SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just noting that it looks like the defense sat on that juicy bit, deciding to take their chances with the seated jury, hoping for acquittal, saving the juicy bit for appeal, if need be.

Whatever happened, whatever was intended, it's not a good look.

jmo

I don't understand these many posts. Are we now blaming the defense lawyer for the alleged criminal conduct and civil rights violations of a court official? I missed any reporting where the defense attys were engaged in inappropriate exparte meetings with the jury.

jmo
For my part, I’m not blaming the defense lawyer or excusing any inappropriate action by the clerk of courts.

I totally believe that IF IT IS PROVEN that the clerk either made ANY comments to the jury about the trial (witnesses or evidence or guilty verdict) or suggested they shouldn’t take long deliberating, etc that she should be held accountable and at the very least charged with contempt of court and removed from office for misconduct according to the SC Code regarding removing elected county officials from office.

Now, if her private conversations with the foreperson turn out to have not been about the trial and it is not proven that she made statements to the jury about the trial and verdict, then perhaps she should not be removed from office but perhaps sanctioned some other way. And regardless of what was said at Moselle if she did have any conversation with the foreperson or any other juror then she directly violated the court’s order and should still be charged with contempt of court.

There’s a lot of “ifs” in there because I do think it has to be more than accusations - must be proven in court - and I would not want to be the one who has to determine who is telling the truth as I do expect conflicting testimony when they have that hearing.

I also believe it was inappropriate for her to go with the jury members who went to NY for the NBC interview and to write the book and I believe if nothing else is proven, voters should hold her accountable for putting her 15 minutes of fame above the integrity and interests of the court when and vote for someone else in next year’s election.

BUT I also think the defense attorney - any attorney - has a responsibility to report a violation of a judge’s order. The judge had clearly stated there was to be NO conversation at Moselle. If an attorney witnessed that he should have immediately reported it to the court. I‘m not a lawyer but I’m pretty sure the ABA Code of Conduct has a section on a lawyer’s responsibility to report misconduct of another lawyer so surely the role of an officer of the court incudes the responsibility to report misconduct of court officials.

And I think the rules regarding motions for new trials must be followed and if the rule says the defense can only use information that was not available during the trial then they should not be allowed to use the alleged Moselle conversation since they were aware of it during the trial. They should have brought it to the courts attention during the trial and asked for a mistrial before the conclusion of the trial.

And I still have questions as to whether or not the defense team questioning of the jury members was done in such a way that it may have lead to certain responses and whether those affidavits will stand up in court under cross examinations.

So I’m not yet convinced that the motion for a new trial will be or should be granted or what part of the alleged actions of the clerk will be considered in the hearing and I think that determination will answer the question of whether or not a different outcome would have been likely as I am still unclear on that requirement.

But my concerns regarding whether or not a motion for new trial should be granted or even remanded to the circuit court by the appeals court in no way diminish my concerns regarding the actions of the clerk of courts and the need to hold her accountable if any of these accusations hold up in court.

ADMIN NOTE:

From The Rules: Etiquette & Information

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people who are the focus of our discussion here, it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness, name calling, name changes/variations, and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Initials may be used, and are encouraged.

I don't understand these many posts. Are we now blaming the defense lawyer for the alleged criminal conduct and civil rights violations of a court official? I missed any reporting where the defense attys were engaged in inappropriate exparte meetings with the jury.

jmo
I don't see it as blaming, I see it as questioning IF one of the defense lawyers saw and knew what was happening, then isn't it in his clients best interest to bring that up immediately? Why wait? Was it because they wanted to see if the verdict was not guilty first then they raise the issue after the fact?

I don't see it as blaming, I see it as questioning IF one of the defense lawyers saw and knew what was happening, then isn't it in his clients best interest to bring that up immediately? Why wait? Was it because they wanted to see if the verdict was not guilty first then they raise the issue after the fact?

I see your point, but I also see what I would do. If I was the attorney on this case and I noticed this, it would not sit well with me. But at the same time, I would expect it to be benign. I would never expect it to end up being what it has been alleged to have been. So I can understand how he let it go. Imo these allegations are extremely troublesome. I only wish people would worry more about that than they do the players involved.

jmo

I see your point, but I also see what I would do. If I was the attorney on this case and I noticed this, it would not sit well with me. But at the same time, I would expect it to be benign. I would never expect it to end up being what it has been alleged to have been. So I can understand how he let it go. Imo these allegations are extremely troublesome. I only wish people would worry more about that than they do the players involved.

jmo
I think in this case it's more so to do with the unlikability of one of the defense attorneys. It seems many shady or questionable things have been done or said in this trial and I understand it's their job, but there is also a way to do things that doesn't come across as shady or sneaky.

I am concerned about the allegations, but I also know who it's coming from and how they behaved during the trial and so I have doubts that what they claim is actually what happened. Had they not been shady and awful during the trial I might take an allegation they make a bit more seriously.

Are we supposed to accept as the honest truth a "sworn" statement by a convicted double murderer, who has lied to law enforcement, lied under oath in court, and a man who just pleaded guilty to a gazillion financial crimes? How can this affidavit even be taken seriously? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:OMO.

1695408307834.png

I think in this case it's more so to do with the unlikability of one of the defense attorneys. It seems many shady or questionable things have been done or said in this trial and I understand it's their job, but there is also a way to do things that doesn't come across as shady or sneaky.

I am concerned about the allegations, but I also know who it's coming from and how they behaved during the trial and so I have doubts that what they claim is actually what happened. Had they not been shady and awful during the trial I might take an allegation they make a bit more seriously.

[BBM]

But, that's the thing. "They" aren't making the claims, and this is the thing I think people are missing. Fellow jurors are. They just wrote it up. Because they are the ones admitted to practice before the courts.

jmo

Are we supposed to accept as the honest truth a "sworn" statement by a convicted double murderer, who has lied to law enforcement, lied under oath in court, and a man who just pleaded guilty to a gazillion financial crimes? How can this affidavit even be taken seriously? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:OMO.

View attachment 448716

How would he know? Do you believe Becky Hill had a meeting with him and told him? Imo of course he wouldn't know. If he knew that's an IMMEDIATE move for a mistrial. Not a decision to sit there and be convicted.

jmo

View attachment 448716
The last thing I want to do is front for Alex Murdaugh, but the state basically insisted that he file this affadavit or they'd have the motion for a new trial thrown out as deficient.

jmo
Harpootlian never lets anything go, just rewatch the trial as he drones on and on and on.

MOO

The last thing I want to do is front for Alex Murdaugh, but the state basically insisted that he file this affadavit or they'd have the motion for a new trial thrown out as deficient.
Yes, because the Defense filed it incorrectly. I'm sorry but that makes me laugh a little. These 2 high priced, vocal, camera loving attorneys didn't prepare their filing correctly. :p

How would he know? Do you believe Becky Hill had a meeting with him and told him? Imo of course he wouldn't know. If he knew that's an IMMEDIATE move for a mistrial. Not a decision to sit there and be convicted.

jmo
Meh - I'm of the opinion there should have been a mistrial declared the instant the Jury arrived at Moselle to view the shady set-up of the scene with the bike, planter et al by the Defence. That well-displayed shadiness by them isn't doing anything for me in being able to put it past them that they'd be above revert to more shady things.

It'll be interseting to see the resuts of the investigation IMO.

[BBM]

But, that's the thing. "They" aren't making the claims, and this is the thing I think people are missing. Fellow jurors are. They just wrote it up. Because they are the ones admitted to practice before the courts.

jmo
Yes, fellow jurors are making the alleged claims.

The same Jurors who swore an oath to only consider the evidence presented at trial to render an impartial and unbiased verdict.

The same Jurors who thus signed the Verdict Sheet as "Guilty' being their true verdict.

The same Jurors who answered in the affirmative, while still sworn in, in court, when polled whether or not this was their True Verdict answered in the affirmative "Yes" --- each --- individually.

Other Jurors are denying those claims. As previously stated, the investgation, and time, will tell as to what's the truth of these allegations. Regardless, perjury has already occured no(??) - either when they were polled, when they signed the Verdict form or with the current claims I would think.

[BBM]

jmo
You make a very good point! The attorneys are doing their job. I don't believe it unusual that the defense contacted the jurors after they leave court. It happened to me when on was a jury for a medical malpractice case that lasted nearly a month. Jury deliberations lasted a week and were very, very heated. The defendant was found to be not guilty, but it wasn't unanimous.

My phone was ringing when I arrived home. It was the plaintiff's attorney. He asked me a lot of questions and I answered honestly. I was asked to stop by the attorney's office on my way to work the next morning to sign my affidavit. I know I wasn't the only juror contacted. The Judge declared a mistrial.

JMO

I just watched this on Netflix what is the general consensus on if he killed them?

I can’t make my mind up he was obviously there but was he capable of pulling the trigger.

I just watched this on Netflix what is the general consensus on if he killed them?

I can’t make my mind up he was obviously there but was he capable of pulling the trigger.
After watching the entire trial, seeing and hearing wittness testimony, there is no doubt in my mind that he's guilty. JMO YMMV

I actually thought maybe the defense woukd filibuster the trial there at the end in order to give another juror an opportunity for excusal (trial reasons, medical reasons, etc) to force the mistrial.

If Harpootlian saw misconduct during the field trip or any time during the trial, why didn't he bring it to the Court's attention?

I don't think our beloved judge is amused.

Jmo
It is a good question, one that will be interesting to see if we get an answer.

However, I’m playing devil’s advocate and trying to “explain” it if I was Harpootlian, I think there’s some details he could counter with. Like, on 2/28 when Judge Newman said he was “not pleased” with what the Clerk did in talking to a juror before him; he says in his own words what sounds like a concern, Harpootlian could try to say that in this example the Judge was made aware of a concern, he expressed his own concern, but still did not (from what we know publicly) do anything about that concern regarding his Clerk. This was a few days before the trip to the property. If by this time Harpootlian and Griffin had seen other examples where the Judge may not have taken some of their concerns seriously, then maybe they saw little point in bringing it up then?
Who knows. We only have two partial transcripts and one with several missing pages in their Motion, but it is a good question. IF he did see anything at that jury visit then the question of why he did not bring it up then is important.

Though, to be really clear, I am not sure if we know that he did not bring it up after it happened, right? JMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces