SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get to watch today and have just seen a few snippets this evening.

How was AM's body language while on the stand? I would love some insight. Thank you.
I'm not a body language expert by any stretch but one obvious difference between AM and other witnesses was that he sat turned toward the jury while testifying.

I kind of wonder if Waters kept the focus on the financial stuff this afternoon because he was running out the clock. He didn't want to start in on the murders with just a half-hour or so left in the day. Better to let the jury ruminate on Alex's thefts and his evasiveness overnight and then start asking about the events around the murders fresh in the morning.

I know that after the jury was dismissed Waters said that he would cover more finance ground tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just gamesmanship to give Alex and the defense team something to stew over.

How can AM not hear what "a lot of money, maybe eight figures" sounds like to the average person on that jury? People are worried about the price of eggs and he can't even remember a life-changing amount of money? And all of the "yeah, I lied and stole from these people who trusted me" — how must that be going over with the jury? I can only hope that if he doesn't get found guilty here (I've been on a few juries and it can be a crapshoot), he will be punished for the financial crimes he admitted to while under oath. The Hakeem Pinckney story broke my heart, and I hope the people who suffered because he ran a Ponzi scheme with their settlements can recoup what's been stolen from them.

Mr. Murdaugh:

Do you agree with Jeanne S that you are good at the "art of bull****"?
Do you agree with Mark Ball that you are "cunning"?

Perhaps the Waters have better luck getting AM to respond if he asked him to tell the jury how he s_h_i_t -up Authur Badger (client). Words AM understands....

I kind of wonder if Waters kept the focus on the financial stuff this afternoon because he was running out the clock. He didn't want to start in on the murders with just a half-hour or so left in the day. Better to let the jury ruminate on Alex's thefts and his evasiveness overnight and then start asking about the murder fresh in the morning.

I know that after the jury was dismissed Waters said that he would cover more finance ground tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just gamesmanship to give Alex and the defense team something to stew over.
I guess we'll know soon enough how well this strategy pays off, but I wonder if the emphasis on the financial crimes will muddy the waters too much? It definitely helps with motive and character but so much time has been devoted to it and they still have to prove the murder case beyond a reasonable doubt. It will be so interesting how the jury perceives this.

We've had weeks of testimony to that end. It makes sense that Waters would want to confront him with these crimes and humanize the victims but I think we all get it. I'm afraid he's going to lose the jury if he doesn't get on with it. IMO
He didn't want to get into the murder case yet because it was the end of the day already. You don't want to be interrupted in the middle of that crucial portion. It is much better to start tomorrow fresh as he enters that ground.

Judge Newman asked the state how much longer is this is going to go on. Waters says three or four hours. Excellent!!! Three more hours of twisting the screw!! lol :D;)
I wish he would have said, "judge that just depends on Alex. If he could just answer the questions without repeating it and twisting it like a politician, then it will go much faster"

I hope the state takes the entire day and goes into Monday. Let the defense pay for their experts over the weekend. Maybe their client shouldn't be such an arsehole and just answer the questions so this could have been much further along by now.

For me, one of the most interesting points of AM's testimony today was when he said "I did 'em so bad" (I'll have to see if I can go back and find the exact phrase but it was almost verbatim what the prosecution alleges he said in his interview with LE) in relation to stealing from his clients. I was surprised CW didn't pick up on that.
CW is just getting started.

How can AM not hear what "a lot of money, maybe eight figures" sounds like to the average person on that jury? People are worried about the price of eggs and he can't even remember a life-changing amount of money? And all of the "yeah, I lied and stole from these people who trusted me" — how must that be going over with the jury? I can only hope that if he doesn't get found guilty here (I've been on a few juries and it can be a crapshoot), he will be punished for the financial crimes he admitted to while under oath. The Hakeem Pinckney story broke my heart, and I hope the people who suffered because he ran a Ponzi scheme with their settlements can recoup what's been stolen from them.
what was new to me was the 'loan' from the conservatorship....wow....old saying 'robbing peter to pay paul' in that instance only. everyone else he stole from was left out to dry.

Yes they are, IMO. The state is getting in VERY important info, like him stealing from a grieving mom who lost her daughter, and this corrupt monster stole ALL of her money.

Or a disabled client, who won a settlement after his accident, and this heartless creep lies to him and his parents and steals the settlement from them.

And 2 young girls, whose Mom was killed---he steals from them while they are waiting to turn 18 and get their settlement.

These are very important facts that the jury needs to understand. This guy didn't just embezzle from some corporate account somewhere----he stole from the most vulnerable victims, who paid him handsomely to protect them. They trusted him and he lied to their faces in their most difficult times of crisis.

THIS is very important groundwork being laid because the jury needs to understand how ruthless, deceitful and coldhearted this greedy monster is.
Yes, I agree … ruthless and cold-hearted enough to kill his own wife and son!

I completely agree with you on the crapshoot part. I was on a jury for a one-day DUI case. We found the guy not guilty even though almost to a person we all thought he was. But law enforcement didn't do a great job and based on the instructions we were given by the judge the prosecution didn't meet their burden. We didn't really have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper