SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I understand. I just think that the state has an uphill battle here and it’s not going to be easy to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is responsible. Also, the judge hasn’t decided if this financial crime testimony will be allowed to be heard by the jury at this point. I think the judge will allow it, but if he doesn’t, I can’t see AM getting convicted based on the evidence already presented IMO
I think the video placing him with Maggie and Paul at the kennels minutes before they were murdered, plus other evidence we haven't even heard yet is enough to convict him personally.

It's interesting to see everyone's thoughts.

MOO

“He killed his wife and son to buy more time?”

Killing his family solved nothing. In fact it threw gas on the fire.
The jury needs to have access to the full picture so that they can see why AM was in a desperate situation and was also making other irrational decisions.
Maggie and Paul's death halted the CFO at the law firm from looking further into their records for a few months. Alex staged a fake suicide attempt to buy more time, he was obviously desperate and grasping at straws to scheme his way out of his financial crisis. IMO, Alex knew Maggie and Paul's deaths would not get him out of his financial trouble but it could possibly pause the fiancial disclosures for the lawsuit until Maggie's estate was settled and until his father's estate was settled. That pause would also give Alex more time to try to right the books at the bank and perhaps make some sort of deal with his brothers or the law firm partners to help him make the trust accounts whole and he would resign. The CFO testified Alex's misuse of funds was overlooked if he returned the money. It's possible blaming an opiod addiction for his financial crimes would get his brother/partners on board to help ? Would the law firm's insurance cover the finanical loss caused by the actions of an attorney's opiod addiction ? Would his brothers/partners want to help him to protect the lawfirm's reputation ?

Susan Smith murdered her boys in an attempt to keep her boyfriend. Casey Anthony murdered Caylee because she interferred with her partying. Chris Watts killed his family for a single life without losing $ in a divorce. I have no problem believing Alex murdered Maggie and Paul to buy more time to scheme his way out of his finanical mess.

I think the video placing him with Maggie and Paul at the kennels minutes before they were murdered, plus other evidence we haven't even heard yet is enough to convict him personally.

It's interesting to see everyone's thoughts.

MOO

I agree and I’m interested to see a work around that the defense will try and spin for the video and clothes. I just don’t feel like this was planned out by a lawyer but more like hastily covered up by one.

Because the conversations relate to the murders (possibly motive?), the prosecution wants third parties at the meeting to testify about what Alex said.

What did Alex say three days after the murders? He's in financial trouble with his law office and his wife and son just turned up dead. Did he say: don't worry, life insurance covers the $792,000 corporate fraud debt? Between his dead father, wife and son, he was in the money?
Are we to think AM would confess or implicate himself to his friends, relatives or law partners at that meeting so soon after the murders? He was confronted by the CFO, but did he tell anyone about that so soon after that confrontation? Will this info just muddy the waters and confuse the jury??

I think it is about getting A's story, at the time, on the record. Tracking the changes to his story highlights the shapeshifting going on. The truth does not change, but a lie...

I also think that we can see a purpose to the lies. The purpose is what points us to the truth.

Are we to think AM would confess or implicate himself to his friends, relatives or law partners at that meeting so soon after the murders? He was confronted by the CFO, but did he tell anyone about that so soon after that confrontation? Will this info just muddy the waters and confuse the jury??
Not sure. At this time, it sounds like the prosecutor wants to know what was discussed. Perhaps it's nothing. I think that Alex said something that the prosecutor may want to use to demonstrate a financial motive for the murders.

The Murtaugh family should not be allowed to sell Any of their properties Until All AM's debts are paid-including the lawsuits still pending IMPOV.

The assets of both AM and MM's estate have been under the control of the court. Here, the court previously granted permission to sell their properties (Edisto and Moselle) to ready buyers because there was NO CASH to satisfy the legal settlements in the making.

For example, at death, Probate Court revealed MM had $56 to her name! The court had to grant the sale of Edisto and Moselle to satisfy debts including the Mallory Beach Wrongful Death Claim against MM's Estate after the parties realized every passing day without reaching a settlement meant accruing additional court receiver fees on top of legal fees and soon there would be little cash to distribute to the plaintiffs.

Appending my quoted post after finding a later-dated or more current news link.

While it appears the court upheld the $5 sale of Moselle to MM, it does not erase the fact that at her death, MM had no liquidity: She had real estate valued at $4M which was encumbered with more than $2M in loans. $111K assets including her $85K Mercedes SUV. MM had $56 to her name-- and $4K that was shared with AM & BM.

I don't know how MM could pay for groceries. Must have put everything on credit cards and AM paid the bills.

Attorney breaks down Margaret Murdaugh’s estate appraisal

Did MM & PM have life insurance? I was under the impression they didn’t.
I believe OP was speculating. The probate reported no life insurance (*i.e., non-probate inventory or estate named as the beneficiary) for the victims.

The $792K was repaid not from life insurance proceeds but by monies advanced from AM's friendly banker and his former BFF, Chris Wilson.

ETA: *

Last edited:
It is a Federal law that anyone who is found to be mentally defective cannot own a firearm.

South Carolina state law says:
§ 16-23-30

It is unlawful for a person to knowingly sell, offer to sell, deliver, lease, rent, barter, exchange, or transport for sale into this State any handgun to:

A person who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent; or

A person who by order of a circuit judge or county court judge of this State has been adjudged unfit to carry or possess a firearm.

§ 44-23-1080

No patient or prisoner under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Mental Health is allowed access to firearms or dangerous weapons.

There is no such thing as states having basically "no laws" against guns. Every single state has gun laws, and all have to follow the federal laws.
Thank you for the clarification, but I have a relative who, because she was a Mental Health patient, was not allowed to own a gun in NJ, so she said she moved to SC, so she could buy one and shoot whatever...

Not sure. At this time, it sounds like the prosecutor wants to know what was discussed. Perhaps it's nothing. I think that Alex said something that the prosecutor may want to use to demonstrate a financial motive for the murders.
Pretty sure that someone at that meeting told the Prosecutor about the Meeting, and what was said.

My heart breaks for those boys. Tony was obviously so nervous and uncomfortable on the stand yesterday. I am torn on the exhumation, they were made whole financially from Alex's theft. If they truly don't believe there was foul play, I wouldn't put the family through that process.

MOO
My impression is that there is more to the story and EB can't say so right now. I know people who know people. OMO.

SLED isn't going to waste time and resources on an investigation without some substantive reasons. MOO.

P.S. Tony did do a super job on the stand and like so many of you my heart breaks for those boys and their family. God bless them all.

I believe OP was speculating. The probate reported no life insurance for the victims. The $792K was repaid not from life insurance proceeds but by monies advanced from AM's friendly banker and his former BFF, Chris Wilson.
Probate goes through the County Court, while Life Insurance does not, as it is outside the Will, delivered directly by the Insurance Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzrowdy