SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also wondering this. In the moments leading up to the murders could he have said “XYZ… is at the apartment”

I wonder if PM’s keys were located at the crime scene.

Note: Compete speculation and thinking out loud.
It amazes me how many crimes are discovered sooner rather than later simply because the perp didn’t bother to close the door securely upon leaving.

Yes, and I believe the civil suit over the incident named AM as a defendant (please correct me, someone, if I got that wrong).

The criminal case is over; the civil suit continues.
The criminal case was dropped against Paul on receipt of official death certificate. There is continuing investigation into 'obstruction' in the criminal case.

The civil case continues against Father A and brother and the mart where alcohol was purchased. IIRC

Moo

New info on Banfield on guns/gunshot residue - not validated by LE and the source is an unnamed attorney.

Mods please delete if this is not allowed.

thanks for this … she says one weapon was recovered at the crime scene … maybe that’s already known?

she Also says at least one person who was on the boat at the time of the incident that killed Mallory Beach was tested for gunshot residue two days after MM & PM were murdered. She says no info available about whether anything was found, and also notes it wouldn’t seem likely to find it two days later

New info on Banfield on guns/gunshot residue - not validated by LE and the source is an unnamed attorney.

Mods please delete if this is not allowed.

Plenty of bombshells in that reporting if accurate. One gun left at scene. DNA to be compared to DNA regarding Smith death. One boat passenger tested for gun residue. Moselle was used by many people and was loaned out often.

But it’s important to remember that none of these are official statements. The lawyer that contributed the most info would not put his name to the reporting.

Now some questions…

Don’t guns have serial numbers that have to be registered? Seems like that would be a huge break for LE.

I have questions/thoughts about Moselle.

On MM’s FB she links to a post by one of the other Murdaugh brothers..who rents his hunting lodge. He has an unexpected vacancy. He mentions it has an on-site manager. If AM was frequently allowing friends to stay at Moselle certainly he must have had an on-site manager too. The small 2 bedroom home in the utility area would be perfect for housing. So was that person on vacation, no longer employed, out for the evening?

Do these hunting lodges have a gun room where guns and ammunition are stored away from the main lodge? If so, perhaps it was in the utility area near the crime scene…which would give anyone access to guns that technically were registered to the family. If so, the gun removed from the scene might belong to the family but yield DNA, hence the testing. But LE was still looking in the swamp, presumably for another gun.

Has the older brother been tested for DNA…in other words, treated as the other young people around Paul have been treated?

Don’t guns have serial numbers that have to be registered? Seems like that would be a huge break for LE.

On MM’s FB she links to a post by one of the other Murdaugh brothers..who rents his hunting lodge. He has an unexpected vacancy. He mentions it has an on-site manager. If AM was frequently allowing friends to stay at Moselle certainly he must have had an on-site manager too. The small 2 bedroom home in the utility area would be perfect for housing. So was that person on vacation, no longer employed, out for the evening?

Has the older brother been tested for DNA…in other words, treated as the other young people around Paul have been treated?

Respectfully snipped by me ...

Guns do have serial numbers, but the weapon left at the scene could actually belong to the M's. We just don't know.

June is not prime hunting season in SC so I doubt there was an on-site manager present.

Most likely, the older brother has given DNA but once again we just don't know.

JMO

Respectfully snipped by me ...

Guns do have serial numbers, but the weapon left at the scene could actually belong to the M's. We just don't know.

June is not prime hunting season in SC so I doubt there was an on-site manager present.

Most likely, the older brother has given DNA but once again we just don't know.

JMO

I am thinking it might be a full time job…especially if housing is provided. Just can’t imagine a family this wealthy taking care of that place and the dogs at any time of year.

Right now it is only rumor and speculation, but if it should be proven that there was any kind of ‘obstruction of justice’ this won’t just be about the M family. Other people will have to have been party to that obstruction. Many lives could be turned upside down. Perhaps it’s all just gossip, but if not, there will be lots of anxiety in that community. My opinion only of course.

(I used to be a sales clerk at a gun store....) Firearms sold by retailers have their serial numbers recorded on a government-issued form. These are stored by the retailers but are subject to Federal government access at any time. They are considered official government records and must not be destroyed, under penalty of law.

When firearms are sold or exchanged in private (consumer-to-consumer) transfers, serial numbers are not officially recorded.

Don’t guns have serial numbers that have to be registered?

Yes, gun serial numbers can be used to trace a purchaser providing the weapon was purchased from a registered dealer.

Though the registry may technically be linked to required back ground checks, it would still indicate that gun "g" was sold to person "p" in the vast majority of cases.

"Private sale" purchases, however, are exempt back ground checks. Private sellers could include a non licensed individual making a family to family sale, family to friend etc. It can, on occasion, include people who skirt the licensing requirements for dealers by stretching the definition of "occasional sale".

Likewise, "ghost guns" would not be registered by serial number. Ghost guns involve assembling a working weapon from purchased parts (core parts are not completed in the technical sense. Rather, the assembler needs to complete the part with simple tools etc.

But..... the good news in this case is that a significant majority of gun purchases can be traced by serial number.

Last edited:
SC has no laws that require firearm registration afaik.
That only refers to a direct registry of fire arms and their owners.

As Oakie referred to, there is an indirect registry of fire arms and purchasers from licensed dealers.

This may involve retaining paperwork related to required back ground checks which include the name of the person for whom the back ground check was done for and the serial number of the weapon related to the background check.

A rough analogy to SC ban and lack of gun registries would be:

The US does not require national ID cards- and never will! But.... Driver Licenses (try doing anything with out one) and associated data bases are pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:
I am thinking it might be a full time job…especially if housing is provided. Just can’t imagine a family this wealthy taking care of that place and the dogs at any time of year.

Right now it is only rumor and speculation, but if it should be proven that there was any kind of ‘obstruction of justice’ this won’t just be about the M family. Other people will have to have been party to that obstruction. Many lives could be turned upside down. Perhaps it’s all just gossip, but if not, there will be lots of anxiety in that community. My opinion only of course.
BBM: Yes, that's why I am wondering why they were out there on a dark rainy night. Were they running from someone? Which way were their bodies pointed?

Just a thought.

Two vehicles removed probably indicates PM & MM arrived separately. Wonder who arrived first. Has it been said where MM & PM were before they arrived at Moselle. Possible one was killed before the other arrived. Yards apart from each other.? If if if, the killer/s were there when the second murdaugh arrived, they were then shot. I also wonder if they entered the property other then the driveway. 1700 acres across two counties.

Do these hunting lodges have a gun room where guns and ammunition are stored away from the main lodge?

Hunting lodges operated commercially may well have such a gun room and actually mandate its use (strong desire to avoid customer accidents resulting from mishandled weapons).

But.... purely private, non commercial lodges may not have one. Or, if they do, it may not be used alot.

I agree. Stephen wasn't important enough until there was a powerful family involved.
Of course we see this every day here on WS. <modsnip>
Yes, it happened in a town I was brought up in. Many years ago, a guy from a very wealthy family shot his wife, who was leaving him, point blank, in front of 3 solid witnesses and he got 7 1/2 years! Money helps. I'll never forget that case because I had seen the wife the week before attending a wedding I was at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme