SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CH5xn2HWIAA9myR.jpg

CH5xonmWwAE9jkY.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 5m5 minutes ago

Judge in #CharlestonShooting suspect’s bond hearing received a “public reprimand” for 2005 racist remarks

(I've read the family's statement).

His father sounds like a foul demon and sorry, South Carolina has more than its fair share of unrepentant hard core racists, and Roof had problems, and you know what?

Every bit of that helps explain what he did in some kind of abstract intellectual way, but when it comes right down to it, NONE of it explains away the fact this boy and not that boy or the other boy, nor the thousands others just like him in that state or another state, haven't and won't gun down innocent folks while they pray and rejoice in God.

THIS boy is a hating racist cold blooded murderer, and maybe I've just spent too much time recently trying to figure out the why's of such people, but man am I tired of having families brought into the figuring, or hearing sociological figurings or demographic figurings or anything else, EXCEPT the obvious, that the hating racist murderous boy couldn't have murdered so many people so quickly had he not had a gun, and sorry, I find it a deeply shameful thing that no matter the tens and tens of thousands of murders committed in the U.S. of A, including massacres of school children and moviegoers and college kids and folks in restaurants just hoping for a good meal, and no matter the almost killed, including presidents, even, FGS, that no matter all of that, guns and shotguns and automatic rifles and every other kind of weapon are served up like candy, flow like water.

THAT boy. (another day, another boy, man, girl, woman) Plus (hatred as acceptable hobby, mental illness, jealousy, desire for fame, racism, etc.) PLUS A GUN.

I wish with all my heart for it to be different, but it won't be. Not tomorrow or next month or next year.

Yes! The elephant in the room. Guns.

CH5yybZWUAA-YU0.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 4m4 minutes ago

She was always happy - Camryn Singleton remembers her mother Sharonda who was killed in the #CharlestonShooting

I see it as a reverence for the fallen confederacy. People who display it are making a statement. But it should NOT be flown at the State House, because the reverence for the economic policy of the confederation is NOT a unanimous value shared by the people of the state of South Carolina.JMO

I don't know if it matters but I believe it's not actually flown at the "state house" or "Capitol building" or whatever they call it in SC with the state and US flags. It is flown in front of the Confederate War Veterans Memorial (I think) which is on the grounds of the Capitol.

Quoting myself but this is what they showed:

"There are four kinds of people in this world - black people, white people, red necks, and n________." Charleston County Magistrate James B. Gosnell, Jr. , November 6, 2003, Source: South Carolina Judicial Department

Evidently he was repeating advice that he had heard from a veteran "African-American" sheriff's deputy! :gaah:

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=26052

Hmm. Maybe now I understand his words to the killer's family a bit better....

JMO

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 2m2 minutes ago

Suspect’s family says father, sister and uncle called tipline after #CharlestonShooting - @BrianToddCNN reports

CH5yybZWUAA-YU0.jpg

She was always happy - Camryn Singleton remembers her mother Sharonda who was killed in the #CharlestonShooting

She was a speech and language pathologist like me. :anguish:

CH5yybZWUAA-YU0.jpg

Queen Bee,I want to thank you for always giving a face to the victims.

You are lovely.

Quoting myself but this is what they showed:

"There are four kinds of people in this world - black people, white people, red necks, and n________." Charleston County Magistrate James B. Gosnell, Jr. , November 6, 2003, Source: South Carolina Judicial Department

Evidently he was repeating advice that he had heard from a veteran "African-American" sheriff's deputy! :gaah:

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=26052

I can see how a veteran AA Deputy would see it that way, after being out in the streets among all four categories. I do not see how that statement makes the judge a racist though. He obviously should have changed the last word to something less politically incorrect, but there was a valid point he was trying to make, TO THE BLACK SUSPECT he was speaking to. You need to know your audience. IMO, he was speaking in a way that would make him heard.

I used to work in an inner city high school. I used to use cuss words to get my point across and to be 'accepted' and to be heard by some of the students. They tune you out if you talk like an 'old white lady.' JMO

First, let me say, I am in no way defending the judge or anyone else who uses the 'N' word. However, some of us elderly can remember a time when it was used as simply a descriptive term, nothing more. At one time it did NOT necessarily imply disrespect or discrimination. It was the equivalent of someone talking about "Indians". Now the correct terminology is "Native American". Times have changed. I have never harbored any ill will toward African Americans, but years & years ago I have used the "N" word simply because that was the descriptive terminology of the 1940s & part of the 1950s.

I know what you're saying, but we're talking about 2003, and we're not just talking about a member of the public, but someone who is a representative of the justice system, who has very real power over people, using that term. And frankly, 'Indian' and the N-word aren't quite of the same order.

I work in the high arctic for about half of the year -- the people there used to be called 'Eskimos', but most now prefer 'Inuit'. Fair enough. Some 'Inuit' still self identify as 'Eskimo' (and the term is not uncommon in the western Arctic). But as economically and socially disadvantaged as they are (as a population), they have never been enslaved in the way AA have been, or lynched, etc., so 'Eskimo' doesn't carry the same sort of baggage, and if they have a tourist from, let's say, Germany, who uses the term 'Eskimo', it is usually taken in stride.

But if a federally appointed judge were to use the term 'Eskimo', especially in a pejorative way as with the above, it would likely be the last day that judge worked in that capacity or place.

First, let me say, I am in no way defending the judge or anyone else who uses the 'N' word. However, some of us elderly can remember a time when it was used as simply a descriptive term, nothing more. At one time it did NOT necessarily imply disrespect or discrimination. It was the equivalent of someone talking about "Indians". Now the correct terminology is "Native American". Times have changed. I have never harbored any ill will toward African Americans, but years & years ago I have used the "N" word simply because that was the descriptive terminology of the 1940s & part of the 1950s.

Except he was a sitting judge and it was in 2003. I would expect a judge to have better judgement.

However I do agree with the contemporary terminology thing. My grandparents said "colored people" long after it was no longer the acceptable term, but they meant no harm. They thought that was the correct thing to say.

I was always gently reminding them that the term was "black", lol. (This was pre-AA).

O/T- when my daughter was learning about the civil rights movement in elementary school, she said "I think Colored is a better word because skin is all colors and anyway I never saw anyone with black skin. Just brown and pink." I had no words. She made a good point. Out of the mouths of babes....

I can see how a veteran AA Deputy would see it that way, after being out in the streets among all four categories. I do not see how that statement makes the judge a racist though. He obviously should have changed the last word to something less politically incorrect, but there was a valid point he was trying to make, TO THE BLACK SUSPECT he was speaking to. You need to know your audience. IMO, he was speaking in a way that would make him heard.

I used to work in an inner city high school. I used to use cuss words to get my point across and to be 'accepted' and to be heard by some of the students. They tune you out if you talk like an 'old white lady.' JMO

Wow. We would be fired if we swear at students.

I have a friend from a foreign country who married a very very wealthy man from the US. This was in the 60's. She is a brown skinned person. She had servants and called them the n word because that is what she thought they were called in the US.

Someone told her it was not so and she asked the pardon of the servants. They said that it was all right as she would not know.

But it was not an acceotable word back in the 60's. Black people use it, but it is not a term to be used by others.

political correct is a term that enrages me. We are learning what terms are offensive to others . Instead of holding the shame inside, we are being educated on terms that hurt.

Who wants to hurt other people by words that cause distress? Or words that limit such as having jobs end in "man" such as policeman or fireman or mailman.

Time to grow and expand our knowledge ,not hide our heads in the sand and proclaim loudly about political correctness. Ugh

My daughter is half black. She uses the n-word with her friends on a regular basis. I don't like it, but it is what kids her age do. She feels like it is taking the power away from bigots by taking it for themselves. Much like the Gays did by using the word 'queer' for themselves and taking it away from the bigots.

Just becaUSE someone uses 'the word' it does not mean they are a racist. One needs to look at what they were saying. The judge had a valid pint he was trying to make. He was not calling someone by that name. He was speaking to a young man in court and hoping to steer him in the right direction.

CH55jpAW8AQ5BSt.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 6m6 minutes ago

He took his last breath trying to save his family - A.J. Harley remembers friend Tywanza Sanders. #CharlestonShooting

CH5xn2HWIAA9myR.jpg

CH5xonmWwAE9jkY.jpg

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 5m5 minutes ago

Judge in #CharlestonShooting suspect’s bond hearing received a “public reprimand” for 2005 racist remarks

I really hope the Feds bring charges of hate crimes against this killer. There's no guarantee the public can trust the justice system in this state. OTOH, it will be helpful to shine a light on the problems there and hopefully shame its leaders into being more responsible and accountable. Moving into the 21st Century would do them a lot of good.

Wow. We would be fired if we swear at students.

I have a friend from a foreign country who married a very very wealthy man from the US. This was in the 60's. She is a brown skinned person. She had servants and called them the n word because that is what she thought they were called in the US.

Someone told her it was not so and she asked the pardon of the servants. They said that it was all right as she would not know.

But it was not an acceotable word back in the 60's. Black people use it, but it is not a term to be used by others.

political correct is a term that enrages me. We are learning what terms are offensive to others . Instead of holding the shame inside, we are being educated on terms that hurt.

Who wants to hurt other people by words that cause distress? Or words that limit such as having jobs end in "man" such as policeman or fireman or mailman.

Time to grow and expand our knowledge ,not hide our heads in the sand and proclaim loudly about political correctness. Ugh

I never swore at any students. I said I used cuss words at times. Like in telling a story I would throw an expletive in as a modifier, not AT A STUDENT.

ETA: I worked specifically with kids AT RISK of not graduating. I was a last chance life line to help them make up work and tests and get needed credits. These kids had often kind of given up already and we needed to motivate them. I spoke their language purposely, to get them to trust that I understood what they were going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_ks