SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He would never say that he didn’t shoot or murder Maggie and Paul, just that he would never hurt them.

Also, AM told the jury he could not "intentionally" hurt his family. I think AM believes being under the influence of narcotics prevents him from living and acting intentionally.

And all of his testimony, dancing around semantics, was exhausting! JMO

But he did answer Griffin directly, I believe, yesterday, and said he did not kill either one of them. I’m 99% sure. Anyone else know for sure?

“I would never intentionally do anything to hurt either one of them,” Murdaugh said, tears running down his cheeks.

He said about everything except use the word “kill”

The reporters who are actually in the court and saw the juror's reactions say the exact opposite, so I would not listen to youtube rando lawyers

I've been watching a few as well and I'm wondering if they are watching the same case as I am. Hell, they even disagree amongst themselves. It's all done for entertainment purposes anyway. There's no drama if everyone agrees!

IIRC, when he spoke the words and didn't just answer yes or no, he said he would never intentionally hurt either one.
I did more Googling. CNN reports that Alex did explicitly state that he didn’t kill them. I’m trying to find other sources.

“Still, Murdaugh was emphatic in his denial that he shot and killed his wife and son, insisting in response to Griffin’s questions, “I didn’t shoot my wife or my son, anytime, ever.””

I did more Googling. CNN reports that Alex did explicitly state that he didn’t kill them. I’m trying to find other sources.

“Still, Murdaugh was emphatic in his denial that he shot and killed his wife and son, insisting in response to Griffin’s questions, “I didn’t shoot my wife or my son, anytime, ever.””

TY for finding that. He's such a liar.

The way I am thinking about the motive (to the extent that people even really need a great motive to kill) is (IMO):

- The pressure from the boat crash cases was mounting. Tinsley, the Beach family's attorney, had told him that he was going to have to pay a lot of money to settle the case. Alex told Tinsley that he was broke. Tinsley didn't believe it based on what he knew of Alex's caseload and was going to force Alex to turn over financial information. If his financial information came to light, it was going to become clear that he was stealing from clients. That would have gotten him disbarred and would have stopped him from making a legitimate living. Worse, it was going to turn off the spigot on his illegitimate income. Even worse, Alex would probably have to go to prison.
- If the boat crash case were to settle -- or go to trial -- he was going to lose everything, including Maggie's beloved beach house and Moselle, which was Paul's "absolute passion"
- Paul's criminal defense was costing a fortune and would have been making its way through the courts for years, which caused more financial pressure.
- Alex's usual modus operandi of tampering with the jury was not going to fly in the boat crash cases, because Tinsley told him that if he had even a hint of a whiff of tampering, Tinsley was going to immediately file new suits in Beaufort County -- where the Murdaugh family name isn't as powerful and Alex wouldn't be able to jury tamper -- naming Buster and Maggie. More financial pressure.
- Maggie was encouraging Alex to settle the suits, but Alex was backed into a corner and couldn't without all of the above consequences, which she did not know of.
- IMO, Maggie and Paul were becoming aware of financial issues through declined credit cards and bounced checks. Maybe Paul ("Little Detective") had even done some snooping and had unearthed some evidence of the ill-gotten gains.
- Maggie and Little Detective were putting pressure on him by finding drugs and confronting him. They were coming between him and opioids.
- IMO, Alex was having an affair and he also had to worry about that coming to light, because if Maggie divorced him, he would be financially ruined (I am basing my opinion about the possibility of an affair on Mushelle Smith's testimony that he had only been by at night to visit his mother a couple times in the years that she worked for Miss Libby coupled with testimony by Marian about how much time he spent there and Maggie's text saying that she was worried about Alex because he wasn't getting enough sleep due to all the time he was spending with his parents at night.)
- Alex's father, who was his protector and fixer for his entire life, was dying. There would be no daddy to help him soon.
- The above consequences -- becoming penniless and being found to be a thief and a liar and an addict -- would have ruined his social standing as a powerful Murdaugh.

Killing Maggie and Paul would remove several pressure points. The criminal boat case would be dismissed. Juries would be less likely to award big damages against him and maybe Tinsley would even drop the case. He wouldn't have to worry about letting down Maggie and Paul by being found out to be a con man and a thief and by losing Moselle and the beach house and the rest of the lifestyle they had become accustomed to. He would no longer have to worry about hiding things from Maggie and Little Detective. Maybe he would be able to find a way to replace some of the missing money before anyone became any the wiser, or at least before anyone made public accusations, enabling him to avoid prison.

Do I think these are great reasons for murder? No, of course not, but it doesn't matter what I think is a good reason -- these were good reasons to Alex. People have murdered for much, much less.
Great post. Interesting catch on the nights spent away! I think Maggie wanted out of there. She didn’t answer him. I think she was done . JMO
——————————-

The crash was a “devastating blow” for Maggie’s family, Proctor said. In its wake, Maggie felt the Hampton community had turned against the Murdaughs, Proctor said. She preferred spending time at their Edisto Beach house as a result, Proctor said.
Maggie was looking in the Hilton Head and Bluffton areas to purchase another home, Proctor said. She called Proctor and their parents in the months before the murders because she’d found a house and wanted to make an offer.
Proctor believes Alex was there too, and he advised Maggie against the purchase because of the pending lawsuit.

Last edited:
So he can read a killers thoughts and know the killer thought about it for a long time---now he can read hearts too??

Wow he's magnificent!! He needs to be in a circus, boy he'd the money then!!

"...because I can tell you for a fact..that the person or people who did what I saw on June the 7th, they hated Paul Murdaugh, and they had anger in their heart. And that is the only, only reason that somebody could be mad at PawPaw like that and hate him like that.”

This is code for how much anger and hate he had for his own son before he shot him.
Alex said that the killer thought about it for a long time before murdering Maggie and Paul. Alex also said that the killer was so angry with Paul that he hated Paul. He goes on to say that he knows this is a vigilante crime related to the boat accident.

That's close to an admission. Alex was so angry with Paul over the financial fraud exposure (boat accident) that he might have planned the murder for 2 years because he hated him. Alex is the vigilante.

People should never underestimate the desperation of a narcissist, pathological liar, who is about to be exposed by those closest to him. It reminds me of Mark Hacking, who killed his wife Lori when she discovered he had been lying about being enrolled in medical school. She was 5 months pregnant. No signs of domestic violence, they were a loving Mormon couple by all accounts.

Rather than admit to the deception, he shot her. The Murder of Lori Hacking: Killed by Her Husband's Lies

I definitely believe AM has got a lot of people still fooled despite the fact that there is a ton of evidence that he's a horrible person, even admitted all his financial crimes and yet people still feel sorry for him - that is quite a talent or a Machiavellian display of evil, depending on your perspective. He's very smooth a lot of times, I'll give him that. There's a reason he's gotten away with everything he has for so long, he's a great manipulator and bamboozler.

The way I am thinking about the motive (to the extent that people even really need a great motive to kill) is (IMO):

- The pressure from the boat crash cases was mounting. Tinsley, the Beach family's attorney, had told him that he was going to have to pay a lot of money to settle the case. Alex told Tinsley that he was broke. Tinsley didn't believe it based on what he knew of Alex's caseload and was going to force Alex to turn over financial information. If his financial information came to light, it was going to become clear that he was stealing from clients. That would have gotten him disbarred and would have stopped him from making a legitimate living. Worse, it was going to turn off the spigot on his illegitimate income. Even worse, Alex would probably have to go to prison.
- If the boat crash case were to settle -- or go to trial -- he was going to lose everything, including Maggie's beloved beach house and Moselle, which was Paul's "absolute passion"
- Paul's criminal defense was costing a fortune and would have been making its way through the courts for years, which caused more financial pressure.
- Alex's usual modus operandi of tampering with the jury was not going to fly in the boat crash cases, because Tinsley told him that if he had even a hint of a whiff of tampering, Tinsley was going to immediately file new suits in Beaufort County -- where the Murdaugh family name isn't as powerful and Alex wouldn't be able to jury tamper -- naming Buster and Maggie. More financial pressure.
- Maggie was encouraging Alex to settle the suits, but Alex was backed into a corner and couldn't without all of the above consequences, which she did not know of.
- IMO, Maggie and Paul were becoming aware of financial issues through declined credit cards and bounced checks. Maybe Paul ("Little Detective") had even done some snooping and had unearthed some evidence of the ill-gotten gains.
- Maggie and Little Detective were putting pressure on him by finding drugs and confronting him. They were coming between him and opioids.
- IMO, Alex was having an affair and he also had to worry about that coming to light, because if Maggie divorced him, he would be financially ruined (I am basing my opinion about the possibility of an affair on Mushelle Smith's testimony that he had only been by at night to visit his mother a couple times in the years that she worked for Miss Libby coupled with testimony by Marian about how much time he spent there and Maggie's text saying that she was worried about Alex because he wasn't getting enough sleep due to all the time he was spending with his parents at night.)
- Alex's father, who was his protector and fixer for his entire life, was dying. There would be no daddy to help him soon.
- The above consequences -- becoming penniless and being found to be a thief and a liar and an addict -- would have ruined his social standing as a powerful Murdaugh.

Killing Maggie and Paul would remove several pressure points. The criminal boat case would be dismissed. Juries would be less likely to award big damages against him and maybe Tinsley would even drop the case. He wouldn't have to worry about letting down Maggie and Paul by being found out to be a con man and a thief and by losing Moselle and the beach house and the rest of the lifestyle they had become accustomed to. He would no longer have to worry about hiding things from Maggie and Little Detective. Maybe he would be able to find a way to replace some of the missing money before anyone became any the wiser, or at least before anyone made public accusations, enabling him to avoid prison.

Do I think these are great reasons for murder? No, of course not, but it doesn't matter what I think is a good reason -- these were good reasons to Alex. People have murdered for much, much less.
Can I give you a thousand likes for your well-thought out summary? Wow! :)

I stand corrected. Video at link showing him saying this and to me that is as good as saying he didn't kill them.

“I didn’t shoot my wife or my son, anytime, ever.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members