SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The investigating authorities need to follow the law. The law DOES specify what the public has a right to know. The podcast made that clear.

The podcast was put together by reporters from the Post and Courier and contains their interpretation of what information should be released by LE. I'd like to see the actual law regarding what needs to be released during an active investigation since we're not even a month past the murders. Since their lawsuit has not been even assigned to a judge at this point, I assume that it will not be heard any time soon.

Except for the 20-30 yard comment from "outside sources", the entire podcast was a regurgitation of things we already know.

It was released that AM was a part-time volunteer at the Solicitor's office, an office that was dominated by Murdaughs for generations. What else would the public need to know ?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/s...oMb0_R330BylBFjn2ekC3VdbcJYokhE#storylink=cpy

I think the public had a right to know the information gleaned in this report. I am at a loss to see why it would impede the murder investigation inany way. As a taxpayer in SC, paying salaries, it’s ‘my business’ so to speak.

And, it’s an unusual situation.

Local Attorney Anthony Dore quote…

“He speculated that son Alex Murdaugh offered to help the office because prosecution has run in his family for so long. Dore said he has never seen a situation like the Murdaughs volunteering and contracting with the current Solicitor’s Office.

“I don’t think there’s anybody in a similar situation as to his family,” he said.

…and this quote from the Solictors spokesman…

‘The agency did not have records of exactly how many cases Alex Murdaugh assisted his father in prosecuting. He is “the only attorney who has served as a prosecutor in a volunteer capacity” between 2006 and 2021, Kidd said.’

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/s...oMb0_R330BylBFjn2ekC3VdbcJYokhE#storylink=cpy

I think the public had a right to know the information gleaned in this report. I am at a loss to see why it would impede the murder investigation inany way. As a taxpayer in SC, paying salaries, it’s ‘my business’ so to speak.

And, it’s an unusual situation.

Local Attorney Anthony Dore quote…

“He speculated that son Alex Murdaugh offered to help the office because prosecution has run in his family for so long. Dore said he has never seen a situation like the Murdaughs volunteering and contracting with the current Solicitor’s Office.

“I don’t think there’s anybody in a similar situation as to his family,” he said.

…and this quote from the Solictors spokesman…

‘The agency did not have records of exactly how many cases Alex Murdaugh assisted his father in prosecuting. He is “the only attorney who has served as a prosecutor in a volunteer capacity” between 2006 and 2021, Kidd said.’

FOIA requests were filed and the information was released. I'm sure the Solicitor's office contacted LE to see if the release would compromise the Murdaugh murder investigation in any way. And I'm also sure that LE is looking at any case AM worked on as a volunteer to see if there's a connection to the murders.

JMO

I’m sorry …we will have to disagree.

I can’t help remembering all the things LE…didn’t do…in regard to the SS investigation…the young man from the trailer park…and compare it with the secrecy and intensity of this investigation.

I’m sorry …we will have to disagree.

I can’t help remembering all the things LE…didn’t do…in regard to the SS investigation…the young man from the trailer park…and compare it with the secrecy and intensity of this investigation.

No problem but I do have to ask you - after 3 1/2 weeks, what do you think LE should have released to the public that we don't already know considering there is no one is custody ?

The details at the crime scene won’t change no matter who the killers are. Why so secretive about how far apart the victims were found? Or whether the guns were found and belong to the lodge? Or how many times each victim was shot? Do we even know from LE what kind of guns were used or is that from ‘sources’ too?

If they can state there is no danger to the general public, then that rules out a burglary, home invasion, or car jacking? Yet, it doesn’t, does it? So statements MADE are problematic to me as well as those not made.

There are also things that could be said that would tamp down rumors and speculation by elimination. If certain things are eliminated from importance, why can’t the general public know?

Did the black car that was towed belong to the family? If not, okay…I can understand protecting that info…but if it’s their car…why can’t they say

Was AM seen on cameras and by witnesses at the hospital and with drive time is absolutely ruled out…i.e. has that ‘iron clad alibi?’ Then get him out of rumor purgatory and confirm it.

There is a reward for information. Suppose MM’s phone was found on that road behind the property? If someone passed a car throwing something out the window that night around that time …they might not even connect that with the murders. If ‘tips’…information from the public…are truly desired, with this severe clamp down on actual facts of the case, most of what will flow in IMO will be unhelpful or rumor.

Just my thoughts this morning.

Last edited:
The details at the crime scene won’t change no matter who the killers are. Why so secretive about how far apart the victims were found? Or whether the guns were found and belong to the lodge? Or how many times each victim was shot? Do we even know from LE what kind of guns were used or is that from ‘sources’ too?

If they can state there is no danger to the general public, then that rules out a burglary, home invasion, or car jacking? Yet, it doesn’t, does it? So statements MADE are problematic to me as well as those not made.

There are also things that could be said that would tamp down rumors and speculation by elimination. If certain things are eliminated from importance, why can’t the general public know?

Did the black car that was towed belong to the family? If not, okay…I can understand protecting that info…but if it’s their car…why can’t they say

Was AM seen on cameras and by witnesses at the hospital and with drive time is absolutely ruled out…i.e. has that ‘iron clad alibi?’ Then get him out of rumor purgatory and confirm it.

There is a reward for information. Suppose MM’s phone was found on that road behind the property? If someone passed a car throwing something out the window that night around that time …they might not even connect that with the murders. If ‘tips’…information from the public…are truly desired, with this severe clamp down on actual facts of the case, most of what will flow in IMO will be unhelpful or rumor.

If any or all of what you ask for was released, it was just lead to more rumor and speculation.

After only 3 1/2 weeks, I don't think LE owes us any more than they've given us. In due time ...

JMO

The typical reason LE doesn’t release this info is to distinguish the real perps from someone giving a false confession. No point in drawing the crazies a road map.

But I do agree that it may be time to walk back the “no danger to the public” statement. Once they announced a tip line, it seemed pretty clear to me they weren’t going to solve it soon. Could this have originally looked like a murder/suicide?

MM’s phone

Just a quick g search and this is where the phone was found.

Outside of property

On a rural road outside the grounds

Along a rural road in colleton co.

Along a rural sc road

Rural roadway

Everytime I see this picture my eyes go straight to the blue dump truck.

SLED releases redacted reports in murder case of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh

The typical reason LE doesn’t release this info is to distinguish the real perps from someone giving a false confession. No point in drawing the crazies a road map.

But I do agree that it may be time to walk back the “no danger to the public” statement. Once they announced a tip line, it seemed pretty clear to me they weren’t going to solve it soon. Could this have originally looked like a murder/suicide?

Perhaps they determined by the morning of the 8th that this was a targeted hit as nothing was stolen. Maybe there was a note at the crime scene indicating it was a hit on PM. I'm sure LE had their reasons.

JMO

I am interested in the ‘no danger to the public’ comment. Was that just a knee-jerk reaction that this family was so important or controversial that it had to be just about them? Or have they had evidence from the scene that supports that statement.

Perhaps they determined by the morning of the 8th that this was a targeted hit as nothing was stolen. Maybe there was a note at the crime scene indicating it was a hit on PM. I'm sure LE had their reasons.

JMO

Unfortunately, because of what we are learning about the way the SS case and the MB case were handled, I don’t have my usual confidence that everything that is being done by LE in this case…is done for good reason.

The only problem I have with how their handling this case is, while LE is saying nothing their letting the M's release what information they want, like iron clad alibi's and PM was receiving threats.
It just doesn't seem right.
And I can understand if they can't release things like the 911 call because it could somehow impede the investigation but it's one thing to hear us say that when it would be nice to hear it from the authorities.

The only problem I have with how their handling this case is, while LE is saying nothing their letting the M's release what information they want, like iron clad alibi's and PM was receiving threats.
It just doesn't seem right.
And I can understand if they can't release things like the 911 call because it could somehow impede the investigation but it's one thing to hear us say that when it would be nice to hear it from the authorities.

JMO, from following so many cases here at WS, its somewhat unusual for LE to NOT release recordings of 911 calls. Sometimes a portion may be edited out to protect the investigation, but it's pretty rare to not release it.

By law, most states consider 911 calls public information, even in SC.

911 calls are received by public agencies and as such are subject to transparency laws. As citizens, we require government records to be open to the public (with some exceptions) because we want to make sure government agencies are open and accountable to the public. It helps prevent corruption. JMO

3. 911 tapes Archives - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

South Carolina

Public unless the release would harm the agency. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(3); Evening Post Publishing Co. v. City of N. Charleston, 611 S.E.2d 496 (S.C. 2005). Audio of the final statements of a dying victim in a call to 911 emergency services may be exempted and withheld from disclosure unless the privacy interest is waived by the deceased's next of kin. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(2).

3. 911 tapes Archives - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

South Carolina

Public unless the release would harm the agency. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(3); Evening Post Publishing Co. v. City of N. Charleston, 611 S.E.2d 496 (S.C. 2005). Audio of the final statements of a dying victim in a call to 911 emergency services may be exempted and withheld from disclosure unless the privacy interest is waived by the deceased's next of kin. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(2).

Snipped and BBM

I suspect the bolded statement would have a nebulous interpretation in court. By "harming the agency", does it mean impeding or hindering any ongoing investigations ?

Unfortunately, because of what we are learning about the way the SS case and the MB case were handled, I don’t have my usual confidence that everything that is being done by LE in this case…is done for good reason.

Snipped by me -

People of wealth and status like the M's have been protected across the country for a long time. I don't expect LE to totally follow the rules here but I do believe they will eventually get to the truth.

Why, in my humble opinion, is there always an aura of secrecy allowed to cocoon this family?

Please correct if I’m wrong, but although the two sons were mentioned in the SS investigation by several people, they were never interviewed by LE , were they? If certain names come up several times in this M case, does anyone believe that LE will not follow up? At least interview them?

Did the M family arrive at the boat crash before the police? I’m thinking of the ‘implied consent’ law in SC that would have applied to the rest of us at a similar scene. Why weren’t sobriety tests given by LE if they were there first? A girl was missing and probably dead!

If police weren’t there first…well, that’s interesting too. A friend is missing in the water and who gets the first call for help? Again, how was this cocoon of secrecy about Paul’s sobriety constructed…even if completely legal…with this same LE on the scene?

So now we have this investigation…being done as secretly as possible. Everything held so close to the chest…EXCEPT??? The M brothers go on national TV to tell the public that they are just average people in that community, these investigations that preceded the murders afforded them no special treatment, their brother has an iron clad alibi…etc. That’s all we need to know. And that’s put out to the public on National TV…then carried in every media.

How far apart were the bodies….oh, stop, stop…you will ruin the investigation!!!!

Did they get permission from LE to do these interviews? If the rationale for keeping even the facts from the crime scene secret…are to prevent more rumors…why didn’t this interview fall within the same category? Every excuse made to excuse this secrecy…should have also applied to that interview.

In order to believe that LE have gotten to ‘the truth’ when and if they announce their conclusions…we have to trust that, this time, the secrecy is strictly a matter of careful procedure. But, do they not understand, that fair or not, true or not, all done legally or not….this investigation carries the curious baggage of those cases involving the family that preceded it?-

My opinions only.

Why, in my humble opinion, is there always an aura of secrecy allowed to cocoon this family?

Please correct if I’m wrong, but although the two sons were mentioned in the SS investigation by several people, they were never interviewed by LE , were they? If certain names come up several times in this M case, does anyone believe that LE will not follow up? At least interview them?

Did the M family arrive at the boat crash before the police? I’m thinking of the ‘implied consent’ law in SC that would have applied to the rest of us at a similar scene. Why weren’t sobriety tests given by LE if they were there first? A girl was missing and probably dead!

If police weren’t there first…well, that’s interesting too. A friend is missing in the water and who gets the first call for help? Again, how was this cocoon of secrecy about Paul’s sobriety constructed…even if completely legal…with this same LE on the scene?

So now we have this investigation…being done as secretly as possible. Everything held so close to the chest…EXCEPT??? The M brothers go on national TV to tell the public that they are just average people in that community, these investigations that preceded the murders afforded them no special treatment, their brother has an iron clad alibi…etc. That’s all we need to know. And that’s put out to the public on National TV…then carried in every media.

How far apart were the bodies….oh, stop, stop…you will ruin the investigation!!!!

Did they get permission from LE to do these interviews? If the rationale for keeping even the facts from the crime scene secret…are to prevent more rumors…why didn’t this interview fall within the same category? Every excuse made to excuse this secrecy…should have also applied to that interview.

In order to believe that LE have gotten to ‘the truth’ when and if they announce their conclusions…we have to trust that, this time, the secrecy is strictly a matter of careful procedure. But, do they not understand, that fair or not, true or not, all done legally or not….this investigation carries the curious baggage of those cases involving the family that preceded it?-

My opinions only.

Google corrupt police and sheriff’s offices in SC, it’s pretty eye opening. The feds have cleaned up my local courthouse here twice in ten years.

Google corrupt police and sheriff’s offices in SC, it’s pretty eye opening. The feds have cleaned up my local courthouse here twice in ten years.

Google corrupt police and sheriff's offices in any state and especially small counties. It's called buying influence either with cash, legal and/or political favors, jobs, construction contracts, licensing, etc. The M's have wielded power in Hampton/Colleton counties since 1910. A smaller scale, but no different than Ted Kennedy getting away with leaving Mary Jo Kopechne in the water at Chappaquiddick.

Snipped by me -
People of wealth and status like the M's have been protected across the country for a long time. I don't expect LE to totally follow the rules here but I do believe they will eventually get to the truth.

RBBM.

I do expect law enforcement, including the prosecutor’s office, to “totally follow the rules.” They represent the rule of law and have ethical as well as legal standards to meet. Perhaps that hasn’t been the history in this county, and a history of misconduct may eventually shift the balance of power.

If LE does not follow defined procedure, then no one can and will be certain beyond reasonable doubt that they will ever “get to the truth.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1