SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #23 **ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A private attorney that was brought in by the Public Defender's office. He's still working this case pro-bono.

ETA: Wait. I'm thinking of the first attorney she was appointed. McCollum, I think. What happened to him?

I thought I read the new atty was hired by her family but I've read so much lately my head is spinning so I could be goofing this up.

People who commit murder aren't inclined to "do the right thing and confess." That path guarantees them a lengthy jail sentence, probably for life. They're better off forcing the state to prove the charges against them since the state has 100% of the burden at all times.

Of course as we know, there are cases where the evidence is so strong that confessing can be the best way of getting a better deal (like LWOP vs DP). But in this case, I don't think that's a factor.

I'd be surprised if either of them confessed to anything.

McCollum was replaced as representation for TM. He *was* the private attorney assigned to her via the PD office originally, but McLaughlin replaced him as her private attorney, stated in MSM as a "friend of the family."

ETA: Public defenders, even ones hired from private firms on behalf of the county or state, do not work for free in SC.
http://www.sccid.sc.gov/indigent-defense-faq.cfm

PD work is NOT the same as Legal Aid, pro bono, or community service on behalf of the attorney here in SC.

Though the client doesn't pay the PD they most likely are paid by the state.
Where legal aid attys receive no pay from anyone.

McCollum was replaced as representation for TM. He *was* the private attorney assigned to her via the PD office originally, but McLaughlin replaced him as her private attorney, stated in MSM as a "friend of the family."

ETA: Public defenders, even ones hired from private firms on behalf of the county or state, do not work for free in SC.
http://www.sccid.sc.gov/indigent-defense-faq.cfm

PD work is NOT the same as Legal Aid, pro bono, or community service on behalf of the attorney here in SC.

Thanks! My brain is scrambled right now. SO much information to sift through, I don't know left from right at this point.

What is the source of TM's "deep pockets." Has that ever been explained?

I read yesterday and posted at PL (deleted) TM was worth millions from a lawsuit she filed against Sears yrs ago. Was on the State Vs ........ facebook.This might get deleted.

There are some pretty glaring metaphors regarding
TM's tendency to photo edit her face into a nearly unrecognizable other person.

A similar effort was made to cover over SM's imperfections,
but not to the extent TM covered up her own.

There is a public face versus a private face.
Only what's been camouflaged is allowed in the former.

When describing her philosophy as a photographer, TM asserts that photo editing is not the sign of a true photographer - that people should be seen as they are, not how someone else might alter them.

TM wants others imperfections known, while she and those associated with her deserve to have their's edited away. And further, TM's comments show a person who does not expect others to notice the duplicity of her statements.
She has no expectation of being "called out."

If TM posted on SM's Facebook page while posing as SM, as has been widely theorized, then TM literally used SM as a tool/vehicle to deliver her message. In order to have access to the page, SM must have agreed, or did nothing to stop her actions.

Just my opinion.

she seems to be the only one. I hope the media continues to focus on the actual evidence.:twocents:

We surely all hope so but, know that MSM will sensationalize this case. Makes for better profits IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some pretty glaring metaphors regarding
TM's tendency to photo edit her face into a nearly unrecognizable other person.

A similar effort was made to cover over SM's imperfections,
but not to the extent TM covered up her own.

There is a public face versus a private face.
Only what's been camouflaged is allowed in the former.

When describing her philosophy as a photographer, TM asserts that photo editing is not the sign of a true photographer - that people should be seen as they are, not how someone else might alter them.

TM wants others imperfections known, while she and those associated with her deserve to have their's edited away. And further, TM's comments show a person who does not expect others to notice the duplicity of her statements.
She has no expectation of being "called out."

If TM posted on SM's Facebook page while posing as SM, as has been widely theorized, then TM literally used SM as a tool/vehicle to deliver her message. In order to have access to the page, SM must have agreed, or did nothing to stop her actions.

Just my opinion.

Or maybe SM never knew he had a page. . .

But confessing would still earn her a lengthy prison term, IMO. I just can't see her admitting to anything...she'll think she can win in court, IMO. Probably will even want to take the stand...jmo.

Interesting thought that TM might take the stand...

She might just do it... JMO...

:judge:

I wonder if SM knew Heather's roomie had gone away. OR he may not have known Heather confided in her roomie. But would he have lured her out if both of them were home, knowing Heather may have said something about where she was going? This is IF he did ask her to come to PTL, which I think was the case.

This is something that has really stuck out to me. If the rm had not been out of town then it would be really hard for HE to just "disappear" into the night. That along with HE being off work for the next day (or was it 2) really just fell into their laps as luck. Unless they knew all of this, TM seemed to be obsessed with HE enough maybe she knew her work schedule? All speculation but seems too many pieces fell into place for them to have so much time pass before anyone knew HE was missing IMO.

All people in TM's life were likely seen as objects/possessions to be used to benefit her in some way. Likely manipulated and used to feed her "reality". I can imagine that she would be in extreme rage if SM was going to leave her - it would have destroyed the illusion. That was not an option. I just can't fathom how she manipulated SM into obeying her wishes this time. JMO

Or maybe SM never knew he had a page. . .

This is what I think too. I just don't see many men using that whole "2DisneyKids" whatever-the-rest-of-it-was as his page name. I'd venture to say TM was the only one using SM's page. IMO.

Under actions it says imaging warrant, anyone know what that means?

I believe it has to do with (?thermal) imaging warrant. I found a case that was written up here (the case was upheld):

Fourth Circuit Blog
Case summaries and analysis from Federal Defender Offices located in the Fourth Circuit (WV, VA, MD, NC, SC)

http://circuit4.blogspot.com/2012/03/safety-valve-ineligibility-affirmed-and.html

Here is the actual PDF of the case itself:
US v Henry
http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/105201.P.pdf

Only a circuit judge can set bail for murder. It's likely bond will be denied but i'ts also possible it could be set, then after a length of time, reduced. Never being in trouble with the law and being a mom of three kids could help TM out. There are just so many scenarios to consider. Say a judge agrees to set a bond and it's $240,000. She may only need to come up with 10% of that in cash ($24,000) or they could want the entire amount, which is highly unlikely.

The prosecutors will argue she's a flight risk and her defense will argue the above the points and may even offer shes willing to wear an ankle bracelet. She could get out.

Then she would attempt to move heaven and earth to get SM out.

Hopefully the judge will deny bond.

you know you're hooked on a case when you find yourself checking ws from the parking lot.... at the real grocery store!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Only a circuit judge can set bail for murder. It's likely bond will be denied but i'ts also possible it could be set, then after a length of time, reduced. Never being in trouble with the law and being a mom of three kids could help TM out. There are just so many scenarios to consider. Say a judge agrees to set a bond and it's $240,000. She may only need to come up with 10% of that in cash ($24,000) or they could want the entire amount, which is highly unlikely.

The prosecutors will argue she's a flight risk and her defense will argue the above the points and may even offer shes willing to wear an ankle bracelet. She could get out.

Then she would attempt to move heaven and earth to get SM out.

Hopefully the judge will deny bond.

If she does get out, I REALLY hope she isn't allowed to gain full access back to her children. I do believe those little ones saw/heard things and IMO, she'll try to sway their minds.

Here's to hoping she has to stay put...for the good of all mankind!

I believe it has to do with (?thermal) imaging warrant. I found a case that was written up here (the case was upheld):

Fourth Circuit Blog
Case summaries and analysis from Federal Defender Offices located in the Fourth Circuit (WV, VA, MD, NC, SC)

http://circuit4.blogspot.com/2012/03/safety-valve-ineligibility-affirmed-and.html

Here is the actual PDF of the case itself:
US v Henry
http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/105201.P.pdf

Kyllo v. United States.

I am not 100% sure what sites we can link to. This case was in regards to thermal heat and marijuana growing.

K

eta Maybe they have something in thermal images from PTL? It will be interesting to see how this plays out and what it actually means!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqwkie