SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to throw this out there because, well, I think it's key to a LE investigation of what happened.

A vehicle going 10 mph travels 14.667 feet per second. So, for a half dozen spent cartridges to group rather closely, a shooter would have to be stationary....for the most part.

Convert 10 Miles per Hour to Feet per Second

"The semi-automatic rate is the assault rifle/semi-auto only version on rapid fire. It is the maximum rate that a weapon can fire with any degree of accuracy in semi-auto mode, usually 45-60 rpm."

Rate of fire

The rate of fire is found to vary from differing sources. However, if one takes the maximum noted here, then what you'd have is one bullet per second. Some sources say a professional could fire up to 3, or even 4 bullets per second.

Of course, number of shooters, and speed of vehicle can dramatically change ones thinking on this matter.

I also keep in mind that semi automatic handguns under normal shooting circumstances almost invariably discharge to the right. I've seen some throw spent cartridges up to 15 feet, others throw them 2 or three feet, and if a shooter is 'limp wristing' the firearm, or otherwise waving it around, the cartridge might just dribble out and fall straight down.

It is the 'discharge to the right' piece that I'm focused on.

In any event, this data gives food for thought pertaining to the grouped location of the alleged spent cartridge locations.

So, one example could be, 2 shooters, going 10 mph. The second 2 shots would be about 15 feet away from the first two, and then, the next 2 shots would be nearly 30 feet away from the first two. That would be a spread of nearly 30 feet for 6 shots from a vehicle going 10 mph.
Fascinating info, thanks!

Can you then tell...

Did the shooter vehicle travel by AM's vehicle going in the same direction as AM, or pass by going the opposite way and turn around to his side of the road.

The first would have the shooting coming from the driver's side of the "pick-up/car".
The second the shooting is done from the passenger side. Which in you mind lines up best with where the evidence cards say the shells landed?

Edit the above paragraph to visa versa ^ my bad

Just as an aside, that model Mercedes does not come standard with a jack or a spare nor does Mercedes make a jack or a spare for it - one has to buy an aftermarket package. That's because it has those special tires that can be driven when flat.

Someone please correct me if you find any other information. It's entirely possible of course that Murdaugh had that add-on...

By detailing the vehicle and impounding it for "further investigation", this could show L.E. whether A.M.'s vehicle had been tampered with (i.e. tires).

Perhaps the "potential witnesses" SLED interviewed will help the investigation.
It certainly looks like a thorough investigation.

Murdaugh father treated for gunshot wound is 'expected to fully recover,' attorney says

Excerpts:

"SLED agents came to the scene an hour after the dispatch call. Lowcountry regional agents and SLED crime-scene agents had all reached the area by 4:30 p.m."

"Officers worked “throughout the night into Sunday morning collecting evidence, processing the crime scene, interviewing potential witnesses, and following up on potential leads,” SLED said. "

"A black Mercedes-Benz SUV driven by Alex Murdaugh was initially processed and ultimately towed to a law enforcement impound lot for further investigation."
I've been thinking about the black Chevy Suburban that was towed from the murder scene at Moselle. I'm afraid I assumed it was AM's because of the location where it was parked. And "important" men will often drive a black SUV., jmo

So, if the Suburban was his, why was he driving a Mercedes Benz SUV? Would LE have released the Suburban back to the family after processing or would LE keep the Suburban until...?

Just as an aside, that model Mercedes does not come standard with a jack or a spare nor does Mercedes make a jack or a spare for it - one has to buy an aftermarket package. That's because it has those special tires that can be driven when flat.

Someone please correct me if you find any other information. It's entirely possible of course that Murdaugh had that add-on...

Run flat tires are likely. Relatives of mine have a fairly new Mercedes, and it is the same - no jack or spare without an extra package - and run flat tires. The tires are wildly expensive.

I've been thinking about the black Chevy Suburban that was towed from the murder scene at Moselle. I'm afraid I assumed it was AM's because of the location where it was parked. And "important" men will often drive a black SUV., jmo

So, if the Suburban was his, why was he driving a Mercedes Benz SUV? Would LE have released the Suburban back to the family after processing or would LE keep the Suburban until...?
Maybe the Mercedes was a straight-up work vehicle and AM was traveling to work in Charleston?

According to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), Alex Murdaugh called 911 to report that he’d been shot on Old Salkehatchie Road near Varnville, S.C. at 1:34 p.m. on Saturday, September 4.

The shooting occurred about seven miles from Moselle — the family hunting lodge where Alex Murdaugh discovered the bodies of his 52-year-old wife Maggie Murdaugh and their son 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh on June 7, 2021.

The Hampton County Sheriff’s Office first responded to the scene and dispatched SLED for assistance at 2:41 p.m. The sheriff’s office requested that SLED lead the investigation.

Murdaugh Murders: Police Confirm Details In Alex Murdaugh Shooting

One hour and seven minutes for any local cops to get to a shooting scene after the victim calls them?

Is that a normal response time in this area?

According to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), Alex Murdaugh called 911 to report that he’d been shot on Old Salkehatchie Road near Varnville, S.C. at 1:34 p.m. on Saturday, September 4.

The shooting occurred about seven miles from Moselle — the family hunting lodge where Alex Murdaugh discovered the bodies of his 52-year-old wife Maggie Murdaugh and their son 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh on June 7, 2021.

The Hampton County Sheriff’s Office first responded to the scene and dispatched SLED for assistance at 2:41 p.m. The sheriff’s office requested that SLED lead the investigation.

Murdaugh Murders: Police Confirm Details In Alex Murdaugh Shooting

One hour and seven minutes for any local cops to get to a shooting scene after the victim calls them?

Is that a normal response time in this area?

I read that as dispatched for SLED assistance at 2:41 and local LE was already on-site. However, that's open to interpretation

Maybe the Mercedes was a straight-up work vehicle and AM was traveling to work in Charleston?
Could be. But if there was evidence re the Suburban and it was something that could be used @ trial, do you think LE would have released it or would they keep it impounded?

Also, do you think the locals would be OK with a good ol boy (albeit a rich one) driving one of those fancy foreign cars? I'd certainly frown on it.

Sunshinearay, this is not totally directed at you. The "you" is plural.

Could be. But if there was evidence re the Suburban and it was something that could be used @ trial, do you think LE would have released it or would they keep it impounded?

Also, do you think the locals would be OK with a good ol boy (albeit a rich one) driving one of those fancy foreign cars? I'd certainly frown on it.

If the Suburban had evidence the LE/Solicitor's office could make a legal case to keep it impounded. We've never heard one way or the other, IIRC, that it was returned to the Murdaughs?

As far as the Murdaughs worrying about what kind of cars their firm buys for the lawyers to use, I can see it not mattering one bit what the locals thought of their choices. AJMO

Run flat tires are likely. Relatives of mine have a fairly new Mercedes, and it is the same - no jack or spare without an extra package - and run flat tires. The tires are wildly expensive.
https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb-nafta/us/owners/manuals/2021/Operators/MY21_GLS_SUV_OManual.pdf
Manual for the current model, not sure what year AM’s was. Tire change toolkit info starts on page 378. If the SUV did indeed come equipped with the toolkit and a spare or emergency/collapsible spare, it looks like a bit of a pain to do. Maybe AM was just at the point where he had pulled over to see if the TPM was indeed correct in stating low pressure for that particular wheel, or he did feel the car pulling and the TPM indicator was warning.

Coincidentally, he was a 10 minute drive from the property where his wife and son were killed.
Which makes me wonder just why he didn't just turn around and drive back to the house. Mercedes have the run flat tires, so unless the wall of the tire has a gash in it, you can still drive. Actually, I drove to a tire dealership with low pressure gauge on and didn't know that I had a large gash in the inside of the tire wall. Were there signs that he actually was in the process of changing the tire? Was the tire flat? You would think that this wealthy man would have a AAA or other roadside service. Or, did investigators search the area close by for the weapon?

Last edited:
When I went to this link the still for the video shows a black SUV on right shoulder and what appears to be LE and their vehicles clustered around to left.

If the black SUV parked on right shoulder belongs to AM he didnt park very far off the road if he was planning on a tire change. That said, perhaps the tire was passenger side.

I guess I’m picturing the flat on driver side because AM didnt have protection of car between him and shooter.

Only my musings. JMO.
It will be a real surprise if there is a bullet hole in the tire, if there is a problem with the tire at all. JMO.

I hope it was private and requested/paid for by Alex himself. I really do. Because dispatching a public air ambulance to transport a superficially injured patient is dangerous, irresponsible and counters basic emergency response procedures. Theory being a critically injured patient’s “golden hour” should never be squandered because scarce air resources were busy transporting some guy with a boo boo on his head.

Wonder if COVID has clogged up the area hospitals. Maybe that influenced decisions. It’s been reported that in some laces even heart attack patients have to wait hours to be admitted. AM is fortunate for speedy treatment to the superficial head wound.

Which in you mind lines up best with where the evidence cards say the shells landed?

For me, it's almost impossible that anyone shot at AM while he was standing in front of the drivers side of the car, or near the car, unless there is damage to the car that is not able to be seen in the available photos/video, unless under the following scenario.

My best guess would be the perps truck passed AM's car going the opposite direction, turned around, and came back up upon him from the rear of his vehicle. This would permit shooters to fire weapons while coming up on the disabled car, hanging or firing out the passenger window(s), firing somewhat parallel to it, missing the car, allowing the ejection of the cartridges to fly to the right and land where they did. However, to not hit the car would be amazing, but I think possible.

As I've said earlier, I don't recall the spent cartridges as being definitively attributed to any one individual.

Any way one looks at this, in my opinion, unless there are spent cartridges at a greater distance than shown by the markers in media, whoever was shooting was driving extremely slow, stopped, or standing there.

@adammintzer

NEW: Statement from Alex Murdaugh after Saturday shooting. “The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret…”

“I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”
Alex Murdaugh enters rehab, resigns from law firm (wistv.com)

2:22 PM · Sep 6, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Last edited:

Think your point about driving a late model European car in rural SC is well taken. I used to have a farm in rural Virginia (weekend home) and always drove my F-150 around there leaving my “city” mini-van in the buggy shed. You don't ingratiate yourself with country people driving a fancy car. They are practical, hard-working folks and don't take well to showing off. Less is more. MOO

@adammintzer

NEW: Statement from Alex Murdaugh after Saturday shooting. “The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret…”

“I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”
2:22 PM · Sep 6, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Very, very sad. Explains a lot.

As we know from hearing about Timmy, people do a lot if things they regret (and would do sober) when they are intoxicated/have an addiction.

MOO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members