SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have moved way back. Probably do not want Buster to be filmed. My guess

I’ve been wondering how the relationship with those media folks and Buster is. When I was in the media I was always careful, even in a public place, and often talked to people and tried to let them know I wasn’t being a jerk. Other than the jury, people aren’t protected from photos but it can be approached in different ways.

I understand these get up and stretch moments but also wonder what about the jury possibly hearing something they shouldn't when the whole courtroom starts chatting loudly. Just saying.

Security is in the house!

Security is tight at the Alex Murdaugh murder trial in Walterboro​

At peak times, when Alex Murdaugh is arriving and leaving the courthouse, there can be upwards of 24 security personnel inside and outside the building.

During regular hours of the day, there are about a dozen security personnel inside and half a dozen outside.

It’s been testified to that AM went to his parents house that night to check on mom. He calls the caregiver to let him in. Does he not have a key?
But if you use a key, you miss out on the reaction of the person/people you need to alibi you, and the call in the phone log verifying that you were there.

Court is back in session after a fruitful search for lunch and a fruitless search for bombs. The jury is returning to the courtroom.

State prosecutor John Conrad is questioning the state's 38th witness, SLED computer crimes agent Brian Hudak.

Hudak testifies he removed the "infotainment" system and On-Star module from Alex Murdaugh's 2021 Chevy Suburban, which he drove to the crime scene on the night of the slayings. SLED didn't have the tools necessary to analyze those things, so he sent them off for examination.

Little chain of custody witnessing there. Hudak steps down after just a few minutes.

The state's 39th witness is Dwight Falkofske, FBI electronics engineer in the electronic device analysis unit. He extracts data from automotive systems and puts them into a readable format.

If I were a gambling man, and I can assure you I am not, I would put my entire bank account on this analysis having something to do with telling us about Alex Murdaugh's movements and whereabouts on the evening of 6/7/21.

Falkofske testifies the data on Murdaugh’s work-issued Chevy Suburban was encrypted, meaning it could not be unlocked and read without a "key." He testifies that is rare for vehicles. But the FBI broke into it anyway after “approximately one year.”

Falkofske said the FBI found call logs, contact lists and “a little bit of location data” in Murdaugh’s Suburban.

Falkofske testifies the FBI also found data indicating the “state” of the 2021 Suburban, including whether the car was moving, whether doors were open or closed, whether windows were up or down, etc. This is why I typically own terrible, old, cheap cars. Among other reasons.

Good luck learning anything useful from the hollowed-out brain of my 2008 Toyota Corolla, buddy. I don't think so.

Falkofske testifies through meticulous testing, including by test-driving another 2021 Suburban, the FBI was able to determine how to read the data from Murdaugh’s vehicle. They could tell whether the car was parked or not. But not necessarily whether it was moving.

Falkofske testifies the FBI found two calls on the Suburban’s system from the evening of 6/7/21, when Murdaugh's phone was connected to the vehicle. One to 9-1-1 at 10:06:14 p.m. and another to 9-1-1 four seconds later.

I don't know if John Conrad drew a short straw or lost a bet with his comrades in the S.C. Attorney General's Office, but if there is a spreadsheet that needs to be read out loud in this trial, he seems to be the prosecutor assigned to the job.

A few takeaways from Falkofske from Murdaugh's 2021 Chevy Suburban data: 9:03:44 p.m. on 6/7/21: SUV system boots up. (Could have occurred with the door opening) 9:06:49 p.m.: SUV cranks up. 9:06:50 p.m.: SUV is taken out of park. 9:22:45 p.m.: SUV is put back in park.

Falkofske testifies he can't say whether the vehicle is moving when out of park. Just that it is out of park.

9:43:05 p.m.: SUV is taken out of park. About 21 minutes after it was put in park. (Correlates with Murdaugh leaving Almeda after visiting his mother) 9:43:59 p.m.: SUV goes back into park. So it was out of park for under minute. Can’t say whether the vehicle actually moved.

9:44 p.m. SUV goes out of park again. 10 p.m. - SUV goes back into park. So it was out of park for 16 minutes. (Leaving Almeda to return to Moselle, potentially) 10:01:17 p.m - SUV goes out of park 10:01:29 p.m. - SUV goes back into park 12 seconds later.

10:01:30 p.m. - SUV goes out of park. 10:01:43 p.m. - SUV goes back into park 13 seconds later.

10:04:49 p.m. SUV goes out of park. 10:05:55 p.m.: SUV goes back into park after a little more than a minute. (Driving from Moselle main house to kennels?)

10:11:45 p.m.: SUV goes out of park 10:12:38 p.m.: SUV goes back into park just under a minute later. (Returning to Moselle main house to get shotgun?)

10:13:39 p.m.: SUV goes out of park. (Murdaugh retrieved shotgun, headed back to kennels) No log message indicating when it went back into park. Sometimes the system stops recording. The reason is not clear, Falkofske says.

So, that was a lot. And the prosecutor hasn't done anything to explain any of those times to the jury. But to me, that seems a somewhat clear record of Murdaugh's movements that evening, including his 21-minute stay at his mother's place in Almeda.

The record also indicates it took 16 minutes to drive between Moselle and the Almeda house each time.

Conrad finishes his questioning without providing the jury any more context or narrative. Showering the jury with numbers, trusting that they are following all of this even though they aren't taking notes, and then walking away.

Phillip Barber, the Murdaugh defense attorney who has dealt a lot with digital data experts during this trial, is up to cross-examine Falkofske.

Barber establishes that the Suburban’s data was encrypted by the manufacturer, not Murdaugh. Falkofske said he didn’t reach out to the manufacturer for their help encrypting the data. Manufacturers typically don’t help, Falkofske said.

We have covered a lot of ground today. Gunshot residue, financial crimes, bombs, vehicle infotainment data and a shotgun named Bo Whoop

We are done for the day, Judge Newman says. Back tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. with Barber's cross-examination of Falkofske. Story coming just as soon as I make sense of the day.

That's been the million-dollar question. I've not seen this question answered thus far unless I missed it ...
I wouldn't be surprised if MM's immediate family is viewing the live-streaming trial privately either arranged by the Judicial Circuit Victims Advocate and/or at their lawyer's office. Perhaps holding off any personal appearance to deliver an impact statement before sentencing. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megan_peterson253