SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Laffitte signs disbursement sheets at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick and receives two checks: one for $309,581.46 from the Estate of Hakeem Pinckney and $325,000 from Natasha Thomas’ client trust account. The money was intended for their conservator accounts but was never deposited, according to indictments.

According to the July 20, 2022, federal indictment of Russell Laffitte, Laffitte “distributed the funds” at Murdaugh’s direction, as follows:

$10,000 deposit was made to Maggie Murdaugh’s account.
$9,500 money order.
$920.29 principal payment to a loan on Alex Murdaugh’s boat.
$3,137.30 interest payment to a loan on Alex Murdaugh’s boat.
$100,000 money order to Laffitte’s father, Charlie Laffitte, to “pay off a personal loan.
$50,135.61 money order to repay loans from the conservatorship account of Hannah Plyler.
$91,220.57 money order to repay loans from the conservatorship account of Hannah Plyler.
$329,500 money order to Murdaugh’s father, Randolph Murdaugh III
$40,167.69 money order to “repay loans Russell Lucius Laffitte extended as conservator for M.W.”

NOTE: “M.W.” refers to Malik Williams. Laffitte served as conservator to Williams, who was a client of Paul Detrick, a partner at Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick in a 2004 case. According to the indictment, Laffitte gave himself a loan from Malik’s account. The details of Malik’s case are not known. Laffitte was also the conservator to two young sisters, Hannah and Alania Plyler, whose mother and brother were killed in a 2005 crash on Interstate 95 in Hampton County. Both girls were injured in the crash. Murdaugh served as their attorney. Earlier this year, it became clear that Laffitte had secretly loaned himself and Murdaugh money at below-market interest rates from Hannah Plyler’s account, which he managed. According to the July 20, 2022, federal indictment, beginning on July 18, 2011, Laffitte took eight unsecured loans from Hannah’s account, totaling $355,000. Beginning Sept. 14, 2011, Laffitte allowed Murdaugh to take 14 unsecured loans from Hannah’s account, totaling $990,000.
Wowzer!!!
These 2 thieves just kept taking and taking for themselves.
Unbelievable and Scary that nobody else was even aware of all of this going on within the law firm and the bank.

Of course, AM, being a Murdaugh, would not be questioned and pretty sure his word WAS LAW down there in ole boys' country so there's that.

"Unplugged" ventilator.. huh huh... hmmmm

Seems like any injury, accident and/or death, these 2 had their hands in it for the Insurance money and then just helped themselves to it.

Makes me want to ask his former law firm if they all have their heads up their.. er... heads buried in the sand to not oversee some of these accounts that came into their firm.

I fear we will find out there are many more families of deceased people or lawsuits involving accidents that these 2 have stolen from also.

Unbelievable !!!

Anatomy Of An Alleged Conspiracy: How Russell Laffitte And Alex Murdaugh Handled The Pinckney Case …

Hakeem Pinckney died Oct. 11, 2011, of cardiac arrest, which — according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the nursing home in 2014 — occurred after his ventilator had become unplugged for more than 30 minutes before someone noticed.

His death came just four days after a multimillion-dollar settlement had been reached in his case.

In the aftermath of Hakeem’s passing, Murdaugh and Laffitte appear to have fraudulently represented Hakeem as alive to at least one insurance company.

They also seem to have determined on their own — outside the purview of the court and state law — who would receive Hakeem’s fortune. The part that wasn’t allegedly stolen, anyway.

Then the two embarked on what would become a three-year caper to cover their alleged tracks.

Their main objective seems to have been to keep Hakeem’s father, Melverick Edwards, far from Hakeem’s estate — and therefore nowhere near discovering their alleged crimes.

Documents obtained by FITSNews show that, in doing so, these two men created, in the plainest of terms, an unconscionable mess.

Hakeem Pinckney becomes a resident at PruittHealth in North Augusta — about two hours from his family in Hampton County.

NOTE: This means Hakeem is no longer a resident of Hampton County. Later Murdaugh and Laffitte will let the court believe that he is — presumably so they can conduct their business through the Hampton County Probate Court, where both men were well known.

The forms get filed in Hampton County Probate Court on June 2, 2010, even though Hakeem is now a resident of Aiken County.

State law dictates that the venue for guardianship proceedings is “in the place where the alleged incapacitated individual or ward resides or is present.”

NOTE: The decision to open Hakeem’s estate in Hampton County is a significant one because of Alex Murdaugh’s relationship with the court, which seems to have granted him broad access and unusual leeway in his cases. This unique access is seen a significant contributing factor in his ability to conduct his alleged scheme.

Also on this date, a “Consent to Appointment of Conservator” document is signed by Hakeem Pinckney with an “X.” Pamela Pinckney and a relative named Carrie B. Pinckney attest to witnessing Hakeem sign the consent document “freely and willingly.”

Though no notary stamp appears on the page, Alex Murdaugh appears to have signed the document as the notary, saying his commission expires Aug. 3, 2016.
I’m totally blown away by the timing and circumstances of Hakeem Pinckney’s death. No words just horrifying thoughts. JMO and speculation.

Last edited:
Have we ever read or heard that this death is under investigation? Does family have counsel?

You are right, if the alarm was sounding someone(s) was ignoring it or someone used that “rubber lung” tRick. Certainly there are records of who was working that shift, and someone must know if Hakeem had visitors around that time. Most rehab/nursing homes I’ve been to you have to sign in and out, even family.

I don't know if others recall the 2009 accident or 2011 death of Hakeem Pinckney but it seems to me that some of the details being reported today about Hakeem Pinckney's 2011 death have changed since AM indictments started hitting the news, and new plaintiff lawyers started circling the victims.

To be clear, I think it's undisputed that AM and his entourage stole hundreds of thousands of dollars here but I'm being cautious about allegations currently being reported that are probably selling more online news subscriptions, and more obviously, fueling murder conspiracies.

For example, I don't know if AM dragged his feet with the tire mfg lawsuit (i.e., 2009 car crash injuring Pickney, his mom, sister, and cousin), or if AM et., al. began stealing settlement proceeds intended for HP very early but I know locals long understood that it was the victim's lack of and/or delayed funds that contributed to Hakeem Pinckney being placed in a less than average quality long-term care facility, located in North Augusta, SC where his ventilator went offline and detection delayed, contributing to his 2011 death.

While patient equipment can fail for numerous reasons and/or equipment alarms ignored, I'm suspicious of why it's now being reported that the ventilator was allegedly unplugged. Granted, unplugged sounds more sinister.

As for the financial fraud committed against the victim HP, IMO, since other family members including mom, sister, and cousin injured in the car crash were each receiving monthly settlement payments, I think the fraudster defendants used this payment system to distract all from detecting that payments intended for HP's care never happened and/or were being withheld.

However, if you listen to quotes attributed to plaintiff Attorney Bamberg, you'd think none of the victims in the car crash ever received a dime from the accident settlement. Need I say, I'm not impressed with this reporting!

Reportedly, another member from the Murdaugh firm (Lee Cope) handled the 2014 wrongful death lawsuit against the PruittHealth North Augusta, SC long-term care facility by the estate of HP.

Lastly, IMO, in a structured settlement, HP would have been worth more alive than dead. It doesn't follow that the fraudsters would kill off the source of their golden eggs.

MOO

Murdaugh initially represented Alania and Hannah Plyler in a 2005 car wreck on Interstate 95 in Hampton County that killed their mother and brother. Both girls — at the time 9 and 12 — were injured in the crash as well.

Laffitte became conservator for the girls in November 2006 — though the girls lived in Lexington County at the time and had no previous connections to Laffitte.

According to the federal indictment, starting in July 2011, Laffitte gave himself a total of eight loans from Hannah Plyler’s account. Starting in September 2011, he gave Murdaugh a total of 14 loans from the same account. The loans were given without the knowledge of Hannah or the approval of the probate court.

Alania Plyler-Spohn, now a deputy with the Lexington County Sheriff’s Office, attended the hearing Wednesday with her husband and stood in front of Judge Cherry while Bland and Richter gave a victim’s statement on her behalf.

Bland told the court that Laffitte had racked up hundreds of overdraft charges on the girls’ accounts and gave himself a 5% “conservator’s fee” each year.

Laffitte was giving himself and Murdaugh “below market interest rates of 2.25%,” Bland said, yet when Laffitte took out litigation loans on Alania’s behalf from his family’s bank he had no problem charging her a 20 percent interest rate.

While Bland and Richter spoke, Laffitte hung his head. He avoided looking at Plyler-Spohn as she walked past his table.

(Text emphasized in red by me.)

Or one of them.

There are multiple individuals who potentially benefitted from PM's death and from MM's death.

With the death of PM, the criminal prosecution related to the boating incident was ended, including release of any evidence or future orders or findings that might potentially improve the plaintiff's position in the civil litigation against those defendants that had not yet settled. And for those that had settled, the end of the criminal prosecution may have prevented release of any evidence or orders or findings that might conflict with representations that had been made in those settlements.

The death of MM ended the financial audit of AM and MM's finances, including inquiries related to AM's work with the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office and his work with the family law firm (incl. theft from client settlements), so release of information was back in the control of the parties concerned.

It would be foolish not to consider those motivations while following the evidence and considering the potentialities. And the fact that the murder of MM ended the financial audit which would necessarily have included investigation into AM's work (voluntary - are we still buying that?) with the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office should have made it clear to investigators that anyone associated with that office should have been kept at a long distance from the investigation.

(Edited to separate paragraphs to ease reading.)
BBM
Yes, ITA! This is why I have been saying PM was not an 'accident' from the beginning. As gruesome as it is to think a father would murder a son and wife, I truly believe that was the intention all along. The criminal case against PM died with him.

MOO

These financial crimes, committed by wealthy powerful people, who have had lots of luck in their lives, robbing the poor, and the injured whom they are being paid to help are just disgusting. I never thought I would mind theft as much as murder, but as this sad saga unravels, I'm finding that I am. If these guys are found guilty, I hope they throw the book at them.

BBM
Yes, ITA! This is why I have been saying PM was not an 'accident' from the beginning. As gruesome as it is to think a father would murder a son and wife, I truly believe that was the intention all along. The criminal case against PM died with him.

MOO
emphasis is mine
Agreed.
In AM's ill mind, he was perhaps 'tying up loose ends' ?
Erasing anything that could negatively impact himself ?
He had to know that killing his wife and son could bring the entire house of cards crashing down over his head ?

I'm not understanding his twisted way of thinking at all, but maybe he was in a blind panic about what else could be uncovered ?

Leading back again to the question of what has this man done that would make him think murdering his wife and son would be the better option ?
I'm wondering if he (or his cohorts whomever they may be) has committed outright murder, before the deaths of Maggie and Paul ?
May there be harsh penalties for the perps and prison time for all who participated in the thefts and other possible murders beyond the deaths of Mrs. Murdaugh and her son.
Justice and restitution to everyone who has suffered under AM.
My .02.

Murdaugh initially represented Alania and Hannah Plyler in a 2005 car wreck on Interstate 95 in Hampton County that killed their mother and brother. Both girls — at the time 9 and 12 — were injured in the crash as well.

Laffitte became conservator for the girls in November 2006 — though the girls lived in Lexington County at the time and had no previous connections to Laffitte.

According to the federal indictment, starting in July 2011, Laffitte gave himself a total of eight loans from Hannah Plyler’s account. Starting in September 2011, he gave Murdaugh a total of 14 loans from the same account. The loans were given without the knowledge of Hannah or the approval of the probate court.

Alania Plyler-Spohn, now a deputy with the Lexington County Sheriff’s Office, attended the hearing Wednesday with her husband and stood in front of Judge Cherry while Bland and Richter gave a victim’s statement on her behalf.

Bland told the court that Laffitte had racked up hundreds of overdraft charges on the girls’ accounts and gave himself a 5% “conservator’s fee” each year.

Laffitte was giving himself and Murdaugh “below market interest rates of 2.25%,” Bland said, yet when Laffitte took out litigation loans on Alania’s behalf from his family’s bank he had no problem charging her a 20 percent interest rate.

While Bland and Richter spoke, Laffitte hung his head. He avoided looking at Plyler-Spohn as she walked past his table.

When I pull up this link, I get a sponsored link paid for by Justin Bamberg, one of the plaintiffs lawyers mentioned in the article.

IMHO, this fact makes me question this source.

emphasis is mine
Agreed.
In AM's ill mind, he was perhaps 'tying up loose ends' ?
Erasing anything that could negatively impact himself ?
He had to know that killing his wife and son could bring the entire house of cards crashing down over his head ?

I'm not understanding his twisted way of thinking at all, but maybe he was in a blind panic about what else could be uncovered ?

Leading back again to the question of what has this man done that would make him think murdering his wife and son would be the better option ?
I'm wondering if he (or his cohorts whomever they may be) has committed outright murder, before the deaths of Maggie and Paul ?
May there be harsh penalties for the perps and prison time for all who participated in the thefts and other possible murders beyond the deaths of Mrs. Murdaugh and her son.
Justice and restitution to everyone who has suffered under AM.
My .02.

I’m just thinking he felt he would get away with it like he always got away with things. He would influence the solicitor, manipulate the investigation, wave his Murdaugh magic wand and everything would slant to his favor.

I’m just thinking he felt he would get away with it like he always got away with things. He would influence the solicitor, manipulate the investigation, wave his Murdaugh magic wand and everything would slant to his favor.
Listened to the repeat of 48 hours of the Murdaugh Mysteries and I'm convinced that AM (and the public) would have been better off using his influence and entitlement to sell cars and boats and ice to Eskimos.

IMO, he should have never entered law school. Also, I hope his survivor, BM, finds an occupation he's passionate about and does not succumb to a path the individual is unsuited for. Or else the outcome not likely good. MOO

BBM

MOO
I never thought of the motives from these perspectives. These make total sense. I have theories but I don’t want to put them out r there because I don’t know if anything was published yet or not.

These financial crimes, committed by wealthy powerful people, who have had lots of luck in their lives, robbing the poor, and the injured whom they are being paid to help are just disgusting. I never thought I would mind theft as much as murder, but as this sad saga unravels, I'm finding that I am. If these guys are found guilty, I hope they throw the book at them.
It is pretty disturbing to think about when you break down the financial crimes and really take it all in, imo.

Seton and Matt talk about the People article and different theories of how the murders might have occurred with FBI expert Bobby Chacon:

I didn’t get to the WSJ this week and see the article to which “Impact of Influence” refers.

Anything new in WSJ, anything we haven't heard before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46