SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the Judge said that she contradicted herself, I think what you're saying is exactly why she was so confusing! She didn't figure it out. Too bad someone couldn't clue her in before her testimony.
I think she was struggling with what was true and what would not bring harm to her or her family if she told the truth. Or she got confused by the question from the different attys questioning her. What a horrible feeling to live with. When she saw the picture of the balled up object, she was clearer. A rain poncho would be a smaller bundle that a big tarp. AM may have grabbed the poncho and then put the tarp around it.

To me it doesn't appear that Alex is wearing canvas Sperry's when he was riding around with Paul the afternoon of the murders. (See video below). So it seems there is evidence that he wore 3 different types of footwear (the ones in the video, the Sperry's, and bright colored running shoes) that afternoon and evening. JMO.

As to the GSR I am convinced AM had the gun/guns wrapped up in the blue tarp/rain poncho and that is why the caregiver mentioned that the ATV had been moved....I believe AM disposed of the gun/guns (or parts as someone else mentioned!) on the Almeda property.
But they said the ATV had a flat tire.

As to the GSR I am convinced AM had the gun/guns wrapped up in the blue tarp/rain poncho and that is why the caregiver mentioned that the ATV had been moved....I believe AM disposed of the gun/guns (or parts as someone else mentioned!) on the Almeda property.
I was thinking the same. Do we know how big that property is? Are there extensive lands adjacent?

But they said the ATV had a flat tire.

That was the ATV at Moselle (where the murders took place).

The Almeda property is where AM's mother lives.

MOO.

ETA:
Griffin also questioned Smith about the ATV, and whether she knew it had a flat tire when it was moved. Smith said yes.

The caregiver testified Alex frequently visited his parents at Almeda, more so than any of his other siblings.

Court is back in session.

We begin today with defense attorney Jim Griffin's cross-examination of SLED forensic scientist Megan Fletcher.

Griffin starts by establishing with Fletcher that gunshot residue can stay on an inanimate surface forever - or until something scrubs or washes it off. No way of knowing when or how it got there.

Griffin establishes with Fletcher that GSR accumulates on guns as well and will stay there until cleaned. Fletcher: “If you touch a gun that had been fired at any point, then you have the potential to transfer it to your hands.”

Griffin establishes with Fletcher that the seat she’s sitting in could have GSR on it, given all the guns that have been presented to and by witnesses already in this trial.

Griffin asks if the small amount of GSR particles found on Murdaugh's hands and clothes is consistent with a transfer from the shotgun he retrieved from Moselle's main house for his protection. Fletcher agrees.

“That would be consistent with somebody that had a firearm in his hand prior to collection," Fletcher testifies. She told SLED investigator David Owen that as well.

Griffin establishes that investigators found no GSR particles on the Chevy Suburban seat belt itself. None on the latch plate. Just one particle on the buckle. “I could not tell you when that particle was deposited,” she said. Griffin supposes it could be some 2 years old.

Fletcher agrees with Griffin that she can’t tell when or how GSR got onto the blue rain jacket. It could have been years old.

Griffin supposes that the GSR on the rain jacket could have come from Randolph Murdaugh III tossing his jacket onto his shotgun as he entered his truck. Fletcher says that could explain it.

Griffin establishes again that investigators did *not* test the blue tarp they recovered from Murdaugh's parents' home. Just the rain coat. Fletcher says that's because the jacket was balled up haphazardly in a closet and the tarp was folded in a storage container.

Fletcher says the rain jacket was slated for further DNA analysis, but she does not know the results of that testing. She says the rain jacket was a large. So we finally know the size.

Griffin finishes his cross-examination. Prosecutor John Meadors is up on redirect.

Fletcher clarifies that she found 38 GSR particles on the inside (and stopped counting because there were so many) and 14 on the outside.

I think she was struggling with what was true and what would not bring harm to her or her family if she told the truth. Or she got confused by the question from the different attys questioning her. What a horrible feeling to live with. When she saw the picture of the balled up object, she was clearer. A rain poncho would be a smaller bundle that a big tarp. AM may have grabbed the poncho and then put the tarp around it.
I agree with you and I respect her testimony. She did the best she could under very very trying circumstances.

Has there been any other evidence put forth that might prove the raincoat/poncho belongs to AM?
jmo

I have a question about the closing arguments being factual. It seems to me that at times DH went beyond persuasive language to flat out misleading lies. Can lawyers lie? There seems to be no real boundaries. Can DH just tell the jury a pack of lies or does he have to honor the evidence?

I also have a comment on the caregiver. I'm from Kentucky and my uncle was the ”help” for families through the years. One of the most taboo things was to talk about the family's business/secrets. For this woman to have to testify had to go against everything she'd learned working for people. But lying she could not do. Stealing as well. I can't imagine the conflict she felt. MOO.

God bless her soul.

Griffin finishes his cross-examination. Prosecutor John Meadors is up on redirect.

Fletcher clarifies that she found 38 GSR particles on the inside (and stopped counting because there were so many) and 14 on the outside.

Griffin: “What I gathered is that there are a whole lot of possibilities of what could have happened.” Fletcher: “Correct.” G: But you can’t tell us what actually happened. Just what you saw in the microscope. F: Correct.

Fletcher steps down. The state's 36th witness is Annette Griswold, a Hampton native who worked as Alex Murdaugh's paralegal. Lead prosecutor Creighton Waters is questioning her. She will speak to Murdaugh's alleged financial crimes and how they were discovered.

This next witness worked for Alex at the law firm for 9 years

Annette Griswald

After the boat crash he changed drastically, consumed, angry, yelled…

She described him as having his *advertiser censored* on his shoulders

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads