SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very truthful. He literally is incapable of thinking he is going to lose at anything. It’s foreign to him. It may sink in one day but even if he is convicted he will remain in appeal-denial for a long time.
An Appellate Court/Board reviews Appeals, and it can take years to be heard.
What I wonder is, If he is convicted of these Murders, AND then the Financial crimes, which I think may include RICO crimes, will he have to serve his time in General Population, where he belongs, Or will the Federal crimes allow him to serve in Federal Prison-a Cake Walk.
Any ideas? I have a friend, who knows someone who's husband is serving time in Federal Prison, but this woman says her husband is 'Away at Camp'!! Grrr!!

I know, but I don't think it really means much. Remember that the same was announced when the Idaho killer struck and there are so many more examples. I think if LE assumes a targeted killing then they say that. I mostly think it's just something to prevent public panic and I don't put too much stock in it. Just the defense being nit picky but that's their job, I guess. MOO.
Well perhaps, but It gives the impression they know who did the deed. Also, the Public Should be on guard, as nothing is proven.
In my personal experience, I was sure who committed the murder, and LE went looking for him, BUT, I also Insisted they continue to look, to be Sure, in case there may be an accomplice. One never knows, and too often LE has arrested a suspect, only to be proven wrong, even years later...

Well how much training could it possibly require to use a rectal thermometer or to use the armpit method he ended up using? Too bad the job doesn't require much more than that. I mean seeing as these were murders, it would be nice if he thought to actually do the rectal temp to get the most precise temp. Not hard to look around and see a family member found them so maybe it will be very important to have a more exact time, especially since rigor hadn't set in and even 30mins-1 hour time could be a huge piece of evidence to know in this case.
For determining an unattended TOD, I disagree. Here, even if AM was not responsible for the murders, the time between the last proof of life and AM calling 911 was proven at only about an hour -- 9:02 pm- 10:06 pm and the coroner cited the presumed time of death as 2100 or 9 pm. MOO

Apparently Murdaugh was supposed to drive from the rehab facility in Orlando directly to Hampton to surrender to Dick Harpootlian's custody and turn himself in for charges. Buster was driving. SLED arrested Murdaugh pulling into his mother's house in Almeda, against the arrangement he had to drive directly to meet with Harpootlian and SLED.

Harpootlian notes how Murdaugh was granted bond on the insurance fraud and other charges related to the roadside shooting on Sept. 14, then was allowed to go back to Orlando to rehab.

< > Kelly confirms, says Murdaugh was considered a victim of a violent crime in the first two interviews.

Kelly brings up how at the time of the third interview, SLED knew about the checks Murdaugh sent to Eddie Smith, and confirms Murdaugh's financial crimes were already under investigation. Kelly wasn't personally investigating that at the time, but knew about it and turned over to other agents what he learned from Murdaugh about the financial crimes during the third interview.

1 month into the Murdaugh murder trial, the State rests its case

Apparently Murdaugh was supposed to drive from the rehab facility in Orlando directly to Hampton to surrender to Dick Harpootlian's custody and turn himself in for charges. Buster was driving. SLED arrested Murdaugh pulling into his mother's house in Almeda, against the arrangement he had to drive directly to meet with Harpootlian and SLED.

Harpootlian notes how Murdaugh was granted bond on the insurance fraud and other charges related to the roadside shooting on Sept. 14, then was allowed to go back to Orlando to rehab.

< > Kelly confirms, says Murdaugh was considered a victim of a violent crime in the first two interviews.

Kelly brings up how at the time of the third interview, SLED knew about the checks Murdaugh sent to Eddie Smith, and confirms Murdaugh's financial crimes were already under investigation. Kelly wasn't personally investigating that at the time, but knew about it and turned over to other agents what he learned from Murdaugh about the financial crimes during the third interview.

You and I would not be treated with such care.

Do people who are planning a murder really not think through the phone evidence?

This has to be so basic by now.

Yet in so many cases it is the kryptonite

Especially don’t create a dead zone on your own phone for the murder time.
I chuckle every time a defendant makes the mistake of not realizing how much can be traced through a cell phone. I agree, after all the crimes in recent years you would think they’d be smarter!

And the minute he stepped out of rehab LE arrested him on charges in the GS settlement money case.

Except for flunking out of USC law program for plagiarism. Of course he and dear ole' Dad were on the jailhouse tapes discussing who to get money to in order to get him back in the program.

This family is unbelievable in its sense of entitlement. Nothing is off limits in their way of thinking.

MOO
I believe this family’s reputation and ability to rule Hampton County, etc. is fast coming to an end. I agree, their sense of entitlement is amazing, yet not surprising in a family of at least one narcissist, probably more. It lays out a good picture of the good ole boy network. In my opinion ….

What I wonder is, If he is convicted of these Murders, AND then the Financial crimes, which I think may include RICO crimes, will he have to serve his time in General Population, where he belongs, Or will the Federal crimes allow him to serve in Federal Prison-a Cake Walk.
Any ideas? I have a friend, who knows someone who's husband is serving time in Federal Prison, but this woman says her husband is 'Away at Camp'!! Grrr!!
IMO...

I was trying to find any RICO charges yesterday, but couldn't. Surely if he was hiding income from South Carolina (tax evasion, wrong amounts on tax forms, etc) he was also using the same figures for federal taxes? But I see no filings from the IRS (I haven't been following closely though). I thought I'd find federal charges, but I didn't.

Could the Feds be waiting? Because it costs them, too, to prosecute and this guy is probably going to get a long sentence for several of the crimes already charged by South Carolina. I think he should also be investigated federally, for sure.

Federal prisons are, IME, somewhat more comfortable and pleasant that state prisons (but I've never been to a SC state prison). Do we know anything about his conditions at Colleton County Jail?

Other inmates there have their federal holds marked in their records, but Alec does not. Just another SC hold for his 19 indictments and 99+ charges.

Last edited:

Regardless of a pending appeal, AM would likely be sentenced to life in prison at state DOC, and any subsequent conviction in a federal court should not have bearing on where he is housed.

Although I know Former Palmetto State Bank CEO Russell Laffitte was convicted in Federal court, I don't recall AM being indicted by a federal grand jury for the financial crimes(??).

I'm thinking about another murderer, a gang member defendant, who first took a federal plea deal for a RICO charge, and his sentence was imposed before his state murder conviction, and he did indeed return to federal prison after his state murder trial. MOO

Last edited:

I can't stop laughing, I love that they arrested him at Almeda.

In short, where one is first convicted (federal vs state) is where one serves time.

See: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0565.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member