SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the caretaker house referred to is at Almeda. Evidence showed AM pulling into the Almeda property and going to the rear of property to the "caretaker cabin" before visiting his mother in the main house.
I may have missed it but has the fact that Alex went to the caretakers cabin BEFORE visiting his mother been explained?

I would even argue that you could throw out every piece of prosecution evidence except for the 8:44pm video and he would be found guilty. The defense hasn’t even tried to refute it and it is the cornerstone of the case against him. Everything else fills in the picture, but that video is his downfall.
Bravo Little Detective!

It's kind of scary to think that if that dog didn't have a rash on its tail, AM could very well have gotten away with the murders. Without the video, his alibi remains unbroken. And then what does the prosecution have? Just a bunch of conjecture about his movements and odd behavior along with some scattershot evidence, e.g. turning off his phone, coming in the back door at Almeda, the raincoat with GSR, etc. Not really enough to indict.

Now the prosecution later got the OnStar data which also refutes AM's version of events. Initially though, GM said the data wasn't available. It sure seems like the publicity surrounding the trial caused someone at GM take a second look to see what they had. Without the trial that evidence remains buried.

Of course, AM still would have been in heaps of trouble once his financial crimes were uncovered, so it's not like he would have been scot-free. But I think without Cash's rash, PM and MM's murders remain unsolved.

I'm curious how the defence intend to create a rationale for AM lying about being at the Kennels. I feel they need something for a juror to latch on to, no matter how tenuous.

A significant issue for me, in determining whether there is any reasonably possibly true version for the defence, is that the obstruction of AM begins in the very first minute after the 'discovery' of the bodies.

He begins to mislead by omission, immediately during the 911 call which begins only 20s after he reaches the scene, and heavily once first responders arrive.

What can be the thought process here? It's not like he has had a chance to think anything through. And he has a solid alibi, so what possible innocent explanation can there be?

I don't see how you make it work.
I think his only option is that he was covering up for someone else. He has to blame one of the victims, unless he ropes in a an additional person or persons that he is covering for due to love or fear. It is the only way to explain his lies and behaviors that obstruct the investigation.

If the defense concedes that he is at the kennel, then his choices are:

Scrambledy brain made him forget he was there, and he made it out just in time.
-Which I think is no longer an option due to the repetition of the lie. Also, the timing is not looking good at all.

He was there and he was forced to do something/cover up something by bad guys.
-This is not how bad guys operate, at all. Also, what evidence has been introduced to support this idea...just
cowboy cowboy blah blah blah. He might try to reinsert CES or CBR under this vehicle and try to back over
them a few times.

He was there and he had to cover up something terrible done by someone he loves.
-This is not supported by the ballistics, etc. If he had a shred of a human soul, he would not do this to M or P's legacy, and I as a juror, would be enraged by this allegation.

It was a mercy killing of some twisted sort.
-There was nothing merciful about this execution, and I don't think that gets him off the hook in any way legally, either. He might try this to keep his family and friends on his side.

None of these are believable, but I just don't see any other way he could go with it, and I think he HAS to get on the stand to sell any of these ideas. I don't think he will. I feel like the trial is the only true accountability he is going to get, so the longer it persists, the more he has to listen to a public accounting of his crimes. I know AM cares about his reputation, a lot. This trial is FRYING his reputation, no matter how you slice it. So that is a win for the truth.

I still want a win for MM & PM, and everyone that actually loves them with their human heart.

The state took 20 days and still haven’t gotten me any closer to believing AM is guilty. Their case is100% circumstantial. And it’s a WEAK circumstantial case IMO. The best evidence they presented was the Onstar data IMO. And I wonder EXACTLY how accurate that even is. They want to bring up his financial crimes and addiction problems. Yes, he is a and a thief and he’s screwed a lot of people over. But IMO there is a very bold line between financial crimes and killing your family. IMO
The prism each of us look through and see things at the same angle or a different one. Reasonable doubt another factor that each of deal with everyday of our lives this case taking the main stage at this point. It's not a far stretch looking at this from the human frame of mind for one to go from stealing everything in sight to murder and understand that many as well cannot find the connective tissue to see the path leading up to the murders, some stones are still missing but the ones still in place are real good fire starters. For me I ask myself after following this case from the start with the financial chaos, coverup's, roadside shooting clown act along with tech data gathered about videos, vehicle data and phone data...Ask myself would I trust this man with my life?, with my families life?, NO!. A question for others to chew on as well without listening to all the white noise babble, would they trust this man with their lives as well?. I personally refuse to put on my rose colored glasses to avoid the reality of human nature when they feel their backs against a wall. Wearing those glasses at this point would be like calling for a uber then watching a hurst pull up and some guy cloaked in black telling me to get in, I'll just thumb for a ride home thinking my odds of making it there would be better. Just my view through the prism tis all.

Last edited:
Confusing. Thanks much:) Blanca did refer to a Cabin, where she said AM would go to change clothes, get something to eat, but didn't stay there, as he was staying with family/friends, not going back to the property where the murders occurred.
Yes, I forgot that but recent data testimony referred to the Almeda cabin, hmm

I believe the caretaker house referred to is at Almeda. Evidence showed AM pulling into the Almeda property and going to the rear of property to the "caretaker cabin" before visiting his mother in the main house.
I believe you are incorrect. The caretaker's house is on Moselle Road near the driveway to the kennels.
Here is a snip from LE's official timeline document. The caretaker's house is the top circle in the center of the image.

1676826042033.png

ETA: to clarify....I'm not saying there isn't a caretaker house at Almeda, but the original question was referring to whether AM could have walked to the caretaker house at Moselle after calling 911.

Last edited:
Could he have walked back to the house or the caretaker house and back to kennels in these 594 steps? Seems like a lot of walking in 10 minutes.
Yes, he could have. It's fairly close to the kennels. (Top center circled area is the caretaker house.)

1676826415183.png
And it's very likely that AM was at the caretaker's house around 8pm with Paul. Paul's phone was there and both Paul and Alex had a similar amount of steps during the timeframe around that time. See extract from LE timeline below:

1676826645517.png

Attachments

• 1676826344007.png
    1676826344007.png
    757.6 KB · Views: 6
As I had posted in past threads and performed some test at an outside gun range the time it would take to shoulder and shoot the first victim twice set the shotgun aside and shoulder the rife then five into the other victim took me under ten seconds while moving about with the rifle, .223. I had the rifle already slung on shoulder and rounds were chambered in both. I see it boots on the ground that both victims knew the killer and were just going about with the usual and the assault came quickly with seconds of surprise and shock to see who the killer was. Maybe up to a minute or more for it to all play out as I see it and more time was spent on the hasty cleanup of clothing and area before moving on to stash weapons and alibi.
Do u think PM was shot from kneeling position rather than a contoured bent over postion?

Do u think PM was shot from kneeling position rather than a contoured bent over postion?
AM may have slipped down some as PM stumbled forward from the first shot and the second shot was taken from a lower stance pointing upward.. Thinking AM may even taken steps back as PM was stumbling forward since the wounds were not at point blank range causing even more horrible damage.

OMG. That’s a new angle to consider.

80 mg oxycodone tablets would be very dangerous to hand out to people, unless they were already hardcore opiate users. IMO.

This FDA warning states that anything over 40 mg (which works for severe pain in the non-tolerant) should be used only in opiate-tolerant patients (people already accustomed to the next lower dose).

Unless a person didn't care if others died, as it would be a real possibility if they were taken with alcohol or with any number of other drugs or in combination with many different medical conditions.

IMO.

As I watched Officer McDowell’s bodycam footage, it occurred to me (and, apologies if this has been mentioned - trying to keep up with the whirlwind of activity on this case:) - but, I’m wondering if AM may have had some sort of vehicle (golf cart/ATV) parked on the gravel road partially blocking MM’s view of the area where PM was shot. We don’t really know where MM was standing prior to PM being shot, presuming he was the first one killed. AM could have been crouched down beside/behind/in front of that vehicle, out of MM’s view, and shot PM. Perhaps because of his positioning, the first shot did not kill as intended. The second gun could have been resting on the golf cart/ATV/ground and AM simply dropped the first weapon, picked up the second one and walked towards MM.​

My heart truly aches for MM and PM - the bewilderment and terror they must have felt.​

1676826570028.jpeg

1676826519024.jpeg

Source for photos: Officer Buford McDowell Bodycam Footage

Yes, he could have. It's fairly close to the kennels. (Top center circled area is the caretaker house.)

View attachment 403996
And it's very likely that AM was at the caretaker's house around 8pm with Paul. Paul's phone was there and both Paul and Alex had a similar amount of steps during the timeframe around that time. See extract from LE timeline below:

View attachment 404000
Agreed and sure there is a dirt path that family and such took back and forth to shorten the amount of time.

The state took 20 days and still haven’t gotten me any closer to believing AM is guilty. Their case is100% circumstantial. And it’s a WEAK circumstantial case IMO. The best evidence they presented was the Onstar data IMO. And I wonder EXACTLY how accurate that even is. They want to bring up his financial crimes and addiction problems. Yes, he is a and a thief and he’s screwed a lot of people over. But IMO there is a very bold line between financial crimes and killing your family. IMO
From my point of view, the line between the financial crimes and the murders is that it was all about to come tumbling down, without that pressure, he would have continued with life as usual, drugs and stealing. Many cases have been won on circumstantial evidence, but there is direct evidence too. From the time data collected- the lies, the kennel video-which is direct evidence of lies, the missing clothes, trying to coerce Smith and B‘s testimony, the roadside shooting which I view as another attempt to distract, create impression of the family being targeted. If he wanted ES to kill him then why isn’t he dead, why fire only one shot? I believe AM is devoid of actual feelings/compassion which allowed him to steal from those who he treated like family and allowed him to kill his actual family. He has no conscious although he plays the part well. When confronted he can sound very convincing as he did in the phone interview regarding the roadside shooting. I believe it’s possible that he had anger at Paul for the boat case, enough anger that he became a liability in AM’s eyes. He reasoned he had to kill Maggie to keep her from pursuing who killed Paul. He was being confronted about the pills, the money, the boat lawsuit, the walls were closing in. MOO

Last edited:
I know people react differently, but if that was me, I would be not be within eye sight of my dead family members as police taped off the scene and started investigating. Even once sheets were placed over them I would want to be away from the horror. Seems very odd to me that he is hanging around there. Is he there to keep tabs on LE? JMO.

Was the caretaker actually living in that cottage at the time? I know he was out of town the night of the murders, but did he live there otherwise? I’m talking acout the employee that supposedly told PM the wild story that AM repeated in his interview.

Initially though, GM said the data wasn't available. It sure seems like the publicity surrounding the trial caused someone at GM take a second look to see what they had. Without the trial that evidence remains buried.
I'm very curious about this development and just speculating:

Perhaps GM's blanket policy is to say there is no data, because otherwise a) potential criminals won't buy their vehicles b) they'll have to dedicate staff to accessing, downloading and sharing the data for LE all across the country..

But perhaps an employee with access to the data decided to do some sleuthing, regardless of policy, and discovered that it was crucial evidence that could determine the outcome of the trial.

Once that information was brought to attention of higher ups at GM, they coukdn't suppress it, that would be a crime on their part, so they were advised by their lawyer to release it.

I just doubt it was a corporate, top down decision to 'look extra hard for the data', but more likely a bottom up, let's poke around when the boss isn't looking...

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member