SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Court is back after a short break.

Photos from yesterday, via the pool. 1. Prosecutor John Meadors questions Murdaugh cargiver Shelley Smith 2. The blue rain jacket 3. Alex Murdaugh's sneakers from the night of the slayings.

1. Defense attorney Phillip Barber cross-examines Beach family attorney Mark Tinsley in a testy exchange 2. Photo of the Murdaugh credit card statement that includes a $1,021.10 transaction at Gucci that someone encircled.

Investigators found that statement in the trash near the crime scene. The state mentioned this statement and the Gucci transaction earlier in the trial, didn't explain its relevance and hasn't mentioned it since.

Waters is now running through legal settlement/judgment disbursement sheets for the jury. We did this last week, but now the jury is seeing just how many cases in which Alex Murdaugh stole from his clients.

In each of these cases, Waters is asking Seckinger what happened to the client's money. “Alex had stolen the money,” Seckinger said once. “We paid every cent of it back … because Alex stole it,” Seckinger testified another time.

Waters on another case: “Did any recovery of this case actually go to the client?” Seckinger: “In that one, none of it went to the client.”

Waters finishes his questioning of Parker Law Group CFO Jeanne Seckinger with the same question he tried with Paul’s friend Rogan Gibson. “Did you really know Alex Murdaugh?” This time it lands. Seckinger: “I don’t think I ever really knew him. I don’t think anybody knows him.”

Griffin is up to cross-examine Seckinger now. He asks Newman to remind the jurors that the sole purpose of all this financial stuff is to help the state prove motive - not Murdaugh's propensity for criminality or evidence of his character.

Griffin establishes with Seckinger that partners at Murdaugh's old firm had to pay out more than $5 million to his victims to reimburse them for what Murdaugh stole.

After a number of questions, Griffin establishes with Seckinger that she didn’t confront Murdaugh on the morning of 6/7/21 with allegations he stole money - just that he might have been trying to shield it from disclosure in the Beach boat crash case.

Griffin: “That was the concern and alarm within the firm, is that we’re not going to participate in any way to shield, hide income from civil disclosure in a court proceeding.” Seckinger: “That’s correct.”

Seckinger later: “I had my suspicions about whether it was really in there, but we were not pursuing it as stolen money.”

Griffin is establishing that Seckinger backed off her inquiry on the morning of 6/7/21 when she learned Murdaugh’s father was in the hospital with a terminal prognosis. Seckinger confirms. She said she had told Murdaugh what info she needed from him regarding the fees.

Griffin asks Seckinger how long PMPED backed off its inquiry about the missing $792K in legal fees. S: “It stopped for a period of time.” G: “How long?” S: “A couple weeks.” G: “A couple of weeks.” S: “Maybe a month.”

Griffin is trying to show the death of Alex’s father, Randolph III, had already turned Alex into a victim of tragedy and bought him up to a month to come up with the missing fees and cover up his crimes. The inference is that Alex didn’t need to then kill Maggie/Paul to do that.

Griffin asks about how evidence of Murdaugh's thefts were in PMPED's records for years. Seckinger: I had no reason to suspect something was going on. We had no clients complaining about missing money. We had no reason to look.

Griffin seizes on that last part. He repeats that clients weren’t calling the firm up to demand their money until after all this came out. That wasn’t going on 6/7/21, so Alex wasn’t under any pressure about that on the date of the slayings, he says.

Seckinger testifies that she ran a report in the PMPED firm’s ledger on 9/2/21 and discovered years’ of Murdaugh’s thefts via the “fake Forge” account. She presented her findings to the top partners on 9/3/21, the same day they confronted Alex Murdaugh and made him resign.

Griffin finishes his cross-examination. Waters is back up on redirect now.

Griffin on recross establishes with Seckinger that it wasn’t until September that PMPED discovered the check that led to the “fake Forge” inquiry and revelations and then Murdaugh’s ouster.

Griffin says the $792K in missing legal fees - which Murdaugh was confronted about 6/7/21 - was a “one-off” compared to everything else the firm found after the slayings. Seckinger steps down. We are breaking for lunch. Back at 2:40 p.m

Judge reminds jury that financial crimes testimony is allowed for jury to consider motives for crimes for which AM has been charged...
*murder, two counts
*possession of weapon during commission of a crime, two counts.
moo

I live in SC. At a recent party, the question was asked…would you ever knowingly hire anyone associated with a Murdaugh and/or his firm? The answers were all resounding NOs!
In my opinion, too many eyes are on them now. There will be a tendency to protect oneself, ones own reputation and livelihood by making sure THEY are held to a very strict standard whether in court, at the Bank, etc.

In order to give no appearance of influence, they may sometimes be denied if the matter is a close call.

I think RM is not coming to court because he is the only sibling still in the family business and he’s trying to separate himself. I doubt BM will follow through with a law career. The good ole boy network may still survive but its existence is front and center, undeniable. That makes things more complicated for all. I am sure they blame AM.
\
And, IMO, the Murdaugh name is now toxic and its power evaporated.

Court is back after a short break.

Photos from yesterday, via the pool. 1. Prosecutor John Meadors questions Murdaugh cargiver Shelley Smith 2. The blue rain jacket 3. Alex Murdaugh's sneakers from the night of the slayings.

1. Defense attorney Phillip Barber cross-examines Beach family attorney Mark Tinsley in a testy exchange 2. Photo of the Murdaugh credit card statement that includes a $1,021.10 transaction at Gucci that someone encircled.

Investigators found that statement in the trash near the crime scene. The state mentioned this statement and the Gucci transaction earlier in the trial, didn't explain its relevance and hasn't mentioned it since.

Waters is now running through legal settlement/judgment disbursement sheets for the jury. We did this last week, but now the jury is seeing just how many cases in which Alex Murdaugh stole from his clients.

In each of these cases, Waters is asking Seckinger what happened to the client's money. “Alex had stolen the money,” Seckinger said once. “We paid every cent of it back … because Alex stole it,” Seckinger testified another time.

Waters on another case: “Did any recovery of this case actually go to the client?” Seckinger: “In that one, none of it went to the client.”

Waters finishes his questioning of Parker Law Group CFO Jeanne Seckinger with the same question he tried with Paul’s friend Rogan Gibson. “Did you really know Alex Murdaugh?” This time it lands. Seckinger: “I don’t think I ever really knew him. I don’t think anybody knows him.”

Griffin is up to cross-examine Seckinger now. He asks Newman to remind the jurors that the sole purpose of all this financial stuff is to help the state prove motive - not Murdaugh's propensity for criminality or evidence of his character.

Griffin establishes with Seckinger that partners at Murdaugh's old firm had to pay out more than $5 million to his victims to reimburse them for what Murdaugh stole.

After a number of questions, Griffin establishes with Seckinger that she didn’t confront Murdaugh on the morning of 6/7/21 with allegations he stole money - just that he might have been trying to shield it from disclosure in the Beach boat crash case.

Griffin: “That was the concern and alarm within the firm, is that we’re not going to participate in any way to shield, hide income from civil disclosure in a court proceeding.” Seckinger: “That’s correct.”

Seckinger later: “I had my suspicions about whether it was really in there, but we were not pursuing it as stolen money.”

Griffin is establishing that Seckinger backed off her inquiry on the morning of 6/7/21 when she learned Murdaugh’s father was in the hospital with a terminal prognosis. Seckinger confirms. She said she had told Murdaugh what info she needed from him regarding the fees.

Griffin asks Seckinger how long PMPED backed off its inquiry about the missing $792K in legal fees. S: “It stopped for a period of time.” G: “How long?” S: “A couple weeks.” G: “A couple of weeks.” S: “Maybe a month.”

Griffin is trying to show the death of Alex’s father, Randolph III, had already turned Alex into a victim of tragedy and bought him up to a month to come up with the missing fees and cover up his crimes. The inference is that Alex didn’t need to then kill Maggie/Paul to do that.

Griffin asks about how evidence of Murdaugh's thefts were in PMPED's records for years. Seckinger: I had no reason to suspect something was going on. We had no clients complaining about missing money. We had no reason to look.

Griffin seizes on that last part. He repeats that clients weren’t calling the firm up to demand their money until after all this came out. That wasn’t going on 6/7/21, so Alex wasn’t under any pressure about that on the date of the slayings, he says.

Seckinger testifies that she ran a report in the PMPED firm’s ledger on 9/2/21 and discovered years’ of Murdaugh’s thefts via the “fake Forge” account. She presented her findings to the top partners on 9/3/21, the same day they confronted Alex Murdaugh and made him resign.

Griffin finishes his cross-examination. Waters is back up on redirect now.

Griffin on recross establishes with Seckinger that it wasn’t until September that PMPED discovered the check that led to the “fake Forge” inquiry and revelations and then Murdaugh’s ouster.

Griffin says the $792K in missing legal fees - which Murdaugh was confronted about 6/7/21 - was a “one-off” compared to everything else the firm found after the slayings. Seckinger steps down. We are breaking for lunch. Back at 2:40 p.m
I don't see any dates on the credit card statement that was put in to evidence with the Gucci purchase circled. Can't tell when the purchase occurred.

In some states, trust funds are legislated by the State. From what I can tell by listening to the testimony, apparently it is not legislated in South Carolina, or legislated differently than the State in which I work. I work in the legal industry (NON-ATTORNEY). In my State, misappropriation of trust funds whether intentional or not, can lead to disbarment of all partners/lawyers. Comingling of funds in another account due to an error in the deposit is supposed to be self reported to the State bar. Attorney's fees and trust funds are not the same thing. Trust funds can be attorney fees, but they are the client's money until they are earned, thus the high level of legislative authority. It is disturbing to see just how blatantly the clients' funds were abused.

AM is a trial lawyer, and the majority of his cases are handled with a contingency % paid to the attorney as fees IF the case is won/settled. IMO, in general, these clients are usually destitute, and not knowledgeable of how the court system handles, and specifically, not well versed in how these cases are settled. It is very sad to me the number of people who have been taken advantage of, not just in this case, but in general, due to their lack of knowledge.

So many people deserve justice in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties