SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to pull the article quote:
“It was Richard Alex who reportedly found the body's of his wife and son around 10pm Monday night. Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene.”

Is it common to be out shooting at that time of night?
I thought it was illegal to hunt at night in SC unless it is during coon season.

That's a pickup truck. They wouldn't drive a luxury sedan back there but I don't know what they use for every day drivers. I guess pickup trucks have become quite luxurious lately so there isn't necessarily a division between status and ruggedness anymore.

Colleton County vehicle records show a Mercedes SUV, Range Rover, and a couple of trucks.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) on Tuesday confirmed that the agency is opening the investigation into the 2015 death of 19-year-old Stephen Smith based on information gathered during the investigation into the shooting deaths of Paul and Margaret Murdaugh.

SLED opening Stephen Smith death investigation based on information gathered in Murdaugh double-homicide case | WCBD News 2

'based on information gathered in Murdaugh double-homicide case...'

:eek::eek::eek:

These are my thoughts as well.

I don't feel AM is going to have any involvement with the deaths, too obvious even for this powerfully connected family. Wasn't there a hearing scheduled or held a few days prior to June 7th when Maggie & Paul were killed? I read that somewhere but don't remember where, so take that as unconfirmed.

Someone may have been convinced justice would never be served and decided to take it into their own hands, JMO. Add- Paul was not a party to the civil case filed by the Beach family. So killing him would not effect the case, it only closes the criminal filing. Maggie would be killed because she could identify the shooter(s).
He was arraigned that morning for the criminal case. It was either that day or the day before.

<snipped & BBM from your link>

In that case, it was immediately apparent Mr. Murdaugh would be a suspect, that his father owned the boat in which those involved were travelling and that other passengers were related to employees of my office.

It was the Dad AM and not the brother that owned the boat, just highlighting that.

Yes, and I believe the civil suit over the incident named AM as a defendant (please correct me, someone, if I got that wrong).

The criminal case is over; the civil suit continues.

Just my opine. I don’t think that the Moselle property is were the Murdaugh’s resided. The home on the property is probably the lodge for hunters. Jmo

In an article about the funeral it said after the funeral people gathered at one of the Murdaughs homes on Moselle. It could be this one was the hunters lodge. I can’t find the link to that article, if I do I will post it.

I thought it was illegal to hunt at night in SC unless it is during coon season.

Shooting doesn't necessarily mean hunting. He could've been at a shooting range (possibly a privately owned one). He might even have a range somewhere on all that property. But, I find myself thinking that since he's an attorney... if he had been responsible for this, to say he was out shooting wouldn't be a lie.

In one of the civil case depositions that have been published (see link below)- an attorney states Paul's brother gave him his ID to use the night of the accident. Maybe that's why brother is named in the suit?
https://publicindex.sccourts.org/Ha...486751741034784574311752117122105101888411569
There is dram shop liability in SC and yes, you are correct, that is why the brother would be named. If you facilitated underage drinking resulting in injury or death, on the face of it, you would be liable based on the current case law.
South Carolina Dram Shop Laws and Social Host Liability for Alcohol-Related Accidents

I'm really furious about how the death of Stephen Smith was handled.It doesn't sound like any effort was given to investigate his very strange death.So if the Murdaugh's weren't killed they wouldn't have done a singlething.His life was just as important as the wealthy family.

I'm really furious about how the death of Stephen Smith was handled.It doesn't sound like any effort was given to investigate his very strange death.So if the Murdaugh's weren't killed they wouldn't have done a singlething.His life was just as important as the wealthy family.

I agree. Stephen wasn't important enough until there was a powerful family involved.
Of course we see this every day here on WS. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads