SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
VERY INTERESTING!
Lots of information on the progression of GS’s condition after her fall as her son revealed through his FB postings, and Mandy’s analysis of and questions about the 911 recording from Feb. 2.

GS improved at hospital and was able to talk, even provided her SS# during admission. She had surgery for broken ribs. Much of what’s discussed in podcast is a surprise after what we’ve heard up to now.

What happened to Gloria Satterfield? Part five. | Murdaugh Murders Podcast, 1 Dec. 2021

‎Murdaugh Murders Podcast: What Happened To Gloria Satterfield? Part Five on Apple Podcasts
It does make you wonder, if she had improved at the hospital (as evidenced by her being able to provide her SSN), wouldn’t she have mentioned something if she had suspected or was aware of foul play in the incident? MOO.

It does make you wonder, if she had improved at the hospital (as evidenced by her being able to provide her SSN), wouldn’t she have mentioned something if she had suspected or was aware of foul play in the incident? MOO.
On face of it, a good point.

Alternatively, she could have been intimidated — worried about job security if she said something. We know she has had financial difficulties — and has a special-needs son, she could hardly risk losing her job or income. MOO.

And / or if she was concussed she might not have remembered what happened.

I was struck by Maggie telling dispatcher (about 2:35 in recording) that GS “just fell back down” and wanting to get off call; then later when questioned more on this, Paul says he was trying to hold her (GS) up (about 3:40) and she (MM?) says to “turn her loose” so GS fell back down. Falling again on bricks seems like it would exacerbate an already bad situation. MOO. Trying to picture this.

Agree Paul seems more concerned than Maggie. I missed that she didn’t want to touch her. I don’t get the trying to hold her up and then letting her fall again.

Interesting that GS fell up the stairs (I had been assuming she fell down from top), and they were the outside brick steps. I can see the dogs bounding down into her just at the time she was ascending, or sometimes dogs like to lie on a step with their back against the riser. If GS was attempting to avoid stepping on a sleeping dog and he started and moved, she could have tripped on him.

I hear the tone of call as PM and MM seeming maybe bewildered? They did sound oddly detached. MOO. MOO.

Also curious why SLED decided to release this recording. Wonder if they hoping for useful public feedback, or they are trying to release yet something else to satisfy public questioning that won’t jeopardize their investigations.

Going back to this post: relistened to recording several more times and my opinion now is that when Paul says he was holding GS up, SHE is the person who says to Paul, let go (and then she falls down again when he does).

My impression is that there is a third person involved — on the 6x6 Ranger out at the gate waiting for EMS, probably a farm hand.

My understanding is this recording has no redactions and neither Paul nor Maggie reveals their names. How did dispatcher know Maggie’s name?

How many people know the number of steps up to their front porch off top of their head?

All MOO!

Last edited:
Going back to this post: relistened to recording several more times and my opinion now is that when Paul says he was holding GS up, SHE is the person who says to Paul, let go (and then she falls down again when he does).

My impression is that there is a third person involved — on the 6x6 Ranger out at the gate waiting for EMS, probably a farm hand.

My understanding is this recording has no redactions and neither Paul nor Maggie reveals their names. How did dispatcher know Maggie’s name?

How many people know the number of steps up to their front porch off top of their head?

All MOO!

Bbm- My daughter thinks I’m strange because I count the steps in my house when I walk up or down them, so I can see how Maggie might know the number of steps, if she was a counter like I. I do it because sometimes I go up and down them in the dark, so I don’t worry about tripping on them.

“…Oddly detached…” is a good way to describe MM and PM in this call.
They never say anything like “please hurry! She’s hurt bad!”. It was pretty shocking to me.
And if she’d been my nanny and housekeeper for years I surely would have been able to tell her correct age to the dispatcher. Odd.

Bbm- My daughter thinks I’m strange because I count the steps in my house when I walk up or down them, so I can see how Maggie might know the number of steps, if she was a counter like I. I do it because sometimes I go up and down them in the dark, so I don’t worry about tripping on them.
And some of us just count them for no real reason. :oops::D

Also rolling around in my mind: are there conclusions to be drawn from comparing your reactions to 911 recording when GS fell and the amount of attention (or lack of) she got from the Ms while she was hospitalized?

It’s been reported, as I recall, that neither boy, nor Alex went to see GS over the 20-some days. I think Maggie went to see her once. Wonder if they sent flowers, cards, or called her family during that time?

Does the recording sound different or as you would expect knowing GS would have effectively no visits from the Ms? GS may not have wanted visitors or perhaps Ms thought they were doing her a favor by letting her rest uninterrupted, and of course she was in Charleston, some distance from Moselle / Hampton / Columbia.

I’m just musing, but the lack of visits doesn’t seem as surprising after experiencing the tone of call — oddly detached. :(

BTW: My housekeeper has worked for me over 30 years and my parents before me, (and please don’t judge me) but I don’t know her birthday and just recently learned her exact age — and we are very close — she IS a member of family. Not knowing her birthday isn’t a measure of my love for her.

Last edited:
Also rolling around in my mind: are there conclusions to be drawn from comparing your reactions to 911 recording when GS fell and the amount of attention (or lack of) she got from the Ms while she was hospitalized?

It’s been reported, as I recall, that neither boy, nor Alex went to see GS over the 20-some days. I think Maggie went to see her once. Wonder if they sent flowers, cards, or called her family during that time?

Does the recording sound different or as you would expect knowing GS would have effectively no visits from the Ms? GS may not have wanted visitors or perhaps Ms thought they were doing her a favor by letting her rest uninterrupted, and of course she was in Charleston, some distance from Moselle / Hampton / Columbia.

I’m just musing, but the lack of visits doesn’t seem as surprising after experiencing the tone of call — oddly detached. :(

BTW: My housekeeper has worked for me over 30 years and my parents before me, (and please don’t judge me) but I don’t know her birthday and just recently learned her exact age — and we are very close — she IS a member of family. Not knowing her birthday isn’t a measure of my love for her.
Thanks for this. Maggie was apparently only one year off in her off the cuff guess of Glorias age for 911. That is good!!! I can’t believe people would make an issue of that. My husband and I were just debating HIS age with our kids last night. None of us knew for sure. Come on.

I think that by that time in the call Maggie was able to move to a cell phone or portable phone and she was standing outside. That’s why she could answer. She was looking at them. JMO.

All MOO!
I think Paul was not able to handle the situation and that was why Maggie was so short and distracted. She needed to get out there. At the same time, later in the call, Paul got short because his mom needed his help too. It was an ongoing crisis. JMO.

also JMO: Mandy and Co-host. You brought new details and better audio to this story. You forced this audio to the public. But. One of you should have brought up this more sensitive perspective in my opinion. It would make it more interesting to explore multiple interpretations and it would be more thorough. FWIW. (ETA: plus I think my interpretation is probably right. ;))

Last edited:
@oxygen

Oxygen’s new special, Alex Murdaugh: Death. Deception. Power., dissects unexpected twists & turns in the high profile South Carolina attorney’s life that may have led him to become the man who stands accused of crimes today. The 2-hour event premieres December 12 8/7c on Oxygen
FFoj0AHVQAQOT1G

video clip
https://twitter.com/oxygen/status/1466470088207474698?s=20

I didn't listen to the call, but I know the one time I was on the phone with law enforcement to report an incident, they asked a lot of questions I found irritating (and seemingly unrelated) at the time. It was a stressful time and their questions didn't make it any less stressful. To be clear, I don't think highly of the Murdaughs, but I do understand how emotional the situation must've been.

I agree with you completely. I've made several 911 calls over the years and in some of those cases the call taker seems to think it's their job to play "Sherlock Holmes" and try to solve a crime.

Edited to add: After listening to the entire call I have to say that I don't believe this call taker asked inappropriate of unnecessary questions.

But she did speak too fast and her enunciation is not clear. Both Maggie and Paul had trouble understanding her and they had to ask her to repeat her questions several times.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely. I've made several 911 calls over the years and in some of those cases the call taker seems to think it's their job to play "Sherlock Holmes" and try to solve a crime.

Edited to add: After listening to the entire call I have to say that I don't believe this call taker asked inappropriate of unnecessary questions.

But she did speak too fast and her enunciation is not clear. Both Maggie and Paul had trouble understanding her and they had to ask her to repeat her questions several times.
Dispatcher also talked over them, so I doubt she heard some of their answers since it’s hard to listen when you are speaking. :rolleyes:

I've noticed since being here on this site the last few years, a lot of horrible dispatching calls. I come from a background of a lot of LE and dispatchers. Most have either passed away or retired. They would all be appalled. I don't know where the training protocols are coming from but they need to be revisited all over the country it looks like to me. MO

I think Paul was not able to handle the situation and that was why Maggie was so short and distracted. She needed to get out there. At the same time, later in the call, Paul got short because his mom needed his help too. It was an ongoing crisis. JMO.

also JMO: Mandy and Co-host. You brought new details and better audio to this story. You forced this audio to the public. But. One of you should have brought up this more sensitive perspective in my opinion. It would make it more interesting to explore multiple interpretations and it would be more thorough. FWIW. (ETA: plus I think my interpretation is probably right. ;))
I thought Paul did a great job. He was polite and concerned. Maggie sounded like she was "put out", I did not hear concern. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper