SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Murdaugh Murders Saga: Limited Federal Involvement Confirmed
Federal law enforcement resources have been involved in the ongoing investigation of the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga, sources at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) are confirming.
https://twitter.com/fitsnews/status/1441128572479934474?s=21
https://twitter.com/fitsnews/status/1441128572479934474?s=21
I knew the DOJ would be all over it. It involves banking. I betting the treasury department also and since 3 years have passed since the settlement, the IRS criminal investigative arm.

JMO

I have always thought he did.

JMO

Lets imagine a scenario based on this new information from the WSJ article.
Alex’s target is Maggie. He lies in wait and kills her with the AR-15 from their personal collection, which is now unaccounted for.
He leaves the scene and drives from Moselle, where he was “napping,” to his parents’ house in Varnville. On the way, he disposes of the murder weapon in the swampy stretch of water that runs along his route. He visits his demented mother, who will be likely unable to give specifics about his visit or how long he stayed. He then returns to Moselle to “discover” Maggie.
How does Paul come into play? If he arrived at the scene right before Alex returned, why would he need to be killed? Alex would have already left the scene and disposed of the weapon. Why would he need to then kill Paul?

Thoughts?
All theory and speculation, MOO, etc. of course.

Lets imagine a scenario based on this new information from the WSJ article.
Alex’s target is Maggie. He lies in wait and kills her with the AR-15 from their personal collection, which is now unaccounted for.
He leaves the scene and drives from Moselle, where he was “napping,” to his parents’ house in Varnville. On the way, he disposes of the murder weapon in the swampy stretch of water that runs along his route. He visits his demented mother, who will be likely unable to give specifics about his visit or how long he stayed. He then returns to Moselle to “discover” Maggie.
How does Paul come into play? If he arrived at the scene right before Alex returned, why would he need to be killed? Alex would have already left the scene and disposed of the weapon. Why would he need to then kill Paul?

Thoughts?
All theory and speculation, MOO, etc. of course.

bbm
Why would he need to then kill Paul?

Because Paul was there when AM tried to kill Maggie and Paul got between them. In Alex's drug/alcohol induced stupor, when he started to pull the trigger on the shotgun, his slow reflex's carried the action through. Kind of like people who are intoxicated cannot hit the brake pedal fast enough to avoid a wreck. As OP said the recoil on the shotgun may have released the trigger guard just enough for the second shell to enter the chamber thus causing him to fire two shots in rapid succession. Maggie panicked and ran. If it was dark Alex needed a gun that fired long distance and was fitted with an infrared scope, to both see in the dark in all those tall trees and for longer range. So enter an AR-15 fitted with an infrared scope and loaded with very powerful ammo. No link, just opinion.

JMO

Really good article here. The Unraveling of the Murdaugh Dynasty: Unsolved Murders, Insurance Fraud and Missing Millions

Unraveling
By the late spring of 2021, Randolph Murdaugh III was sick with cancer and his health was deteriorating, according to people familiar with the family. Buster had been kicked out of law school for plagiarism, according to court records.

Paul, who was out on bond, had continued to have minor run-ins with law enforcement, including a speeding ticket and a boating violation.

After more than two years, the wrongful death suit of Ms. Beach was coming to a head, with a hearing scheduled for June 10. A judge was expected to consider a motion by Mr. Tinsley to compel Alex Murdaugh to turn over his financial statements.

Three days before the hearing, Alex Murdaugh was with his father at the hospital. According to a person close to the family, he came back to Moselle, took a nap and when he awoke, he left to check on his mother, who suffers from dementia. He didn’t see Maggie and Paul before he left, according to the person.

At 10:07 p.m. on June 7, Alex Murdaugh called 911 from Moselle, saying he had just arrived back home. “I need the police and ambulance immediately!” he said, according to a recording of the call. “My wife and child have been shot badly!”

Mr. Murdaugh stayed on the line with a dispatcher, who told him not to touch the bodies. He said it was too late. “I already touched them to see if they were breathing,” he said.

Deputies arrived roughly 20 minutes after the 911 call, followed by state law enforcement officers.

Paul was shot in the chest and head, according to his death certificate. He was shot at close range with a shotgun, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Maggie was shot multiple times, including in the back, with a different gun, and cases of a type of ammunition known as 300 Blackout were found nearby, according to two people familiar with the situation. The family owned an AR-15 style rifle that can use that type of ammunition but it wasn’t recovered at the scene or turned over for inspection, the people said.

On June 10, less than 72 hours after the murders, family patriarch Randolph Murdaugh III died at age 81. Law enforcement vehicles from nearly every regional agency filled the funeral procession three days later as a sign of respect.

In the double murder case, investigators have released no suspect sketches, held no news conferences, and said, without explanation, that there is no threat to the public.

Mr. Harpootlian said Mr. Murdaugh had nothing whatsoever to do with the murders of his wife and son. “The only violence he’s ever been involved with is this, which was to have himself executed,” he said in court.

EDITED: typing errors, correct and final post follows…

Boy, somebody really spilled the beans for this article. Great find, MassGuy!

Buster kicked out of law school for plagiarism;
AM was home between individual visits with his p’s, took a nap, and didn’t wonder where MM and PM were :rolleyes:;
MM shot in back … WOW! :eek:

Last edited:
Do we know for sure that AM owned a rifle like used in the murders and it’s missing? If that is so and he can’t produce it then “I don’t recall” isn’t going to be the correct answer that LE will be looking for. Long guns, even ARs, don’t require a permit here but I’m sure there would be a purchase record if he got it new. If it’s a personal sale then he would have wiggle room. I admit I need to keep up more but these other stories have gotten widely reported and I’ve just no interest in the housekeeper report until they declare it murder or the money charges. That all just seems to be getting in the way of the murders.

With all that we have read and discussed, I have to say I agree with the Governor — this is one of the saddest stories ever.

Think of all the what if’s, beginning with all the advantages, money, and influence, the good this family could have done in their community and for S.C.

Instead it looks like they had miserable, selfish lives that they tried to deny with seemingly constant self indulgence and self grandizing, while they were using their friends and colleagues, and taking advantage of the less fortunate at every turn. (And are perhaps responsible for multiple deaths/murders.)

JMO.

Last edited:
Really good article here. The Unraveling of the Murdaugh Dynasty: Unsolved Murders, Insurance Fraud and Missing Millions

Unraveling
By the late spring of 2021, Randolph Murdaugh III was sick with cancer and his health was deteriorating, according to people familiar with the family. Buster had been kicked out of law school for plagiarism, according to court records.

Paul, who was out on bond, had continued to have minor run-ins with law enforcement, including a speeding ticket and a boating violation.

After more than two years, the wrongful death suit of Ms. Beach was coming to a head, with a hearing scheduled for June 10. A judge was expected to consider a motion by Mr. Tinsley to compel Alex Murdaugh to turn over his financial statements.

Three days before the hearing, Alex Murdaugh was with his father at the hospital. According to a person close to the family, he came back to Moselle, took a nap and when he awoke, he left to check on his mother, who suffers from dementia. He didn’t see Maggie and Paul before he left, according to the person.

At 10:07 p.m. on June 7, Alex Murdaugh called 911 from Moselle, saying he had just arrived back home. “I need the police and ambulance immediately!” he said, according to a recording of the call. “My wife and child have been shot badly!”

Mr. Murdaugh stayed on the line with a dispatcher, who told him not to touch the bodies. He said it was too late. “I already touched them to see if they were breathing,” he said.

Deputies arrived roughly 20 minutes after the 911 call, followed by state law enforcement officers.

Paul was shot in the chest and head, according to his death certificate. He was shot at close range with a shotgun, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

Maggie was shot multiple times, including in the back, with a different gun, and cases of a type of ammunition known as 300 Blackout were found nearby, according to two people familiar with the situation. The family owned an AR-15 style rifle that can use that type of ammunition but it wasn’t recovered at the scene or turned over for inspection, the people said.

On June 10, less than 72 hours after the murders, family patriarch Randolph Murdaugh III died at age 81. Law enforcement vehicles from nearly every regional agency filled the funeral procession three days later as a sign of respect.

In the double murder case, investigators have released no suspect sketches, held no news conferences, and said, without explanation, that there is no threat to the public.

Mr. Harpootlian said Mr. Murdaugh had nothing whatsoever to do with the murders of his wife and son. “The only violence he’s ever been involved with is this, which was to have himself executed,” he said in court.
So AM went back to Moselle from the hospital to take a nap, woke up and left to go see his Mom without seeing either PM or MM. I guess the brother's forgot to mention AM's nap or the being at the murder scene alone before AM went to see his Mom? Doesn't really fit the definition of "iron clad" if nobody else was there at Moselle to see him, does it? Is the house at Moselle that large that they would be home together and not see each other? I guess that time frame of his "iron clad" alibi now depends on two deceased people. Well that's not helpful is it?

MM shot in the back with a type of bullet that has good accuracy up to 550 yards away. The AR-15 style rifle known to be a Murdaugh possession was not there at Moselle (I'm guessing from that it should have been?) and has never subsequently been turn over to LE for testing. Were they robbed or was the weapon misplaced?

PM shoot very up close and personal with a morenm up close and personal weapon. Seems if there was a struggle for a weapon, two sets of hands grappling for control of it, a taller and stronger person having the advance could cause the type of wounds PM had.

Please overlook if this next bit sounds callus, I don't mean to be, just blunt.

Seems like MM was set up and shot like a deer, like wild game, whereas PM struggled face to face and hand to hand with his killer.

All this new info makes me think even more about the emotional utterance I hear on that 911 call, "For God's sake Paul. Why'd you have to get involved?".

AJMO

Last edited:
@adammintzer
PMPED, Alex Murdaugh's former law firm, has added a message to its website. "He lied and he stole from us. No member of PMPED was aware of Alex’s scheme...We have yet to speak to anyone who was aware of his addiction to opioids."

Statement says the law firm is “stunned” over reports Gloria Satterfield’s family never received a payout out from her death settlement, which Alex Murdaugh is accused of keeping. Statement ends saying the firm is committed to the community and working with law enforcement.

upload_2021-9-24_3-53-3.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F9C62EA-FF3A-40FF-934D-36486A12964E.png
    2F9C62EA-FF3A-40FF-934D-36486A12964E.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 19
@adammintzer
PMPED, Alex Murdaugh's former law firm, has added a message to its website. "He lied and he stole from us. No member of PMPED was aware of Alex’s scheme...We have yet to speak to anyone who was aware of his addiction to opioids."

Statement says the law firm is “stunned” over reports Gloria Satterfield’s family never received a payout out from her death settlement, which Alex Murdaugh is accused of keeping. Statement ends saying the firm is committed to the community and working with law enforcement.

View attachment 314393

I don’t blame folks for avoiding the firm, like I said earlier, shut it down.

Of interest? PMPED never asked SLED to conduct this investigation – the agency launched it on its own. Sources familiar with the nascent probe have told me it could soon metastasize into a much broader graft and corruption inquiry – one impacting numerous law firms, financial institutions and public officials. Oh, and judges.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Limited Federal Involvement Confirmed

@adammintzer

View attachment 314393
Forgive me if this rings a bit hollow.

Re: @MassGuy's WSJ story post above -
Most like has DEMENTIA. Depending on the severity of her disease, would she be considered a "reliable" witness in his timeline defense? She might be of NO assistance as a corroborating material witness to AM if she doesn't remember his visit at all! AM's "ironclad alibi", indeed. The tangled webs we weave.
Most likely if she had severe dementia she would have one or two care givers with her who would have said when AM arrived to visit his mother and when he left. On the other hand, they may have been intimidated into giving false information to LE. I agree that he mother would not be a corroborating witness.

@adammintzer

View attachment 314393

This is crazy. I thought maybe part of the money that he was fired over was Gloria's money, but it sounds like that is not the case.

@adammintzer

View attachment 314393
I would suggest that anyone who had a personal injury lawsuit handled by this firm go to the court records to find out exactly what was paid out by insurance companies.

Actually anyone, anywhere should do this.

This side hustle of claiming that only xx was paid out, when the payout was larger, is not the first time this game has been played by PMPED.
It’s just the first time that it has been exposed nationwide.

I know someone who had a small settlement from a car accident settled. When the lawyers (his lawyers! From a well known firm) were dispersing the funds, they tried to hold back $12,000 for “medical bills” related to the accident. He called them out on it, and POOF, the medical bill went away and he got the full amount due him.

@MassGuy
One reason for a doctor determining her death as natural would be “if they’re not aware of the fall, ... not aware of the circumstances,” Watts said.

IMO - being a medical transcriptionist for 31 years and involved with Coroner’s Office as well - it is ludicrous to believe the doctor was not aware of the fall or circumstances. The whole point of an Admission History and Physical is to get a history and physical. Right?

In court filings, Fleming is described as Murdaugh’s former college roommate, one of his best friends and the godfather of Paul.

Fleming has not returned multiple calls for comment from The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette.

Called Thursday, Jim Moss, a partner at Moss, Kuhn & Fleming, said the accusations against Fleming are false. He said the law firm hired attorneys and plans to file a counter suit. He refused to specify when asked who the firm plans to sue.

“If you want to know where the money is, check Hampton,” Moss said, referring to Murdaugh’s alleged scheme to take money from his housekeeper’s estate.
Moss refused to answer any other questions and hung up the phone.

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254464968.html#storylink=cpy

@adammintzer

View attachment 314393
"Distressed", "dismayed", a "regrettable" and "tragic" "situation", not livid, outraged about unacceptable and felonious actions. But they are feeling "betrayed" and "fierce", I guess that's something?

Sounds like they've had a few clients asking lots of questions and ordering their own accountings. I wonder how much the partners are on the hook for financially. It must be a tidy sum, I'd say. IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members