SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense was still claiming he had life insurance during the trial. Alex even testified to it. It was never challenged by the prosecution.

Alex was charged for insurance fraud at the time. It seems they are sticking with that charge and don't want to contradict it in any way so are accepting that he had insurance.

Nobody has ever presented proof of that insurance though. He didn't know what the life insurance company was when questioned about it at the time.
Just covering their story(Asses in a lie I'd bet). MOO

In NJ, NY and PA if your family member is a Lawyer, the Court does not want you to serve. As the family member of a Murder victim, I do not have to serve either. The Prosecution and Defense do question and weed out potential Jurors, as well, in big cases either/both sides sometimes hire behavior analysts, experts in Jury selection. Until this case, I'd never heard it done the way SC does. Seems strange to me. MOO

That's so interesting. I was really surprised to see an actual lawyer (criminal defense!) chosen for the last trial where I was called (it settled that same day).

The court typically doesn't want people like me, either (I've done jury consulting, and more importantly, I teach forensic methods classes - I will have a very different view on expert testimony and I can't unlearn what I already know). I could do a real estate contracts case, though. So it would depend on the case. I age out of our local system next year. Feels really weird.

Personally, I think there's little value to hiring behavioral analysts to try and predict juror behavior. Here in L.A. people hire "Communications Experts" in the role of jury consultant - but their job is to scour the internet to find out people's life stories and perhaps their hidden views on anything and everything. Almost every person has a digital trail. There's a group of three women with master's degrees in Communication Studies who are getting quite a bit of work for my nearest court. While I understand the reasoning behind that type of consulting, I am still not convinced that it yields the kinds of results that justify the expense. I suppose if you're Amber Heard or Johnny Depp, every little advantage matters.

I think the SC system is a bit more private and that might actually be an interesting variable to study.

All my opinion.

I just sent my Senator a message telling him what I think about Harpootlian and him discussing it on the Senate floor. I also sent Alan Wilson one and told him it is unethical in my opinion and he was a horrible representative of our State. He did say he keeps them separate and then first day back did not.
Excellent!! I may do the same thing.

We have met some great folk during this trial, especially the Judge, Kinsley, Waters and group, not forgetting PM's loyal friends.
They will now have a following.
Let us hope we'll hear about Bubba's latest adventures.

However, I would think, horrid AM will enjoy the continual spotlight on him, over the years.
The CREEP wants fame, of any kind, just to be talked about: being in the limelight.
I hope we see the deterioration in his appearance, over time.
Hee Hee.

Last edited:
This was known to the defense and the state, correct? All of the jurors were vetted and approved. Too late to make it an issue once he's served, imo.

Yes, this was discussed in chambers and was no secret.

Valerie Bauerlein
@vbauerlein

James is 22 yo; his brother Chad McDowell is 7 years older and was one of the CCSO deputies at Moselle that night. Both sides agreed in the judge's chambers that James could be a fair and impartial juror

6:10 AM · Mar 6, 2023
·

Yes, this was discussed in chambers and was no secret.

Valerie Bauerlein
@vbauerlein

James is 22 yo; his brother Chad McDowell is 7 years older and was one of the CCSO deputies at Moselle that night. Both sides agreed in the judge's chambers that James could be a fair and impartial juror

6:10 AM · Mar 6, 2023
·

After watching his interviews, I can see why the defense ok'd him. I think he'd hang a case if he believed in it.

Wouldn't it be great when the steps to move 'hidden money' are exposed.
Are further people implicated?
I guess, there is continual investigations continuing, exposing more of AM's activity over the years.
He couldn't care less, and will continue lying.
My thoughts about where some of the cash went was into buying the Edisto home. The “buyer” even went so far as to add an additional $35k onto of the asking price (July of 2022). If that doesn’t look suspicious then I don’t know what does. OMO.
And now the home is on the market again for approximately $1.1 million.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the basic timeline of events. Just hadn't read anything about the extend of searches of the property etc. He surely could have dumped stuff near his mothers house. A few other questions I had; 1) Why would he take MM's phone and not PM's? Was smart to not dump it with any other evidence he disposed of. 2) Was there any testimony about why calls from that evening were not found in his phone's call log? He had to know that they would be retrievable via other means. 3) Did his mother's caregiver testify about what AM was wearing when he arrived there that night? Cheers.

I believe MM's phone was in the golf cart and Alec failed to realize that when he drove it back to the house. He then started calling MM's phone (or using FindMy) and located the phone. Realizing he couldn't take it back to the kennel area, he tossed it (apparently forgetting his car had GPS? This was an unexpected complication - that phone not being with Maggie, on her person).

Something like that, anyway. There's almost always some big oversight, esp. in a double murder.

IMO.

My thoughts about where some of the cash went was into buying the Edisto home. The “buyer” even went so far as to add an additional $35k onto of the asking price (July of 2022). If that doesn’t look suspicious then I don’t know what does. OMO.
And now the home is on the market again for approximately $1.1 million.

There were multiple offers on the Edisto property and no surprise the recently remodeled house would receive an offer $35K above the asking price. The sale of Edisto was approved by the Court and AM was not involved here.

At MM's death, the Edisto beach house had a regular mortgage with a balance in excess of $200K (i.e., not a HELOC), in addition to being used as collateral and other wheelings by AM with Palmetto Bank.

We know the M's built their former residence in Hampton around 2000 and had lived there for 18 years when AM was being interviewed about GS's 2018 accidental fall (that occurred at Moselle), and MM's sister testified they bought the Edisto house a few years after building the house in Hampton. MOO

ETA: Confirming AA/MM purchased the Edisto beach house in 2002 at $415K.

Last edited:
We know as early as Nov 2021, AM's assets were frozen and a receiver was appointed by the Court.

This report from May 2022 details assets belonging to AM being sold by Buster (with the court receiver's approval) to pay some of AM's expenses including the Florida rehab center.

He and Alex both attended the University of South Carolina Law School and worked at their family's personal injury firm — Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick — together but were not particularly close.

"It’s not like there was some problem with our relationship, necessarily," Randy told the Times. "We just really weren’t alike, so we didn’t do stuff together."

I wonder if he means they ‘weren’t alike’ because Alex is wacko and he isn’t?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay