SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they got a banker or two already identified, lawyers too. Now they need some judges, some state politicians and maybe a couple of US Congress people? You just never know where the money trail will go. AJMO

I think you’re absolutely right. Judges and politicians are going down.
In my thoughts as someone from SC, AM is a big fish in his little part of SC and the bankers and other lawyers in trouble with him now are pretty much the same. Big fish in their little pond. Most of the rest of SC never heard of the Murdaughs before all this stirred up.
That being said, I think it’s obvious AM has schooled some higher officials over the years in how to get around things to benefit themselves and, no doubt, has scratched some backs that have scratched his in turn. The Murdaugh honey jar has been open to all with the correct connections. Corruption and a little crime dabbling is the fuel that lights the good things in life…beach houses and hunting estates, personal planes etc. Bless their hearts…

How Is Time of Death Determined for a Crime-Scene Victim? Hint: It Usually Involves Bugs

For that formula to work best, a freshly discovered body’s temperature is taken rectally. For the first several hours after one’s heart has stopped beating, the body’s core temperature drops towards ambient temperature (i.e. room temperature, if indoors). The formula approximates that the body loses 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit per hour, so the rectal temperature is subtracted from the normal body temperature of 98 degrees. The difference between the two is divided by 1.5, and that final number is used to approximate the time since death.
The first bugs attracted to a dead body? Blowflies, says Lauren Weidner, a forensic entomologist and lecturer at Purdue University. If they have easy access to a body (i.e. outdoors or with an open window, in agreeable weather, during the daytime), Weidner says “insects can arrive within minutes and then colonize within the hour.” The blowflies will lay tiny eggs in batches, usually in orifices or in a wound. [BBM]

“Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.”

“That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”

Someone please tell me what game show they were watching on TV at that time of night. That has bugged me for over a year. I have looked and cannot find one.

“Griffin also said that Alex drove to his mother’s house at 9 p.m., got to her house at 9:20 p.m., stayed for 20 minutes and then turned around and drove back to arrive at Moselle at 10 p.m.”

“That night? He’s sitting on the bedside of his mother at her house when the coroner says the murders happened. She has dementia. There’s a house sitter, caregiver … with him and they’re watching a gameshow on television.”

Someone please tell me what game show they were watching on TV at that time of night. That has bugged me for over a year. I have looked and cannot find one.
Good question!

IF there was a game show on, he’d be referring to something playing between 9 - 9.30p. We know JG has had his facts off in past like the entry and exit wounds.

It looks like Eddie did not post bond, but
it says “general release:”

What does general release mean in jail?
“it lets a defendant go based solely on his or promise to appear in court. Getting out of jail on one's own recognizance can often save a criminal defendant thousands of dollars in bail costs.”

Any ideas why they’d let him out in general release?

“it lets a defendant go based solely on his or promise to appear in court. Getting out of jail on one's own recognizance can often save a criminal defendant thousands of dollars in bail costs.”

I would think non violent crime tho they can and do deny bond for meth running since it’s considered “violent” under drug war laws. If they let him go on PR then it’s evident that they don’t think he has a hand in these murders.

I think Cousin E has turned States witness. He was arrested on June 27th and released in July 5th on those new charges. Just MOO

RSBM

In this case, two obvious murders, I don't believe TOD would be based solely on AM's witness statement. I think they (not sure who 'they' would be, but a doctor, at any rate, not the coroner who is an elected lay person), would have collected medical data, particularly asap the temperature of the bodies, degree of rigor mortis, and other key physical markers, and sent this data with the bodies for autopsy.

I think, clearly, the bodies were very recently dead. Hence the potential time of 9:30. They clearly hadn't been dead very long. However, the 9 pm at the earliest cut off may have come from AM's statement.

At any rate, it doesn't prevent police from proposing an earlier time for the crime, if they disbelieve the witness. But not by much, they can't argue the bodies were there for hours.

JMO
20 minutes would make a huge difference in this case. As in if the victims were killed 20 or even 10 minutes earlier. I think there is no way to get TOD down to the exact minute. Only takes a couple minutes to kill two people with a gun.

JMO

Just thinking here. I've believed that Alex had help, as two guns usually means two shooters (despite the fact we know he's not averse to staging crimes).

But I've also believed that if he did have help, it was with Cousin Eddie.

Fits is reporting that an indictment is imminent. If true, I can't imagine they'd just allow Eddie to walk out of jail, only to arrest him days later. Even if he struck some sort of deal, I just don't think any murder plea would be sweet enough that he wouldn't be a risk.

That would be dangerous.

So maybe Alex did to this himself after all?

Even with that logic, I can't still help but feel this is still 50/50 in that regard.
I think he did it by himself. Maggie had a check bounce she wrote for a charity. She asks for a forensic audit of her finances which leads me to think she had money of her own perhaps from parents or grandparents. Suddenly she has none and wants to know where it all went. Of course we know Alex's propensity for ripping people off so the obvious first choice of a victim would be his own wife and any money she had as a separate asset from her family. An audit of her finances would bring the whole thing tumbling down on his head.

One question I have. Obviously and it has been stated that PM was working at his uncle's. He eats dinner there then leaves for Moselle. Maggie was hesitant to go to Moselle and talk to Alex. Did she ask PM to meet her there?

Another huge question is why was PM recording them talking with his phone? Most kids don't record their parents conversations. Too boring for them. Was PM trying to collect evidence Maggie could use against Alex at Maggie's request? Did she ask him to come to Moselle for protection and ask him to record any conversations she had with Alex?

From where PM was found half in and half out of the dog kennels was he hid there specifically to record Maggie and Alex's conversation?

I think Alex tried to talk Maggie out of that financial audit and when she wouldn't agree he grabbed that shotgun. PM jumped between them and Alex self admittedly an opioid addict would have had slower reflexes and once he began pulling that would not have been able to stop if PM jumped between them. When Maggie saw that, she was stunned then took off running because she knew Alex was out of control. Alex picks up a second gun which reasonably could have been stored in the hunting dog kennels, since we know at least one of the guns belonged to the Murdaughs and shoots her in the back then finishes her off with a shot to the head.

I do not believe any forensic scientist or doctor or coroner can determine TOD down to the very second or even minutes. In fact I think they could not establish TOD within a 20 minute time frame. They would have to physically see them die to do that then look at their watch to establish TOD down to the minute.

It only takes a couple minutes to kill two people with a gun.

Speculation, My theory, MOO.

How Is Time of Death Determined for a Crime-Scene Victim? Hint: It Usually Involves Bugs

For that formula to work best, a freshly discovered body’s temperature is taken rectally. For the first several hours after one’s heart has stopped beating, the body’s core temperature drops towards ambient temperature (i.e. room temperature, if indoors). The formula approximates that the body loses 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit per hour, so the rectal temperature is subtracted from the normal body temperature of 98 degrees. The difference between the two is divided by 1.5, and that final number is used to approximate the time since death.
My temp is on a daily basis 97.7 sometimes dipping to 97.4 or lower to 96.8 some days. I have to take my temp both morning and night so it stays pretty constantly in that range. Many people's temps do that. So my TOD could be off an hour by that formula. (Lol I figured it.)

So if Maggie or Paul had "Cold hands" (My mom used to call people with lower body temps that) TOD for MM or PM could be skewered.

JMO

@RAISINISBACK -are we sure that PM was recording his parents? I may well be wrong, but I thought that there might be a photo with Alex in the background, taken by PM that night. (Important because he wasn't there until after the murders, according to his account)
I'm guessing Snapchat photos with location data will indicate where PM was that evening.

@RAISINISBACK -are we sure that PM was recording his parents? I may well be wrong, but I thought that there might be a photo with Alex in the background, taken by PM that night. (Important because he wasn't there until after the murders, according to his account)

According to the Murdaugh Murders Podcast episode #48, Paul did take a video that caught both of his parents talking, but it was not clarified if they were in the foreground or the background. Transcribed below by me.

Video found on Paul Murdaugh’s now-unlocked phone shows Alex and Maggie apparently talking near the dog kennels on the evening of June 7, 2021 according to multiple sources. This is an important piece of information because Alex had told investigators he had not gone near the kennels at or around the time law enforcement believes Maggie and Paul were murdered according to several sources. In fact, he had said that he had not seen Maggie and Paul before leaving for Varnville that evening according to a report in the Wall Street Journal[.]

Last edited:
I could be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am, but I believe Fitsnews said there was video evidence on PM's phone of MM and AM talking (in a conversation with each other) near the kennels shortly before 9pm that night. To me video means recording not photos. That video evidence was said to be recovered from PM's phone by SLED. Of course I could have read it wrong.

If I am wrong, please correct me as I sometimes have memory problems and am notoriously fatigued due to heart problems so I don't sometimes have the energy to look up links. Many posters on here help me with that out of sheer kindness. Thank you to all of them. I love them all.

JMO

According to the Murdaugh Murders Podcast episode #48, Paul did take a video that caught both of his parents talking, but it was not clarified if they were in the foreground or the background. Transcribed below by me.
BBM
According to the Murdaugh Murders Podcast episode #48, Paul did take a video that caught both of his parents talking,

Video found on Paul Murdaugh’s now-unlocked phone shows Alex and Maggie apparently talking near the dog kennels on the evening of June 7, 2021 according to multiple sources.

Ahhh a fellow CPA. We are a dying breed since online filing by people doing their own taxes. lol

Yes I was pretty certain Fits said a video of MM and PM having a conversation by the kennels that night before he supposedly left for Varnville. I took that to mean a recording. Strange that PM would record his parents conversation unless as I stated that MM asked him to record it as evidence in what has been rumored divorce proceedings. JG claims there was no visit to an attorney by MM but I have a feeling that SLED has the attorneys name and what she discussed along with said attorneys recommendations to her on how to proceed and that attorney's name if in fact she consulted with one.

Thank you so much for helping me out.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads