SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC didn't the judge query both the Prosecution and Defense and both were satisfied with the judge's action? I think I felt at the time that the judge was being especially judicial in order to be transparent about the sitiation and ruling, protect the defendant's rifht to a fair trial as well as securd the trial to proceed, both sides concurring, as a weigh to document and resolve it and save it from the fires of appeal.

Am I remembering that right?

I swear I recall the Defense agreeing to it.

JMO

If you're talking about the hearing that Judge Toal held, then no, the defense objected at several points. They specifically objected to the legal standard she was using, that they were not allowed to ask any questions of the jurors, and that the judge refused to admit an affidavit from one of the jurors. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure they objected at other times as well.

I'm not surprised one bit by either of these filings by the D. BH caused a lot of unnecessary turmoil with her unprofessional actions, but I honestly believe the verdicts on AM's Criminal conviction and Financial convictions will stand.

Even if the worst case scenario does happen and a retrial is granted, I believe AM would be found guilty again for Maggie and Paul's murders.

JMO

I'm not surprised one bit by either of these filings by the D. BH caused a lot of unnecessary turmoil with her unprofessional actions, but I honestly believe the verdicts on AM's Criminal conviction and Financial convictions will stand.

Even if the worst case scenario does happen and a retrial is granted, I believe AM would be found guilty again for Maggie and Paul's murders.

JMO
What a waste of resources and court time. Glad I’m not a SC taxpayer. :mad:

JMO

I don’t think he could beat a conviction but at this point I think he has a valid argument on the fair trial issue.

The Devil at His Elbow was delivered to my doorstep this evening. Right now starting Chapt. 5. It’s a good read — I can’t put it down. Already learning things I hadn’t read before — a lot! Wonderful style (IMHO), but of course, she’s a WSJ writer.

So nice to read this family history and case summary in eloquent prose — proper syntax, AP style, well edited, and seemingly, researched responsibly. A front note gives sources and protocols she followed to backup everything she wrote — don’t think we will discover speculation, exaggeration, or rumor in this tomb. MOO. There are photos, too, but pretty much things we have already seen.

Last edited:
I have gotten far enough along in The Devil at His Elbow to read how pervasive, profound, and generational integrity issues were with the M solicitors both personally and in their roles as attorneys — jury tampering, bootlegging, paramours, tax fraud, insurance fraud, manipulation and intimidates left and right, etc. — Baurlein gives much more grounded descriptions than what has been sometimes alluded to in MSM context articles.

This brings to mind “Juror Z.” Trying to figure out how intimidating or influential a couple of unprofessional leading comments by the clerk of court would be compared to taking in six weeks of evidence, AM’s overacting at the defense table and on the stand, Creighton Water’s thorough closing statement and Johnny Meador’s brilliant final argument? Makes me wonder if there could be other motivations at play. To start with, in voir dire, jurors state that they are confident they will be able to only consider the evidence presented in the trial and nothing else they might hear or see outside the courtroom.

Was she one of the jurors who after the trial ended, defense counsel went knocking on their doors? Just my musings. Pardon my cynicism.

Mandy Pearce has identified herself as Juror Z - the sole juror who claims her guilty verdict was swayed by court clerk Becky Hill.

Myra Crosby has revealed that she is the 'Egg Juror' who infamously asked if she could pick up her eggs and purse when she was dismissed from the case.

Mandy Pearce has identified herself as Juror Z - the sole juror who claims her guilty verdict was swayed by court clerk Becky Hill.

Myra Crosby has revealed that she is the 'Egg Juror' who infamously asked if she could pick up her eggs and purse when she was dismissed from the case.

Maybe someone can help me understand something…….

If this juror, an alternate, was dismissed from the case and before jury deliberations began……. how exactly did she render a vote in the guilty verdict?

IIUC that would be virtually impossible, if not a certainty. SMH. IANAL. MOO

If this juror, an alternate, was dismissed from the case and before jury deliberations began……. how exactly did she render a vote in the guilty verdict?

I think you maybe be mixing up two different jurors.

Juror Z was part of the deliberations. Her name is Mandy Pearce and she claims that Becky Hill influenced her.

The other one is Myra Crosby, the so-called 'egg juror'. She did not deliberate, although she believes she was dismissed improperly.

Both have come forward in recent days.

Last edited:

1) I wonder how anyone (especially BH) knew which way the Egg Lady was even leaning before she was dismissed. I thought jurors weren’t supposed to discuss the case with anyone *including each other* until the deliberations started. Is that correct?

2) And as I wondered before, the Daily Mail article indicates that Juror Z was provoked by Poot and Griffey with their questions when they showed up at her home *after* the trial and sentencing were all complete. Juror Z made a decision to add her vote of guilty to the other 11 — no one twisted her arm or threatened her. Just not clear to me how after six intense weeks of evidence, AM’s blubbering and snot, and prosecution’s strong closing summaries how BH could have been that big an influence? Jury instructions were to only consider the evidence presented in court, not irresponsible passing comments a juror might have heard outside the courtroom (be they from a family member, or whispers at the grocery store, or BH). BH was wrong to give any indication of how she was personally feeling but seems like this juror didn’t follow Judge Newman’s instructions.

OMO.

1) I wonder how anyone (especially BH) knew which way the Egg Lady was even leaning before she was dismissed. I thought jurors weren’t supposed to discuss the case with anyone *including each other* until the deliberations started. Is that correct?
^^rsbm

Wasn't this one of the reasons Egg lady was dismissed from the panel -- it was cited she discussed the case with her former spouse who made comments on FB(??). IIRC, AM's team had issues with Egg Lady being removed because they believed she was favorable towards the defense.

Then again, I could be misremembering -- it's been a while! JMO ;)

^^rsbm

Wasn't this one of the reasons Egg lady was dismissed from the panel -- it was cited she discussed the case with her former spouse who made comments on FB(??). IIRC, AM's team had issues with Egg Lady being removed because they believed she was favorable towards the defense.

Then again, I could be misremembering -- it's been a while! JMO ;)
So Egg Lady’s discussions indicating her leaning toward a “not guilty” vote got back to BH and that was her motivation for getting Egg Lady bumped? I recall all the shenanigans about allegedly talking to a former husband who, as it turned out, wasn’t her former husband. It was all confusing but boiled down to her talking to tenants or something.

I also remember P & G not wanting her dismissed (because they surmised she was favoring them) — and incidentally at that point, how would they know how she was leaning? Just watching her reactions in the court room?

So Egg Lady’s discussions indicating her leaning toward a “not guilty” vote got back to BH and that was her motivation for getting Egg Lady bumped? I recall all the shenanigans about allegedly talking to a former husband who, as it turned out, wasn’t her former husband. It was all confusing but boiled down to her talking to tenants or something.

I also remember P & G not wanting her dismissed (because they surmised she was favoring them) — and incidentally at that point, how would they know how she was leaning? Just watching her reactions in the court room?
I think the defense blamed their stance against dismissing this particular juror on Sled. They didn't think the agency was worthy to ask this juror questions or investigate misconduct by a juror.... JMO

I think there were two separate things going on with the Egg Juror:

1 - She supposedly said some things to her tenants about the trial and they signed affidavits to that effect. Now she's saying that she never discussed the trial with them.

2 - Someone with the same name as her ex-husband posted on Facebook about some issue with a relative. Somehow, Becky Hill saw this post and took it to the judge, believing that it involved the Egg Juror. In actuality it turns out to have been about something completely different.

Whether or not BH was improperly involved in #2, the judge would have likely removed the Egg Juror anyways just because of #1, which did not involve BH.

I think you maybe be mixing up two different jurors.

Juror Z was part of the deliberations. Her name is Mandy Pearce and she claims that Becky Hill influenced her.

The other one is Myra Crosby, the so-called 'egg juror'. She did not deliberate, although she believes she was dismissed improperly.

Both have come forward in recent days.
Julie Grant just interviewed Mandy Pearce on her show this morning, and that woman was so very indecisive in her answers to Julie's questions I don't see how anyone can conclude anything from her. Geez, it was akin to watching paint dry trying to listen to her answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul
Back