SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be a part of it but I think a combination of him being a (previously) 'respected' individual, knowledgeable in the personal injury/financial fields, and being someone their mother likely admired and trusted for years also led them to believe they were in good, caring hands.

Agreed. Much like the Cook kid with “we will take care of it”.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Which Drug ‘Pipeline’ Is Being Targeted?

Both the Post and Courier and McClatchy reports cited anonymous sources in referencing the grand jury investigation, which appears to stem from checks written by disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh to a drug courier.

Those checks created a paper trial, sources familiar with the investigation said, with Murdaugh receiving deliveries of methamphetamine and opioids in exchange for the payments.

While the operations of a small-time local gang are small potatoes compared to some of the smuggling operations Murdaugh associates have been linked to, that doesn’t mean this won’t wind up being a significant development in this still-unfolding drama. After all, as a source familiar with the grand jury process told me late Friday it doesn’t do “small drug conspiracies.”

Also, the grand jury could provide a nexus for investigators to dig deeper into more significant drug-related allegations linked to Murdaugh associates.

<snip>

According to Wilks and Smith, the statewide grand jury is set to convene next month “to investigate the drug pipeline” that allegedly fed Murdaugh’s “decades-long addiction to opioids.”

You know … the “decades-long addiction” that has become a convenient scapegoat for Murdaugh in connection with a host of other criminal investigations and civil cases centering around him, his family or his firm.
"Those checks created a paper trial, sources familiar with the investigation said, with Murdaugh receiving deliveries of methamphetamine and opioids in exchange for the payments."

So AM was a meth user as well as an opioid addict? His lawyers never mentioned methamphetamines, did they? hummm

I think this might get very interesting. I wonder just how many checks for how much product we're talking here?

Money AM borrowed from J Parker

March 5. $150,000

May 19. $77,000

July 15. $250,000

Bland previously told FITSNews the receivers will be able to find out whether or not Griffin and Harpootlian were paid any fees from funds allegedly stolen from the Satterfield settlement.

‘There’s No One To Defend Mr. Murdaugh’: Judge To Rule On Alex And Buster’s Assets Next Week

In court, Tinsley said Griffin charged $750 an hour for his attorney fees.

Maybe AM took money from JP to pay Harpootlian & Griffin to represent PM.
There's no one to defend AM? I can't read this link, paywall. Are his attorneys stepping away?

There's no one to defend AM? I can't read this link, paywall. Are his attorneys stepping away?

Not yet.

Think it’s because AM borrowing and not paying back is the “no one to defend him. He still has BM and JM unless JM doesn’t have the deep pockets to borrow from.

He put 300,000 in his parents account maybe that was borrowed as well.

Don’t know how he kept track, geez louise.
Jmo

911 DISPATCHER: 911, where's your emergency?

ALEX MURDAUGH: This is Alex Murdaugh. … My wife and child have been shot badly …

But how did it come to this? Michael DeWitt, editor of The Hampton County Guardian, part of the Gannett USA Today network, says Alex Murdaugh came from a family that over generations grew deep roots and amassed power and influence in this part of South Carolina.

The Murdaugh mysteries: Five deaths with a connection to disgraced S.C. attorney, family, under investigation

Michael DeWitt: The Murdaughs built an empire of sorts here in the Lowcountry.

Michael DeWitt: Alex inherited the last name and the red hair, and very little of the talent.

Much more at link.
I laughed out loud when reporter quipped …….and very little of the talent.

It’s shocking to see how AM trashed all the advantages he had. I’m very puzzled as to what scam he has been running that he’s spent so much money yet owes so much more money and no one knew he had an drug addiction.

Pootie is in a very foul mood snapping at everyone.
Wonder how long he’ll represent AM as the money dries up. He doesn’t strike me as a pro Bono type of guy.

Did you notice that AM’s alibi went back to visiting with his dying father? I liked that the professor from U of South Carolina pointed out that even a solid alibi doesn’t mean he wasn’t involved.

"Those checks created a paper trial, sources familiar with the investigation said, with Murdaugh receiving deliveries of methamphetamine and opioids in exchange for the payments."

So AM was a meth user as well as an opioid addict? His lawyers never mentioned methamphetamines, did they? hummm

I think this might get very interesting. I wonder just how many checks for how much product we're talking here?
He doesn't appear to be an habitual meth user. Perhaps the meth was for someone else?

Or was he buying the meth to be distributed?

Having an opioid addiction is so much more acceptable (sarcasm intended).

I’m thinking this addiction thing could be his smokescreen, as someone earlier pointed out.

Who is J Parker?

AM was helping his dad until he retired in 2006 from the firm, then dad went into private practice while his dad was getting a check from the firm.

As far as I have read AM has not worked since 2019.

Stone did not clarify why he was recusing himself from the case in his letter to South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson, but Alex Murdaugh had volunteered in the prosecutor's office to assist his father up until his father's death in June.

Murdaugh family: What to know about Hampton, SC murders, money scandal

Murdaugh's father was a paid contract employee of the circuit at the time of his death, but spokesman Jeff Kidd said Alex Murdaugh had not helped on a case for the circuit since 2019. Kidd said Wednesday the office had formally ended its relationship with Murdaugh.

AM was helping his dad until he retired in 2006 from the firm, then dad went into private practice while his dad was getting a check from the firm.

As far as I have read AM has not worked since 2019.

Stone did not clarify why he was recusing himself from the case in his letter to South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson, but Alex Murdaugh had volunteered in the prosecutor's office to assist his father up until his father's death in June.

Murdaugh family: What to know about Hampton, SC murders, money scandal

Murdaugh's father was a paid contract employee of the circuit at the time of his death, but spokesman Jeff Kidd said Alex Murdaugh had not helped on a case for the circuit since 2019. Kidd said Wednesday the office had formally ended its relationship with Murdaugh.

Didn’t Stone cite something related to the SLED investigation that very day as his reason for recusal?
Much like all these political folks, when they see that its no longer viable to defend them, it’s under the bus they go.

Who writes checks for drugs deals? Doesn't that go against Drug Dealing 101?

Just when you think this case can't get more twisted.

Sound like AM was writing a large amount check to an individual that then wrote multiply smaller amounts checks to buy the drugs from “gang members)?.

Individual probably cashed check then handed out cash for drugs.
Jmo

I think AM is most likely definitely involved with drugs - but NOT as a user / addict. Never forget his business partner Barrett T. Boulware assigned POA to AM; he bequeathed to AM all his properties, assets and operations of every sort and kind upon his death ... so I assume that includes his alleged drug smuggling empire. AM is looking more and more like a career criminal; he is deep into this sprawling cesspool.

Didn’t Stone cite something related to the SLED investigation that very day as his reason for recusal?
Much like all these political folks, when they see that its no longer viable to defend them, it’s under the bus they go.
He said because of something that came to light on that day he sent the letter, August 11th or 12th IIRC

Sound like AM was writing a large amount check to an individual that then wrote multiply smaller amounts checks to buy the drugs from “gang members)?.

Individual probably cashed check then handed out cash for drugs.
Jmo

Aren't all banks required to scrutinize cash transactions >$10,000 via federally mandated SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports)?

But if AM banked at, say, Palmetto State Bank, most likely his buddy VP Chad Westendorf would turn a blind eye to AM's big money activities ... with perhaps a healthy bribe or two sweetening the deliberate lack of required oversight.

JMO

I think AM is most likely definitely involved with drugs - but NOT as a user / addict. Never forget his business partner Barrett T. Boulware assigned POA to AM; he bequeathed to AM all his properties, assets and operations of every sort and kind upon his death ... so I assume that includes his alleged drug smuggling empire. AM is looking more and more like a career criminal; he is deep into this sprawling cesspool.
That was an interesting tidbit when it came out. A very questionable move on the part of BB...unless the man had no family.

I have to admit, this recent news has me rethinking things a bit. Over $200,000 was written in checks to this “courier” AFTER the murders of Paul and Maggie. That is significantly higher than what was being paid before. There is no way Alex personally did $200,000 of drugs in 2 months. And I certainly don’t believe he’s some drug kingpin. So…what does that tell us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper