SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly possible the killers used the dirt road and the river as a getaway route but navigating that river in the dark would be a challenge as it doesn't look that wide.

It’s a slow moving river surrounded pretty much by swamp, so not easy for sure. At night I would think you better know the area, but not impossible for certain people.
I sure don’t want to be in there at night!

Inside the toxic Murdaugh family of South Carolina

OMG…so much in this article…

‘The civil suit came shortly after Alex had settled another wrongful death claim. In February 2018, 57-year-old Gloria Satterfield died as a result of a “trip and fall,” according to documents obtained by Mandy Matney at FITSNews. Her family settled for $500,000.

Court documents don’t make clear where Satterfield died but local reporting indicates she was a housekeeper for the Murdaughs and that her obituary mentions the family.

Paul Murdaugh.
South Carolina Attorney General'
The Murdaughs have also been relentlessly targeted around town and on social media, without proof, in the haunting death of 19-year-old Stephen Smith. Early on the morning of July 8, 2015, the young gay man from Hampton was found dead in the middle of a rural road outside town. His skull was partially crushed and bloodied. There was a gaping hole in his forehead, and his shoulder had been dislocated.

Stephen’s mother Sandy Smith, 55, who lives in a trailer at the end of a dirt road, told The Post she’s been fighting publiclyfor six years to find out what happened to her son. “I’ll never stop fighting to find out what happened to Stephen,” she said. “He was my rock star.”

The Post reviewed part of a thick police file on the case at her home.

Documents obtained by Matney from the South Carolina Highway Patrol reveal that police received at least one anonymous tip connecting a member of the Murdaugh family to the Stephen Smith case.

Sandy and Todd Proctor, a former South Carolina Highway Patrol detective who was part of a team that investigated Stephen’s death, believe the Murdaughs had some involvement, but the two have no evidence. No one in the family was charged or considered a formal suspect in the case.

Despite her tenacity, few think Sandy will ever find out the truth about what happened to her son.’

Im not a fan of our media and even less a fan of social media…but I find statements in this article very curious.

On one hand, it puts the rumors (and that’s all they are) out in the open, so there is an understanding of some of the hostile, unsympathetic reaction in posts under articles and in FB.

On the other hand, why would someone who is part of the investigating team, supposedly a seasoned detective, believe there is some ‘involvement’…if there is admittedly ‘no evidence?’ That makes no sense.

And why are the M brothers doing TV interviews denying that the family has enemies? If they read enough social media to know PM had threats…they’d have encountered these types of rumors. If they read articles about the boat crash…they’d have read these rumors in comments . If they read articles about the murders, they’d find the same accusations/rumors again.

I agree it is still shockingly close timing from when Paul and his mom were killed and when AM returned home. I am curious what time exactly AM says he arrived. It might have been quite a few minutes before that 10:07pm 911 call.

It was dark outside. When AM reportedly returned home, could he see them in his headlights? or were outdoor flood lights on as he pulled in and he immediately saw them? Or were their bodies out of view behind the kennel structure?

If they were out of view, I would think that AM would have gone inside the home and looked for them, maybe even texted or called, before heading outside to look for them. He might have waited 10 minutes before looking outside. Depending on their outdoor lighting in the kennel area, it may have taken some time to find them.

Here are some images of the property:
https://www.islandpacket.com/latest...ernates/FREE_768/Moselle_GoogleEarth_2014.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQimoLTDrh_ShoMdpXnIWe0oarE5FOT-VMxrw&usqp=CAU

In the first link you posted, for the first time I see what looks like a residence. It’s on the far left at the very bottom of the photo. And at the top of that photo I can see the red roofed structure that we’ve seen so many times. If the large house is indeed their home then it is quite a distance from the dog kennel. What do you all think?

If this was a planned murder, and I believe it was, they came on foot when they got near their intended location. IMO. And then retreated as they came with some mode of transportation to get them out of Dodge ASAP.
Just a thought.

Im not a fan of our media and even less a fan of social media…but I find statements in this article very curious.

On one hand, it puts the rumors (and that’s all they are) out in the open, so there is an understanding of some of the hostile, unsympathetic reaction in posts under articles and in FB.

On the other hand, why would someone who is part of the investigating team, supposedly a seasoned detective, believe there is some ‘involvement’…if there is admittedly ‘no evidence?’ That makes no sense.

And why are the M brothers doing TV interviews denying that the family has enemies? If they read enough social media to know PM had threats…they’d have encountered these types of rumors. If they read articles about the boat crash…they’d have read these rumors in comments . If they read articles about the murders, they’d find the same accusations/rumors again.

I find it hard to believe that when a family member has been a prosecutor or worked for the office as long as this family has, they claim to have no enemies.

In the first link you posted, for the first time I see what looks like a residence. It’s on the far left at the very bottom of the photo. And at the top of that photo I can see the red roofed structure that we’ve seen so many times. If the large house is indeed their home then it is quite a distance from the dog kennel. What do you all think?

If this was a planned murder, and I believe it was, they came on foot when they got near their intended location. IMO. And then retreated as they came with some mode of transportation to get them out of Dodge ASAP.
Just a thought.

If they did come in from the back of the property, they might have come on 4-wheelers. If they killers were hunters, they would've known the trails in and around the Moselle property.

Just a thought.
I agree! I think that may be the house in the far corner of the first link - and it is quite a distance from the house to the other structures.

It would seem that AM had to pass the crime scene on his way to the house so it seems there is a decent chance he would have seen it while driving up.

I find it hard to believe that when a family member has been a prosecutor or worked for the office as long as this family has, they claim to have no enemies.

That’s the biggest red flag out there as far as ‘reality check’. Anytime a case is solved typically one party isn’t happy. To say there are no enemies is questionable at best.

I know, right? That's just the beginning of the giant list of things we don't know
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252203618.html
<modsnip>
I'm going to chalk that one up to the Columbia city police department
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252189783.html
Rather than agencies so "close" with the family

Reposted with lots and lots and lots and lots of mainstem media reporting to verify my statements as fact

Someone doth protest too much, methinks - and it causes some sleuths to become less discouraged than the opposite. Woe for wont of IP data.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, right? That's just the beginning of the giant list of things we don't know
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252203618.html
and the police department is issuing statements about Paul's apartment door being found ajar.
SLED raided Paul Murdaugh's apartment near the University of South Carolina, sources say
I'm going to chalk that one up to the Columbia city police department
Rather than agencies so "close" with the family

Reposted with lots and lots and lots and lots of mainstem media reporting to verify my statements as fact

Someone doth protest too much, methinks - and it causes some sleuths to become less discouraged than the opposite. Woe for wont of IP data.

Thank you for these links, @evilwise.

Included in the links is also the info about the boat passengers and the Beach family voluntarily submitting DNA and much more information. Very interesting!

One of the links provides updates that all occurred yesterday:
"
Very interesting to read one of the updates (I can't access the "letter" because I've used up my free readings of the Island Packet)

It certainly looks as if people are putting information out there themselves to try to get in front of more news articles, especially about the "solicitor" quandary.

Excerpt:

"Friday, 9:01 a.m.: Alex Murdaugh, a Hampton lawyer who told police he discovered the bodies of his wife and son, was “authorized as a volunteer” for the 14th Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s Office, according to a letter obtained by The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette newspapers."

Last edited:
Can we discuss the other 2 deadly cases related to the Murdaugh family?
Mallory Beach already has a quite active thread that has been on my radar but something or someone or some family's representative inspired me to go ahead and start a cold case thread for Stephen Smith
SC - Stephen Smith, 19, Hampton County, Jul 9, 2015 - Reportedly related to Murdaugh murders

Stephen was a Hampton County young man who died violently under confusing circumstances in 2015, an incident widely reported to be connected to the Murdaugh family
<modsnip - not an approved media source>
Edited to add: Paul Murdaugh murder: The OTHER mysterious deaths linked to South Carolina legal dynasty | Daily Mail Online (I personally consider daily mail to be more of a tabloid but I believe it is approved as a source on this forum)
<modsnip> so we can be sure to have lots and lots and lots and lots of mainstream media sources to verify our statements as accurate! We can't be too well documented if we want to be sure that our documentation stays on the record!

I didn't start a thread for Gloria Satterfield since her wrongful death claim has been officially settled as a trip & fall for only half a million dollars.
I know I just put this link in my last post but we gotta have lots of mainstream media sources verifying our statements as fact plus this particular article is quite an interesting read so I especially recommend it.

Last edited:
Paul Murdaugh murder: The OTHER mysterious deaths linked to South Carolina legal dynasty | Daily Mail Online

In 2018, Paul's father Richard 'Alec' Murdaugh, the patriarch of the powerful Lowcountry family of prosecutors and attorneys, settled a wrongful death claim in the 'trip and fall' death of housekeeper Gloria Satterfield, 57.

And in 2015, gay teen Stephen Smith was found dead in the road with horrible injuries in an unsolved case the medical examiner ruled a hit-and-run -- a conclusion cops questioned after receiving tips linking Paul as a person of interest.

No Murdaugh has ever been charged or named as a suspect in the deaths of Stephen or Satterfield, but cops are probing whether their deaths or Mallory's may have driven someone to kill Paul and Maggie in an act of vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces