SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the afternoon of June 8 — a day after the killings — a property manager of the apartment complex found an open door in a unit in that property complex and notified the Columbia police department, according to city police.

Although Columbia police did not say specifically that the open door belonged to Paul Murdaugh, sources told The State that the unit was in fact Murdaugh’s.

“There were no visible signs of forced entry or anyone found inside the residence. Officers secured the door before leaving the scene,” Columbia police department spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article252203618.html#storylink=cpy

Investigators from the State Law Enforcement Division searched a Columbia apartment near the University of South Carolina where the slain Paul Murdaugh was living during the university’s spring semester.

From the article linked by @Knox.

So, they took out a computer at the very least, but was he still living there? The article is rather vague on that, imo.

On the afternoon of June 8 — a day after the killings — a property manager of the apartment complex found an open door in a unit in that property complex and notified the Columbia police department, according to city police.

Although Columbia police did not say specifically that the open door belonged to Paul Murdaugh, sources told The State that the unit was in fact Murdaugh’s.

“There were no visible signs of forced entry or anyone found inside the residence. Officers secured the door before leaving the scene,” Columbia police department spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article252203618.html#storylink=cpy

More twists and turns. Was someone looking for something that he believed Paul to have?

There is no game animal in season in South Carolina in June. Feral hogs and coyotes could be hunted year-round, as they are not protected, but I find it unlikely that he'd be hunting anything in June, as the weather is too hot and humid to enjoy being out hunting, and the biting insects (mosquitoes, deer flies, horseflies, gnats) are so numerous and aggressive....you need to experience that to believe it ( I worked outdoors there, it was Hell in the summer).
Oh yes, the muggyness and insects are horrible in that area!

More twists and turns. Was someone looking for something that he believed Paul to have?

I was also wondering this. In the moments leading up to the murders could he have said “XYZ… is at the apartment”

I wonder if PM’s keys were located at the crime scene.

Note: Compete speculation and thinking out loud.

Last edited:
So...he was not living at home with Mom and Dad? Is the property where mom and son were found a hunting lodge/main residence? I recall them saying there was a beachside home as well?

I'm slightly curious why he would have been with his mom on a Tuesday night at their large estate.

I have college aged kids, and our experience has been that the apartment complexes make them sign a 12 month lease, even though most of the kids go home for the summer. So the kids may live at home during the summer, but still have their apartment at school.

I'm left to wonder if someone was looking for Paul, and tried his apartment first, then went to their hunting lodge when they didn't find him at the apartment.

A few updates in this timeline article:
On Friday, the Solicitor’s Office released a letter to The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette saying Alex Murdaugh, Paul’s father and Maggie’s husband, was an authorized volunteer for the office and was not paid for his work.

Friday, 9:44 a.m.: The S.C. Attorney General’s Office opened an investigation into how police handled the 2019 boat crash that led to charges against Paul Murdaugh for boating under the influence, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Live updates Friday: History of shocking SC murders; Paul Murdaugh’s apartment searched

So...he was not living at home with Mom and Dad? Is the property where mom and son were found a hunting lodge/main residence? I recall them saying there was a beachside home as well?

I'm slightly curious why he would have been with his mom on a Tuesday night at their large estate.
There is their Edisto Beach home, the Moselle lodge, and then the apartment in Columbia for school. His hunting lodge would have been close enough to his apartment that driving down to go hang out with this mom for a while at the lodge would be reasonable. Most kids at USC have their apartments through the summer even if they go home for the summer.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows the addresses of the lodge/home, PM's address, AM's mom address and the hospital where AM took his father.

Or...would anyone be able to do a Google map? It helps to see addresses on a map.

I have college aged kids, and our experience has been that the apartment complexes make them sign a 12 month lease, even though most of the kids go home for the summer. So the kids may live at home during the summer, but still have their apartment at school.

I'm left to wonder if someone was looking for Paul, and tried his apartment first, then went to their hunting lodge when they didn't find him at the apartment.

Either that or could be as simple as his roommate stopped by for something then left and forgot to close the door.

Interesting thought, the updated story says Paul was living in the apartment "during the spring semester". Did he stop by or stay there occasionally, hope we learn those details, and if he had a roommate. The door being found open hours after the murders occurred is sure riveting.

Two properties have been identified as belonging to the M's ...
  1. Moselle in Islandton - hunting lodge/camp where the murders occurred
  2. Beach house in Edisto Beach SC
As stated earlier, PM had an apartment in Columbia near USC. Most likely, he was home to see his other (HS) friends/cousins/brother as college was not in session and not a lot going on around campus. He probably split time between Moselle and Edisto Beach in the summer and happened to be @ Moselle when the murders occurred. I did the same thing in college many moons ago including leaving my apartment door open/unlocked numerous times. Fortunately, that was before laptops & cell phones and I had nothing of value other than to me.

I wonder if this means an unlocked door…or a door that is ajar and therefore caught the attention of the property manager?

The latter situation would seem a lot more ‘curious’ as if someone left in a hurry or maybe even under duress.

Investigators from the State Law Enforcement Division searched a Columbia apartment near the University of South Carolina where the slain Paul Murdaugh was living during the university’s spring semester.

From the article linked by @Knox.

So, they took out a computer at the very least, but was he still living there? The article is rather vague on that, imo.

I can't view the article. Who took the computer? SLED?

NEVERMIND. I found the answer on the previous page.

Last edited:
I wonder if this means an unlocked door…or a door that is ajar and therefore caught the attention of the property manager?

The latter situation would seem a lot more ‘curious’ as if someone left in a hurry or maybe even under duress.
I think the door was open /ajar to get the property manager’s attention and for them to call the police.

I wonder when Paul was last at the apartment. You’d think he’d take his computer with him to the lodge if he was going to be there a while.

Maybe it wasn’t a very long trip - maybe a brief one to see his ailing grandfather.

Or possibly it was the roommate’s computer.

JMO

I’m thinking somebody in the Murdaugh family did not want the court date to happen on the Thursday after the murder where AM was required to list his assets. He had avoided listing his assets in the boating accident trial for 2 years and 3 days later, he was required to provide it to the court. I feel it’s an interesting coincidence that this happened and then the court date was postponed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member