SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps one needs to be under oath for certain applicability? I don’t know….. maybe someone with legal experience can help weigh in here? MO.
This is essentially the answer.

His video testimony wasn’t under oath. His court testimony is. He testified in court he was lying on video. Thus not lying to the court. The court will defer to his testimony under oath as being true (benefit of doubt).

In practice, perjury is more about conflicting testimonies under oath. For example, deposition vs trial testimony.

this has been bothering me...(among other things!). AM said he would "never intentionally hurt his wife or child"..can't get over the word "intentionally"...is he implying the deaths were accidental????
Yes, this was my thought. Bordering on I was out of my mind on drugs and stress and it was all a big mistake. JMO.

I admittedly came to this trial late (yesterday!), so forgive this question. Has the prosecution introduced any direct evidence to tie him to the murders? I’m hearing a lot of what I consider to be very good circumstantial evidence, but I haven’t heard much direct discussed in this cross.

I have thought about this as well, but I also think he’s not living the high life any longer, so lost some naturally. I think he's definitely calculated enough to take it further so he looks frail and sickly. Moo.
He's been in jail since his arrest. It is typical that inmates gain weight in jail due to the quality or lack thereof of the food and the fact that they spend a lot of money at the canteen buying pop tarts, honeybuns, chips, candy bars, soda, etc. things very high in fat content. Also, the lack of exercise and physical activity.

This was planned IMO.

this has been bothering me...(among other things!). AM said he would "never intentionally hurt his wife or child"..can't get over the word "intentionally"...is he implying the deaths were accidental????

A WSer whose name starts with B had a great theory on the last thread. She and I had the same beginnings to our thinking, but she then put together so many elements in her view on how this went down. I can't find the post right now - I hope she'll come back and restate it.

The jist was that Alex's first priority was getting back his pills. He thinks either Maggie or Paul has them. Note that since our WSer posited this as the main motivation for him going to the kennel, with guns, we have learned that Alex left the kennel with pills in his pockets. Hmmm.

Anyway, B said that he probably pointed the shotgun at Paul, demanding that Paul give him his pills. Maggie is a bit of a distance away. Alex is in some phase of crazy due to withdrawals and the gun goes off (Paul's first wound). Alex then blames Paul for what just happened, transferring the full force of his anger to his boy. Maggie comes running, is shot.

That's why AM tries to turn Paul over (belt loops) and why there's blood inside one of Paul's pockets.

I will add that this it not incompatible with the theory some others had about AM being in the golf cart, aiming the gun when the first shot or shots were fired.

This would lead me to the conclusion that Alex, now with a pocketful of pills, has taken a bunch and is not in the grips of withdrawal as much. But now he has truly hit rock bottom and here he is, on trial for murder.

(If someone wrote this as a novel, I don't think most people would believe it).

I admittedly came to this trial late (yesterday!), so forgive this question. Has the prosecution introduced any direct evidence to tie him to the murders? I’m hearing a lot of what I consider to be very good circumstantial evidence, but I haven’t heard much direct discussed in this cross.
The kennel video, the phone stuff and his lying interviews on camera

He's been in jail since his arrest. It is typical that inmates gain weight in jail due to the quality or lack thereof of the food and the fact that they spend a lot of money at the canteen buying pop tarts, honeybuns, chips, candy bars, soda, etc. things very high in fat content. Also, the lack of exercise and physical activity.

This was planned IMO.
But there's no Krispy Kreme donuts

I'm hoping Water's cross-examination goes on for the rest of this afternoon, so that the jury has AM's lies on their mind over the weekend and AM's questioning is the last thing they hear before the weekend. Hoping for no other witnesses today.

IN some places I believe it is illegal to lie to LE, but unsure what circumstances. I'm sure a Lawyer will step in here:) Great question!
Last night, I heard a great response to this question-- unfortunately, it was not a murder case.

The defendant testified during the trial contrary to the information given to police which resulted in a perjury charge.

The penalty for perjury was sufficient to double the defendant's sentence for the felony conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AliceSprings