SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m no expert and so this is just info I got one more than one website in reference for speed being a reason to use the kneeling position. This is an excerpt from American rifleman:

Although much steadier than standing, for me it isn't nearly as steady as a good sitting position. It is, however, extremely useful for fast shots at medium distances. You simply drop to one knee, raise the rifle and fire-good for those fast-breaking situations when maybe it's a bit far for a quick standing shot, but it doesn't appear there's time to find a steadier position. A hasty sling is a great addition to the kneeling position, and with practice can be assumed as you're dropping to one knee-no time wasted.
An Official Journal Of The NRA | Adapting Shooting Positions For Real-World Use

I find it very odd that this witness, being a mechanical engineer, is discussing a murder/crime scene. I would think there would be far better professionals to discuss and analyze a crime scene, such as a forensic scientist/ballistic expert. Defense is grasping at straws. I hope the State has a field day with this witness.
Prolly because the defense couldn't find anyone with crime scene/forensics credentials willing to testify to any such thing.

Jmo

The defense's fourth witness is Mike Sutton, a North Carolina engineer who creates crime scene exhibits and animations.

Sutton, a mechanical engineer, says he deals with external ballistics, tracking the flight of a bullet after it leaves the gun. He does not deal with internal ballistics, which is what happens after the bullet hits its target.

Sutton testifies he is also an acoustics expert. Says acoustics engineering is a subset of mechanical engineering. He has testified about whether things can be heard at specific times by specific people, based on the scene.

Sutton and Harpootlian are now walking through the bullet trajectories Sutton gleaned from looking at bulletholes in crime scene photos.

This trial is giving new life to protractors, which I have forgotten about for the past 15 years.

Harpootlian says the jury will soon see a 3-D model of what he and Sutton are discussing.

Sutton testifies the angle of the bullet’s trajectory helps determine where the shooter could have been. If the bullet is at an upward angle, for example, you can track it back all the way into the ground. That gives you a range of places the shooter could have fired it from.

We are now watching a 3-D reconstruction of the crime scene.

Here’s generally what the jury is seeing

Overheard shot of the crime scene. The yellow circles are where .300 Blackout cartridges were found. Maggie’s body is depicted by that grey sheet.

These green lines are Sutton’s projection of the flight path of one of the .300 Blackout bullets that hit Maggie. The two lines depict a range of angles, working backward from the bullet hole in the quail pen.

Sutton created a person holding a .300 Blackout

Photo at link

Sutton: “It would be hard for anybody” to be shooting that .300 Blackout from the shoulder because the bullethole in the quail pen is just over 4 feet off the ground, and going at an upward trajectory. So the barrel that fired the bullet had to be less than 4 feet off the ground.

Sutton: The person likely would have fired from the hip to create this trajectory. Even a short person couldn't have fired from the shoulder at this trajectory. Of note: Buster just testified his father is 6-foot-4

Sutton testifies that based on his model, the 14-degree downward shot into the doghouse and the 1.5-degree upward shot into the quail pen were shot from the same person, at the same place - right by Maggie’s body.

Like this

Photo at link

Placement of the shell casings supports this, Sutton says

Sutton says the little grey guy in his model is 5-foot-2. If you make him taller, the angle stops working, he says. It puts the person closer to the quail pen, away from Maggie's body, and nowhere near the shell casings. It doesn't make sense, he says.

Soooooo either the shooter was 5-foot-2 or there is a confounding variable here (like a person crouching or kneeling).

Sutton testifies he measured AM this morning. His kneecap is 25 inches off the ground. If AM was the shooter, his shooting hand would have had to be below his kneecap, Sutton testifies.

Sutton: “It puts them in an unrealistic shooting position. It’s not an aiming position. It’s not a shooting position. It would be something other than a shooting position where you were on your feet.”

Sutton: “You would have to be bending over and have your shooting hand down at or below your kneecap. It just makes it very unlikely that a tall person made that shot.”

Paul was also shot at a dramatic upward angle, according to the state's experts.

Harpootlian: In your engineering opinion, is it most likely that the shooter of Maggie was 5-foot-2 to 5-foot- 4? Sutton: “That is the most likely explanation, yes.”

Harpootlian: Alex Murdaugh is 6-foot-4. In your opinion, did Alex Murdaugh fire this shot? Sutton: “In my opinion, it’s very unlikely that he fired that shot.”

Harpootlian: In going through the case file, did you see any evidence that state investigators did a bullet trajectory analysis like yours? Sutton: No. We break for lunch until 2:15 p.m.

I’m no expert and so this is just info I got one more than one website in reference for speed being a reason to use the kneeling position. This is an excerpt from American rifleman:

Although much steadier than standing, for me it isn't nearly as steady as a good sitting position. It is, however, extremely useful for fast shots at medium distances. You simply drop to one knee, raise the rifle and fire-good for those fast-breaking situations when maybe it's a bit far for a quick standing shot, but it doesn't appear there's time to find a steadier position. A hasty sling is a great addition to the kneeling position, and with practice can be assumed as you're dropping to one knee-no time wasted.
An Official Journal Of The NRA | Adapting Shooting Positions For Real-World Use
Replying to myself because I forgot to add, that he could also use that position to lure Maggie closer thinking he was hurt, say he was on a knee slumped forward clutching his chest till she was close enough.just thinking MOO

Paul was shot while in the shed, opposite direction of the quail pen and dog house.

Maggie's body was found near the dog house. We know the shooter was moving as he shot her 5 times. If he missed a couple of times, it doesn't really make any difference.

I don't see how it makes any difference either, we know of at least one bullet strike in the gravel near where she was shot, there easily could have been more that were disturbed by the numerous LE that responded that night.

Yes, and that's a good reminder to the jury that his testimony might be shaded out of duty/loyalty.

Jmo
If you did not know what this trial was about, from his demeanor, you would never guess that it was about the murder of his mother and brother, zero emotion. May just be how he is but a little emotion would have been nice.

I bet this is really a high dollar witness to have made up this story! My integrity would mean more to me than coming up with something like this! Also, adding, if Paul shot Maggie and then himself, what happened to the guns?
Oh boy, they haven't gotten to that yet. Maybe it'll be something like, "It's a mystery, I don't know it just all works out?"

Was the circus in town that day?
I haven't been called Munchkin since High School. lol
I find it very odd that this witness, being a mechanical engineer, is discussing a murder/crime scene. I would think there would be far better professionals to discuss and analyze a crime scene, such as a forensic scientist/ballistic expert. Defense is grasping at straws. I hope the State has a field day with this witness.
My immediate reaction was, are they trying to blame Blanca?!

Perhaps all of this witness testimony can be dismissed on the basis that there's no evidence that the hole in the quail cage occurred on the night of the murders. If not ...

If I were the prosecution, I would request 2d views of the angles, distances and heights of the dog house and the quail pen. I believe this is all monkey business intended to distort fact using fancy CAD drawings. Since it's built on CAD, it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to adjust to 2d perspectives without the CAD background. Next, I would ask what the height of the shooter would be if he was kneeling on one knee while taking the shot.

What's #8 on this illustration?

1677003866835.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members