SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow wis tv and can’t believe we haven’t seen an update on this. Even if it’s just to say they are still at it. My negatives continue to grow with this case.

Same. Its one of the most silent reports that I can recall in a double murder case. Just an odd mix…the morning show appearance, only one mention of the offered reward, no threat to the public…

Not sure where he works, thought I had read he was doing work/working at the law firm, not sure when.

But, he is not on the Directory of members for sc bar.

https://www.scbar.org/media/filer_p...575b/2020_directoryofmembers_20200819_2a2.pdf

These are my impressions -- I don't have the articles to cite -- but I thought BM was still in law school (so not a member of bar) and since I feel like it's come up a couple times that he was working at the M firm, I assumed his employment was maybe for the summer or if year-round, maybe he just assists with certain cases like an intern. I do not know the facts — only my memory at work. Just speculation.

The more interesting question for me is finding out for sure where BM was the night of the murders. He could very well have been at home in Rock Hill when his uncle called him (GMA) but in all likelihood uncle was calling BM on a cell phone and he could have been anywhere. Don't mean to be sleuthing him just wondering if he has an alibi?

[deleted my comment related to July 24 Governor’s Cup — could no longer find the photo]

Last edited:
Something came to me -- we don't really know where BM was the evening of June 7, do we? He lives in Rock Hill, which MapQuest will tell you is about 2hrs, 40 min North of Moselle Rd. But how many people his age have a landline? When his uncle was calling him that Monday night, he could have been anywhere answering on his cell phone.

Also, isn't he working for the PMPED law firm? Presumably not the office in Hampton (that would be over 2 hrs. from Rock Hill), but the other two offices in Ridgeland and Walterboro seem like they are kind of a long commute from Rock Hill, too. But who knows, maybe he was part time or was a remote worker.

Only some thoughts. JMO.

Just throwing this out there as something that seemed odd to me.

AM makes his living in a business which could potentially create enemies; both from his work as an attorney and as a volunteer at the solicitor’s office. That’s simply the nature of his work. And there are some real lunatics walking among us. Unless it was known immediately who the perpetrators were, then I would think revenge against AM or the family as a whole would have been considered for that reason. (In fact, it does seem that according to the CAD, LE may have taken the initiative to check on BM?, albeit at the wrong address in Hampton)

I know AM’s fear on the scene, or lack thereof, has been discussed.
If I try to put myself in his position (and I understand it’s ridiculous to think that I really could do so), but simply as a parent, if I try..
I don’t think the fear of a shooter still on the scene would have overcome my desire to check on the condition of my son and my spouse.
However, I do think that the GMA interview portion regarding them contacting BM seems odd. RM said that AM couldn’t bring himself to call BM to tell him what happened, so RM did so himself. (i think it’s important that it was specified that the purpose of that phone call was to tell BM that his brother and mom had been killed.)
However, I think that phone call, at least for me, would have come much earlier and for another reason. I think I would not have been able to keep myself from calling my other son, likely right after the 911 call ended. And it would not have been to deliver the terrible news, but to check on his well-being. If 2/3 of my family had just been brutally murdered, my mind would quickly go my other son, his whereabouts and well-being. I would be frantically trying to find out if the other 1/3 of my family was ok.
I also would have used my clout to try to have someone in LE go to BM’s home in Rock Hill and bring him to me. I would not have wanted him to be alone, or to drive. I would be terrified for his safety until he was with me. Especially if there was evidence that the murders at Moselle had occurred recently. I would think there was a possibility the perpetrators may not be finished, that they could be out to murder my remaining son as well, but maybe hadn’t yet. This would cause me to attempt to warn and intervene, bc maybe I could stop something that hadn’t yet been completed.
I know BM is 25 yo. That wouldn’t matter one bit to me. I would at least have to consider that someone was trying to kill the entire family. So, that’s where the lack of fear comes into this for me. Not any lack of fear for AM’s own safety on the crime scene, but a lack of fear for his other son. (Of course, we only know what’s been said. Maybe AM was concerned for him, and RM just didn’t say so.)
If they had reason to believe he was in no danger at all, then ok. But then I also have to consider why did AM felt he himself needed the support and presence of his 2 brothers, but BM received a phone call with life changing/crushing news, and seems to have been expected to drive several hours from Rock Hill with no family there to support him. If I couldn’t pull some strings and get LE to pick up and bring my son to me, I’m quite sure I would have asked one of my brothers to go get him (both for safety reasons and to keep him from driving in the midst of sudden shock and grief.) What a long, anxiety ridden, panicked drive that must have been for BM.

If it tells me anything, it tells me they weren’t afraid for his safety and that possibly his personality type is one that is able to function well in high stress? even drive a considerable distance after hearing such horrible news.
Of course, we also don’t know if he had a SO or friend with him.
All that to say- there is no known evidence BM’s family was concerned for his safety as it related to the incident at Moselle.

AMOO

These are my impressions -- I don't have the articles to cite -- but I thought BM was still in law school (so not a member of bar) and since I feel like it's come up a couple times that he was working at the M firm, I assumed his employment was maybe for the summer or if year-round, maybe he just assists with certain cases like an intern. I do not know the facts — only my memory at work. Just speculation.

The more interesting question for me is finding out for sure where BM was the night of the murders. He could very well have been at home in Rock Hill when his uncle called him (GMA) but in all likelihood uncle was calling BM on a cell phone and he could have been anywhere. Don't mean to be sleuthing him just wondering if he has an alibi?

[deleted my comment related to July 24 Governor’s Cup — could no longer find the photo]
I searched and searched and found nada.

<modsnip>

Guess I was remembering when I was in my 20s, one of my parents was killed in a car accident. I felt like I had been punched in the gut for weeks. No interest in socializing or making small talk. But that was me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not pic I saw but same news source and thats why didnt think I could post. Ended up deleting comment.

Guess I was remembering when I was in my 20s, one of my parents was killed in a car accident. I felt like I had been punched in the gut for weeks. No interest in socializing or making small talk. But that was me.

Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about that or the 911 call.

Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about that or the 911 call.
What do you mean? Not sure about being out after only 8 weeks? Im not sure either because everyone is different. I could be old fashioned about a period of grieving.

Not sure if we can discuss article since thats not a MSM but dont they make it sound like M was there when PM called 911? Doesnt make sense when they later say Uncle made phone call to BM to break the news.

What do you mean? Not sure about being out after only 8 weeks? Im not sure either because everyone is different. I could be old fashioned about a period of grieving.

Not sure if we can discuss article since thats not a MSM but dont they make it sound like M was there when PM called 911? Doesnt make sense when they later say Uncle made phone call to BM to break the news.

I just think if finding the killer(s) of family is priority, who would have time or will to attend a fish tournament? But I agree, people react differently.

Apologize for confusion. Think photos I saw were on Reddit, of which Im not a member — so not sure how I was able to see them.

Was looking at this as “state of mind” not meaning to sleuth a victim. And agree, I personally wouldn't want this distraction from goal to resolve the crime.

Last edited:

AM makes his living in a business which could potentially create enemies; both from his work as an attorney and as a volunteer at the solicitor’s office. That’s simply the nature of his work. And there are some real lunatics walking among us. Unless it was known immediately who the perpetrators were, then I would think revenge against AM or the family as a whole would have been considered for that reason. (In fact, it does seem that according to the CAD, LE may have taken the initiative to check on BM?, albeit at the wrong address in Hampton)

If I try to put myself in his position (and I understand it’s ridiculous to think that I really could do so), but simply as a parent, if I try..
I don’t think the fear of a shooter still on the scene would have overcome my desire to check on the condition of my son and my spouse.
However, I do think that the GMA interview portion regarding them contacting BM seems odd. RM said that AM couldn’t bring himself to call BM to tell him what happened, so RM did so himself. (i think it’s important that it was specified that the purpose of that phone call was to tell BM that his brother and mom had been killed.)
However, I think that phone call, at least for me, would have come much earlier and for another reason. I think I would not have been able to keep myself from calling my other son, likely right after the 911 call ended. And it would not have been to deliver the terrible news, but to check on his well-being. If 2/3 of my family had just been brutally murdered, my mind would quickly go my other son, his whereabouts and well-being. I would be frantically trying to find out if the other 1/3 of my family was ok.
I also would have used my clout to try to have someone in LE go to BM’s home in Rock Hill and bring him to me. I would not have wanted him to be alone, or to drive. I would be terrified for his safety until he was with me. Especially if there was evidence that the murders at Moselle had occurred recently. I would think there was a possibility the perpetrators may not be finished, that they could be out to murder my remaining son as well, but maybe hadn’t yet. This would cause me to attempt to warn and intervene, bc maybe I could stop something that hadn’t yet been completed.
I know BM is 25 yo. That wouldn’t matter one bit to me. I would at least have to consider that someone was trying to kill the entire family. So, that’s where the lack of fear comes into this for me. Not any lack of fear for AM’s own safety on the crime scene, but a lack of fear for his other son. (Of course, we only know what’s been said. Maybe AM was concerned for him, and RM just didn’t say so.)
If they had reason to believe he was in no danger at all, then ok. But then I also have to consider why did AM felt he himself needed the support and presence of his 2 brothers, but BM received a phone call with life changing/crushing news, and seems to have been expected to drive several hours from Rock Hill with no family there to support him. If I couldn’t pull some strings and get LE to pick up and bring my son to me, I’m quite sure I would have asked one of my brothers to go get him (both for safety reasons and to keep him from driving in the midst of sudden shock and grief.) What a long, anxiety ridden, panicked drive that must have been for BM.

If it tells me anything, it tells me they weren’t afraid for his safety and that possibly his personality type is one that is able to function well in high stress? even drive a considerable distance after hearing such horrible news.
All that to say- there is no known evidence BM’s family was concerned for his safety as it related to the incident at Moselle.

AMOO
Wish I could like this 10 x's!

This just seems too personal to be random locals. The choice of weapons could be that the perps maybe expected that the intended victims could themselves be armed and long guns could afford some distance if need be. I just don’t see burglary or theft here.
On the call, I know 911 asks if anyone is around but did they not think to advise precaution? Did the responding cops ask dispatch about a potential shooter? I just don’t understand how easy everybody involved took this and not to belabor the point, but this “no threat” is just so, so disturbing. Whoever was behind that public statement REALLY should explain.

AMOO
Your observation that he didn’t seem concerned about BM’s well-being is excellent, and hadn’t occurred to me. Not sure what it means, but odds are good it’s a real clue.

https://www.islandpacket.com/opinio...kKtxL_cgsTGhS6opIucdsH-dKDY0dtoT1WFOJ6m_Pwslw

"Immediately after a double murder rocked the powerful Murdaugh family two months ago, in a dark corner of Colleton County, someone I know put this on Facebook:

“You’ll know a Murdaugh did it if no one is arrested.”

That’s sad, but a typical reaction. It shows how little faith the people have in the criminal justice system, and that’s a terrible thing."

>snip<

"The Murdaugh murders have also shown the world a criminal justice system entrenched in secrecy, even as the spread of cockamamie rumors has become a cottage industry.

Maybe they’re not cockamamie — who would know? Authorities have said zero about what they think took place or what a motive may have been.

The Colleton County Sheriff’s Office released one sentence to the public at the outset of an investigation that was within hours taken over by the State Law Enforcement Division.

Then the public was told it was not in danger, even as two people had just been gunned down and there were no arrests or any hints about suspects.

How can they assure us that no one is at risk? Why did they say that? And nothing else?"

https://www.islandpacket.com/opinio...kKtxL_cgsTGhS6opIucdsH-dKDY0dtoT1WFOJ6m_Pwslw

"Immediately after a double murder rocked the powerful Murdaugh family two months ago, in a dark corner of Colleton County, someone I know put this on Facebook:

“You’ll know a Murdaugh did it if no one is arrested.”

That’s sad, but a typical reaction. It shows how little faith the people have in the criminal justice system, and that’s a terrible thing."

>snip<

"The Murdaugh murders have also shown the world a criminal justice system entrenched in secrecy, even as the spread of cockamamie rumors has become a cottage industry.

Maybe they’re not cockamamie — who would know? Authorities have said zero about what they think took place or what a motive may have been.

The Colleton County Sheriff’s Office released one sentence to the public at the outset of an investigation that was within hours taken over by the State Law Enforcement Division.

Then the public was told it was not in danger, even as two people had just been gunned down and there were no arrests or any hints about suspects.

How can they assure us that no one is at risk? Why did they say that? And nothing else?"
Great points!

This just seems too personal to be random locals. The choice of weapons could be that the perps maybe expected that the intended victims could themselves be armed and long guns could afford some distance if need be. I just don’t see burglary or theft here.
On the call, I know 911 asks if anyone is around but did they not think to advise precaution? Did the responding cops ask dispatch about a potential shooter? I just don’t understand how easy everybody involved took this and not to belabor the point, but this “no threat” is just so, so disturbing. Whoever was behind that public statement REALLY should explain.
Yes, it seems too personal to be random. I too do not see burglary or theft here...
I’m not condoning or justifying the behaviors people died and strings were pulled and things were swept under the rug to prevent consequences... However, MOO is, I think AM, or his brothers, or his father, or his other son Buster, or all of them, or any combination of a few of them, could be counting on most people to be of the same opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BUKANAS