SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw on Fox News a shot of the flowers left in front of the church and one note said "9 for the victims, 2 for the survivors, and 1 for the Roof family". Wow. Just another example of how generous of spirit and kind the people of SC are, I myself only have anger in my heart for this monster.

Reading details about the victims and seeing their pictures with their big wide smiles, living wonderful, full and amazing lives, all individuals who welcomed this person (stranger?) into their church with open arms and prayed with him for an hour, brings tears to my eyes and makes my stomach hurt. How cruel can humanity be? It's just so...sad.

:rose: My heart goes out to the victims and their families. My thoughts are with those who live in SC and everyone who is affected by this.
:grouphug: WS

CH0mdFHWUAAsXPP.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 3h3 hours ago

The community is doing a superb job of being there for us - Sylvia Johnson, Rev Pinckney’s cousin

CH0olYbXAAA6rgb.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 2h2 hours ago

We pray for him & his family, we just pray justice is done - Sylvia Johnson on #CharlestonShooting suspect

In life it’s not when you fall, it’s how you get up and move forward - #Charleston Mayor Joe Riley on #churchshooting

It is also common for people to have Confederate flags and stickers in the South.. 99.9% of them do not shoot up churches. My parents expressed some of these ideas and still do. I have no Confederate emblems and have never shot anyone despite the endemic racism hate, and mass mental illness I am surrounded by here all the time.

Maybe you should move to a better neighborhood (or State).

I don't think anyone is saying this wasn't racially motivated. I think that giving it "hate crime" status would push it into federal court. That would put him in federal prison, which are supposedly nicer than state prisons. Who would want that?

Can we move on from this discussion of hate? There's news coming out about his capture. Very interesting.

I'm sure the inmates at Leavenworth would disagree.

I don't think having TV or Weight Lifting is all that big a perk when you stop and think these inmates can't go to the bathroom without someone watching. And someone tells them when to eat, when to sleep, when to wake & who they can talk to.
Not being able to eat KFC or Taco Bell or a Steak or to take a hot bath are things I can't even imagine never having again. These things seems like nothing but all those nothings add up.

Prison is not a luxury vacation, period.

CH0vlQ9XAAAXaeT.jpg

CH0x-9ZWsAAv7CR.jpg

CH0yZeCWoAAtWWT.jpg

When you think of SCarolina, we want people to think of the people who came to the church today - @SenatorTimScott

I have been sitting here thinking of everyone's posts..mine included and it is all so heartbreaking. I was thinking about the emotions pouring out in the posts..sorrow , anger, vengenace , justice, and compassion. Compassion..that thought reminded me of scene from one of my favorite shows..The West Wing. Latino Presidential Canidate Matt Santos gives a speech at an African American church , the day after a teenage black boy is accidentally shot by a latino police officer. It was a great speech and I thought I would share it . Although the circumstances are different I think it sums up the emotional environment I have read here and in comment sections.

SANTOS
You know, I find myself on days like this casting around for someone to
blame. I blame the kid, he stole a car. I blame the parents, why couldn't
they teach him better. I blame the cop, did he need to fire. I blame every
one I can think of and I am filled with rage. And then I try and find
compassion. Compassion for the people I blame, compassion for the people I
do not understand, compassion. It doesn't always work so well. I remember
as a young man listening on the radio to Dr. King in 1968. He asked of us
compassion and we responded, not necessarily because we felt it but because he
convinced us that if we could find compassion, if we could express compassion,
that if we could just pretend compassion it would heal us so much more than
vengeance could. And he was right: it did but not enough. What we've learned
this week is that more compassion is required of us and an even greater
effort is required of us. And we are all, I think everyone of us, are tired.

We're tired of understanding, we're tired of waiting, we're tired of trying
to figure out why our children are not safe and why our efforts to try to
make them safe seem to fail. We're tired. But we must know that we have made
some progress and blame will only destroy it. Blame will breed more violence
and we have had enough of that.

Blame will not rid our streets of crime and drugs and fear and we have had
enough of that. Blame will not strengthen our schools or our families or
our workforce. Blame will rob us of those things and we have had enough
of that. And so I ask you today to dig down deep with me and find that
compassion in your hearts because it will keep us on the road. And we will
walk together and work together. And slowly, slowly, too slowly, things will
get better. God bless you. God bless you and God bless your children.

CH0m0ImWcAAYo3Q.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° retweeted
Chuck Hadad ‏@ChuckHadadCNN 3h3 hours ago

Woman prays at vigil in front of Emanuel A.M.E. Church #CharlestonShooting

What a visually beautiful church. It's hard to even imagine the horror that those poor people went through inside those sacred walls. I'm not a particularly religious person so I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but I can only hope that the families of the victims will be able to seek a bit of solace through their faith. :(

Two people can transfer a gun between each other. A business is required to do a background check in order to sell a gun.

A gun starts at the manufacturer. The guy who buys it from the manufacturer is usually a distributor. It has a paperwork trail. The distributor sells it to a legal gun dealer. There is paperwork. The gun dealer sells it to a buyer, there is paperwork. That buyer can do a person to person sale without paperwork. BUT they are the last known person to be on the hook for that gun. So if a crime happens, that gun is traced to them.

The problem is the lack of gun control. If you are not for gun control (most gun ownership advocates are not) then you are not for the rights law abiding citizens to own guns. You are for the rights of criminals and mentally ill people to own guns. Because those are the people you are advocating for. Law abiding citizens would be able to get the guns, even with strong gun laws.

The gun culture and lack of common sense gun laws is the real problem.

The problem is the lack of gun control. If you are not for gun control (most gun ownership advocates are not) then you are not for the rights law abiding citizens to own guns. You are for the rights of criminals and mentally ill people to own guns. Because those are the people you are advocating for. Law abiding citizens would be able to get the guns, even with strong gun laws.

The gun culture and lack of common sense gun laws is the real problem.

You can't restrict or keep two people from exchanging or selling a gun to the other anymore than keeping someone from selling basically anything to another person.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 6m6 minutes ago

Debbie Dills spotted suspected killer Dylann Roof while she drove to work in N.C. http://cnn.it/1G9cDvl

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 2m2 minutes ago

Official: Charleston massacre suspect's dad bought him gun for 21st birthday. Suspect's grandfather disputes this. http://cnn.it/1G9d9tc

from story: It's uncertain who bought the gun Roof used.

A senior law enforcement source told CNN the suspect's father had recently bought him a .45-caliber gun for his 21st birthday in April.

But Roof's grandfather says it was just "birthday money" and that the family didn't know what Roof did with that money.

This is extremely heartbreaking. But senseless killings like this did not happen 15 years ago, especially with the suspects/killers being so young.
These young people are desensitized by playing stupid video games where you kill people and the more people you kill earns you a higher score.
Sad but true.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 2m2 minutes ago

Official: Charleston massacre suspect's dad bought him gun for 21st birthday. Suspect's grandfather disputes this. http://cnn.it/1G9d9tc

from story: It's uncertain who bought the gun Roof used.

A senior law enforcement source told CNN the suspect's father had recently bought him a .45-caliber gun for his 21st birthday in April.

But Roof's grandfather says it was just "birthday money" and that the family didn't know what Roof did with that money.
The article I linked up thread, his friend also said the gun was obtained from birthday money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member