SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
73 folks on this thread I feel like we are just looking at each other with that knowing look saying "ok, what do you want to talk about?" but we can't talk about the new info.:tantrum:

I agree. It seems in many other cases we talk about multiple people involved in a case (using initials of course) who haven't been named as suspects. And the "redacted" report sure raised new issues in this case.

73 folks on this thread I feel like we are just looking at each other with that knowing look saying "ok, what do you want to talk about?" but we can't talk about the new info.:tantrum:

I am right there with you.

Kind of pointless to attempt to sleuth here. Most people have a pretty good idea of where this case is going and I guess I am confused as to why we can't discuss the facts of the report, it is as official as it gets. I don't mean get an angry mob together and go to anyone's house but if we are told that 1+1=4 then we should be able to ask why the numbers don't add up.

OK, with the information we have from MSM, LE and through VIs postings we know a few things.

1. Scent dogs did not hit on HE's scent from the exterior of her car. Therefore, it would stand to reason that (if the dogs did their jobs correctly, and bloodhounds are good at scent tracing) HE may not have actually driven herself to the landing and parked her car there.

2. There didn't appear to be any kind of struggle, and no personal items other than HE's phone are missing. Therefore, it would stand to reason that HE had some kind of relationship/friendship/trust factor with whomever she may have gone to meet.

I have to say that I continue to strongly agree with some of the other members here and IMHO, if HE met with someone after her date, it could have been somewhere other than PTL. Maybe while meeting with this person something happened- whether intentional or unintentional, something happened. IF this is the case, the person may have gotten scared then driven HE's car and parked it at PTL hoping that LE would think she parked the car at the water and then went into the water herself or just left/disappeared because she wanted to get away from it all. Someone who is scared wouldn't necessarily be able to stand there & reason out that LE would more than likely employ the use of scent dogs, therefore would do something off the top of their head, like try and make it appear that there was no crime. (If there was a crime)

I have to say that IMHO, I don't think it would be a situation tied to the other disappearances. I feel that LE knows who they want and are right now doing everything in their power to put every piece of this puzzle well in its place before they make an arrest. They have all the pieces, they just need to make sure the puzzle is glued together & air-tight.

I would like to think HE is safe and sound somewhere, but TE himself said that it was not like her to just disappear and not be in touch.

Sorry to be so long winded here, but this is just an overwhelming situation with rather underwhelming public information. :banghead:

I am bringing this over from the Media Thread, because I think it's pertinent....

Consider This: Finding Heather Elvis
By Ted Fortenberry - email fortenberry@wmbfnews.com

(snip)

"What is so troubling is that Heather is not the only person from our area who is missing. These disappearances seem to be happening more and more often, and someone knows something about all of these cases.

If that someone if you… you need to speak up. If know something about Heather Elvis or have information on any of the other people who are missing pick up the phone and call police. Do it now. These families should not have to suffer any longer."

Embedded video @ link:
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24407009/consider-this-finding-heather-elvis?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9714432

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24407009/consider-this-finding-heather-elvis

Thank you. I think there are pressures and politics in play within LE and the Myrtle Beach community. The case of Brittney Drexel and others has the spotlight on them and for this "family tourist destination" keeping its wholesome and safe reputation is a balancing act. I have lived in Myrtle Beach and can tell you it has a creepy, dark undercurrent. Crime and murder happen everywhere but the response of LE is vastly different and unique to each case/department.

I think it would be more helpful for the community if LE would come out and be more honest with the public. Put a face to the men and women in LE who are working these cases and build up the trust. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Jaws" where the LE didnt want to scare off the tourist, even though they knew there was a dangerous killer shark in their waters. I do not mean to joke or make light of these cases. All of these missing need to be recovered and brought home to their loved ones. How can we help do that?

JMO

But...is anyone talking about what we learned, except for us here?
It seems to be taboo on the FB page. Is there any new media about the police report? I can't find anything.

I can't find any articles that are specifically about the police report. I would bet that most of the people on the FB page do not even know about it, unless they go on WS too. I do not know why the report seems to be taboo on the page. But I feel like it can be tied to what happened with the governor post---some people asked "What can the governor do?" and this was framed like people were attacking the family.

OK, with the information we have from MSM, LE and through VIs postings we know a few things.

1. Scent dogs did not hit on HE's scent from the exterior of her car. Therefore, it would stand to reason that (if the dogs did their jobs correctly, and bloodhounds are good at scent tracing) HE may not have actually driven herself to the landing and parked her car there.

2. There didn't appear to be any kind of struggle, and no personal items other than HE's keys and DL are missing. Therefore, it would stand to reason that HE had some kind of relationship/friendship/trust factor with whomever she may have gone to meet.

I have to say that I continue to strongly agree with some of the other members here and IMHO, if HE met with someone after her date, it could have been somewhere other than PTL. Maybe while meeting with this person something happened- whether intentional or unintentional, something happened. IF this is the case, the person may have gotten scared then driven HE's car and parked it at PTL hoping that LE would think she parked the car at the water and then went into the water herself or just left/disappeared because she wanted to get away from it all. Someone who is scared wouldn't necessarily be able to stand there & reason out that LE would more than likely employ the use of scent dogs, therefore would do something off the top of their head, like try and make it appear that there was no crime. (If there was a crime)

I have to say that IMHO, I don't think it would be a situation tied to the other disappearances. I feel that LE knows who they want and are right now doing everything in their power to put every piece of this puzzle well in its place before they make an arrest. They have all the pieces, they just need to make sure the puzzle is glued together & air-tight.

I would like to think HE is safe and sound somewhere, but TE himself said that it was not like her to just disappear and not be in touch.

Sorry to be so long winded here, but this is just an overwhelming situation with rather underwhelming public information. :banghead:

Regarding #2 we know nothing about her license for fact. IF we take everything we have from media, and VIs at this point the only thing missing is her and her phone, I think.
TE said phone and purse. Then Ladyhawkke didn't mention purse missing but she may have said keys. I need to go back and check.

never heard of it but he is .imo, a great actor ..gonna check it out for sure

Just wanted to butt in here, I saw this one.
It was an amazing movie, well acted and written but be warned that it is very violent which I know can be very triggering for some.

I asked a question a while back and didn't see a reply.

Will search dogs ALWAYS pick up a scent if it's there? Can anything cause the scent to be lost?

Anyone but me still having trouble with WS loading?

I am, since last night. One minute it loads perfectly and then when i try to move to the next page it takes ages. I thought it was just my internet being wonky.

Regarding #2 we know nothing about her license for fact. IF we take everything we have from media, and VIs at this point the only thing missing is her and her phone, I think.
TE said phone and purse. Then Ladyhawkke didn't mention purse missing but she may have said keys. I need to go back and check.
Forgive me...I thought for sure I saw mention of the DL missing. I retracted that part of #2

I can't find any articles that are specifically about the police report. I would bet that most of the people on the FB page do not even know about it, unless they go on WS too. I do not know why the report seems to be taboo on the page. But I feel like it can be tied to what happened with the governor post---some people asked "What can the governor do?" and this was framed like people were attacking the family.

I could fully understand why it was pulled from the FB page. That page was set up with one mission in mind ,find Heather and to leave that report there would ,imo, be like throwing chum in the waters. The reaction from those loyal supporters just might cause unwarranted reactions to those named in the report and I'm sure that is a headache the Elvis family doesn't want to deal with especially if it hinders the search. jmo .of course.

2. There didn't appear to be any kind of struggle, and no personal items other than HE's keys are missing. Therefore, it would stand to reason that HE had some kind of relationship/friendship/trust factor with whomever she may have gone to meet.

I don't know if #1 has been official released as a fact..if it has can you link it? or point me where it could be found?

Will search dogs ALWAYS pick up a scent if it's there? Can anything cause the scent to be lost?

Wind, rain and other factors can derail scent dogs, but our experts usually tell us it is all down to proper training and use of the right dogs for each task, jMO.

I could fully understand why it was pulled from the FB page. That page was set up with one mission in mind ,find Heather and to leave that report there would ,imo, be like throwing chum in the waters. The reaction from those loyal supporters just might cause unwarranted reactions to those named in the report and I'm sure that is a headache the Elvis family doesn't want to deal with especially if it hinders the search. jmo .of course.

True, but the report gives info that could produce real clues, IMO. People may know something or may have seen something, now that they have specific people to think about. Hope LE is getting lots of calls. This report provided the only real information so far, IMO.

Tried to find an answer for you.. there used to be a verified SAR expert posting on WS but I haven't seen him/her in a while.

From http://www.ussartf.org/dogs_search_rescue.htm and http://www.vsrda.org/volunteer/faq-2

Interesting points:
-There's a difference between a tracking dog and a trailing dog
-A trailing dog would've been used for this; they require a scent article and the person's last known location
-"Family members of the victim can contaminate a track."

So if they used search dogs at PTL it could've been futile if a) contaminated by TE and b) HE was never physically there, in which case only the car interior would've been alerted to. So if HE's last location was determined to be unknown, it would be a needle in a haystack thing in terms of where to start with a tracking (vs trailing) dog.

The aforementioned SAR expert addressed the fact that dogs are trained to pick up on only the most recent scent, since people frequently question the legitimacy of alerting on a path the victim was already known to take, i.e, "how do we know she walked home from school that afternoon if she walked the same route to school that morning, yesterday afternoon, etc?" He likened it to our own ability to tell whether or not a room needs another spray of air freshener; we can still smell what was sprayed yesterday and how much weaker it is. So imagine that ability amplified 46736473 times in a dog, who can "say" with relative certainty that they're pointing out somewhere the victim was two hours ago rather than 6. (Hopefully I didn't botch his original analogy.)

And the basic answer to your question, as far as I can tell, is that weather and time both can and do destroy scent tracks. But everyone acted relatively fast with HE and I don't think the weather was particularly unkind at the time.

My own question: if they used cadaver dogs at her apartment or PTL and got a hit, would it have been a) released to the public and b) grounds for a search warrant? Or is it pretty much the same amount of evidentiary weight as lie detector tests?

I do agree but also think that if the people who are involved in the case know as many facts as possible then the things that seem insignificant may all of a sudden mean the final missing piece of the puzzle. If my husband came home with scratches on his chest (just an example) and said that he got scratched on a bush then a few days later I hear that he has been mentioned in a missing persons case I might start to look around and see what else looks odd.

I watched an episode of the First 48 a while back. A man was murdered and the cops had no idea where to even start. They searched and search and got nothing. Finally the victims sister-in-law came forward and said that the victims brother (her husband) had a cut on his body the same night that the murder happened but he said it happened at work and she blew it off until the police started poking around and in the end the brother confessed to the murder. I am just sayin'.......

I'm looking for it....there's so many posts to go through....sorry

I was the one who brought this up a few million pages back.

The original answer came from a friend/family member on the FHE fb page. Roughly Jan 11th in the comments section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member