SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused by OP's post so please bear with me.

Assuming DH represents defense attorney Dick Harpootlian and JG, Jim Griffin.

Since AM is the only defendant charged here with murdering MM, his wife, and PM, his son, who else is a client of these two defense attorneys that OP believes poses a conflict of interest?

And what cause of action survived the client's death?

Nonetheless, IMO, if there was a conflict between a client that's since deceased, the lawyers would never have agreed to represent AM charged only weeks ago for the murder of MM and PM.
This question was asked and explained in one of the Mandy Matney (Fitsnews) podcasts. Bear with me because I am not as eloquent as most.
DH and JG were representing PM in the boast crash. IF, (big IF) PM shared with his lawyers that his dad (AM) knew he was using his brother's (BM) fake ID to buy alcohol, and (basically) condoned his underage drinking, then that would be a (lame) defense for PM, putting blame on his dad (AM) or at least implicating him. So, if AM killed their client (PM) after possibly being implicated in the boat crash, that could possibly pose a conflict of interest. There are multiple steps/questions to ask in regards to proving a conflict of interest. They went over them in the podcast. I highly recommend listening to it. I believe it was the one on July 20th.

I'm confused by OP's post so please bear with me.

Assuming DH represents defense attorney Dick Harpootlian and JG, Jim Griffin.

Since AM is the only defendant charged here with murdering MM, his wife, and PM, his son, who else is a client of these two defense attorneys that OP believes poses a conflict of interest?

And what cause of action survived the client's death?

Nonetheless, IMO, if there was a conflict between a client that's since deceased, the lawyers would never have agreed to represent AM charged only weeks ago for the murder of MM and PM.
Yes, my thought was, Dick & Jim were in the midst of a case representing Paul. They were even coming up on a hearing for his boating-while-intoxicated case in a few days.

Paul, their client, gets murdered, and now they are representing Alex, the man accused of committing the murder. They are defending the man who allegedly killed their client — just seems strange to me.

I guess once Paul died and his case dismissed, they are free to take the murder case?

ADDED: also see @FlamingoLady #784, just above.

Last edited:
Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case …

Hakeem Pinckney died Oct. 11, 2011, of cardiac arrest, which — according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the nursing home in 2014 — occurred after his ventilator had become unplugged for more than 30 minutes before someone noticed.

His death came just four days after a multimillion-dollar settlement had been reached in his case.

In the aftermath of Hakeem’s passing, Murdaugh and Laffitte appear to have fraudulently represented Hakeem as alive to at least one insurance company.

They also seem to have determined on their own — outside the purview of the court and state law — who would receive Hakeem’s fortune. The part that wasn’t allegedly stolen, anyway.

Then the two embarked on what would become a three-year caper to cover their alleged tracks.

Their main objective seems to have been to keep Hakeem’s father, Melverick Edwards, far from Hakeem’s estate — and therefore nowhere near discovering their alleged crimes.

Documents obtained by FITSNews show that, in doing so, these two men created, in the plainest of terms, an unconscionable mess.

Hakeem Pinckney becomes a resident at PruittHealth in North Augusta — about two hours from his family in Hampton County.

NOTE: This means Hakeem is no longer a resident of Hampton County. Later Murdaugh and Laffitte will let the court believe that he is — presumably so they can conduct their business through the Hampton County Probate Court, where both men were well known.

The forms get filed in Hampton County Probate Court on June 2, 2010, even though Hakeem is now a resident of Aiken County.

State law dictates that the venue for guardianship proceedings is “in the place where the alleged incapacitated individual or ward resides or is present.”

NOTE: The decision to open Hakeem’s estate in Hampton County is a significant one because of Alex Murdaugh’s relationship with the court, which seems to have granted him broad access and unusual leeway in his cases. This unique access is seen a significant contributing factor in his ability to conduct his alleged scheme.

Also on this date, a “Consent to Appointment of Conservator” document is signed by Hakeem Pinckney with an “X.” Pamela Pinckney and a relative named Carrie B. Pinckney attest to witnessing Hakeem sign the consent document “freely and willingly.”

Though no notary stamp appears on the page, Alex Murdaugh appears to have signed the document as the notary, saying his commission expires Aug. 3, 2016.
I sure would be interested in knowing who visited Hakeem (I.e., counsel? “friends”?) or who was in his room (I.e., housekeeping? nursing aids?) the day his ventilator was unplugged.

Wonder if there is a log / record and/or is this under investigation?

Yes, my thought was, Dick & Jim were in the midst of a case representing Paul. They were even coming up on a hearing for his boating while intoxicated case in a few days.

Paul, their client, gets murdered, and now they are representing Alex, the man accused of committing the murder. They are defending the man who allegedly killed their client — just seems strange to me.

I guess once Paul died and his case dismissed, they are free to take the murder case?
I think what would push it into more than questionable is if PM implicated AM in the boat crash case, IMO.

Here's the thing about the unplugged ventilator. They have alarms INCLUDING back up battery powered alarms which cannot be silenced unless / until the vent has electrical.power restored.
Someone with knowledge would have to go through the ventilator shut down sequence to truly silence the alarm permanently. OR a rubber 'lung' placed on the tubing to mimic (to the sensors and feedback mechanisms) the patient still being connected.
This was no accidental disconnection.

Here's the thing about the unplugged ventilator. They have alarms INCLUDING back up battery powered alarms which cannot be silenced unless / until the vent has electrical.power restored.
Someone with knowledge would have to go through the ventilator shut down sequence to truly silence the alarm permanently. OR a rubber 'lung' placed on the tubing to mimic (to the sensors and feedback mechanisms) the patient still being connected.
This was no accidental disconnection.

Thank you for that information!
Anytime I have been in a hospital, visiting or otherwise, it always seemed essential monitors and equipment had alarms so I could not understand how his unhooked ventilator went undetected. You’ve explained very well that it couldn’t have without some help.

I absolutely agree.

Put yourself in his place for a second people.

According to his story, he left Moselle, and even if he did see MM and PM before he left, he went to visit his mother, came home less than an hour later to find them both brutally murdered at 10 pm on an extra dark, rainy 1700 acres of land with numerous outbuildings and sheds. Now would any of you stand out in the open to make that phone call knowing you have been gone (according to his story) less than an hour?

Not me, no way. I would have been looking over both shoulders while I beat a fast track back to my car, praying the killer didn't shoot me in the back. Then I would have locked all the doors and stayed on that line with 911 while praying the killer didn't shoot me through the windows of my car. Or drove down the road away from the crime scene. Or drove to the police station in town. lol

But no way, after finding 2 of my family members brutally murdered am I standing out in the open, in the dark and bravely making a phone call to 911, then calmly making another to my family.

That would be like facing Freddy Kruger who has a running chainsaw, and calmy stating "Hang on a minute Freddy, I need to call my brother."

Nobody is that brave, or stupid, unless you are the killer.

JMO
(Text emphasized in red by me.)

Or one of them.

There are multiple individuals who potentially benefitted from PM's death and from MM's death.

With the death of PM, the criminal prosecution related to the boating incident was ended, including release of any evidence or future orders or findings that might potentially improve the plaintiff's position in the civil litigation against those defendants that had not yet settled. And for those that had settled, the end of the criminal prosecution may have prevented release of any evidence or orders or findings that might conflict with representations that had been made in those settlements.

The death of MM ended the financial audit of AM and MM's finances, including inquiries related to AM's work with the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office and his work with the family law firm (incl. theft from client settlements), so release of information was back in the control of the parties concerned.

It would be foolish not to consider those motivations while following the evidence and considering the potentialities. And the fact that the murder of MM ended the financial audit which would necessarily have included investigation into AM's work (voluntary - are we still buying that?) with the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office should have made it clear to investigators that anyone associated with that office should have been kept at a long distance from the investigation.

(Edited to separate paragraphs to ease reading.)

Last edited:
Was the coroner who put down the time of death actually on the scene before the bodies were removed or did he rely on AM's account of what transpired? Can the time of death on an official first account ever be changed legally?
IMO, from following homicide cases, time of death is a big guess. Then witness, statements, electronic data, other known facts are used to narrow down the time of death. I believe the time of death in this case is based on AM's call to 911 and his statements. But it appears his statements were a lie. So what gives? Has the time of death been changed already and we don't know yet? Or will it be?

It will be interesting whether or not the prosecution will present a second opinion on the decedents time of death. From what's been reported about the county and AM's influence, I don't think this a bad idea. JMO

June 7, 2021: Alex Murdaugh discovers the bodies of his son Paul and wife Maggie at their 1,770-acre hunting lodge on Moselle Road in Islandton, Colleton County. A 911 call is placed at 10:07 p.m.

[..]

The Colleton County Sheriff's Office responds and secures the scene. South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division is contacted at 10:28 p.m. to assist. SLED agents arrive at 11:47 p.m.

June 8, 2021: Authorities confirm the identities of the deceased, referring to the incident as a double homicide. However, they say there is no threat to the public.

June 11, 2021: A graveside service is held at Hampton Cemetery for both Paul and Maggie Murdaugh.

June 14, 2021: The Colleton County Coroner confirms both Paul and Maggie Murdaugh died from multiple gunshot wounds. The estimated time of death is somewhere between 9 and 9:30 p.m.

Thank you for this @MerryB

So Maggie did consulted a divorce attorney and was looking forward to “life without Alex."

Definitely her divorce lawyer “surely would discover [Alex’s] crimes while digging...

She separated from Alex in Feb 2021.

Alex would not tell her what hospital his father was at and insisted she meet him first at Moselle.

“According to a law enforcement source...Alex had one of his AR style rifles at the ready.

Alex didn’t know Paul would be there, checking on a dog he was boarding for a friend.

As Paul took a video of the friend’s dog, he could hear a tense argument between his parents outside. Police found audio of the fighting captured in a video on Paul’s phone, which was discovered under his body.

Blood spatter matching Maggie’s DNA was found on Alex’s laundered shirt.
He is really not very bright, imoo. Who but Alex doesn't know that laundering a shirt won't get rid of blood spatter?

I absolutely agree.

Put yourself in his place for a second people.

According to his story, he left Moselle, and even if he did see MM and PM before he left, he went to visit his mother, came home less than an hour later to find them both brutally murdered at 10 pm on an extra dark, rainy 1700 acres of land with numerous outbuildings and sheds. Now would any of you stand out in the open to make that phone call knowing you have been gone (according to his story) less than an hour?

Not me, no way. I would have been looking over both shoulders while I beat a fast track back to my car, praying the killer didn't shoot me in the back. Then I would have locked all the doors and stayed on that line with 911 while praying the killer didn't shoot me through the windows of my car. Or drove down the road away from the crime scene. Or drove to the police station in town. lol

But no way, after finding 2 of my family members brutally murdered am I standing out in the open, in the dark and bravely making a phone call to 911, then calmly making another to my family.

That would be like facing Freddy Kruger who has a running chainsaw, and calmy stating "Hang on a minute Freddy, I need to call my brother."

Nobody is that brave, or stupid, unless you are the killer.

JMO

When we talked about this at the time, I took it that with AMs connections to LE and living in a rural area, that he himself was armed and perhaps had some sense of security. Of course a handgun wouldn’t be much help against someone hidden with a rifle.

Former banker, Murdaugh associate Russell Laffitte given $500K bond in federal fraud case

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Former Palmetto State Bank CEO Russell Laffitte – an associate of Alex Murdaugh – was given a $500,000 bond during a Wednesday morning arraignment in Charleston, of which he must pay $25,000.

Laffitte would not comment on the case to News 2 while leaving court on Wednesday.

Former banker, Murdaugh associate Russell Laffitte given $500K bond in federal fraud case

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) – Former Palmetto State Bank CEO Russell Laffitte – an associate of Alex Murdaugh – was given a $500,000 bond during a Wednesday morning arraignment in Charleston, of which he must pay $25,000.

Laffitte would not comment on the case to News 2 while leaving court on Wednesday.
You gotta wonder where he borrowed that $25K. :rolleyes:

The amount of people, involved to some degree or another, who helped AM pull of these egregious acts of fraud is mind-blowing. From lawyers, bank presidents, coroners, local le, judges, politicians, etc. I truly wonder how far up the chain this goes or if it will ever all come to light? I wonder if AM is on suicide watch?

MOO
AM already knows his fate. It’s all the others who should be on suicide watch!

I think he would fit the definition. But instead of the usual motivators, he seems motivated only by greed??
I agree. He does appear to be motivated by financial gain. Other obvious signs he displays, in my opinion, are impaired or absent sense of guilt, remorse, or compassion. I wouldn’t say he enjoys killing, but does so to gain or protect his social and financial standing. This is my opinion only. I realize it may be shocking to some, but It may , in the end, fit his actions and deeds once they are all realized and known.

I agree. He does appear to be motivated by financial gain. Other obvious signs he displays, in my opinion, are impaired or absent sense of guilt, remorse, or compassion. I wouldn’t say he enjoys killing, but does so to gain or protect his social and financial standing. This is my opinion only. I realize it may be shocking to some, but It may , in the end, fit his actions and deeds once they are all realized and known.

I’ve known a few ppl throughout my life that have lived beyond their means and you have ended up paying for it one way or the other. Never anyone that left dead ppl behind or stole. They just lost cars, homes, spouses.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member