SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So all along I thought it was telling that SLED was searching that swamp between Moselle and Varnville early on (where AM's parents live). Now they are saying that AM went to Moselle and took a nap in the middle here before going to Varnville and coming back home... I really want to see the timeline of AM's travels!

So all along I thought it was telling that SLED was searching that swamp between Moselle and Varnville early on (where AM's parents live). Now they are saying that AM went to Moselle and took a nap in the middle here before going to Varnville and coming back home... I really want to see the timeline of AM's travels!
There should be quite a bit of digital evidence here, so I'd suspect that SLED has an excellent picture of his movements that night.

pulling out another wow from the WSJ piece that @MassGuy highlighted…

the family’s AR-15 (consistent with MM injuries) was not recovered at the scene OR made available for inspection.

I think we know what they were looking for in that swamp. MOO

snipped by me

Really good article here. The Unraveling of the Murdaugh Dynasty: Unsolved Murders, Insurance Fraud and Missing Millions
(Snip)
Maggie was shot multiple times, including in the back, with a different gun, and cases of a type of ammunition known as 300 Blackout were found nearby, according to two people familiar with the situation. The family owned an AR-15 style rifle that can use that type of ammunition but it wasn’t recovered at the scene or turned over for inspection, the people said.

In reference to 300 blackout ammo casings at crime scene.

As the shooting industry was beginning to lean towards short rifles and suppressors – the 300 Blackout just so happened to be designed for short barreled rifles, equipped with suppressors. It was one of those moments where everything collided just perfectly.

Best .300 Blackout Ammo: Self Defense, Hunting, Target

So that's how they did it. The law assumes the attorneys will be honest and communicate with the plaintiffs about the status of their lawsuits and any awards they have. This is just so evil. :(

They probably robbed Gloria while alive by making her work long hours for little pay. Then they robbed her sons after she died. Disgusting people.
They ARE the bottom of the barrel. Inhuman. MOO

Really good article here. The Unraveling of the Murdaugh Dynasty: Unsolved Murders, Insurance Fraud and Missing Millions

... In the double murder case, investigators have released no suspect sketches, held no news conferences, and said, without explanation, that there is no threat to the public. ...

That tells me right there that LE's have known all along who murdered MM and PM - especially the "no threat to the public part". No need to do any of those things if you already know who the killer is. Their near-total silence screams.

Lots of good information in this article.
Interesting that, according to this, Alex took his father to the hospital, came back to Moselle to nap, then went to see his mother, who has dementia.
Also, based on that article, I’m deducing both the shotgun used to kill Paul and the AR-15 used to kill Maggie were the Murdaugh’s and were stored at Moselle. I’ll bet that’s what they were searching for in the water.
And Buster getting kicked out of law school for plagiarism??! But of course, why would I be surprised???! SMDH. JMO

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Limited Federal Involvement Confirmed
Federal law enforcement resources have been involved in the ongoing investigation of the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga, sources at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) are confirming.

https://twitter.com/fitsnews/status/1441128572479934474?s=21

Federal law enforcement resources have been involved in the ongoing investigation of the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga, sources at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) are confirming.

The extent and nature of the federal engagement is limited, according to my sources, however it marks another escalation in this unraveling Shakespearian saga – which is the focus of at least six separate criminal inquiries at the state level as well as multiple civil court actions.

News of the federal involvement was first reported by John Monk of The (Columbia, S.C.) State newspaper on Thursday afternoon.

Federal officials declined to comment on their specific role in the ongoing investigations, deferring to the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) – the agency in charge of multiple state-level inquiries into this influential family and the powerful law firm it founded decades ago in the South Carolina Lowcountry.

SLED issued a statement on Thursday afternoon affirming the agency has previously called upon the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for support in connection with at least one of the Murdaugh-related inquiries – and would continue to call upon the feds “as needed.”

“SLED agents continue to work diligently to bring justice to all victims in these cases,” agency chief Mark Keel said. “As I have previously stated, our agents remain committed to following the facts no matter where they lead us.”

From the WSJ article:

... Local reporter Mandy Matney, who has published dozens of blog posts scrutinizing the Murdaughs over the past two years, identified the air ambulance and found that the helicopter had been dispatched before sheriff’s deputies were called. ...

Pretty impressive reporting by Mandy Matney when even the WSJ is citing FITSNews.

From the WSJ article:

... Local reporter Mandy Matney, who has published dozens of blog posts scrutinizing the Murdaughs over the past two years, identified the air ambulance and found that the helicopter had been dispatched before sheriff’s deputies were called. ...

Pretty impressive reporting by Mandy Matney when even the WSJ is citing FITSNews.
Yup, hands down the best reporter on the case. I don't have the attention span for podcasts, but her "Murdaugh Murders," podcast is number 2 in true crime on Apple.

Unraveling
By the late spring of 2021, Randolph Murdaugh III was sick with cancer and his health was deteriorating, according to people familiar with the family. Buster had been kicked out of law school for plagiarism, according to court records.

Paul, who was out on bond, had continued to have minor run-ins with law enforcement, including a speeding ticket and a boating violation.

After more than two years, the wrongful death suit of Ms. Beach was coming to a head, with a hearing scheduled for June 10. A judge was expected to consider a motion by Mr. Tinsley to compel Alex Murdaugh to turn over his financial statements.

Three days before the hearing, Alex Murdaugh was with his father at the hospital. According to a person close to the family, he came back to Moselle, took a nap and when he awoke, he left to check on his mother, who suffers from dementia. He didn’t see Maggie and Paul before he left, according to the person.

At 10:07 p.m. on June 7, Alex Murdaugh called 911 from Moselle, saying he had just arrived back home. “I need the police and ambulance immediately!” he said, according to a recording of the call. “My wife and child have been shot badly!”

Mr. Murdaugh stayed on the line with a dispatcher, who told him not to touch the bodies. He said it was too late. “I already touched them to see if they were breathing,” he said.

Deputies arrived roughly 20 minutes after the 911 call, followed by state law enforcement officers.

Paul was shot in the chest and head, according to his death certificate. He was shot at close range with a shotgun, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Maggie was shot multiple times, including in the back, with a different gun, and cases of a type of ammunition known as 300 Blackout were found nearby, according to two people familiar with the situation. The family owned an AR-15 style rifle that can use that type of ammunition but it wasn’t recovered at the scene or turned over for inspection, the people said.

On June 10, less than 72 hours after the murders, family patriarch Randolph Murdaugh III died at age 81. Law enforcement vehicles from nearly every regional agency filled the funeral procession three days later as a sign of respect.

In the double murder case, investigators have released no suspect sketches, held no news conferences, and said, without explanation, that there is no threat to the public.

Mr. Harpootlian said Mr. Murdaugh had nothing whatsoever to do with the murders of his wife and son. “The only violence he’s ever been involved with is this, which was to have himself executed,” he said in court.
Not sure I believe all that’s quoted in this article. Still feel AM is way more involved than we all know and it won’t all come out until something cracks more than already has.MOO

If Buster was kicked out of Law school for plagiarism his character doesn’t bode well with me. BM could know and be much more apart of the schemes and knowledge of the deaths than we know. Not saying he actually did any of the things but I think he knows a lot more than appears.MOO

The extent and nature of the federal engagement is limited, according to my sources, however it marks another escalation in this unraveling Shakespearian saga – which is the focus of at least six separate criminal inquiries at the state level as well as multiple civil court actions.

News of the federal involvement was first reported by John Monk of The (Columbia, S.C.) State newspaper on Thursday afternoon.

Federal officials declined to comment on their specific role in the ongoing investigations, deferring to the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) – the agency in charge of multiple state-level inquiries into this influential family and the powerful law firm it founded decades ago in the South Carolina Lowcountry.

SLED issued a statement on Thursday afternoon affirming the agency has previously called upon the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for support in connection with at least one of the Murdaugh-related inquiries – and would continue to call upon the feds “as needed.”

“SLED agents continue to work diligently to bring justice to all victims in these cases,” agency chief Mark Keel said. “As I have previously stated, our agents remain committed to following the facts no matter where they lead us.”

This is the best news I’ve heard on this case since the murders occurred.

So. Many. Cases.

SLED also has agents and resources in all areas of criminal cases. It is working with the S.C. Attorney General’s office, which has trained prosecutors in state law.

Keel encouraged the public to call 803-896-2605 if they have any information related to the at least seven investigations.

They include:

▪ The unsolved June 7 slayings of Maggie and Paul

▪ The embezzlement of millions of dollars — possibly as much as $10 million — from Murdaugh’s former law Hampton County firm.

▪ The 2015 unsolved violent death of Stephen Smith on a rural Hampton County highway

▪ The 2018 death of Murdaugh’s longtime housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield, who died after a fall at the Murdaugh family home. SLED is investigating her death and the distribution of $4.3 million in insurance proceeds after her death. A lawsuit filed last week alleges Murdaugh and two friends mishandled $2.7 million of insurance money that was due the rightful heirs, Satterfield’s two sons.

▪ The 2019 violent death of Mallory Beach, 19, who drowned after being thrown from a boat allegedly piloted by Paul. Tests indicated Paul had been drinking. After Paul was killed, criminal charges against him were dismissed

▪ An alleged botched plot on Labor Day weekend by a friend of Murdaugh to kill him so that his sole surviving son, Buster, could inherit $10 million.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article254466128.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member