SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would AM know the murderers had Maggie's phone? WTH?

Not that she had it in her car, or left it elsewhere. What am I reading?

Edited to add: I think I am just missing context. Since I am only reacting to comments

AM's pill use was running his life !
Or maybe ... ruining his life ?
Is this the heart of the matter and AM's motive; drug addiction ?

Good question.
Where else was he spending the stolen money ?
Imo.
no, IMO the pill usage isnt the heart of his problem....so many moving pieces.

Apologies if the group has discussed this, but I am just catching up watching AM's testimony. For experts:

Is it a Southern custom for courts to allow a defendant's testimony to become a soliloquy?

As noted, there is a Clintonesque quality to AM - just keep putting space between his response and the question, or even more boldly, to answer a question with a question. It is mind boggling to me that the judge allows this to happen.

And - frick all this "sir..", talking of "honor", from AM on the stand. It's just all bs.

AM's way of talking reminds me of Confederate cultural stereotypes you see in Civil War movies. Sheesh.
Is this the actual way that deep Southerners actually interact with one another?
I'm a generational Southerner, and will try to sheads light on our many dialects. All are influenced by earlier settlers, Scots, English. Italian, the list goes on. Many lived on the southern east coast before moving west.

We grow up listening to our parents, relatives and it's handed down. You have to hit up the small towns where these languages have survived. Our larger cities have lost there local dialects.

Yes, eastern NC/SC generational families speak AM type dialect, known as the Southern drawl, low and slow,. Had an Uncle always paused after every phrase, it was normal to us.

Now head over to western Appalachian Mountain and OMG, there are so many unusual dialogue. European, German and Italian depending on region of the AM.

Now head over to the Outer Banks and step into the world of Island Brogie. "The unique accent and vocabulary, derived from Irish and Scottish colonists, evolved into its own dialect over the centuries as a result of the area’s extreme isolation. Visitors often mistake the accent as British or Australian, but with origins dating back to the 1600s, Ocracoke Brogue is about as American as it gets."

A drawl is a perceived feature of some varieties of spoken English and generally indicates slower, longer vowel sounds and diphthongs. The drawl is often perceived as a method of speaking more slowly and may be erroneously attributed to laziness or fatigue. That particular speech pattern exists primarily in varieties of English, the most noticeable of which are Southern American English, Broad Australian English, and Broad New Zealand English. It is believed to have its origin in the 1590-1600s Dutch or Low German word "dralen" /ˈdraːlə(n)/, meaning "to linger."[1]

Appalachian English is American English native to the Appalachian mountain region of the Eastern United States. Historically, the term "Appalachian dialect" refers to a local English variety of southern Appalachia, also known as Smoky Mountain English or Southern Mountain English in American linguistics.[1] This variety is both influential upon and influenced by the Southern U.S. regional dialect, which has become predominant in central and southern Appalachia today, while a Western Pennsylvania regional dialect has become predominant in northern Appalachia,[2] according to the 2006 Atlas of North American English (ANAE). The ANAE identifies the "Inland South,” a dialect sub-region in which the Southern U.S. dialect's defining vowel shift is the most developed,[3] as centering squarely in southern Appalachia: namely, the cities of Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tennessee; Birmingham and Huntsville, Alabama and Asheville, North Carolina.[4] All Appalachian English is rhotic and characterized by distinct phonology, morphology, syntax, and lexicon. It is mostly oral but its features are also sometimes represented in literary works.

This has a video for speech. Worth a watch, I've visited this area. I can't I understand the language or the vocabulary they have created. Its like being in a foreign country.
Hoi Toider,” as the Ocracoke Brogue is also known, is a dialect of American English spoken only on remote islands in North Carolina’s Outer Banks

It was actually the Defense who talked about the 5'2" "people".... CW is using it to show how absurd the Defense is.
Yes it was and the defense also put into evidence for our viewing pleasure the crime scene rendition showing the tiny 5'2" shooters that could have walked upright into the 4' dog house. The rendition was so not credible because of the addition of those figures.

IMO, CW "killed it" and AM was a "hot mess"
I'm not an expert, but in my view, the prosecutor was a disaster. He let AM take control of the cross. Actually letting AM rephrase his own questions on very many occasions. How can that be??? It's like a photographic negative of the trial in My Cousin Vinnie. If there's a mistrial, the prosecution will have been hoodwinked. If the jury votes for conviction, it means that I don't understand bonk about this culture.

Can someone remind me how long AM's current prison sentence is? There's so much going on in this case. Was he sentenced for the roadside shooting?
He does not have a current prison sentence, he was denied bail

I'm not an expert, but in my view, the prosecutor was a disaster. He let AM take control of the cross. Actually letting AM rephrase his own questions on very many occasions. How can that be??? It's like a photographic negative of the trial in My Cousin Vinnie. If there's a mistrial, the prosecution will have been hoodwinked. If the jury votes for conviction, it means that I don't understand bonk about this culture.
Since Alex would not stop telling big long winded stories, the prosecution strategy was to give him enough rope until he hung himself - which he did.

unbelieveable! defense wants to split their closing argument! judge not inclined to approve that, because it is UNPRECEDENTED in the state of SC but will look into it. lol......then defense dangles a carrot: we will cut it to two hours.:eek:

It certainly seems like both the prosecution and defense agree that the murder weapon was Paul's gun. (Maybe because Paul apparently didn't clean his guns often? I don't know, I'm not a gun expert.)

I would think if there was any doubt that the murder weapon was owned by the Murdaughs, the defense would have been able to bring in experts to contest that fact. That would have been a huge win for them, and it would have opened up a lot of possibilities as to means.

[[raising hand]] I think I know the answer.

The casings from the shells on the floor of the kennel area (from the shells that killed Paul) matched the ballistic patterns of the gun that Paul had used for target practice at Moselle - and he had left behind his cartridges (of course).

So they know it was the same gun that Paul was shooting in target practice; the one that he "lost." (Was stolen by his dad? was never lost? we know MM bought Paul a less expensive but similar gun as a replacement.)

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member