SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I do? Huh? Please explain. You lost me on this one.

Not to speak for EllieBee, I think she meant that giving drugs and a gun to someone on his birthday "is the sort of thing one does" -- jokingly, that is. I don't think she was saying that you personally are in the habit of giving guns and pills as birthday presents.

Overall violent crime and homicide is going down in developed countries, and violent movies and video games are as popular as ever. But mass shootings are on the rise in America. I don't think video games are the problem. I don't know what the problem is either.

You can't restrict or keep two people from exchanging or selling a gun to the other anymore than keeping someone from selling basically anything to another person.

You can't keep people from selling marijuana to each other either, but that doesn't stop the government from making that illegal, and guns are a lot more dangerous then weed.

CH0vlQ9XAAAXaeT.jpg

CH0x-9ZWsAAv7CR.jpg

CH0yZeCWoAAtWWT.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 2h2 hours ago

When you think of SCarolina, we want people to think of the people who came to the church today - @SenatorTimScott

This is BEAUTIFUL!

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

It just popped into my mind that I guess I really don't understand the difference between a hate crime and terrorism.

Has anyone called this a terrorist act yet? I've been working a lot of hours so have had limited time to read the news either.

It just came into my mind that if the shooter had been a Muslim of Middle Eastern descent instead of a white guy, we'd be hearing a lot more of the T word being thrown around, like it was after that Draw Muhammad thingy shooting.

ETA: By "anyone" I meant anyone in authority, law enforcement, government, etc.

Blame - the ever present question/discussion

Video games
Gun control laws
Racism
Drugs
The media

The only REAL blame lays squarely on Roof's shoulders. It was Roof's decisions/choices that created and executed this horrific crime.

Choices
We live every minute of every day by our own choices. From the minute we wake up every morning to the time we lay our head on that pillow every night.

Everything we do is a choice. And boy o boy did Roof make some seriously bad choices.

Now all the things I listed above can or could be factors in those choices but in the end - it was this kid's choice as to which path he took.

We need, as a society, as a people to educate and guide our future generations on how to make good choices - make the right choices before real positive change can happen.

JMHO

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

It just popped into my mind that I guess I really don't understand the difference between a hate crime and terrorism.

Has anyone called this a terrorist act yet? I've been working a lot of hours so have had limited time to read the news either.

It just came into my mind that if the shooter had been a Muslim of Middle Eastern descent instead of a white guy, we'd be hearing a lot more of the T word being thrown around, like it was after that Draw Muhammad thingy shooting.

Terrorism has been talked about- Terrorism is an act that is performed to instill fear and confusion.
I personally believe this crime is both.

Terrorism has been talked about- Terrorism is an act that is performed to instill fear and confusion.
I personally believe this crime is both.

I think that part of the definition of terrorism is that it is done to further some political and social agenda, rather than satisfy someone's hatred or fantasies. I don't think that this crime qualifies as terrorism -- unless we learn that the killer was part of an organized group that is planning similar mass killings as part of a political statement. It appears that this was a lone wolf unaffiliated with any group.

But yes, I think that if the killer had been Muslim, and the victims had been, say, Jewish, we would have heard people calling it terrorism, even if it was a total lone wolf.

Everything we do is a choice. And boy o boy did Roof make some seriously bad choices.

JMHO

Snipped for focus

Not the least of which is that haircut. :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm one of those people who copes with horrific stuff by trying to mine any possible morsel of humor from them.

I am not laughing at what happened.

I think that part of the definition of terrorism is that it is done to further some political and social agenda, rather than satisfy someone's hatred or fantasies. I don't think that this crime qualifies as terrorism --

Snipped for focus

The FBI disagrees. BBM for focus. Key word: OR.

Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping;

and

Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

A lone wolf can still be defined as a terrorist. I do believe he was a Domestic Terrorist because he told his friend he wanted to start a civil war. I think he should be seen as a terrorist and should be tried for Capital Murder, and hopefully receive the Death Penalty. JMO

"I have one job and it's a pretty simple job," Stewart said on his show Thursday night. "I come in the morning and we look at the news, and I write jokes about it.

"But I didn't do my job today. So I apologize. I got nothing for you ... because of what happened in South Carolina."

Stewart expressed despair over what he said would be a largely non-response by Americans to the attack. He said he was baffled by "the disparity of response between when we think people that are foreign are going to kill us and us killing ourselves," referring to the threat of Islamist extremism.

"This is a terrorist attack," Stewart said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ch...-shooting-leaves-jon-stewart-jokeless-n378236

Right, but there was no attempt to "intimidate or coerce a civilian population." What was the intimidation -- to discourage people from being black or going to church? Where was the coercion?

This was a one-off. He said he 'wanted to kill black people' -- with no purpose declared.

As a hate crime, he will be tried federally and it will be a capital offense.

Right, but there was no attempt to "intimidate or coerce a civilian population." What was the intimidation -- to discourage people from being black or going to church? Where was the coercion?

This was a one-off. He said he 'wanted to kill black people' -- with no purpose declared.

What was the intimidation?

He was intimidating innocent black people by shooting them for no reason other than their race. Sounds pretty freaking intimidating to me.

I think he is a terrorist. JMO

Blame - the ever present question/discussion

Video games
Gun control laws
Racism
Drugs
The media

The only REAL blame lays squarely on Roof's shoulders. It was Roof's decisions/choices that created and executed this horrific crime.

Choices
We live every minute of every day by our own choices. From the minute we wake up every morning to the time we lay our head on that pillow every night.

Now all the things I listed above can or could be factors in those choices but in the end - it was this kid's choice as to which path he took.

We need, as a society, as a people to educate and guide our future generations on how to make good choices - make the right choices before real positive change can happen.

JMHO

His next choice will be lethal injection or electric chair.

It's more complicated than that. Racial hate crimes aren't punishable by death under federal law.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...te_crime_charge_could_actually_soften_penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico