SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to numerous Podcasts and read a lot of the FitNews articles, can anyone tell me if they tested <modsnip> hands for GSR? Or any other family members? I don't recall hearing that, but it sure would be interesting to know.

MOO

I wondered this too but wasn’t there a report about him hunting or otherwise shooting that afternoon?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he killed Maggie himself. I don’t think the accomplice was there to kill anybody. Just my guess.
Agreed he killed MM, but just curious, you don't think he didn't want Paul and his $$$$ upcoming criminal and civil trials out of the picture as well? If PM was there on house arrest, AM surely knew he would be in the vicinity.

I wondered this too but wasn’t there a report about him hunting or otherwise shooting that afternoon?
Yes, IIRC there were reports that when AM called RMIV, that brother was out "shooting with the dogs" so was not near his phone. After multiple failed attempts to reach RMIV, AM called RMIV's wife's phone and by that time RMIV had returned and could take that call.

I also seem to recall that there was some confusion about whether those early reports were that he was out shooting with the dogs or was just out with the dogs.

Agreed he killed MM, but just curious, you don't think he didn't want Paul and his $$$$ upcoming criminal and civil trials out of the picture as well? If PM was there on house arrest, AM surely knew he would be in the vicinity.

Paul was not on house arrest. Bland misspoke on that. Paul was mostly staying in Okatie with John Marvin. It was a more stable environment and close to the Kubota dealership where he was working that summer (about 10 min as opposed to an hour from Moselle).
Honestly, I think Paul would’ve likely gotten off on the boat crash charges. I don’t think they could prove he was driving; there would be reasonable doubt. Alex was used to their privilege and connections working in their favor—I’m not convinced this was enough for Alex to want his son dead. However, the subpoena for his financial records to PSB, a potential divorce and forensic audit, in my opinion, was enough to want rid if his wife. MOO

Paul was not on house arrest. Bland misspoke on that. Paul was mostly staying in Okatie with John Marvin. It was a more stable environment and close to the Kubota dealership where he was working that summer (about 10 min as opposed to an hour from Moselle).
Honestly, I think Paul would’ve likely gotten off on the boat crash charges. I don’t think they could prove he was driving; there would be reasonable doubt. Alex was used to their privilege and connections working in their favor—I’m not convinced this was enough for Alex to want his son dead. However, the subpoena for his financial records to PSB, a potential divorce and forensic audit, in my opinion, was enough to want rid if his wife. MOO
....Even if Paul was on house arrest (which was clarified above), do we actually think he would obey or not find a way around such "rules"... ha

1) Re: splatter v. spatter — the FBI fellow does talk about the spatter being as fine as hairspray on a mirror.

2) If the FBI podcast guest is correct and a husband was to usher his wife into a kill zone for an accomplice hiding somewhere, might it be that if a husband had a lot of deep LE connections, he might be able to pay enough / bribe / blackmail / call in a favor with an unscrupulous trained shooter to do the deed? I know a cousin has also been suggested but the FBI fellow felt the shooter was trained for humans (i.e., torso then head).

[Correct me if wrong, but in hunting you go for largest target — the body — and don't necessarily take a shot to head — also don’t need to be as good a marksman with body for target.]

MOO. MOO. All above, only my meanderings.

Whether or not he was actually shooting that afternoon, I always thought that was part of his planning — covering his tracks — so he had an explanation for any GSR. MOO.

Last edited:
Could Paul be on house arrest and still work at Uncle John’s Kubota store? And/ or eat dinner with him?

If PM was on house arrest how come there were all these sightings of him partying in Columbia and Charleston? Remember his charge card failed at a bar in Charleston right before his death.

I think the house arrest was someone misspeaking.

EDIT: yes, Eric Bland misspoke on this point in the Shrimp podcast. Thank you, Merry, for confirming.

MOO.

Last edited:
Murdaugh’s Insurance Company In Satterfield Case Tells Feds: He Won’t Cooperate, So We Can’t Cooperate

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/04/29...-feds-he-wont-cooperate-so-we-cant-cooperate/

According to the complaint, Nautilus provided Murdaugh with a $5 million policy for “umbrella coverage,” which provided extra coverage for Murdaugh beyond the limits of his other policies.

Murdaugh made a claim under the policy “with regard to claims against him purportedly on behalf of the estate of Ms. Satterfield.”

Nautilus, according to the complaint, paid “in excess” of $75,000 for defense counsel to represent Murdaugh in the claim.

Then Nautilus started to find out about the “irregularities” in the case, along with the rest of the world in July.

“The irregularities suggested Murdaugh and others coordinated efforts to improperly obtain insurance money, leading the United States to investigate financial irregularities and serving a subpoena on Nautilus on February 8, 2022, for Nautilus’ files, including files over which Murdaugh may have claims of privilege (the files of the firm that defended Murdaugh in the Satterfield claims, Murphy & Grantland).”

Nautilus provided some documents to the federal grand jury, including notes and communications with counsel, the complaint says.

But when it asked Murdaugh’s attorneys in the case — from the Murphy and Grantland firm in Columbia — to advise them on whether Murdaugh was going to claim attorney-client privilege and prevent the release of other documents, they learned this was, in fact, going to be the case.

Continued

“Nautilus asked Murdaugh’s counsel for a privilege log, and no such log has been produced.”

Because Murdaugh’s “invocation of privilege has constrained Nautilus’ ability to respond to the subpoena,” Nautilus filed the complaint asking for resolution from the court.

Nautilus is also asking the court to “declare the rights and obligations of Murdaugh and Nautilus.”

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/04/29...-feds-he-wont-cooperate-so-we-cant-cooperate/

Attached to the complaint are emails from Charleston attorney Drew Epting of Epting and Rannik to Murdaugh’s “bulldog” attorneys Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin.

On Jan. 12 — weeks before the federal subpoena was served on Nautilus — Epting wrote this to Harpootlian (Note: Any typos and punctuation errors in the emails below are that of the authors and not this reporter):

Dear Dick,

First of all, congratulations to you and your wife on the ambassadorship to Slovenia. What a beauty country and a rich culture. On more mundane matters, the U.S. Attorney’s office wants the file that you authorized be released to the Office of Disciplinary Counsel. I have inquired several times about it and ask that your client, Mr. Murdaugh, waive whatever, if any, privilege he may have in the materials previously provided to you. I am wearing out the patience of the U.S. Attorney’s office with my continued refrain of ‘I do not think producing the file will be a problem.’”

The next day, Harpootlian wrote back: “Let me check with Jim.”

About an hour later, Griffin wrote:

Drew

We cannot consent on behalf of Alex waive any privilege he may have pertaining to these files so that they can be used in a criminal investigation against him.

Epting responded: “Understood, and will advise USA. Will you prepare a log as many of these documents do not contain privileged material?”

Thus ends the communications included in the exhibit.

Funeral Home Tied To Alex Murdaugh Hands Over Documents To Lawyers

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/04/29...lex-murdaugh-hands-over-documents-to-lawyers/

On Jan. 27, the attorneys who were appointed by the court to comb through Murdaugh’s finances sent a subpoena to Martin asking for “any and all documents in your possession regarding the transaction referenced … including, but not limited to, any correspondence, text messages or emails.”

Martin did not respond to the subpoena nor did he respond to a follow-up letter sent on March 18, which gave him an additional 10 days to respond before a motion would be filed with the court.

On Tuesday afternoon, attorneys Amy L.B. Hill and Jordan M. Crapps of Gallivan, White and Boyd — the law firm of co-receiver John T. Lay — filed a motion to compel Martin to provide the records requested.

<<Court asked to approve sale of the Murdaughs’ Edisto beach home for $955,000, documents say
The Murdaughs’ Edisto beach home is set to sell for $955,000 cash — $35,000 above asking price — pending a judge’s approval, according to documents filed in a Hampton County court....>>
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article260898247.html

Palmetto State Bank's Murdaugh ties draw scrutiny from grand jury probes, regulators

Palmetto State Bank's Murdaugh ties draw scrutiny from grand jury probes, regulators

Palmetto State Bank, a family-run institution that spent the past century crafting a sterling reputation in the southern tip of South Carolina, now faces a barrage of scrutiny as state and federal investigators dig into the alleged crimes of disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh.

Funeral Home Tied To Alex Murdaugh Hands Over Documents To Lawyers

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/04/29...lex-murdaugh-hands-over-documents-to-lawyers/

On Jan. 27, the attorneys who were appointed by the court to comb through Murdaugh’s finances sent a subpoena to Martin asking for “any and all documents in your possession regarding the transaction referenced … including, but not limited to, any correspondence, text messages or emails.”

Martin did not respond to the subpoena nor did he respond to a follow-up letter sent on March 18, which gave him an additional 10 days to respond before a motion would be filed with the court.

On Tuesday afternoon, attorneys Amy L.B. Hill and Jordan M. Crapps of Gallivan, White and Boyd — the law firm of co-receiver John T. Lay — filed a motion to compel Martin to provide the records requested.

This is like an episode from "Ozark". By any chance, does this funeral home have access to a crematorium? Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

This has since been clarified, but FITS has yet to issue a retraction. Murdaugh was not running a funeral home a la Marty Byrd.

Murdaugh connection & money wires to funeral home director under scrutiny

However, FITSNews never wrote that Murdaugh “owned” Martin’s Funeral Home. Rather, we reported that Murdaugh had purchased the Brunswick funeral home “on behalf” of Martin, which is what occurred, according to the motion to compel and Mr. Martin‘s email to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, FITSNews never wrote that Murdaugh “owned” Martin’s Funeral Home. Rather, we reported that Murdaugh had purchased the Brunswick funeral home “on behalf” of Martin, which is what occurred, according to the motion to compel and Mr. Martin‘s email to us.

I know they’re splitting hairs with semantics after the facts came out and Ms. Martin took issue with their reporting; however, the original article strongly implied Alex bought the funeral home for nefarious purposes.

But a funeral home is an interesting choice for a personal injury attorney — particularly one who has been sitting in jail since October 2021 and is facing 75 charges for stealing more than $9 million from clients.
One source with knowledge of the purchase speculated that Murdaugh might have been trying to drum up more wrongful death cases for himself and told FITSNews that an idea like that would be “ingenious on a criminal level.”

Typical of tabloids…”we said it, but we didn’t really say it…” I’m not looking to argue, but just respectfully pointing out a lot of their reporting needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Consult other sources, listen to other podcasts, use your own critical thinking skills, and make your own interpretation of the facts. MOO

Original article: https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/04/27...or-a-funeral-home-in-2020-that-seems-unusual/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz