SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like maybe some vigilante justice at work.

It really does but I’m opening my net wider to consider other possibilities. It’s obvious that the victims were isolated in a rural area and I’m just considering if the lady was the main target. I’m just trying to avoid getting tunnel vision and seeing it one way.

What happens to a lawsuit if the defendant in the lawsuit is deceased? Does it just go away or does it proceed?
From this article: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article251969163.html

At the time of his death, Paul Murdaugh’s felony charges were being prosecuted by the S.C. Attorney General’s office.

“We obviously cannot proceed with the prosecution, so once we have a death certificate or other acceptable proof, we’ll officially dismiss the charges,” an Attorney General spokesman said Tuesday.

There is still a civil suit against the family and the store that reportedly sold them beer.
Depositions released in Mallory Beach wrongful death lawsuit

"Mallory's mother, Renee Beach, has filed a civil lawsuit against Murdaugh's family and the Parker's convenience store chain.

In that lawsuit are allegations that a convenience store clerk sold alcohol to two of the underage teens on the night of the crash.

One of the teens used a fake ID to purchase it."

What happens to a lawsuit if the defendant in the lawsuit is deceased? Does it just go away or does it proceed?
The civil lawsuit should continue against the estate of the decedent. While most young people have nothing in the way of assets, a wealthy young person may have a trust, accumulated gifts of not only cash but also stocks, land, a college fund, etc. The civil lawsuit will be dropped if the lawyers find zero money IMO.

<not victim-family friendly> The mother Margaret - was she from a wealthy, connected family, too, or just someone who married up to the Murdaughs?

Last edited by a moderator:
So many tentacles to this. LE has their hands full on this one. I just hope there's direct evidence for an arrest and prosecution. From one of the early posts I read that the community doesn't know how to react - they are scared because of the powerful people involved, the florist aren't even getting orders for flowers...

This is the SC good old boy system on full display. I live in and have seen it work many many times. This game of “guess who was driving” is an old way to fight DUI cases as well. I think somebody was very frustrated with this case and acted on their own to get justice, feeling outnumbered by what they perceive, right or not, is a fixed for the rich legal system.

Given the number of officials in SC who have been caught up in corruption and charged, I fully feel like this is what’s happening here.
yup. ppl w money live by special rules.

We should not automatically assume that the murders are connected to the Mallory Beach death. Alex Murdaugh is an attorney who handles personal injury lawsuits (among other sorts of cases), and he's won some big judgements. He may have enemies who are obscure to us.

I absolutely agree. This tragedy has all the elements of an Agatha Christie murder mystery.

We should not automatically assume that the murders are connected to the Mallory Beach death. Alex Murdaugh is an attorney who handles personal injury lawsuits (among other sorts of cases), and he's won some big judgements. He may have enemies who are obscure to us.

I surely agree. With 3 generations of prosecutors, it’s a given that a lot of criminals wouldn’t care much for this family.

I checked wtoc.com and they have an update from about 7 hours ago but nothing really new. Autopsies are scheduled for tomorrow, still mentions no threat to public, and a lot about the boat incident. I have to wonder if LE May be on to something with the lack of updates.

very true. we shouldnt get tunnel vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrebano