SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The role of father and son, contractor and volunteer in prosecution, is unique.

The five other active volunteers for the Solicitor’s Office — four retirees and a graduate student — have never been practicing attorneys, according to Kidd.

Anthony Dore, a Beaufort-based attorney and judge in Yemassee, used to work for Randolph Murdaugh when he was solicitor and credits him with helping his career.

Dore said it probably also helped to have Randolph Murdaugh prosecuting in Hampton after he retired, because he was well known and knew all the players.

“Him being from Hampton ... I’m sure was a great asset to the Solicitor’s Office,” Dore said.

He speculated that son Alex Murdaugh offered to help the office because prosecution has run in his family for so long. Dore said he has never seen a situation like the Murdaughs volunteering and contracting with the current Solicitor’s Office.

“I don’t think there’s anybody in a similar situation as to his family,” he said.

FOLLOW MORE OF OUR REPORTING ON

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/s...oMb0_R330BylBFjn2ekC3VdbcJYokhE#storylink=cpy

Did I hear correctly that MM was 20-30 YARDS from PM? Thats quite a distance! I’m trying to imagine how AM discovered those two bodies.

That was the only new tidbit in the entire podcast - I'd like to know who their "outside sources" are that leaked the 20-30 yards distance between PM & MM - if it's even true. If they think a judge is going to force SLED to release information about the murders during an active investigation, I've got some swampy land on the Salkehatchie to sell them. Someone tell them the surname is pronounced Mur-dock.

Back to where the phone was found…this reporting..if accurate ( BIG IF)…seems to indicate the road “outside” their home.

‘A cell phone belonging to Maggie Murdaugh was found on the road outside the 1,700-acre Colleton County estate the day after she and her son Paul were slain, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Although Paul Murdaugh’s cell phone was found near his body on the night of the killings June 7, investigators were unable to locate Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone that night, the sources said.

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/l...p8oJmpYwbAMpL3O6H-27037l2Q6cN4Y#storylink=cpy

The newspapers can’t get info that legally they…and WE…are entitled to…and then this…

“Kidd’s response came after more than three weeks of unreturned phone calls, voicemails and texts from The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette newspapers to Stone and his office. The newspapers filed FOIA requests, which require responses, after the office failed to return messages.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/s...oMb0_R330BylBFjn2ekC3VdbcJYokhE#storylink=cpy

Everything I post here...is just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Dogs were worth money. Guns kept there would be worth money. Even farm equipment would be worth money. And we haven’t even gotten to the contents of the main house.

Locks could be shot out as easily as killing humans.

Yet nothing was taken.

The river was searched in one direction…MM’s phone found in the other direction.

Something was found very quickly that re-opens a case that was pretty much closed for years.

MM is down at the dog kennels…a football field away from her comfortable house…on a rainy night.

AM…after what must have been a long and emotionally exhausting day…driving past an entrance that looks closer to the main house…to enter where he has to pass the kennels.

‘The 911 call…which the public is legally entitled to…is still unavailable.

There’s a family emergency where the terminally ill patriarch must be taken to the hospital, yet as close as they are as a family, one brother goes night hunting and can’t be reached by phone. Wouldn’t you think he’d be waiting to hear how Dad was doing and what the Doctors said?

Many, many puzzles IMO.

You touched on some things here that have really been bothering me. Obviously different families have different dynamics. But when I think about what was happening that evening with the M family overall, something seems off. There are three brothers, grown men, all living in the same area. Their father is terminally ill and AM takes him to the hospital. Putting myself in that position, my mind would have gone to “this could be it”. But no other family members get involved in taking their very ill father to the hospital or seemingly make any effort to see him. And since AM drove their father to the hospital, I would think one of the other brothers would have gone to stay with their mom. But no, as the story goes, AM leaves the hospital and then goes back to check on mom. All parental care was apparently done by AM that evening. We know for part of that evening RM was out with his dogs, and without his phone. So, as you mentioned, no sign he was anxiously awaiting any news. I just think many families would have handled the circumstances of the evening differently. Their father was clearly extremely ill. We know this from reports but also bc he passed several days later. If all accounts are truthful and accurate, why did everything fall to AM that evening? There is no evidence of hands on support by other family members, including by AM’s two capable brothers.

I’m NOT judging the family for poor parental care. I simply think it’s atypical, odd behavior for the circumstances that have been reported. I would expect things to look different when there is a health related emergency and the death of a loved one, the patriarch of the family, is likely imminent. And imo, odd or atypical behavior can and often is a red flag that we’re not being told the whole truth.

All MOO

You touched on some things here that have really been bothering me. Obviously different families have different dynamics. But when I think about what was happening that evening with the M family overall, something seems off. There are three brothers, grown men, all living in the same area. Their father is terminally ill and AM takes him to the hospital. Putting myself in that position, my mind would have gone to “this could be it”. But no other family members get involved in taking their very ill father to the hospital or seemingly make any effort to see him. And since AM drove their father to the hospital, I would think one of the other brothers would have gone to stay with their mom. But no, as the story goes, AM leaves the hospital and then goes back to check on mom. All parental care was apparently done by AM that evening. We know for part of that evening RM was out with his dogs, and without his phone. So, as you mentioned, no sign he was anxiously awaiting any news. I just think many families would have handled the circumstances of the evening differently. Their father was clearly extremely ill. We know this from reports but also bc he passed several days later. If all accounts are truthful and accurate, why did everything fall to AM that evening? There is no evidence of hands on support by other family members, including by AM’s two capable brothers.

I’m NOT judging the family for poor parental care. I simply think it’s atypical, odd behavior for the circumstances that have been reported. I would expect things to look different when there is a health related emergency and the death of a loved one, the patriarch of the family, is likely imminent. And imo, odd or atypical behavior can and often is a red flag that we’re not being told the whole truth.

All MOO

Good post - what we don't know is why RM3 was taken to the hospital. If he was near death with cancer, you would think he would have been in hospice. Perhaps another health issue, i.e. heart attack, prompted the admittance to the local hospital and AM just happened to be there. We also don't know if RM4 and JM were at RM3's house visiting early in the day, thought all was OK , and went home.

This has stuck with me.

Why? What were they looking for.

Did the perp/s enter/leave property by that route?

SLED divers search river near Murdaugh property in double-homicide investigation | WSAV-TV

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) – Law enforcement officials on Wednesday confirmed that South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) divers have been searching the Salkehatchie River near the property where members of the Murdaugh family were found shot to death last Monday.
{SBM}

Referencing article in quote:

SLED divers search river near Murdaugh property in double-homicide investigation | WSAV-TV

Investigators say they were found by Paul’s father and Maggie’s husband, Alex Murdaugh, as he returned from a walk.

So where was Alex M? Taking his father to the hospital, visiting his mother, out hunting or just taking a walk per this article?

That "iron clad alibi" is starting to look like a house of cards to me.

JMO

This has stuck with me.

Why? What were they looking for.

Did the perp/s enter/leave property by that route?

COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) – Law enforcement officials on Wednesday confirmed that South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) divers have been searching the Salkehatchie River near the property where members of the Murdaugh family were found shot to death last Monday.
The search took place shortly after the tip line was announced. I bet they got a call from someone who’d seen a person throwing something off that bridge shortly after the murders. MOO

All MOO

Maybe they took turns. All three are gainfully employed. All three need nightly sleep. He’d been ill for some time. If they had a few false alarms, “tonight’s the night”, but he survived, I’d bet they had a rotating schedule. And a firm plan if his illness took a serious turn for the worst.

ETA: I hope they spared the man the news of the double murders.

Last edited:
The search took place shortly after the tip line was announced. I bet they got a call from someone who’d seen a person throwing something off that bridge shortly after the murders. MOO

I figured they searched under the bridge just because it is close by and/or to eliminate it. Did they find anything? I haven’t heard.

{SBM}

Referencing article in quote:

Investigators say they were found by Paul’s father and Maggie’s husband, Alex Murdaugh, as he returned from a walk.

So where was Alex M? Taking his father to the hospital, visiting his mother, out hunting or just taking a walk per this article?

That "iron clad alibi" is starting to look like a house of cards to me.

JMO

Looks like more inept reporting to me ...

Because the authorities have shut done release of all information, we really have no idea where AM was. His brothers say he has an ‘airtight alibi’ but family opinion is not evidence. LE have said he’s not a suspect but we’ve heard that before…when individuals were far less entwined with local law enforcement…and later found out differently.

All we know is the names of the victims, the time frame of their deaths, that AM found them at the Moselle property and called 911 at. 10:07pm.
PM’s phone was nearby. MM’s was found later, away from the crime scene. A black car was towed from the scene. Both had been shot several times with two different guns used.

This clampdown makes me question if there is actually a evidentiary reason for it or if it is just special treatment for special friends. If I found a body in their jurisdiction, would the 911 call be released or would I be spared having the public hear my hysteria? If I lived on Moselle Rd and there is evidence of a burglary…which as Sustained correctly pointed out, we do not know…is it fair to me, to my safety, to keep that secret? If either of the victims had been driving that Black car, is it fair to the general public to suppress that information, since these brutal murders may have begun with a carjacking?

The secrecy extends even to the nature of AM’s employment at the Solicitor’s office… forcing the newspapers to file FOIA requests to receive that basic evidence which should have no bearing on the murders.

“Kidd’s response came after more than three weeks of unreturned phone calls, voicemails and texts from The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette newspapers to Stone and his office. The newspapers filed FOIA requests, which require responses, after the office failed to return messages.’

Because the authorities have shut done release of all information, we really have no idea where AM was. His brothers say he has an ‘airtight alibi’ but family opinion is not evidence. LE have said he’s not a suspect but we’ve heard that before…when individuals were far less entwined with local law enforcement…and later found out differently.

All we know is the names of the victims, the time frame of their deaths, that AM found them at the Moselle property and called 911 at. 10:07pm.
PM’s phone was nearby. MM’s was found later, away from the crime scene. A black car was towed from the scene. Both had been shot several times with two different guns used.

This clampdown makes me question if there is actually a evidentiary reason for it or if it is just special treatment for special friends. If I found a body in their jurisdiction, would the 911 call be released or would I be spared having the public hear my hysteria? If I lived on Moselle Rd and there is evidence of a burglary…which as Sustained correctly pointed out, we do not know…is it fair to me, to my safety, to keep that secret? If either of the victims had been driving that Black car, is it fair to the general public to suppress that information, since these brutal murders may have begun with a carjacking?

The secrecy extends even to the nature of AM’s employment at the Solicitor’s office… forcing the newspapers to file FOIA requests to receive that basic evidence which should have no bearing on the murders.

“Kidd’s response came after more than three weeks of unreturned phone calls, voicemails and texts from The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette newspapers to Stone and his office. The newspapers filed FOIA requests, which require responses, after the office failed to return messages.’

In cases like these, for some reason the public and the media think they're entitled to every piece of information/evidence that LE has discovered to date. There is an active investigation going on - why in the world would LE release anything that might compromise the investigation, instill more panic in the community, or worse yet get someone killed if they were named a person of interest.

Guaranteed, LE knows if AM was at the hospital as cameras are present. If he is lying, he would have been called out on it already.
As would his brothers. Likely they have spoken with his mother to see if he returned there after leaving the hospital.

Folks need to take a deep breath and let LE do their job. There's a lot for them to digest/investigate here, especially if the suspect pool is deep.

Is it important to the investigation that the public not know the specifics of AM’s employ at the Solicitor’s office?

To me, that statement was the bombshell in that podcast!

It was released that AM was a part-time volunteer at the Solicitor's office, an office that was dominated by Murdaughs for generations. What else would the public need to know ?

I would think/hope the cell phone data from individuals involved have been looked at to verify location.

I'm sure it is, but that takes time as well. Records would have to be subpoenaed from phone companies and cell tower maps constructed to see where folks were before, during and after the murders. Call logs would have to be analyzed.

In cases like these, for some reason the public and the media think they're entitled to every piece of information/evidence that LE has discovered to date. There is an active investigation going on - why in the world would LE release anything that might compromise the investigation, instill more panic in the community, or worse yet get someone killed if they were named a person of interest.

Guaranteed, LE knows if AM was at the hospital as cameras are present. If he is lying, he would have been called out on it already.
As would his brothers. Likely they have spoken with his mother to see if he returned there after leaving the hospital.

Folks need to take a deep breath and let LE do their job. There's a lot for them to digest/investigate here, especially if the suspect pool is deep.

I agree but to a point. And in my opinion, that point has been crossed in this case.

The investigating authorities need to follow the law. The law DOES specify what the public has a right to know. The podcast made that clear.

We citizens can not choose what laws we want to follow…even if we have a good reason. LE needs to hold itself to a similar standard…particularly in a case like this….where there are already questions about special treatment for this family in cases involving OTHER people’s deceased loved ones.

The placebo statement…that the public is not at risk…carries a moral responsibility when uttered. It shouldn’t be used lightly or as a ‘shut-up’ tactic if not completely true. If I lived or had family in that area, I would want to be assured that that statement was absolutely sincere and there was no threat to any other family. But if the case is so complex that almost all details must be suppressed in stone silence…then that statement was premature at best and an inaccurate placebo to the public at worst.

My opinions of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member