SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his motive stemmed from the hearing on June 10th about his financial disclosures for the Boat lawsuit. His financial crimes would have been exposed just like they were exposed after the murders. He would have lost his job and law license and disgraced the Murdaugh legacy. Most important, he would be facing criminal charges for his financial crimes and a lengthy prison sentence and bringing his co-conspirators in those crime crashing down with him. Between the boat lawsuit hearing on the 10th and being confronted by the CFO at the law firm on the 7th, Alex had ran out of ways to cover his tracks. IMO Alex committed the murders to buy more time to scheme his way out of the financial crisis he was in.

Also on June 7th, he found out at the exact moment of financial comeuppance confrontation at the firm that his father was terminal. That had to open, in his mind, a whole nuther can of worms as far as finances. AM had gotten his fathers name and money involved in his financial misdeeds also. AJMO

Yes

His fathers death would also leave money/property to him unless it would be on one of the murdaughs trust.

Jmo

Prosecutors say Alex Murdaugh wrote a total of 437 checks to Smith over an eight year period for more than $2.5 million. The checks, all under $10,000 to avoid banks having to report the amounts and draw attention to the scheme, would then allegedly be cashed by Smith. He would get some of the money, the rest would be given back to Murdaugh.

“It did go to the Oxycodone distribution network that Mr. Smith was a big part of,” said Waters. “There is substantial evidence that money is cashed out from these transactions that Mr. Smith participated in. there is a substantial amount of cash unaccounted for that passed through Mr. Smith’s hands.”
It makes one wonder if it was not just an addiction AM was involved with but the business side too. I've often wondered if thete are off-shore accounts, not yet found, full of money.

Yes, I saw that. Seems like Waters wants the court to hear evidence about who was present and then issue a ruling that there is no attorney client privilege so that he can get AM's former law partners, who were allegedly present for the discussion, to tell him what was said. Then Waters can decide whether to call them as witnesses before the jury. (Based on what was said in court it seems like AM, some of his family, some of his law partners, and Jim Griffin may have been present for the discussion). JMO.
And the Prosecution is also saying that, as there were many people, not just his lawyers, in the room at the time, there is No Privilege, and must be allowed to testify. One commentator said they think his lawyer/friend who has already testified, and is cooperating with LE, was in the room and reported exactly who was there at the time. This is going to be very long, as there are potentially a bunch of cases within this one. So convoluted. What is also Nuts, is the Jury can not take Notes! NUTS! Who could remember all the minutia being testified to...I feel so sorry for the Jury.

I’m skeptical of the whole drug thing tho I can attest that some addicts can function just fine, mainly when the supply is there. AM would have had the money to support it but I’d love to see some tests or confirmation from his inner circle. I’m sure they would know.
I believe the whole drug thing was just a ruse to quickly get him into a rehab where he was protected from police arrest. He needed more time to strategize his stay out of jail plan. IMO....AM was too highly functional to have been an opioid addict for all the years he claimed.

IMO money, money, money!. The scheming tentacles in AM's mind were already affecting everything he touched. His track record including fake suicide/someone trying to kill him were just a precursor to the deaths of family members.
I also wonder if Maggie, who owned properties Am had transferred to her name, like the beach property refused to let him use those to finance 'whatever' going forward. I have known a business owner who put the Company in his wife's name, as he was not legally allowed to own it(criminal misdeeds), as he could control her, so not an uncommon practice. There are so many possible reasons, but Money is involved in whatever finally triggered him to do this. OTOH, IF he did not commit the murders, he is definitely guilty of years and years defrauding his own company, as well as friends, Banks, etc.
I also heard someone say that he may be trying some shenanigans to assure he gets into Federal Prison, rather than the General Population, where he truly belongs.

I believe the whole drug thing was just a ruse to quickly get him into a rehab where he was protected from police arrest. He needed more time to strategize his stay out of jail plan. IMO....AM was too highly functional to have been an opioid addict for all the years he claimed.
I agree. The only possible support for his claim is that when he supposedly was shot while fixing a flat tire, and went to the hospital, he then was transferred to a Rehab for his drug use. I assume they did blood tests to show drugs in his system, BUT I also know that if you are in the Emergency Room and claim you wish to commit suicide, they will put you in Rehab as well. So confusing and frustrating. South Carolina is Very loosey goosey about guns, basically no laws as I understand it, but in some states(NE for sure) anyone with a Mental Health/Drugs included, are banned from owning a gun. This will be made into a Movie at some point.

I agree. The only possible support for his claim is that when he supposedly was shot while fixing a flat tire, and went to the hospital, he then was transferred to a Rehab for his drug use. I assume they did blood tests to show drugs in his system, BUT I also know that if you are in the Emergency Room and claim you wish to commit suicide, they will put you in Rehab as well. So confusing and frustrating. South Carolina is Very loosey goosey about guns, basically no laws as I understand it, but in some states(NE for sure) anyone with a Mental Health/Drugs included, are banned from owning a gun. This will be made into a Movie at some point.

That's why I think it must have been gambling
I absolutely agree. Someone yesterday said he has acclimated to prison, playing gambling games...What amazes me is that the Bank just handed over thousands of dollars to him with no collateral at all! None of us would be treated like that. I've always heard South Carolina was like another country, but here is the proof. Sickening.

Last edited:
Murdaugh's firm called Wilson on Sept. 3, 2021, and told them how Murduagh used his trust to steal money. Wilson said they met the next day and Murdaugh told him he was sorry, he had been addicted to drugs to 20 years and screwed up a lot of people's lives.

Humans are complicated, and we rarely do things for one isolated reason. I think using the expression, "the motive" always oversimplifies what is happening in the mind of a criminal. Money, time, accountability, shame, anger are all in the mix in this one. I think A had reasons to resent M and P and I see some of that leaking out in his interviews. It was not a perfect storm; it was not the sh** hitting the fan. The fan was made of sh** and people were being hurled into it.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 / 07:36 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 17, 2022 / 12:44 PM EDT

At the start of the month, the Satterfield family got a $4.3 million settlement in a civil lawsuit against Murdaugh, who in March confessed to diverting millions awarded to the family in a wrongful death settlement to his own accounts.

The Murtaugh family should not be allowed to sell Any of their properties Until All AM's debts are paid-including the lawsuits still pending IMPOV.

I think his motive stemmed from the hearing on June 10th about his financial disclosures for the Boat lawsuit. His financial crimes would have been exposed just like they were exposed after the murders. He would have lost his job and law license and disgraced the Murdaugh legacy. Most important, he would be facing criminal charges for his financial crimes and a lengthy prison sentence and bringing his co-conspirators in those crime crashing down with him. Between the boat lawsuit hearing on the 10th and being confronted by the CFO at the law firm on the 7th, Alex had ran out of ways to cover his tracks. IMO Alex committed the murders to buy more time to scheme his way out of the financial crisis he was in.

“He killed his wife and son to buy more time?”

Killing his family solved nothing. In fact it threw gas on the fire.
The jury needs to have access to the full picture so that they can see why AM was in a desperate situation and was also making other irrational decisions.

I’d love to know what the people at that rehab, who obviously deal with heavy addictions all the time, thought of his detox. That’s not an easy time for true addicts to suffer thru.

I wish I knew how to bring a video from Nancy Grace here I listened today and she said that Maggie was shot point blank was burnt from stippling . Hadn’t heard that before. I’m thinking both victims had to be closed coffins. How sad.

I just saw a little of Tony’s testimony, and my Mama instincts came out hard. I wanted to comfort and protect that child for sure, even If he is a young man now (i have sons his age.) my question is, DID they actually get the money? i thought they only got the settlement. Then I read that they planned to use the settlement money to help others, but not sure that they ever actually got any. I pray that this testimony helps him heal from being a victim of AM and helps him feel he has been vindicated, even as the emotional pain remains.
Yes, they were paid 5 years later in June 2022. One of the few things that AM admitted to in his life.

It is a Federal law that anyone who is found to be mentally defective cannot own a firearm.

South Carolina state law says:
§ 16-23-30

It is unlawful for a person to knowingly sell, offer to sell, deliver, lease, rent, barter, exchange, or transport for sale into this State any handgun to:

A person who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent; or

A person who by order of a circuit judge or county court judge of this State has been adjudged unfit to carry or possess a firearm.

§ 44-23-1080

No patient or prisoner under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Mental Health is allowed access to firearms or dangerous weapons.

There is no such thing as states having basically "no laws" against guns. Every single state has gun laws, and all have to follow the federal laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeBloom