SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought the CFO of the law firm testified that all the attorneys received a set salary. All other earnings were held until the end of the year and then divided equslly. Did I misunderstand?

Then how was AM taking a few hundred thou here and there…a check that belonged to his brother…then a scam check…etc? And why were those checks issued if this should have been in the common pool shared by all?

When was the wedding band found? I would love to know if he sold her diamond, just lost track of the band. Ole sentimental AM…
The attorney fees was not divided equally at the end of the year. The firm took about 7 percent for overhead and the remainder was distributed to the partners based on how much each had brought in that year.

My understanding is that Alex would have the attorney fee check made out to him personally, rather than to the firm. And re the money that the firm received that was supposed to go to the client, he would have the firm cut a check to Forge (which was Alex's company) because it sounded like a legit business (Forge Consulting) that arranged structured settlements for clients. Alex would then keep the client's money.

I think the wedding band was found about a week after the murders. JMO.

Last edited:
@Gardenista - $4 million according to Eric Bland, but there is also an untouchable trust and no one knows the details about that.

Very curious about this untouchable trust you mentioned in the previous thread.

Your question made me doubt what I heard, so I went back to check the video. I was wrong, the $4M is in a trust, so that's untouchable. This entire video is well worth watching, but the trust part is at about 1h 20m

For people who have been mentioning the PI undercover video footage of Paul (article from March 2022):

In a recent court hearing, attorney Mark Tinsley told a judge that the investigator, Sara Capelli, had videotaped Murdaugh within three days of his death, according to a hearing transcript.
and
But Capelli sharply disputed Tinsley’s claims in a March 31 interview with The Post and Courier.

Her investigation, she said, only lasted roughly six weeks, from February to March 2021. Tinsley, she said, was speculating on evidence he had not yet seen.

Still, she declined to discuss her investigation in detail and would not confirm if it included video surveillance of Paul Murdaugh.

Capelli said she turned over her findings to the State Law Enforcement Division, which has investigated the Murdaugh double-murder for the past nine months but made no arrests and named no suspects.

^^bbm... Huh?

By living as a con man, and master Ponzi scheme artist, the Attorney General delivered 19 Indictments for AM resulting in 99 charges including tax evasion, money laundering, and forgery, to fraud and beyond — all related to alleged financial crimes dating back years. The crimes amount to more than $8.7 million swindled from AM's victims.

Respectfully, whether convicted of stealing from your law partners (as charged), your brother (as charged), or your housekeeper's estate (as charged), the penalty imposed by the court is NOT determined by the name or personality of the victim! That's a silly thought. MOO

To be clear, murder aside, if AM is convicted of these financial crimes alone, he will be in jail for the rest of his life.

“His financial crimes were going to be exposed and you say, ‘That’s not enough reason to kill somebody,’ but maybe it is. People do kill for money.

But the prime directive is always survival and self-preservation,” Richter says. “Had his crimes been revealed, it doesn’t just mean that he’s in trouble. His lineage, his legacy, his name, the entire Murdaugh dynasty crumbles and he knows it.”

[..]

“[He would serve] over 900 years, close to 1,000 years,” Bland says.
I think that's a ridulous statement by Bland.

Elizabeth Holmes got 11 years for a $140 million dollar fraud.

Gina Champlain-Cain stole $400 million and was sentenced to 15 years. ‘Mastermind' Behind $400M Ponzi Scheme Gina Champion-Cain Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison

I wonder just how knowledgeable a Personal Injury Attorney is about data stored in a cellphone and data stored in a vehicle's black box. I would imagine covering cases involving car accidents a Personal Injury attorney would become quite familiar with that type of data storage.

IMO Alex planned down to the minute for his truck to start at 9:06 and the last change in Maggie's phone orientation to be 9:06. It would really be quite simple for both to happen at the same time.. just keep the phone from motion similar to taking a step and keep the phone orientation the same.

Also if the vehicle's black box only records the vehicle being put in or out of park..can't you stop a vehicle, put the parking brake on, put the car in neutral then get out of the vehicle, carry the phone to a spot off the side of the road and set it on the ground ? Then you get back in the vehicle, release the parking brake put the car in drive and go ?
I so disagree. I think Alex Murdaugh is not in any way capable of planning a murder to evade cell/car data detection. The guy was captured on a cell phone video wearing a shirt that arguably went missing after the bloody murders, and was also captured on cell phone audio at the crime scene moments before the crime. JMO.

The attorney fees was not divided equally at the end of the year. The firm took about 7 percent for overhead and the remainder was distributed to the partners based on how much each had brought in that year.

My understanding is that Alex would have the attorney fee check made out to him personally, rather than to the firm. And re the money that the firm received that was supposed to go to the client, he would have the firm cut a check to Forge (which was Alex's company) because it sounded like a legit business (Forge Consulting) that arranged structured settlements for clients. Alex would then keep the client's money.

I think the wedding band was found about a week after the murders. JMO.
Are you sure? My brain is mush about the financials right now, but I thought he was having settlement checks made out directly to “fake forge.”

(I understood this a few days ago, but now I can’t recall how the scams worked.)

I think that's a ridulous statement by Bland.

Elizabeth Holmes got 11 years for a $140 million dollar fraud.

Gina Champlain-Cain stole $400 million and was sentenced to 15 years. ‘Mastermind' Behind $400M Ponzi Scheme Gina Champion-Cain Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison
AM is looking at 45 years for tax evasion alone.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Alex Murdaugh, the disgraced attorney accused of killing his wife and son, was indicted Friday by a grand jury in South Carolina on nine counts of tax evasion, adding to the slew of charges he faces in the aftermath of their deaths more than a year ago.

Prosecutors said Murdaugh, 54, made nearly $14 million as a lawyer over nine years, but also stole nearly $7 million from his law firm at the same time.

Through tax returns from 2011 to 2019, the grand jury indictments shed a light on a man who made millions at the law firm his family founded a century ago, but who also had large swings in income and stole about half as much money as he made from Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick.

The latest indictments bring the total number of charges against the disgraced attorney to more than 100.

Murdaugh’s lawyers adamantly deny he had any role in the killings, but they have acknowledged his role in taking money from clients.

Nine counts of willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax were added to Murdaugh’s charges Friday. Prosecutors said he dodged nearly $487,000 in state income taxes. He faces up to five years in prison on each count if convicted.

Most of the other charges against Murdaugh deal with either stealing $8.8 million in lawsuit settlement money from badly injured clients, or families of people killed in wrecks or on the job, as well as a drug ring and money laundering scheme, according to the indictments handed down in nearly two dozen waves since September 2021.

I don't know how much of this trial you followed but I don't know you could have missed the very famous Snapchat video which directly contradicts his alibi. Also don't see how anybody can say there is anything to doubt about his guilt considering he is proven to have been at the murder location less than 5 minutes before it happened.
Yes to this.. and your previous post about the defendant and discussion I believe with the officers in the car. I could not reply to it since thread was locked……

If the area had not been secured, and the apparent assailant(s) were still out there….. one would think a natural reaction of the defendant would be along lines of: ‘have y’all checked the area? The house? Is there anyone else around here? Are we safe? Is there a sniper that could hit us right now? Are there other vehicles or disturbance on this 1,700 acre tract? Anyone check that yet?’

It seemed to be all about what he had been doing. Not about the fear and present danger or confusion one might perceive or a potential threat.

Last edited:
Are you sure? My brain is mush about the financials right now, but I thought he was having settlement checks made out directly to “fake forge.”

(I understood this a few days ago, but now I can’t recall how the scams worked.)
Maybe some were. But my understanding is that checks were going from the firm's trust accounts (held in trust for clients) to Forge -- there was testimony about that from Annette Griswold, and Jeannie S. testified to seeing the checks to Forge in the firm's books. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. JMO.

Last edited:
I so disagree. I think Alex Murdaugh is not in any way capable of planning a murder to evade cell/car data detection. The guy was captured on a cell phone video wearing a shirt that arguably went missing after the bloody murders, and was also captured on cell phone audio at the crime scene moments before the crime. JMO.
Isn't it possible Alex thought Paul was taking pictures of Alex by the tree or of the dog's tail rather than a video ? Or Alex didn't think his voice would be picked on up the video ? Isn't it possible Alex did not think the housekeeper would have such a detailed memory of his clothing ? The Murdaugh's left their dirty dishes in the living room and pots on the stove overnight for her to take care of the next day - to me his opinon of the hired help was to do the minial tasks he felt were beneath him. I do not think Blanca thought twice about the shirt being missing until after Alex tried to give her a new memory of what he was wearing.

Isn't it possible Alex thought Paul was taking pictures of Alex by the tree or of the dog's tail rather than a video ? Or Alex didn't think his voice would be picked on up the video ? Isn't it possible Alex did not think the housekeeper would have such a detailed memory of his clothing ? The Murdaugh's left their dirty dishes in the living room and pots on the stove overnight for her to take care of the next day - to me his opinon of the hired help was to do the minial tasks he felt were beneath him. I do not think Blanca thought twice about the shirt being missing until after Alex tried to give her a new memory of what he was wearing.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding -- but taking pictures of Alex by the tree is the same as a video of Alex by the tree.. it shows what he was wearing. Regardless, to me "not thinking about" something means he is not capable of careful planning. JMO.

Last edited:
i thought the CFO of the law firm testified that all the attorneys received a set salary. All other earnings were held until the end of the year and then divided equslly. Did I misunderstand?

Then how was AM taking a few hundred thou here and there…a check that belonged to his brother…then a scam check…etc? And why were those checks issued if this should have been in the common pool shared by all?

When was the wedding band found? I would love to know if he sold her diamond, just lost track of the band. Ole sentimental AM…
^^bbm

Yes, the CFO provided the partners each earned $125K base salary annually, but their final salary calculation including bonuses from their respective settled cases was figured at the end of the year.

Only the base salary is equal.

Awards brought in the door by each partner are not equally divisible!

However, a 7.5% gross fee taken from each partner is divided among everyone to help balance out those with a grand year and those with a bad year.

AM was said to be a top earner for the firm -- and a seven-figure annual salary possible.

Relative to the reimbursement checks from the firm twice stolen by AM, the CFO provided the following to the court:

CFO explained that since the firm pays out the settlement bonuses at the end of the year, some of the partners have to loan money to the firm at the beginning of every year to cover operating costs until the firm is back in the positive.

In 2017, the firm borrowed $121,358 from Randy at the beginning of the year (and no history of ever borrowing from AM).

Later in the year, the firm mistakenly issued RM's reimbursement to AM. Knowing he never lent the firm money, AM did not return the check or tell accounting it must be an error, instead, he held on to the check meant for Randy.

Months later, AM told somebody else in accounting that the reimbursement check was voided and requested a replacement check.

Eventually, AM successfully cashed not just one but both of the checks never due him when the firm failed to stop payment on the check AM alleged was voided. When accounting discovered the erroneous payments to AM, he simply repaid the monies to the firm.

Blanca testified that sometime after the murders and after notification MM's Mercedes SUV was being released from impound, RM requested Blanca collect the SUV from Police Impound and take it back to Moselle. It was while vacuuming the SUV after impound that Blanca reportedly located MM's wedding band under the driver's seat.

To my knowledge, there was no testimony by Blanca or anybody else about diamonds. MOO

Yes, where was Bubba when LE showed up at the murder scene? (I’ve read he was in a kennel, but I think that was someone here assuming that.) Has there been any testimony about where Bubba was found after the 911 call?
Assuming AM did it, he had 20 minutes until LE arrived. Bubba was probably howling after witnessing the murders, so AM might have taken him to the house when he got the gun for "protection" until LE arrived. I wish Bubba and Cash could take the stand.

Maybe some were. But my understanding is that checks were going from the firm's trust accounts (held in trust for clients) to Forge -- there was testimony about that from Annette Griswold, and Jeannie S. testified to seeing the checks to Forge in the firm's books. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. JMO.

Actually, the funds that were highjacked by AM and made payable to his impersonated "Forge" bank account instead of his law firm (PMPED) came from the trust accounts of other lawyers AM partnered with for a case.

Annette Griswold discovered Chris Wilson's firm improperly paid "Forge"... until AM changed his mind and wired the money back to Wilson's trust account and asked him to send the monies to PMPED Law Firm. Here, AM also shorted Wilson by $192K requiring Wilson to put that money out of his pocket into his trust account to pay the PMPED Law Firm.

There were no payments from his own firm's trust account paid to "Forge." Again, AM's bonus, calculated on his settled cases, was paid to him at the end of the year in addition to his base salary. MOO

Last edited:
Exactly.

The defense will say (and trust me, I am 100% Team Alex did it) that just because Maggie and Paul's phones "went dark" before 9 and Maggie's phone didn't register any footsteps after 9, it doesn't mean that they were shot and dead before Alex left. The defense will say that it is just as likely, nay more likely, that Maggie and Paul were just sitting down there having a nice long mother-son chat and ignoring their phones. While I remember in the opening that the defense said that at the same moment Alex's car was firing up (9:06) that Maggie's phone was at the spot it was finally found, I don't recall any evidence being shown since the opening that provides location info and a time claiming the phone was there at 9:06--which actually can help the defense because they could say that means the phone wasn't tossed until after Alex left.
That's exactly how I've been thinking this whole time. Defense can explain anything away at this point. I don't see a smoking gun. No eyewitnesses, no murder weapons. Financial motive is logical, but weak, considering how friends and co-workers sincerely believe he loved his family dearly.

The lie about not being there at the kennels at 8:44, when he obviously was, does not contradict the alibi. Nothing proves that he was there at the time of the murder, which could have been later than 8:50. An exact time of death has never been established. Yes, it looks bad for him, but it only takes one juror.
1. "does not contradict the alibi."
What does that even mean?

2. "Nothing proves that he was there at the time of the murder..."
How many said AM specifically told them he did not go down to the kennels prior to finding them? 2 people? 4 people ? 5 people? I've lost count.

Low and behold they unlock PM's phone and bam there is a video, and it is time stamped 8:44:55. Alex lied to LE and friends because he WAS there.

Do not underestimate jurors and their sense of justice...

Actually, the funds that were highjacked by AM and made payable to his impersonated "Forge" bank account instead of his law firm (PMPED) came from the trust accounts of other lawyers AM partnered with for a case.

Annette Griswold discovered Chris Wilson's firm improperly paid "Forge"... until AM changed his mind and wired the money back to Wilson's trust account and asked him to send the monies to PMPED Law Firm. Here, AM also shorted Wilson by $192K requiring Wilson to put that money out of his pocket into his trust account to pay the PMPED Law Firm.

There were no payments from his own firm's trust account paid to "Forge." Again, AM's bonus, calculated on his settled cases, was paid to him at the end of the year in addition to his base salary. MOO
Respectfully, that's not what I heard during the testimony. Starting at 34:00 below Jeanne Seckinger talks about disbursements/checks from PMPED's trust accounts to Forge.

Starting at 50:00 below Annette Griswold talks about PMPED disbursements to Forge and how Alex would not let Annette mail the checks, but he instead said he would walk them to Michael Gunn at Forge Consulting.

Assuming AM did it, he had 20 minutes until LE arrived. Bubba was probably howling after witnessing the murders, so AM might have taken him to the house when he got the gun for "protection" until LE arrived. I wish Bubba and Cash could take the stand.
Maybe they will take the stand in a way- testimony concerning where Cash and Bubba were found after the murders. And the fact they weren’t killed too because AM couldn’t do that when other killers would.

I don’t see how the defense can get around the(sound)video of the three of them being at the murder scene. Do you think defense will not address THAT at all? I noticed when it was played for Blanca to identify voices yesterday…AM was looking down and looked whooped for once. He had no nod, cry…just defeat.
The fact alone that AM asked Blanca & her husband to live in his house(mow lawn, feed animals etc) screams that AM knew there was no threat …no murderer(s) still out there!

MOO
I’m so glad she has Maggie’s dog.
Bubba too helped sink AM on that video.
Your last line: If Bubba wasn't such a naughty boy, you wouldn't hear AM's voice, getting Bubba to let go of the chicken.
Bubba was on a mission, a 'police dog' on duty.:)
:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member