SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
X Feed

2 hours ago

@CharlieCondon You can find a link to all our podcast episodes (on all platforms) on the Murdaugh case at this link, which is also in my bio for quick reference. https://link.chtbl.com/MurdaughMurdersPodcast …

2 hours ago
We broke down the AG's filing in our last podcast episode, noting they cited a 50+ year old decision to claim Murdaugh's jury tampering filing was defective. @CharlieCondon's take wasn't so biting as Harpootlian and Griffin's today, but he agreed the AG's filing was a "punt."

2 hours ago
Alex Murdaugh's lawyers have responded to the AG's office re: the request for a hearing on alleged jury tampering. Basically they say the AG's filing Friday was a "mulish," "bad faith" delay tactic, but they've provided the requested affidavit from Murdaugh himself nonetheless.

5 hours ago
Harpootlian did concede that he and Griffin and their co-counsel also quite vigorously fought the receivers to get additional attorney fees for themselves out of Murdaugh's assets after exhausting $600K they got from his funds in the murder trial. They lost that fight.

6 hours ago
I asked Murdaugh's lawyers how they believe the state will respond to this forfeiture order insofar as it opposes the state's receivership order. Harpootlian: "Not well." He and Griffin frame this as "stopping the bleeding —a jab at receivers asking for attorney fees from funds.

6 hours ago
Another big development clarified in post-hearing press conference. Judge Gergel's forfeiture order signed as part of the plea deal is immediate. Harpootlian and Griffin say they take that to mean the feds will seize Murdaugh’s assets currently controlled by state.

6 hours ago
Court is adjourned. Murdaugh's guilty plea is official. The most noteworthy new information from the hearing: Federal prosecutor Emily Limehouse says while Murdaugh admits to nearly $9 million in fraud proceeds, the govt. believes it's actually over $10.5 million.

7 hours ago
I'm in court for Alex Murdaugh's guilty plea hearing on his 22 federal fraud and money laundering charges. Follow along my live blog here. https://abcnews4.com/news/local/former-attorney-alex-murdaugh-expected-to-plead-guilty-thursday-to-multimillion-dollar-theft-from-clients-full-cooperation-self-incriminating-facts-wciv-south-carolina-sc-maggie-paul-buster-charleston-court# …

I will be on NewsNation with Brian Entin as host at about 8:00 to 8:20 tonight to discuss Alex Murdaugh’s Guilty Plea he entered today to all 22 Federal Court Felony counts for the Federal financial crimes. I will be discussing the repercussions from the guilty plea. It was a monumental day. Sentencing will be down the road after federal probation and parole completes his pre-sentence report. Watch if you can. Thank you. EB

Actually, he’s still under Bond by the state for murder, and the financial crimes, for which he has not made bond for either crime. He becomes a state detainee, and he’s remanded to Alvin S Glenn jail in Columbia. Right now there’s no bond for his murder charge and 7 million for the financial crime charges with no 10%. It’s a full 7 million technically if his bond is lowered and he can make it and they give him bond for the new murder trial, and he can make it when the jail house doors open up, the feds will come and grab him as a result of his federal guilty plea today. I’m pretty sure that’s what the landscape will look like. Technically there’s a couple chess moves that have to be made and a little bit of luck and maybe Alex conserve the beginning of his time in federal prison. Small percentage of that though. Bottom line he’s either going to be serving his time in state prison for murders and financial crimes, or in federal prison for financial crimes but I don’t think he’s ever going to get a clean fresh breath of air outside of prison either for the rest of his life, or for more years, and I will remain on this earth. God willing. EB

From part 2 of the Netflix series, the only new (to me) info came from Dr. Kenny Kensey who offered that the State offered to clean up the crime scene at the kennels-- as is standard practice, and that Murdaugh's declined the offer. In other words, there was no reason for AM's brother JM to clean up the mess AM left behind.
I like the dr. He’s very good at explaining things in an understandable way. I agree that the 2nd season didn’t have much new, although I liked that Blanca & Miss Shelley’s testimony was expounded upon. I wish they had more of an update on the boat kids. I know Miley & Connor have a child now. And poor Anthony Cook breaks my heart so I hope he’s coping with things in a healthy way. Yes, it was about AM but they were very featured in the 1st season. Maybe we’ll get a season 3—settlement of the boat case, his guilty plea to the financial crimes & possible appeal.
~~~~~
Eta: I forgot to say I think AM did it alone. I just can’t see him admitting to anyone that he was either going to do it and wanted help or did do it and needed clean up help. I think he’s the type that always needed to be the Big Man who people go to to get help, never being vulnerable enough to need his own help.

Episode #41 released tonight is excellent!

S2E41: Jury tampering & Cory Fleming updates
Prosecutors respond to Murdaugh's allegations of jury tampering; Judge Newman sentences Cory Fleming to 20 years on fraud, money laundering charges.

I do think the jury got it right when they came back with a guilty verdict but I saw part of the program with Buster’s interview which also had the CFO on it and the 911 call AM made that night and it reminded me that I still have a little trouble grasping a couple of things and hoping some of you can help…

1) On the 911 call, AM says “my wife and child” have been shot bad - I found it a bit odd that he would say “child” instead of “son” when referring to Paul who was 22 years old and in interviews and testimony later he referred to him as his son or Paul or PawPaw but I don’t recall him ever referring to him as “my child” any time other than the 911 call. It came across to me as a bit strange - perhaps rehearsed or something and I was just wondering if any of you thought anything of it - or would it be a normal thing to say in the low country rather than saying my wife and son?

2) I‘m still puzzled about why he did it or what made him decide to do it or when he decided to do it. If I follow the timeline correctly…

AM was at the law firm from roughly 12:30pm to 6:30pm that day. Sometime between the time he got there and 4pm, the CFO confronted him about the missing money - at least what she knew at the time. During their conversation, he got a call from his mother’s caretaker who asked him to come by to check in on his mother who was distraught and agitated as his father was in the hospital and being told there was nothing more they could do. (I think he was sent home the next day and then died at home a few days later - but he wasn’t home on the 7th.) The CFO tried to console AM about the news regarding his father and did not pursue the conversation about the money any further as she thought he was leaving to go see to his parents. Then he called her around 4pm to ask about his retirement account balance as he was working on financial disclosures for the upcoming boat accident case and she was surprised he was still there. He stayed another couple of hours before heading home to Moselle. He did not go to the hospital or to his mother’s but straight to Moselle.

He arrived there roughly 6:45pm - about 20 minutes before Paul arrived. About 30 minutes after Paul arrives, he films the video of AM and the tree. And roughly 30 to 45 minutes after that Maggie gets to Moselle and they all eat dinner prepared by the housekeeper. Roughly 20 - 30 minutes after Maggie gets to Moselle they are at the kennels and 5 - 10 minutes later, Paul records the kennel video and about 5 minutes after that, Paul & Maggie are dead.

So did being confronted about the money set him off? Was it stewing about the financial reports he was putting together that afternoon? Did he think if Paul was dead the lawsuit would go away? If so why kill Maggie? Why not shoot Paul when they were out shooting earlier in the evening and say it was an accidental shooting? Did it have nothing to do with Paul and it was really Maggie he wanted gone because she was getting suspicious about their finances? No, it had to be both of them - there were two guns and he waited for both of them to be together. It would have made more sense if he had life insurance on one or both of them…and why didn’t he anyway - at least on Maggie?

If he decided to do it after the CFO confronted him or after working on the financial disclosures, when did he have time to put the guns down there by the kennels? Did he do that in the 20 minutes he was at the property that evening before Paul arrived?

Had he decided to do this before he went to his office that afternoon? (Before he was ever confronted about the money) Is that why he didn’t go to work until after lunch? Did he use the extra time that morning to set up for what he was going to do that night?

Whether before work or after work, he had to have had it set up when he was out riding around with Paul and laughing about a tree falling over. Could he do that knowing in a couple of hours his son would be dead at his on hands?

Or did he have the guns there before Paul & Maggie arrived at Moselle? Paul was at the kennels for about 10 minutes before Maggie got to Moselle. Was AM with him? Did he put the guns there then? What reason might he have given Paul for doing that?

Or did he take the guns with him when he went to the kennels with Maggie & Paul after dinner? What reason would he have given both of them for bringing the guns at that time?

Did Paul and/or Maggie see the guns that would be used to shoot them that night? Did one of them help him carry them to the kennels?

I know I’m trying to make some sense out of a senseless act, but these are just some of the questions still running through my mind and I realize they may only be answered with speculation at this point, but if any of you would like to speculate, please do.

I do think the jury got it right when they came back with a guilty verdict but I saw part of the program with Buster’s interview which also had the CFO on it and the 911 call AM made that night and it reminded me that I still have a little trouble grasping a couple of things and hoping some of you can help…

1) On the 911 call, AM says “my wife and child” have been shot bad - I found it a bit odd that he would say “child” instead of “son” when referring to Paul who was 22 years old and in interviews and testimony later he referred to him as his son or Paul or PawPaw but I don’t recall him ever referring to him as “my child” any time other than the 911 call. It came across to me as a bit strange - perhaps rehearsed or something and I was just wondering if any of you thought anything of it - or would it be a normal thing to say in the low country rather than saying my wife and son?

2) I‘m still puzzled about why he did it or what made him decide to do it or when he decided to do it. If I follow the timeline correctly…

AM was at the law firm from roughly 12:30pm to 6:30pm that day. Sometime between the time he got there and 4pm, the CFO confronted him about the missing money - at least what she knew at the time. During their conversation, he got a call from his mother’s caretaker who asked him to come by to check in on his mother who was distraught and agitated as his father was in the hospital and being told there was nothing more they could do. (I think he was sent home the next day and then died at home a few days later - but he wasn’t home on the 7th.) The CFO tried to console AM about the news regarding his father and did not pursue the conversation about the money any further as she thought he was leaving to go see to his parents. Then he called her around 4pm to ask about his retirement account balance as he was working on financial disclosures for the upcoming boat accident case and she was surprised he was still there. He stayed another couple of hours before heading home to Moselle. He did not go to the hospital or to his mother’s but straight to Moselle.

He arrived there roughly 6:45pm - about 20 minutes before Paul arrived. About 30 minutes after Paul arrives, he films the video of AM and the tree. And roughly 30 to 45 minutes after that Maggie gets to Moselle and they all eat dinner prepared by the housekeeper. Roughly 20 - 30 minutes after Maggie gets to Moselle they are at the kennels and 5 - 10 minutes later, Paul records the kennel video and about 5 minutes after that, Paul & Maggie are dead.

So did being confronted about the money set him off? Was it stewing about the financial reports he was putting together that afternoon? Did he think if Paul was dead the lawsuit would go away? If so why kill Maggie? Why not shoot Paul when they were out shooting earlier in the evening and say it was an accidental shooting? Did it have nothing to do with Paul and it was really Maggie he wanted gone because she was getting suspicious about their finances? No, it had to be both of them - there were two guns and he waited for both of them to be together. It would have made more sense if he had life insurance on one or both of them…and why didn’t he anyway - at least on Maggie?

If he decided to do it after the CFO confronted him or after working on the financial disclosures, when did he have time to put the guns down there by the kennels? Did he do that in the 20 minutes he was at the property that evening before Paul arrived?

Had he decided to do this before he went to his office that afternoon? (Before he was ever confronted about the money) Is that why he didn’t go to work until after lunch? Did he use the extra time that morning to set up for what he was going to do that night?

Whether before work or after work, he had to have had it set up when he was out riding around with Paul and laughing about a tree falling over. Could he do that knowing in a couple of hours his son would be dead at his on hands?

Or did he have the guns there before Paul & Maggie arrived at Moselle? Paul was at the kennels for about 10 minutes before Maggie got to Moselle. Was AM with him? Did he put the guns there then? What reason might he have given Paul for doing that?

Or did he take the guns with him when he went to the kennels with Maggie & Paul after dinner? What reason would he have given both of them for bringing the guns at that time?

Did Paul and/or Maggie see the guns that would be used to shoot them that night? Did one of them help him carry them to the kennels?

I know I’m trying to make some sense out of a senseless act, but these are just some of the questions still running through my mind and I realize they may only be answered with speculation at this point, but if any of you would like to speculate, please do.
Perhaps all those reasons but he was playing the long shell game and IMO he figured on this "(double) tragedy" buying him time. He desperately needed time. Like a kid who pulls the fire alarm because he didn't study for the test, AM must have expected that, if he could create a big enough diversion, he could buy time to continuing robbing Peter and bluffing Paul, until the next day and the next.

Let that sink in. Maggie and PauPau, a diversion for him.

That's freezing cold.

Jmo

Why does anyone think these jurors would commit the criminal offense of perjury for kicks?

jmo
Wouldn't they have already done this when as sworn Jurors then, when individually polled, showed agreement without negative implications to the validity of the verdict / that they were acating and rendering their verdict vote based on the evidence and being impartial etc? So which time is the truth?

Probly in a senior moment I am not catching on to your statement. What guy needs investigating, I'm sure I'll agree ~TIA
JMOO but I think the State wants some more time to continue looking into things, arguing over some technicalities and not addressing any specific claim whatsoever is certainly one way to do that now. Obviously it’s understandable if they have some hesitation, as that Clerk works on all the cases there, and if they reveal improper conduct in one case, could others be questioned too? Definitely is a slippery slope there.

I also think (but I am skeptical) that they include nothing to backup the “significant factual disputes” claim, not even one. JMOO but if they had anything of substance to refute any specific claims, and if they didn’t really want a hearing and/or new trial, then they’d include something to shut down defense claims. But if they don’t have anything yet, or if what they have may give the defense more room to respond, then it makes sense that they’re arguing over little details at this stage.
I think the state picked up on the comment made by <derogatory nickname> during the presser. I posted about his specific comment from that Presser way back when it occured - that <derogatory nickname> had stated during the conference that he watched a Juror being pulled aside and speaking alone with the Clerk during the Jury's visit to the crime scene - despite the fact that the Judge had ordered no communications to be undertaken out there; combined with the fact that <derogatory nicknamed> "saw" this occur yet did not speak up at the time.

That's:
1) If it happened, clearly against the Judge's orders;
2) If it happened, clearly the Clerk communicating privately with a Juror;
3) If it happened, clearly witnessed by a Defence Attorney;
4) Cleary occured WHILE the trial was underway (see the SCAG response to understand the importance of that bit; and
5) <derogatory nickname> has some explaining to do.

I read it that the State, if so found, is ready to argue the facts of the allegation in front of the Judge. I don't think they're going to disclose their response in a press conference on the court house steps like Harpoot and Griffin did.

On the other hand, Dick and Jim love a good publicity op.

MOO
You're not wrong IMO. That particular publicity stunt of a Presser combined with <derogatory nickname> need for the verbal diarrhea may just be his undoing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thought maybe the defense woukd filibuster the trial there at the end in order to give another juror an opportunity for excusal (trial reasons, medical reasons, etc) to force the mistrial.

If Harpootlian saw misconduct during the field trip or any time during the trial, why didn't he bring it to the Court's attention?

I don't think our beloved judge is amused.

Jmo

If Harpootlian saw misconduct during the field trip or any time during the trial, why didn't he bring it to the Court's attention?

One thing I just remembered that I haven't seen pointed out...

Judge Newman was AT the Moselle visit with the jury and BH. He rode separately, but he was there on site with everyone. If he didn't see it, but Dick did...Dick had immediate access to tell Judge Newman about it.

"12 jurors and 2 alternates met at the Colleton County Courthouse on Wednesday morning where they were loaded into several transport vans and sent on their way to Moselle, according to pool reports. Judge Clifton Newman rode separately in a pick-up truck that was driven by Colleton County Sheriff’s Office Captain Jason Chapman."

It was the day before the trial was set to end. So, obviously, this would not be something you would see and decide to just go home and think about it for a while before saying something.

I don't understand these many posts. Are we now blaming the defense lawyer for the alleged criminal conduct and civil rights violations of a court official? I missed any reporting where the defense attys were engaged in inappropriate exparte meetings with the jury.

jmo

As an Officer of the Court, didn't Harpootlian have a duty to report any fraternizing of which he was aware? Saving it for appeal doesn't strike me as his decision to make. Seems like it belongs to the judge to decide.

jmo

I don't understand these many posts. Are we now blaming the defense lawyer for the alleged criminal conduct and civil rights violations of a court official? I missed any reporting where the defense attys were engaged in inappropriate exparte meetings with the jury.

jmo
Nope; just pointing out that by his own presser statement he allegedly witnessed the Clerk pull aside a Juror to have a private conversation contrary to the Judge's orders and in contravention of all known protocols for Court staff yet decided to say nothing while the trial was in session of these private conversations the Clerk was having with Jurors.

So, is it really "new" evidence or is the Harpoot Cheese rotten in Denmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces