a boat, I would be very suspicious. Too many other places , between her condo and PTL to meet someone

The unfortunate thing is that in this area and the way the le works here, even if we do find heather and find a person responsible we will never here why this happened or the evidence. Everything is always kept hush hush. Because we are in a tourist town they don't want to jeopardize the reputation of the town! Hard to live here knowing thats how things are handled, but thats the truth of it!

That sucks. I live in a small town where nothing ever used to make it to the newspapers & everybody thought they lived in the safest town in the county.

I think anywhere where teens gravitate, especially a resort town, can be a target. Then again, I look at the town I live in...which is now a target for heroin & pills.

My videos are finishing totally out of order. :( I guess I'll put a playlist in order once they all finish.

Hey, you never know, sometimes its good to work a case backwards, or "out of order". :)

Escape2sc if you lived right there on peachtree there is nowhere to meet. No stores no nothing just the landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654