SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media is usually driven by competition and that will often lead to good honest reports. I can promise you that even if the smaller outlet(s) are interested in keeping something low key due to not wanting the community to “look bad” or worry over certain people’s status, other outlets who want the story or “scoop” will flush out the truth. It’s a very competitive field.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you about the media, but it depends on who owns it; who the editor is; who advertises in it; and, how badly they want continued access to stories (e.g. from the prosecutors office). There can be a lot of motivations. Of course there are many great reporters and journalists, and, yes in many cases they want THE story. But the opposite is true too.

I’m not sure about that district but I can offer an example of how the solicitors office can be held by 1 area. The 16th is made up of York county, which is basically south Charlotte NC, and Union county, a rural much lower population across the river. It is just about mathematically impossible for a solicitor to be elected from the latter due to voting base. Spartanburg/Cherokee counties is another judicial district that is dominated by one vote base.
That sounds like an unbalanced way of things. My husband over the years has moaned about our small town, while growing into a larger town, redistricting. It can be an inconvenience in voting but at least the town was trying to maintain a voting population balance. Every state and their towns and cities are different in the way they try or don't try to keep balance voting.

That sounds like an unbalanced way of things. My husband over the years has moaned about our small town, while growing into a larger town, redistricting. It can be an inconvenience in voting but at least the town was trying to maintain a voting population balance. Every state and their towns and cities are different in the way they try or don't try to keep balance voting.

In the first example I cited, it’s a base of 280,000 voting over 27,000. It’s just mostly a lost cause to run against someone from such a big place that wants to keep the office in their backyard.

This is from a few days ago, but still interesting for those of you who like to watch videos. It's about 40 mins long. (I'm listening now, and will post if there is anything interesting that we don't know already. That is, if I don't get interrupted by hungry kids. ;))

This is from a few days ago, but still interesting for those of you who like to watch videos. It's about 40 mins long. (I'm listening now, and will post if there is anything interesting that we don't know already. That is, if I don't get interrupted by hungry kids. ;))

Listened to this awhile back - a lot of it is Post and Courier reporters whining about the FOIA and how they are entitled to what LE has on the investigation.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but here it is.

Attorneys: Law enforcement tried to protect Paul Murdaugh from blame in deadly Lowcountry boat crash

"The petition claims that certain evidence gathered at the scene of the boat crash is now missing. They want these five officers to be questioned about, "The failure to conduct an appropriate investigation, including the failure to administer field exercises to Paul Murdaugh, as well as other investigative irregularities of which Petitioner is informed and believes occurred which coincidentally resulted in the loss of evidence."

The petition also states that these five officers may have information as to a campaign to, "Cloud the investigatory issues involved in the 2019 boat crash and disseminate false information in the community with the intention of misleading law enforcement and prosecutors and the public into believing Cook should be arrested and charged as the boat operator."

Since the grand jury is composed of everyday citizens, if the Murdaughs are not charged I would assume there were no grounds to indict. We will see.
Even if the Grand Jury indicts, the DA can choose not to press charges. That’s exactly what happened in the Jon Benet Ramsey case. Since GJ proceedings are usually secret there’s no way of knowing when or how often that occurs. We only found out it happened w/JBR years later when a GJ participant felt so unsettled they chose to leak the information.

I am reminded of Lady Justice being always depicted with a blindfold. That’s a fundamental promise and one that has too often not been kept.

One night in 2017 I made one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. And that was in the midst of relatives and friends breathing down my neck. Without going into any great detail I was the only one with the legal right to go and retrieve my daughter from the jail.

In my town, when someone abuses alcohol and drinks nyquil in there own home, they take them by ambulance to the ER. Then from there they don't release them back home. They go straight to the county jail to dry out for one night.

She had been on a path that I could not turn her around from, no matter what I did. I made the decision that night not to bail her out, not to go and get her, not to retrieve her, but I made her stay there that night.

It scared her so bad, and to this day she tells me that was her turning point for sobering up. And she was in a cell completely alone away from other people.

So yes, I did remember that she was my daughter, and a very specific targeted way. And my daughter is alive today because I made that decision then.

Thank you for an inspirational post. ❤️

Snipped by me

No control because he had disposable cash, cars, boats and time on his hands. No control b/c his father was extremely busy with his law practice and his mother didn't feel the need to babysit an almost 20-year-old as he had an older brother.

None of us know what AM/MM tried with PM to get him under control. With some kids, it doesn't matter how hard you try - the kids are destined to screw up. PM might have been a convincing, pathological liar. Easy to say tough love when it's not your kid.

Edit - I will add we also don't know the dynamics of the relationship between AM/PM. Quite possibly, AM favored BM and PM was the ne'er do well. PM might have resented that and as a result became the rebel.

JMO
this same family dynamic plays out in poor households all over and the end of the story has those boys in prison. ppl w money have a different set of rules. everywhere.

Actually they're not entitled to view anything that would impede or hinder an ongoing investigation.

Someone posted the details of the SC FOIA a few pages back or in the #2 thread.
They've released redacted reports and said why they were so heavily redacted.

Have they said it would impede or hinder the ongoing investigation to release the 911 call? If they have I haven't read that yet?

Edit: That information would mean a lot to my way of thinking about who is suspect.

They've released redacted reports and said why they were so heavily redacted.

Have they said it would impede or hinder the ongoing investigation to release the 911 call? If they have I haven't read that yet?

Edit: That information would mean a lot to my way of thinking about who is suspect.

As far as I know, LE is not required to tell anyone why they're not releasing information if they feel it would hinder the ongoing investigation. I assume that would include the 911 call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member