Found Deceased SC - Hubert Lee Clodfelter, 85, Georgetown County, March 2019 *wife arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The daughters found Hubert's body in the "beach house in the Myrtle Beach Travel Park" according to one of @PommyMommy's informative links (‘No ones deserves to rot’: Sisters detail discovering murdered father’s remains). That location sounds like it was not Hubert's primary residence. But that doesn't excuse Irene for not being bothered by the death of her husband, whether or not she was involved (IMO she is not guiltless).

I can't even touch a dead insect!

The Myrtle Beach Travel Park location was not his primary residence. Early MSM reporting him missing showed his address as Columbine Court, Murrels Inlet. In one of the MSM videos, the reporter did say the MBTP home was owned by Mr. C.

Deputies looking for missing 85-year-old Murrells Inlet man

If I had to guess, I would say the home in Myrtle Beach was more of a "vacation" type home given its proximity to the ocean. Could also be that he sometimes rented it out to other people. All this is just my guess and JMOO.

This article has also been updated. I'm not sure if this part is new or not; I remember that HC's daughter spoke with the neighbors but not the part about the rent checks and a boat in Florida... Or maybe I missed it the first time I read it, I dunno. :confused:

Chappell said several of Clodfelter's tenants and neighbors told her they had not seen or heard from him in about two years. Tenants said Mrs. Clodfelter had told them to start making rent checks payable to her.

Chappell came to Georgetown County on March 12 and spoke with Mrs. Clodfelter who said her husband was just in town over the weekend and that she did not want further welfare checks done at her residence until after March 26 when she gets Mr. Clodfelter "to a boat in Florida."

She was probably planning on transferring his body to a boat in Florida.

Last edited:
I'm so confused! Did he die this year or two years ago? Based on the descriptions of the body, it sounds like it was recent. (Though they had to use dental records to identify him - maybe just quicker than DNA testing?) But the person she's blaming it on died months ago... could she have concealed the body elsewhere, like a large freezer? Maybe wanted to get it to a boat, as she said, but had to wait for dark, daughters beat her there? I mean, that sounds as out there as her story does.

It sounds recent, but I can't fathom why he wouldn't speak with his daughters for two years - unless she was holding him captive but the charges don't indicate that. Perplexing. I just know the SC heat and humidity would not allow anything to stay as preserved as it sounds, for two years, under a house. Maybe I've missed something.

I'm so confused! Did he die this year or two years ago? Based on the descriptions of the body, it sounds like it was recent. (Though they had to use dental records to identify him - maybe just quicker than DNA testing?) But the person she's blaming it on died months ago... could she have concealed the body elsewhere, like a large freezer? Maybe wanted to get it to a boat, as she said, but had to wait for dark, daughters beat her there? I mean, that sounds as out there as her story does.

It sounds recent, but I can't fathom why he wouldn't speak with his daughters for two years - unless she was holding him captive but the charges don't indicate that. Perplexing. I just know the SC heat and humidity would not allow anything to stay as preserved as it sounds, for two years, under a house. Maybe I've missed something.

Agree, it is perplexing that something could last for 2 years underneath in a bag as the daughter specifically said that she touched his flesh iirc.

2 years I don't think there would be any flesh? Indeed it is intriguing. Definitely a case to follow to find out the rest of the story.

We don't know yet when or how he died, other than not by natural means. There were reports in MSM from neighbors and tenants who hadn't seen him in two years. Could she have had him in cold storage somewhere for a while ? Sure - as bizarre as the rest of this case has been, wouldn't surprise me. I just hope his family gets some answers, as she has now bonded out. MOO

Oh, and I agree with you on the heat and humidity.

We don't know yet when or how he died, other than not by natural means. There were reports in MSM from neighbors and tenants who hadn't seen him in two years. Could she have had him in cold storage somewhere for a while ? Sure - as bizarre as the rest of this case has been, wouldn't surprise me. I just hope his family gets some answers, as she has now bonded out. MOO

Oh, and I agree with you on the heat and humidity.

I have a distinct feeling that she's not going to be bonded out for long. They had not made a legal determination of his identification at the time of the bond hearing. Now that they do have a legal determination of his identification, I think she's going to be arrested on other charges very very soon.

More from the above link :

So IC found Mr. C's remains May 28. And the son she believes responsible died months ago ?
Folks, coastal SC in May is hot and humid. Something is not adding up to me. MOO

Totally agree. I am very familiar with MB all the way to Murrells Inlet. HOT and 100% humidity, you know that sticky, wet hot.

The Myrtle Beach Travel Park location was not his primary residence. Early MSM reporting him missing showed his address as Columbine Court, Murrels Inlet. In one of the MSM videos, the reporter did say the MBTP home was owned by Mr. C.

Deputies looking for missing 85-year-old Murrells Inlet man

If I had to guess, I would say the home in Myrtle Beach was more of a "vacation" type home given its proximity to the ocean. Could also be that he sometimes rented it out to other people. All this is just my guess and JMOO.

The MBTP started out as a campground back in '60s and 70s. Folks started renting year round lots with travel trailers, then in 70s started to "gut" them, add additions and create nice vacation homes/rentals. As long as a structure is temporary the taxes are greatly reduced.

MB has several very large Campgrounds/Travel parks they are like a city, post office, restaurants, home repair companies anything you need in the park.

These are revenue generators for the retired. They rent out during the summer and enjoy the mild winters with few tourists, for themselves.

MOO...How could someone not smell the body, with the close proximity of the trailers, the rain we had in May and the heat and humidity?

JUN 20, 2019
Murder investigation of a Murrells Inlet man continues
[...]

Solicitor Jimmy Richardson said Irene could possibly face more charges in the future, but his office is working to prove the charges already against her.

[...]

Richardson said the case may have crossed state lines.

“It’s not only an investigation between Horry and Georgetown, but it may also involve looking into other states,” said Richardson.

[...]

“If, and that’s a big if, but if her son were to of been responsible and if he has passed away, they’re not going to charge someone that’s dead with a crime. so that’s sort of where they’re at with it now, but there’s a lot more investigation that has to take place,” said Richardson.

[...]

Irene has not been charged with murder. Richardson said all charges against any defendant must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

“I would have a hunch or suggestion that it would go one way or the other, but when we go into court we’ve got to do more than have a hunch,” said Richardson.

[...]

HCPD crime scene units at Clodfelter house

MURRELLS INLET, S.C. (WPDE) — Horry County police crime scene units were at the home of Irene Clodfelter on Friday morning.

At least two HCPD crime scene units were at the Clodfelter home on Columbine Court Friday morning. HCPD would not comment on the nature of their presence, saying only the investigation is ongoing.

( from photos in the article, this house must be the one that is south of the trailer park, in Murrells Inlet.)

ETA, corrected that the location is south in Murrells Inlet

Last edited:
HCPD crime scene units at Clodfelter house

MURRELLS INLET, S.C. (WPDE) — Horry County police crime scene units were at the home of Irene Clodfelter on Friday morning.

At least two HCPD crime scene units were at the Clodfelter home on Columbine Court Friday morning. HCPD would not comment on the nature of their presence, saying only the investigation is ongoing.

( from photos in the article, this house must be the one that is south of the trailer park, in Murrells Inlet.)

ETA, corrected that the location is south in Murrells Inlet
Thank you for the article. I hope LE finds everything they need to successfully prosecute this woman.

See map below. The Clodfelter home is about 23 miles south of the Travel Park where Mr. Clodfelter's remains were found.
Snipped...

Columbine Court, Murrell's Inlet (HC's residence) to Myrtle Beach Travel Park (remains found): Google Maps

Thank you for the article. I hope LE finds everything they need to successfully prosecute this woman.

See map below. The Clodfelter home is about 23 miles south of the Travel Park where Mr. Clodfelter's remains were found.

Looks like a very nice area, on a golf course. Such a small golf community must be reeling with talk of this.

Discovery of elderly man’s hidden remains spurs accusations, charges — and many questions

This is an interesting read with more details than I had previously seen.

THE MURDER?
The details of Hubert Clodfelter’s killing remain somewhat secretive. Horry County Deputy Coroner Patty Bellamy said they have not determined the cause or manner of his death.

Chief Deputy Scott Hixson said Hubert did not die of “natural means,” but did not elaborate about the manner of death.

Irene Clodfelter says her son is to blame for the killing, but officials believe he may have died months ago. If he did kill Hubert, details of why and how may never be determined.

Discovery of elderly man’s hidden remains spurs accusations, charges — and many questions

This is an interesting read with more details than I had previously seen.

It appears that they have added a photograph of the trailer and the steps where his body was found. Also, "If the judge finds probable cause, the case is bond over — meaning it will be presented to the grand jury. Grand jury proceedings are secret as the panel hears evidence and decides if there should be a formal charge, called an indictment. Grand juries in South Carolina counties meet once a month.

As Irene Clodfelter awaits those steps, she already has her first general session court appearance scheduled for Aug. 6. "

Attachments

• Remains house 8329123.jpg
    Remains house 8329123.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 28
Timeline: The death of Murrells Inlet's Hubert Lee Clodfelter

Wednesday, July 17, 2019
ABC 15 obtains the heavily-redacted Coroner's Report from Horry County.
This story will be updated as new developments in the case arise.

Does the Coroner's Report offer a clue in the Clodfelter case?

But, the document is heavily redacted due to "an ongoing investigation."
Good to see some news here. Thank you, dixiegirl. :)

This is interesting - from the second article:

While Hubert's date of birth is redacted, one of his daughters confirmed Hubert's 85th birthday was May 13, 2019. But, right underneath his redacted DOB, it's stated that the decedent was 85 at the time of his death.

What makes this potentially interesting is that in warrants related to Irene's Horry County arrest, it's stated that she told investigators she found Hubert's body on or about May 28, 2019.

Calls to investigators to confirm the possible window of death as between May 13 and May 28, 2019, have not yet been returned.

Good to see some news here. Thank you, dixiegirl. :)

This is interesting - from the second article:

While Hubert's date of birth is redacted, one of his daughters confirmed Hubert's 85th birthday was May 13, 2019. But, right underneath his redacted DOB, it's stated that the decedent was 85 at the time of his death.

What makes this potentially interesting is that in warrants related to Irene's Horry County arrest, it's stated that she told investigators she found Hubert's body on or about May 28, 2019.

Calls to investigators to confirm the possible window of death as between May 13 and May 28, 2019, have not yet been returned.

The document being redacted so heavily," because of an ongoing investigation", may lead some WS folks with so many other cases like this, to think that there is someone else involved. M o o.

:wink: sitting on hands due to terms of service

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder
Back