SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m expecting pretty much the same kind of report on 48 hrs tonight but im looking forward to it with coffee dripping. This is the kind of attention, even tho this has been a major topic for months, that we have been wanting. I’m following a few cases here on WS that I wish could get this exposure.

I wish. After the drug connection another door has opened.

This drug connection seems to have some angles to explore. I’m following a local murder here at home that was over a sour drug deal so maybe that’s why my brows tend to raise after hearing AMs drug thing.
He just seems like the the type, and I’ve known them, who would zero in on people who weren’t exactly drug dealers but who could get prescriptions and sell the meds. People who are usually lower income who a wealthy person would “take care of” as long as they made dr visits. I can only imagine the talk among the drug culture down there.

I’m expecting pretty much the same kind of report on 48 hrs tonight but im looking forward to it with coffee dripping. This is the kind of attention, even tho this has been a major topic for months, that we have been wanting. I’m following a few cases here on WS that I wish could get this exposure.

For all of the silence we have had since June it’s nice to have a downpour of activity for momentum sake.

Eight Members/Associates of Cowboys Gang in South Carolina Sentenced for RICO Conspiracy and Violent Crimes in Aid of Racketeering

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Eight Members/Associates of Cowboys Gang in South Carolina Sentenced for RICO Conspiracy and Violent Crimes in Aid of Racketeering

Member of Cowboys Gang in South Carolina Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for RICO Conspiracy

Friday, December 15, 2017

Member of Cowboys Gang in South Carolina Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for RICO Conspiracy

“More than $200,000 worth of checks were written between early June, when Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, were shot to death at the family home, and in early September when Murdaugh allegedly staged a botched suicide attempt, sources said.”
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article255393791.html#storylink=cpy
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article255393791.html#storylink=cpy

This is an interesting timeline for when checks were issued. I would imagine that if a person didn’t claim to have a drug addiction then LE might be looking at these checks as payment for a hit ? Who writes checks to purchase drugs ? Who would write checks for drugs when there is a SLED investigation into the murder of their wife and son ?

Right! Drugs, my butt. AM isn't a street dealer and he couldn't do that much in drugs. Besides, if he was dealing drugs he would not have been broke.

Moo.

The money trail linking Murdaugh is allegedly in checks he wrote to a person who, in turn, would write checks to couriers to buy drugs, the sources said. The couriers are believed to have bought the drugs from Cowboys gang affiliates, they said.

SC grand jury to look at drug money trail from Alex Murdaugh to Lowcountry gang, sources say

Appears the cowboys were 3 steps from AM, if this is true.

The money man.

Jmo

He was keeping distance from the actual dealers. I’m guessing that he knew it possible to get caught on tape or something if he got too close. That lawyer thinking.

They look to me like they may have Fragile X syndrome, but it could be anything, and that's including that the may look like their father.

It seems by the two sons having different last names that they may have different fathers, I was not married and gave my daughter my last name.

The sons having what ever it is made me even more angry that he stole from them, like they didn’t deserve it.

Just breaks my heart.

Thank goodness Gloria has family that seems to be taking care and helping them.

Jmo

911 DISPATCHER: 911, where's your emergency?

ALEX MURDAUGH: This is Alex Murdaugh. … My wife and child have been shot badly …

But how did it come to this? Michael DeWitt, editor of The Hampton County Guardian, part of the Gannett USA Today network, says Alex Murdaugh came from a family that over generations grew deep roots and amassed power and influence in this part of South Carolina.

The Murdaugh mysteries: Five deaths with a connection to disgraced S.C. attorney, family, under investigation

Michael DeWitt: The Murdaughs built an empire of sorts here in the Lowcountry.

Michael DeWitt: Alex inherited the last name and the red hair, and very little of the talent.

Much more at link.

If it is found out BM is moving/shifting money around to hide their wealth could he be charged as a co-conspirator?

I think the clear answer to that question could be about as clear as the enforcement of Covid orders:

Maybe "Yes", well at least in theory. In practice, usually not- but this case is being scrutinized- so maybe yes.

Once a lawsuit has been placed against an individual, a defendant who attempts to move / shift assets for the purpose of evading a judgement can be charged with Fraudulent Transfer. As a result, it seems that somebody actively assisting him would also be guilty of a form of fraud.

But, what is possible in theory, may be very different in practice.....

I have a general understanding that Courts do not view themselves as debt collectors. As a result, they do not assist in judgement collection by putting the thumb screws on a defendant via Court orders.

Yes, they will order property seized pursuant to a judgement- if its shown to them. But they don't usually assist in locating property, nor do they compel defendants to produce it.

That attitude could well extend to police regarding Fraudulent Transfers and those who actively assisting in them. Active enforcement might smack of using the police for debt collection. This could well yield a "We just don't do that- at least not very often" attitude regarding enforcement.

Last edited:
Murdaugh Murders Saga: Which Drug ‘Pipeline’ Is Being Targeted?

Both the Post and Courier and McClatchy reports cited anonymous sources in referencing the grand jury investigation, which appears to stem from checks written by disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh to a drug courier.

Those checks created a paper trial, sources familiar with the investigation said, with Murdaugh receiving deliveries of methamphetamine and opioids in exchange for the payments.

While the operations of a small-time local gang are small potatoes compared to some of the smuggling operations Murdaugh associates have been linked to, that doesn’t mean this won’t wind up being a significant development in this still-unfolding drama. After all, as a source familiar with the grand jury process told me late Friday it doesn’t do “small drug conspiracies.”

Also, the grand jury could provide a nexus for investigators to dig deeper into more significant drug-related allegations linked to Murdaugh associates.

<snip>

According to Wilks and Smith, the statewide grand jury is set to convene next month “to investigate the drug pipeline” that allegedly fed Murdaugh’s “decades-long addiction to opioids.”

You know … the “decades-long addiction” that has become a convenient scapegoat for Murdaugh in connection with a host of other criminal investigations and civil cases centering around him, his family or his firm.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that myself until now, but it helps to explain how Alex was able to pull the wool over their eyes.

That may be a part of it but I think a combination of him being a (previously) 'respected' individual, knowledgeable in the personal injury/financial fields, and being someone their mother likely admired and trusted for years also led them to believe they were in good, caring hands.

Money AM borrowed from J Parker

March 5. $150,000

May 19. $77,000

July 15. $250,000

Bland previously told FITSNews the receivers will be able to find out whether or not Griffin and Harpootlian were paid any fees from funds allegedly stolen from the Satterfield settlement.

‘There’s No One To Defend Mr. Murdaugh’: Judge To Rule On Alex And Buster’s Assets Next Week

In court, Tinsley said Griffin charged $750 an hour for his attorney fees.

Maybe AM took money from JP to pay Harpootlian & Griffin to represent PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BurgoPI