SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only my opinion but most guys that have farms, land in country
have a gun within reach at barn, shed in case of coyotes or prey comes around
For sure my father always had a " Barn weapon" or two. Born and raised in South Dakota then moving to Missouri in my teen years, can't remember not seeing weapons in the garage, barn and gun racks in the trucks.

I’ve been reading about this case since day one. It’s not often we see a case that feels like a novel. So interesting. I’m getting turned around though regarding the motive. What do you guys think is the motive for AM to kill MM & PM?
IMO money, money, money!. The scheming tentacles in AM's mind were already affecting everything he touched. His track record including fake suicide/someone trying to kill him were just a precursor to the deaths of family members.

If you believe someone outside the family (without AMs input) killed PM and MM think about this - why in the world would a murderer(s) come to KILL (brutally kill) two people who own a gun arsenal usually at the ready and not bring their own weapons to the battle. They didn’t even bring a knife to a gun fight! It makes NO sense to me. Rather, why would a man use his own guns to shoot his family - availability, new gun purchase tracking, if he borrows a gun, he runs the risk of having them testify. But if a missing gun suddenly appears and it presents an opportunity… But said gun is not the right gun for say short range and long range possibilities, well then you know there is a gun handy (or you make it handy) now that makes more sense to me and all the while you say in your defense there were two shooters. Come on!
Agreed as if the shooter knew what and who he was dealing with. The odds of someone just strolling in and start shooting at a ranch/ gun range is a stretch, basically walking into a fire fight from all around you and your in the kill box.

Today the lawyer for Gloria’s sons said that the exhumation hasn’t happened yet!

My heart breaks for those boys. Tony was obviously so nervous and uncomfortable on the stand yesterday. I am torn on the exhumation, they were made whole financially from Alex's theft. If they truly don't believe there was foul play, I wouldn't put the family through that process.

MOO

One more thing and then back to bed. If the state isn’t allowed by the judge to present the financial crimes to the jury then how are they going to prove motive? This seems like a risky move for the prosecution. Thoughts?
The State is not required to provide a motive in a trial, just that defendant is guilty of the crimes in which he is accused beyond a reasonable doubt. Of course everyone wants to know the why in any case.

The State here has argued that the culmination of Alex's previous 'bad acts', financial misdeeds are the motive to Maggie and Paul's deaths that night in order to get them admitted into evidence.

moo

I'm won't be surprised if the defense doesn't infer that he's a victim of entrapment. If his law firm along with the bank wouldn't have made it so easy for him, he wouldn't have done it. It was the bank and the law firm that didn't catch him and therefore, in his mind, encouraged the behavior. jmo
I honestly don't think that theory would float well. moo

He had the boat accident on his back.
He borrowed money against a house that wasn’t his.
He owed taxes on beach house.
He had two boys in college.

June 4 he leaves hearing on beach lawsuit not having financial records he was suppose to, rescheduled for june 10.
June 7 AM asked about missing money T law firm.
June 7 Maggie & Paul murdered.
June 10 RM dies.

Jmo

My heart breaks for those boys. Tony was obviously so nervous and uncomfortable on the stand yesterday. I am torn on the exhumation, they were made whole financially from Alex's theft. If they truly don't believe there was foul play, I wouldn't put the family through that process.
I just saw a little of Tony’s testimony, and my Mama instincts came out hard. I wanted to comfort and protect that child for sure, even If he is a young man now (i have sons his age.) my question is, DID they actually get the money? i thought they only got the settlement. Then I read that they planned to use the settlement money to help others, but not sure that they ever actually got any. I pray that this testimony helps him heal from being a victim of AM and helps him feel he has been vindicated, even as the emotional pain remains.

Yup.
JG kept trying to get the witness to agree that his field is just art...not science. I was thinking Greer could use a medical doctor as an analogy, indicating that even medicine, considered a science, has some elements of art, but that doesn't mean you can't get a diagnosis.

Then is re-cross by prosecution, Greer indicated that there is much to learn not only in the program, but through experience on the job, "kind of like an intern in medicine". JG bolted up out of his seat, but was quickly overruled. LOL
Reminds me of the time I was launching new product materials and had a week long meeting with President, VP's, Sales, Engineering all trying to agree whether to brand the service as an "Art" or a "Science". The most miserable week of my life I tell 'ya, never could get them all to agree.

We went with Science because there were proven measurables at the end. I guess we'll see what the jury thinks.

moo

I just saw a little of Tony’s testimony, and my Mama instincts came out hard. I wanted to comfort and protect that child for sure, even If he is a young man now (i have sons his age.) my question is, DID they actually get the money? i thought they only got the settlement. Then I read that they planned to use the settlement money to help others, but not sure that they ever actually got any. I pray that this testimony helps him heal from being a victim of AM and helps him feel he has been vindicated, even as the emotional pain remains.
<snipped>

The law firm of Bland Richter, LLP is pleased to announce on behalf of the Estate of Gloria Satterfield (“Estate”) that on Friday, October 1, 2021, a settlement was reached with attorney Cory Fleming, his law firm Moss, Kuhn, and Fleming and their insurance carrier in connection with the pending lawsuit. Mr. Fleming and his firm agreed that the Estate will be paid back all legal fees and expenses Mr. Fleming and his law firm received from the $4,300,000 they recovered for the Estate in connection with the claims asserted against Alex Murdaugh for the death of Gloria Satterfield. In addition, their malpractice insurance carrier agreed to pay to the Estate their full policy limits of insurance.

Law firm agrees to give settlement money back to Satterfield family

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 / 07:36 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 17, 2022 / 12:44 PM EDT

At the start of the month, the Satterfield family got a $4.3 million settlement in a civil lawsuit against Murdaugh, who in March confessed to diverting millions awarded to the family in a wrongful death settlement to his own accounts.

The State is not required to provide a motive in a trial, just that defendant is guilty of the crimes in which he is accused beyond a reasonable doubt. Of course everyone wants to know the why in any case.

The State here has argued that the culmination of Alex's previous 'bad acts', financial misdeeds are the motive to Maggie and Paul's deaths that night in order to get them admitted into evidence.

moo
Yes, I understand. I just think that the state has an uphill battle here and it’s not going to be easy to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is responsible. Also, the judge hasn’t decided if this financial crime testimony will be allowed to be heard by the jury at this point. I think the judge will allow it, but if he doesn’t, I can’t see AM getting convicted based on the evidence already presented IMO

AM made a 6 digit salary and was struggling for cash. I know they lived well, but was their money siphoning off somewhere else? Gambling? Blackmail? Something more than an opioid addiction was at play. JMO
I think he must have been gambling, if it was all on drugs he would have OD'd long ago, AJMO

Don’t make sense to me, lawfirm vehicle, insurance paid/gas credit card probably, moselle had no mortgage till he borrowed money against it. Edisto paid for, was in rears on taxes.

After murders someone paid murdaugh for property that they owed almost a million for.

End of year bonuses at firm iirc close to million.

It doesnt make sense. Jmo
That's why I think it must have been gambling

Prosecutors say Alex Murdaugh wrote a total of 437 checks to Smith over an eight year period for more than $2.5 million. The checks, all under $10,000 to avoid banks having to report the amounts and draw attention to the scheme, would then allegedly be cashed by Smith. He would get some of the money, the rest would be given back to Murdaugh.

“It did go to the Oxycodone distribution network that Mr. Smith was a big part of,” said Waters. “There is substantial evidence that money is cashed out from these transactions that Mr. Smith participated in. there is a substantial amount of cash unaccounted for that passed through Mr. Smith’s hands.”

He had the boat accident on his back.
He borrowed money against a house that wasn’t his.
He owed taxes on beach house.
He had two boys in college.

June 4 he leaves hearing on beach lawsuit not having financial records he was suppose to, rescheduled for june 10.
June 7 AM asked about missing money T law firm.
June 7 Maggie & Paul murdered.
June 10 RM dies.

Jmo
Also on June 7th, he found out at the exact moment of financial comeuppance confrontation at the firm that his father was terminal. That had to open, in his mind, a whole nuther can of worms as far as finances. AM had gotten his fathers name and money involved in his financial misdeeds also. AJMO

Yes, I understand. I just think that the state has an uphill battle here and it’s not going to be easy to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is responsible. Also, the judge hasn’t decided if this financial crime testimony will be allowed to be heard by the jury at this point. I think the judge will allow it, but if he doesn’t, I can’t see AM getting convicted based on the evidence already presented IMO
For some reason I have not followed this case closely but from what knowledge I have, if the judge does not allow this testimony re: financials, the state will lose this case- as it is, to me, it is going to be difficult to convince a jury that financial crime caused him to kill his wife and son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeBloom