SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in the ‘no danger to the public’ comment. Was that just a knee-jerk reaction that this family was so important or controversial that it had to be just about them? Or have they had evidence from the scene that supports that statement.

Unfortunately, because of what we are learning about the way the SS case and the MB case were handled, I don’t have my usual confidence that everything that is being done by LE in this case…is done for good reason.

I can’t square off these 2 dynamics:

“No threat to the public” with “a financial reward offer for tips.”

If they aren’t a threat how would the public have any tips on someone who isn’t a threat??

ETA-unless it’s a relative or former friend that was out to hurt just the Murdaugh family??

Last edited:
I can’t square off these 2 dynamics:

“No threat to the public” with “a financial reward offer for tips.”

If they aren’t a threat how would the public have any tips on someone who isn’t a threat??

ETA-unless it’s a relative or former friend that was out to hurt just the Murdaugh family??

I guess you could square the 2 dynamics if the killer left a note behind saying something to the effect of "Got ya Paul" or
"Mallory can rest in peace now".

JMO, from following so many cases here at WS, its somewhat unusual for LE to NOT release recordings of 911 calls. Sometimes a portion may be edited out to protect the investigation, but it's pretty rare to not release it.

By law, most states consider 911 calls public information, even in SC.

911 calls are received by public agencies and as such are subject to transparency laws. As citizens, we require government records to be open to the public (with some exceptions) because we want to make sure government agencies are open and accountable to the public. It helps prevent corruption. JMO

3. 911 tapes Archives - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

South Carolina

Public unless the release would harm the agency. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(3); Evening Post Publishing Co. v. City of N. Charleston, 611 S.E.2d 496 (S.C. 2005). Audio of the final statements of a dying victim in a call to 911 emergency services may be exempted and withheld from disclosure unless the privacy interest is waived by the deceased's next of kin. S.C. Code Ann. § 30-4-40(a)(2).

I've actually had the exact opposite experience.

I've followed numerous cases here on WS, and in most of them, the 911 audio hasn't been released to the public.

Most of the cases I've followed closely have been out of Colorado, though, which seems to be one of the absolute worst states when it comes to public transparency.

JMO.

You touched on some things here that have really been bothering me. Obviously different families have different dynamics. But when I think about what was happening that evening with the M family overall, something seems off. There are three brothers, grown men, all living in the same area. Their father is terminally ill and AM takes him to the hospital. Putting myself in that position, my mind would have gone to “this could be it”. But no other family members get involved in taking their very ill father to the hospital or seemingly make any effort to see him. And since AM drove their father to the hospital, I would think one of the other brothers would have gone to stay with their mom. But no, as the story goes, AM leaves the hospital and then goes back to check on mom. All parental care was apparently done by AM that evening. We know for part of that evening RM was out with his dogs, and without his phone. So, as you mentioned, no sign he was anxiously awaiting any news. I just think many families would have handled the circumstances of the evening differently. Their father was clearly extremely ill. We know this from reports but also bc he passed several days later. If all accounts are truthful and accurate, why did everything fall to AM that evening? There is no evidence of hands on support by other family members, including by AM’s two capable brothers.

I’m NOT judging the family for poor parental care. I simply think it’s atypical, odd behavior for the circumstances that have been reported. I would expect things to look different when there is a health related emergency and the death of a loved one, the patriarch of the family, is likely imminent. And imo, odd or atypical behavior can and often is a red flag that we’re not being told the whole truth.

All MOO

What bothers me is the 2016 transfer of property and assets. A married man of a number of years just doesn't get up one day and say "hey babe guess what, I am going to transfer every thing I own into your name so if you decide to leave I can be broke and homeless". No married man does that without a reason behind it. Or married woman for that matter. <modsnip - not victim friendly> Pure speculation on my part though. Plus all those people saying "Miss Maggie didn't deserve this." Never mind mentioning PM or AM or even "Buster". Shows she had the sympathy of everyone <modsnip - not victim friendly>

Also the time line bothers me. Both were killed between 9:00- 9:30 PM. AM makes the 911 call at 10:07. This was no burglary gone wrong. This is 2 murders committed in 30 minutes to 1 hour on an isolated hunting lodge with the bodies found about 20 to 30 yards apart on a rainy night. I am leaning toward them being walked out there at gunpoint then killed. Then AM happens to come strolling up after his walk. Mind you he strolled up to the dog kennels first never mind it being a wet night for a walk and continuing out in the rain to walk around the kennels, before going inside his home.

All this is pure speculation on my part, but something is completely hinky about every part of this crime.

JMO

Last edited:
What bothers me is the 2016 transfer of property and assets. A married man of a number of years just doesn't get up one day and say "hey babe guess what, I am going to transfer every thing I own into your name so if you decide to leave I can be broke and homeless". No married man does that without a reason behind it. Or married woman for that matter. This smacks of MM perhaps discovering an affair of AM in which he was willing to sign over everything he had to his wife to keep it under wraps. Pure speculation on my part though. Plus all those people saying "Miss Maggie didn't deserve this." Never mind mentioning PM or AM or even "Buster". Shows she had the sympathy of everyone also shows that no one showed any sympathy for PM, AM or BM. BTW wasn't there a news article that listed the recent troubles of the M family including "the trouble between M and A"? I am expecting a mistress or mister to pop up out of the woodwork anytime.

Also the time line bothers me. Both were killed between 9:00- 9:30 PM. AM makes the 911 call at 10:07. This was no burglary gone wrong. This is 2 murders committed in 30 minutes to 1 hour on an isolated hunting lodge with the bodies found about 90 to 100 yards from their house on a rainy night. I am leaning toward them being walked out there at gunpoint then killed. Then AM happens to come strolling up after his walk. Mind you he strolled up to the dog kennels first never mind it being a wet night for a walk and continuing out in the rain to walk around the kennels, before going inside his home.

All this is pure speculation on my part, but something is completely hinky about every part of this crime.

JMO

AM did not transfer everything to MM - his name is still on the deed for the Edisto Beach property. There could be a valid legal reason as to why the Moselle property and other land was put in MM's name.

The bodies were located near the dog kennels which is a quarter mile from the main house. Would have been a long walk from the main house and why would the killer(s) have done that ?

AM was not out walking - he was returning from his mother's house in Varnville after getting his father admitted to the hospital.

AM did not transfer everything to MM - his name is still on the deed for the Edisto Beach property. There could be a valid legal reason as to why the Moselle property and other land was put in MM's name.

The bodies were located near the dog kennels which is a quarter mile from the main house. Would have been a long walk from the main house and why would the killer(s) have done that ?

AM was not out walking - he was returning from his mother's house in Varnville after getting his father admitted to the hospital.
The only scenario I can imagine is if this started with PM by the kennels and one of the killers went up to the house, knowing MM was there…and marched her down there at gunpoint as leverage with PM.

What bothers me is the 2016 transfer of property and assets. A married man of a number of years just doesn't get up one day and say "hey babe guess what, I am going to transfer every thing I own into your name so if you decide to leave I can be broke and homeless". No married man does that without a reason behind it. Or married woman for that matter. <modsnip - not victim friendly> Pure speculation on my part though. Plus all those people saying "Miss Maggie didn't deserve this." Never mind mentioning PM or AM or even "Buster". Shows she had the sympathy of everyone <modsnip - not victim friendly>

Also the time line bothers me. Both were killed between 9:00- 9:30 PM. AM makes the 911 call at 10:07. This was no burglary gone wrong. This is 2 murders committed in 30 minutes to 1 hour on an isolated hunting lodge with the bodies found about 20 to 30 yards apart on a rainy night. I am leaning toward them being walked out there at gunpoint then killed. Then AM happens to come strolling up after his walk. Mind you he strolled up to the dog kennels first never mind it being a wet night for a walk and continuing out in the rain to walk around the kennels, before going inside his home.

JMO
Could AM have moved some assets into her name in anticipation of being named in a lawsuit? Was this around when the maid died? This is just a wild guess because I don’t even know if that’s a possible strategy.

The only scenario I can imagine is if this started with PM by the kennels and one of the killers went up to the house, knowing MM was there…and marched her down there at gunpoint as leverage with PM.

Maybe, but I'll go with the simplest explanation. After spending time with RM3, PM/MM drove back to Moselle, stopped to feed the dogs as the farm manager was fired, and were ambushed.

So he transfers all the property except one into her name? Why?????

Hubby and I own several properties, some rent houses ect, and all of them are in both our names. Only legal reason I can think of for dividing up a married couple's assets is a divorce. Or a mutual settlement agreement to prevent a divorce.

JMO

Could AM have moved some assets into her name in anticipation of being named in a lawsuit? Was this around when the maid died? This is just a wild guess because I don’t even know if that’s a possible strategy.

Not likely as the properties were quitclaimed in 2016. The lawsuit filed by the estate of the housekeeper was settled in Dec 2018 and was paid by Philadelphia Indemnity, not the M's.

No SS died in 2015 (and was rumored to be involved in a relationship with one of the M's), the maid died in 2018 and MB died in 2019. The transfer of assets was in 2016.

Toss into this mix evidence found at the murder scene causing the case of SS to be reopened implying that LE is now linking it to these murders.
JMO

So he transfers all the property except one into her name? Why?????

Hubby and I own several properties, some rent houses ect, and all of them are in both our names. Only legal reason I can think of for dividing up a married couple's assets is a divorce. Or a mutual settlement agreement to prevent a divorce.

JMO

Perhaps it was done as to not exceed the estate tax exemption limit in SC if and when AM passed away. We are not privy to all that they own, so I'm betting it was done to minimize taxes in the long haul.

I wonder if when AM returned, did he go straight to where they were found or go home and then out to see where they were?

Id like to know that too. Also, where were MM and PM in the hours before the murder?

In the circumstances as described, if my husband were going to take his terminally ill Father to the hospital, for what might be the last time…I certainly would have gone over to stay with his Mother. We wouldn’t have wanted her to be alone.

I wonder if they had hospice help at the parents house? Dad was certainly near the end, it seems likely they would have.

I guess in time we will know. Maybe.

Wait…correction…the Father died at home, didn’t he? Was he not admitted that night? Did AM bring him back to his own home?

Last edited:
Transfers before a suit are no problem. Transfers eitehr during a the course of a suit, or before a probable suit can be voided by the Court as a fraudulent transfer.

The key words, however, could be "can be". At the very least, the plaintiff needs to go to Court to have the transfer found fraudulent. This would probably involves argument, counter arguments, and results in delays.

Then factor in that states can have very different standards on what is needed to show fraudulent transfer. Some states such as Nevada are very debtor friendly and place a high burden of proof (clear and convincing) on anybody seeking to void a transfer of assets as being fraudulent. Other states may favor the creditor.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I'll go with the simplest explanation. After spending time with RM3, PM/MM drove back to Moselle, stopped to feed the dogs as the farm manager was fired, and were ambushed.
Do you think it was just some hooligans that were out there and came upon P and MM, got scared because they were on private property and shot them?!?

Id like to know that too. Also, where were MM and PM in the hours before the murder?

In the circumstances as described, if my husband were going to take his terminally ill Father to the hospital, for what might be the last time…I certainly would have gone over to stay with his Mother. We wouldn’t have wanted her to be alone.

I wonder if they had hospice help at the parents house? Dad was certainly near the end, it seems likely they would have.

I guess in time we will know. Maybe.

Wait…correction…the Father died at home, didn’t he? Was he not admitted that night? Did AM bring him back to his own home?
I thought the father died 2 days after the murders. I'm assuming he was sick for awhile.

Do you think it was just some hooligans that were out there and came upon P and MM, got scared because they were on private property and shot them?!?

No, I believe it was a targeted hit on PM and some indication of that was left at the scene prompting LE to state there was no threat to the general public.

On the law firm website, AM describes himself this way….’part-time prosecutor.’

Attorney Profiles | Our Team | PMPED Law Firm

‘Alex represents injured persons in all areas of personal injury law, including trucking cases, products liability and wrongful death. He also serves as a part-time Prosecutor for the 14th Judicial Circuit.’

His father was paid $2500 a month for his services. Perhaps he paid his son for his assistance?

From the N&O article…

‘From 2008 to 2019, Randolph Murdaugh, working under contract, was lead attorney prosecuting at least eight cases, mostly violent crimes, with his son Alex assisting with some of them. All but one case were prosecuted in Hampton County. Alex Murdaugh was lead attorney for one case in 2019, Kidd
wrote.

The agency did not have records of exactly how many cases Alex Murdaugh assisted his father in prosecuting. He is “the only attorney who has served as a prosecutor in a volunteer capacity” between 2006 and 2021, Kidd said.

RBBM. Sorry, but this has the whiff of Midwestern manure to me. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces