GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Mark Tinsley's testimony again after watching the Dateline and 20/20 specials. I think he really was key. He knew what pressure he was placing on Alex to hand over finacials. I can't recall if it was his testimony or his comments in one of the specials I watched, but there was a confrontation at some lawyer gathering where Alex walked up and basically asked him why he wasn't just going through the insurance. So Alex thought like in the past it would be the insurance that would payout and he wouldn't have to hand over any money or disclose his $$ situation. Mark knew Alex personally so he knew he wasn't broke. He knew that insurance money was not enough, it wasn't going to hurt Alex and hold him accountable for what happened so he pushed harder. I really think that pushing is what lead Alex to do what he did. I am not saying it's Mark's fault, I'm saying that without that pressure, Alex had time to continue stealing and covering it up. So Mark really was key in being able to tell LE EXACLY why Alex would have killed them. Many said because there was no life insurance, then there is no financial motive. WRONG and Mark Tinsley knew that!
Mark Tinsley seems like an honorable man and definitely was key in how this all played out.

I wonder if AM’s father died a few days before the killing if that would have changed anything. Most likely not, but he had to know he would be getting a large sum from his fathers will.

The estate was in trust and we don't know how the trust is structured, but I believe I read somewhere that the trust goes first to LM (Alec's mom) and then to the kids. At any rate, Alec needed the money yesterday (back then).

IMO.

I wonder if AM’s father died a few days before the killing if that would have changed anything. Most likely not, but he had to know he would be getting a large sum from his fathers will.

If I were Maggie, I think I would avoid visiting a divorce lawyer in the local area in order to keep it quiet. I'd probably head to Charleston for that.
i agree on that...she would go to Charleston...could not find anyone closer that did not know Alex or have some dealings with that firm. I still think she had done that or was thinking of it.

The estate was in trust and we don't know how the trust is structured, but I believe I read somewhere that the trust goes first to LM (Alec's mom) and then to the kids. At any rate, Alec needed the money yesterday (back then).

IMO.
I assume the big family payout will be upon the death of the mother and now he won't see any of that.

Agree, I was not saying AM was having an affair. I was expressing that the starting point for Peterson and Watts was an affair, I feel the starting point for AM was his dumpster fire finances, The common factor is that all 3 were protecting their reputations, choosing what they felt was best for them, trying to hide what they were up to and that’s where the motive is the same even though the starting point was different Moo

But we do not know that he was not having an affair. Nothing would surprise me. That photo of him taking a jello shot from the scantily clad young woman (where he's half naked) comes to mind. He was definitely partying.

IMO.

Totally agree about protecting reputations - I think that's way up on the list of motivations for all three killers under discussion. For Murdaugh, he also didn't want the horror of letting his wife and son know that he was up the creek without a paddle and they were not just broke, he was a criminal and would be going to jail, taking most of their assets to combat charges.

Many family annihilators believe they are doing the right thing for the victims ("saving them" from a fate worse than death). They may simultaneously believe that the dead family members are "better off" in heaven or where ever the killer believes they will go. They may also believe that some family members are "bad seed" and need to be offed (my great grandmother tried to kill my grandfather when he was about 18-19 years old; she was afraid of him and what he might do to other people; my dad sympathized with his grandmother, not with his father).

So in the end, the family annihilator feels quite justified and energized about their impending crime.

IMO.

I assume the big family payout will be upon the death of the mother and now he won't see any of that.

I assume the same. I read somewhere (but can't find it) that initially, the estate goes to LM (Alec's mom) and only after she's gone do the kids get theirs - as is quite common in marital wills.

I believe I heard on the Murdaugh Murders podcast that all the Murdaugh children (AM, RM, JMM, LG) got $4million EACH and that it is a structured trust that civil litigation cannot touch.... Like AM's 401k.... But you know who could have touched it? A spouse. Through a divorce.

JMO. moo

Last edited:
I believe I heard on the Murdaugh Murders podcast that all the Murdaugh children (AM, RM, JMM, LG) got $4million and that it is a structured trust that civil litigation cannot touch.... Like AM's 401k.... But you know who could have touched it? A spouse. Through a divorce.

JMO. moo

It's my understanding that if a person dips into a trust to pay for legal expenses, though, it's then touchable.

IANAL, especially not an estate lawyer, though. And that may be true only in some states. I think it's true for NY and CA.

IMO.

Did any of you read that Judge Newsome lost his son in January this year? From a heart attack - thinking that had something to do with some of what he said to Alex at sentencing ...

He's still grieving the loss of his son, while Alex intentionally took the life of Paul.

It's my understanding that if a person dips into a trust to pay for legal expenses, though, it's then touchable.

IANAL, especially not an estate lawyer, though. And that may be true only in some states. I think it's true for NY and CA.

IMO.
I also saw where AM had cashed out one of his retirement plans (I think ... which also incurred about a 40% penalty) and paid his defense team $600k.

Did any of you read that Judge Newsome lost his son in January this year? From a heart attack - thinking that had something to do with some of what he said to Alex at sentencing ...

He's still grieving the loss of his son, while Alex intentionally took the life of Paul.
Yes. I have so much respect for Judge Newsome.

IMO.
IMO, AM is strategically not touching the trust, but I don't see how he can benefit from it while he is serving 2 consecutive life sentences....

JMO. moo

But we do not know that he was not having an affair. Nothing would surprise me. That photo of him taking a jello shot from the scantily clad young woman (where he's half naked) comes to mind. He was definitely partying.

IMO.

Totally agree about protecting reputations - I think that's way up on the list of motivations for all three killers under discussion. For Murdaugh, he also didn't want the horror of letting his wife and son know that he was up the creek without a paddle and they were not just broke, he was a criminal and would be going to jail, taking most of their assets to combat charges.

Many family annihilators believe they are doing the right thing for the victims ("saving them" from a fate worse than death). They may simultaneously believe that the dead family members are "better off" in heaven or where ever the killer believes they will go. They may also believe that some family members are "bad seed" and need to be offed (my great grandmother tried to kill my grandfather when he was about 18-19 years old; she was afraid of him and what he might do to other people; my dad sympathized with his grandmother, not with his father).

So in the end, the family annihilator feels quite justified and energized about their impending crime.

IMO.
Yes, substitute money problems or affair, doesn’t really matter because the driving factor to choose murder was to hide their secret, protect their reputation, murder in their sick mind was the solution, path out of their problems Otherwise just get a divorce moo

If you are referring to the photo halfway down in the article linked below, that is from a video/photo Morgan Doughty submitted in her affidavit--and she says that it is her in the bikini giving Alex the shot.

My hat is off Tom Mr DeWitt. It’s tricky to report on bad things in a place where everybody knows everybody. I hope they will stick by him as I’m sure many in the area are Murtaugh’d out and want it to be behind them.
Yes, I too have enjoyed his input and commentary on the unfortunate going’s-on down in their home country. As myself being a Virginia native, going to school in North Carolina, friends there from New Jersey, New York, local, and elsewhere, and now living up north…… few can figure my accent or where I am from. I love the dialect and speaking down in those parts and Mr. DeWitt has been wonderful to hear anytime he speaks.
MO.

Last edited:
i agree on that...she would go to Charleston...could not find anyone closer that did not know Alex or have some dealings with that firm. I still think she had done that or was thinking of it.
Maybe it was a marriage counselor or a private investigator or a drug counselor for families and she just said divorce attorney hoping it wouldn't lead to more questions. IDK, just a guess of other professionals she could have seen instead of an attorney. If she really did see a divorce attorney, whomever she told will most likely never tell now. jmo

Agree, I was not saying AM was having an affair. I was expressing that the starting point for Peterson and Watts was an affair, I feel the starting point for AM was his dumpster fire finances, The common factor is that all 3 were protecting their reputations, choosing what they felt was best for them, trying to hide what they were up to and that’s where the motive is the same even though the starting point was different, all 3 were trying to hide something, can substitute money problems or affair, doesn’t make any difference.

Moo
In the case of Watts and Peterson, they weren't only trying to *HIDE* the affairs....they were attempting to ELIMINATE their spouses in order to *move on* to a new partners. ALL THREE are exemplar of narcissistic personalities. I must admit though, I still find it puzzling as to WHY AM summarily executed his wife and son in that kennel. He was literally chatting with them about a chicken in their dog's mouth MINUETS before shooting them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member