SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 #27***ARREST**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the call reporting HE's car at PTL, does LE not have a caller ID that recorded the number?

Did LE say they do not know who called in the car?

In one of the earliest MSM posts it stated something like the person who called was mistaken about seeing it at PTL on Monday. I don't know if that article was updated to delete any info tho!!

BBM. I asked my wife and she agreed that "bunches of trash" is more likely to be said by a woman whereas a man might say "a carpload of trash." Either way, the bottom line is that the person reporting the "trash loaded car" had to have looked in the vehicle to notice the "trashiness". Therefore, they would have known if someone was in the vehicle or not. Perhaps it was a female who called in the car . . .

but maybe those are the terms a dispatcher used AFTER hearing whatever the calling party said. I do believe originally it was a woman referred to as the caller...

Thank you for your professional feedback on this topic. Much appreciated.

In terms of news reporting, I take the definition of 'interpret' more as "an explanation in words" rather than a Reporter's feelings, assumptions, or conclusions.

In terms of an LE investigation concerning a crime, the word interpret takes on a slightly different meaning. A Crime Analyst may come to conclusions based off of evidence, experience, and science among other things. All the while, s(he) interprets the evidence to complete a report which can then be read and understood by others.

I think what you are getting at is not avoidance of the facts, but the limitations of language when a reporter puts just a slightly different spin on the facts than LE did. We at home interpret words literally from reporters sometimes when they are maybe speculating themselves, or didn't quite understand what the police said. Reporting live on a scene must be one of the most challenging jobs in the world.

Look what happened here in this case - someone was watching live feed, heard a reporter say something or ask a question off the cuff, and in the minds of several people that became something "LE said" when really it wasn't at all. The reporter was interpreting, but so were the viewers.

I really think most reporters do their best, but often when LE gets tight-lipped, as in this case and Holly Bobo, impatience gets the best of the reporters just like it does with everyone else. That does lead to some sloppiness when they report rumors as news. Of course in Holly's case, there were search groups hoaxing, and accusations towards the family, and whatnot.

The problem is that even after LE debunks the rumors, the stories tend to live on, and some news media leave the story up without disclaimors. So sometimes it is better when they pull a story rather than leave it around with misleading information.

For the record, I'm glad we have a free press. All of us can't jump in the car and travel to these crime scenes - thank goodness there are still people who get paid to do it and write about it. :twocents:

I have kept up with the HE threads since the beginning, with the exception of about a thread's worth of material that I had to bypass when the arrests were coming down and posting was happening at a furious pace. When those arrests were occurring, I was sorely tempted to call in to work with webitis sleuthosis and treat the condition with more reading, but I managed to keep myself on the straight and narrow.

In all this time, I haven't posted but once because everyone has said my stuff for me, but better, or, more often, has come up with great ideas that would not have dawned on me. Even now, I've little to offer, but here are two comments:

Above RSBM:

OMG, I so get this. Luckily, I had a couple well-timed snow days and some stuff broke on weekends. But, I am holding onto those webitis sleuthosis days dearly- for the next time they are needed.

And yes, I posted a while back that if you get behind in the threads, don't post, just keep going. Because everything you've thought, questioned, or even thought about questioning, will be asked and answered long before you get to the end! "Great minds..." and all that.

According to arrest warrants released Monday afternoon, Sidney and Tammy Moorer, “did unlawfully, without just or sufficient cause, murder Heather Elvis with malice forethought.”
The kidnapping warrants state the suspects, “did unlawfully seize, confine, kidnap, abduct or carry away Heather Elvis by any means whatsoever without the authority of the law.”
IMO I think this is where a person could assume that she was taken away from PTL by them.

In all this time, I haven't posted but once because everyone has said my stuff for me, but better, or, more often, has come up with great ideas that would not have dawned on me. Even now, I've little to offer, but here are two comments:

-the news station that used the image of a pay phone...we don't know if that image was germane to the case or just an image they used to represent phone communication. I can picture e-mailing the TV station, if it were in my locale, and saying, hey, would you be able to tell me if that particular shot at X location was just an artistic representation? Maybe there would be no response to my query---but somebody shot that footage locally and knows why, and they might be willing to say, oh, that pay phone was filler. If a particular pay phone was related to the individuals charged, that phone being filmed means somebody had inside information. And I am not sure how likely that is.

I emailed the reporter on that story about the payphone last week. I have had no reply. I will post here if I ever get a reply.

i appreciate your point of view, but unless that evidence is really damning, imo, i think both will stay mute. so far, we've heard from SM's lawyer and frankly, if he remains SM's lawyer, his comments worried me...in the fact that he may be able to convince a jury.

but, we will have to wait and see.

The lawyers are making lawyer noises. TM never even met Heather, SM is clueless about what on earth could have happened, blah blah. I'm sure before it's over with we'll hear an entire book of tales about how Heather ran off to join the circus or was abducted by the drug cartel.

But right now, the story is 'LE made it all up'.

OT
There was a case on a crime show the other day and it struck me how in some ways it was similar to this case. Mainly how someone could kill the other person instead of killing their own spouse or just leaving their spouse. This case was really strange and there were 2 married couples involved and one of the husbands killed the other cheating husband. Both familes were ruined and both families had many children.
Really sad.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/03/22/2501227/rob-hall-to-be-sentenced-thursday.html

ETA - The spouse of the murdered husband had good advice at the end of the trial. She said something like this..."If people would think about and put their family first then it may help prevent these types of things".

The lawyers are making lawyer noises. TM never even met Heather, SM is clueless about what on earth could have happened, blah blah. I'm sure before it's over with we'll hear an entire book of tales about how Heather ran off to join the circus or was abducted by the drug cartel.

But right now, the story is 'LE made it all up'.

Yep, this is just standard blah blah blah. Casey Anthony's attny said Caylee was alive somewhere with her kidnappers even after her hair with the death band and decomp was found in CA car :waiting::waiting:

Been thinking about how to find Heather. I would hate to see a plea deal give someone a reduced sentence however I do think this particular case has a good possibility of one person turning on the other for a better deal.

I am sure LE has considered that approach by now. It will be interesting to see as time goes on if one of them seems to be getting preferential treatment over the other.

I believe LE has them separated from everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the red jumpsuits and comments made from the HCSO, both of the Ms are in the maximum security part of the jail.

I cannot speak to the specifics of maximum security at GCDC, but anyone in maximum security at HCDC (J Ruben Long) has absolutely very limited access to the outside world.

There is a TV in the dayroom, but it displays a pre-programmed channel that *only* displays the rules at the facility, and numbers to bail bondsmen. The news is never on, nor any other channel. They are very limited to what they are allowed to have. No books, newspapers, canteen, pictures, games, etc. The only paperwork allowed in their cell is legal paperwork. They are only allowed out of their cell by themselves, and for no less than 30 minutes and no longer than an hour.

The visitations are done thru CCTV. Phone calls are only allowed one day out of the week.

So as far as them being up to date of the media coverage of their case, I highly doubt it. Maybe they are kept up to date by thier lawyers, and word of mouth by other inmates/gaurds, but I believe that would be about the extent of it. They are literally in a jail inside the jail. They are essentially cut off from all outside contact as much as possible and legally allowed.

IMO I think this is where a person could assume that she was taken away from PTL by them.

True. But based on the statutes of SC, kidnapping can cover a wide variety of actions. Basically, holding one against their will in anyway counts as kidnapping.

For instance, someone walks into a bank in the state of SC, and says, "Freeze, Don't move or I'll shoot!", and robs the bank, and leaves without ever physically touching anyone in the bank in any way, they can still be charged with kidnapping, and normally are, since they technically held someone against their will.

Someone a few posts up (back) went into a little more detail about this, and also made some good examples.

Hope that all makes sense. Im still trying to wake up. Just wanted to post that while it was on my mind and I had the the time.

-Restless in Horry County

-JL

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3 Running Android 4.4.2 via Tapatalk Pro 4

I also believe one of the things mentioned several threads ago was that the statute also calls out luring.

With all the information LE has about PM/calls, if the M's in any way lured Heather to PTL that would also constitute the kidnapping charge.

I guess just asking her to meet him at PTL and then death occurring when she arrived would be enough?

IMHO

kelly

OT
There was a case on a crime show the other day and it struck me how in some ways it was similar to this case. Mainly how someone could kill the other person instead of killing their own spouse or just leaving their spouse. This case was really strange and there were 2 married couples involved and one of the husbands killed the other cheating husband. Both familes were ruined and both families had many children.
Really sad.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/03/22/2501227/rob-hall-to-be-sentenced-thursday.html

I think one of the shows on the ID channel covered this case.

OT
Really sad.

I think one of the shows on the ID channel covered this case.

It was a Dateline or 48 Hours, I think. One of the network shows, anyway. I was so disgusted with the woman in this case...she was trying for sympathy afterward. Ugh. People just need to be faithful, or leave their marriages. Consequences can be too great. I can't believe how many lives can be ruined because of adult sex drives that can't be controlled. JMO

In the continued search for Heather Elvis I pray for her family to have strength and for God to guide them through this time. I pray for Heather that she may be found and brought home to her family. I continue to have faith in the HCPD that they are continuing with all the hard work they have been doing to see that Heather is found and that justice is served. Although we may not know all of the details HCPD does and that is what is important.
I wanted to take this time to remember Heather. Thank you.

Waiting for March 17 is so hard. I cannot imagine what it feels like for Heather's family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiodial